Chapter 38
217 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before Estelle could even move a muscle, she noticed the Prince climbing on a desk. Once he stood on top of it, he cleared his throat.

“Everyone, attention! I, Rick Flossen, am recruiting members for my party. I’m looking for an attack-focused fighter, an endurance-focused brawler, an assassin and a ranged fighter. If you think you are up for the challenge, come here and tell me!”

‘As always, he doesn’t know shame. But I have no intention of letting you snatch all the best.’

Without even climbing on any desk, Estelle spoke out loud, and her voice immediately had everyone turn.

“I, the first ranked, am recruiting. Don’t even bother coming if you aren’t in the top fifteen. I’m looking only for strong people. I have no intention of carrying anyone.”

Just a few moments after, a pretty big kid stepped forward.

“I’m Andre von Rais! Is ranked second good enough for you? Ahahah.”

“Perfect, consider yourself in. Anyone else?”

After a few seconds, a little girl with long, cherry pink hair stepped forth.

“I’m Artemisia Wernher, ranked fifth. Dukes and princes aside, I’m the one ranked the highest. Am I worthy of the party with both the first and second ranks?”

“You may also consider yourself in. Everyone else in the top ten! Come and see. Can you imagine a better party than this one?”

Hearing her words, the crowd that had gathered to see who would join the first rank started whispering.

“Who can win against that monstrous of a party. Even if the last two who join them are the worst, they’ll hardly lose.”

“You’re probably right. I came here hoping to join her if she didn’t find anyone, but someone just in the top thirty like me will probably never get the chance. I might as well try and make my party at this point. Want to join?”

“Ah, maybe later. I want first to see all the parties who want me.”

As the crowd was losing their hopes of competing for the last spots, shocking news came.

“Have you heard? Theo von Macht joined the Prince! Even though he is a rank higher than him!”

“What? Seriously? Then that party now has top three and four together! They might be able to compete with von Sideria’s party. And speaking of raw strength alone, the Prince is better than the top three!”

‘So the Prince hit the jackpot, huh. Well, it isn’t over yet.’

Before looking for any more members, Estelle asked the other two members what their roles were to fill the remaining ones.

“So, what roles will you guys take? Even though the teacher said to ignore roles, we all know it’s not a good idea.”

Andre von Rais was the first to reply.

“I agree with you, so let me introduce myself. I’m Andre von Rais, from the von Rais duchy, and I take pride in my endurance. I might not be the most agile, but I won’t lose to anyone in endurance.”

“I’m Artemisia Wernher. I come from a Marquis family, and I am a well-rounded fighter. I mainly use lances to fight.”

“Listen, everyone; we need a skilled archer and an assassin!”

Another girl stepped forward.

“I’m Elene Bauer, the highest-ranked archer there is. Should be good enough, right?”

Estelle turned and looked at the others. Seeing them nod, Estelle proceeded to accept her.

“You’re in.”

“Very well. I think I can get the highest-ranked assassin type. He is outside of the top ten, but the placement test was unfavourable for assassins. He should be on par with us in terms of skills.”

“Who is it?”

“He’s ranked eleven, and he’s pretty shy. But if we ask him, he might join.”

Turning towards the others, she asked for their opinion.

“What do you think?”

“I’m sure none in the top ten are assassins, so it’s a good idea, in my opinion.”

“I also agree. I know no good assassins anyway.”

“You heard them. Go and get us an assassin, then.”

“I’m going, then.”

After a while, she came back with a guy of short stature, whose messy black hair covered a good portion of his face.

“Introduce yourself!”

Saying that, Elene gave him a little push. But that light push was enough to make him stumble a little and force him forward.

“H-hello. I I am Timéo! I-I’ll be in your care.”

“Are you sure this guy is any good?”

Looking at him from top to bottom, Andre von Rais raised his doubts in picking him. But, hearing him, the little guy suddenly found the courage necessary to raise his voice.

“I might be a little shy, but don’t belittle my capabilities! My family is known for giving birth to great assassin-type warriors!”

“Which family are you from?”

“I’m a Huffman!”

“Huffman? Well… maybe she wasn’t lying saying he’s the best assassin in our school year.”

Just the name of this Count family made Andre von Rais believe in him. That was what being from a reknown family meant.

“With this, we are a complete party. Let’s go and register!”

Estelle and her newly formed party then walked to the teacher.

“We would like to officialise our party!”

“Very well. So, we have Estelle von Sideria, rank one. Andre von Rais, rank two. Artemisia Wernher, rank five. Elene Bauer, rank seven. And finally, Timéo Huffman, rank eleven. Do you all confirm you wish to be part of this party?”

““Yes!””

Thus, the party with the highest average rank was formed.

***

Going back a little, to the start of the lesson.

Vince looked at the Prince, who had just climbed on the desk.

‘What a show-off.’

That’s all he thought, seeing him. Then he heard Estelle, whose voice silenced everyone.

‘And here’s the little princess… Oh well, let’s try and find a party.’

As he was about to start looking around, a crimson-haired girl approached him.

“Vince! Let’s party up! My brother recommended me to get in a party with you. So, why don’t you make your party?”

‘Making my party, eh. It sounds troublesome, but whatever. At least I won’t get bored.’

“Okay. Do you know who we could ask to join us? Don’t care too much about the rank. It’s more important that they are willing to listen to commands. A skilled soldier who doesn’t listen to orders is as good as an enemy hidden within your ranks.”

“I don’t know anybody, so let’s split and look for people.”

Vince and Nicole thus parted ways, each looking for some people.

Not long after, Vince came across Zack Lipsgold, whom he had met in the canteen.

“Hi Zack, how are you doing looking for a party?”

“I’m still looking around before deciding. I’m rank seventeen, so I shouldn’t have trouble joining a good party, but I’m not good enough for Estelle’s or Rick’s.”

“If you are interested, me and Nicole are making a party. We probably won’t have anyone ranked higher than us joining, but at least we get to pick our members.”

“It’s not a bad idea. I don’t think rank is everything that matters. Teamwork is more important.”

‘He’s sharper than I thought, especially for his age. Kids at this age tend to have a significant ego, and they aren’t capable of setting it aside yet. Even more so for nobles. Finding people willing to cooperate is more important than finding strong people.’

“I will probably end up as the leader of this party. So, if you are willing to follow my lead, feel free to join us.”

“Doesn’t sound so bad. I’ll join you.”

‘Good, this way one is gone. I should look for another one. I have no clue how many Nicole will bring back, but at worst, I can kick someone out.’

“Let’s go and look for one more. Nicole should find someone as well. But if you come with me, we have higher chances of recruiting someone good.”

Seeing two people in the top ten’s, many people tried to join. But all of them were rejected by Vince after just a little over a minute of conversation.

“Why are you rejecting all of them? There were two top twenties that you rejected!”

“You said it yourself; we shouldn’t care too much about rank.”

“Yeah, but… they looked like they were willing to listen to your commands.”

“But one of them was an archer, but we already have one. The other might have sounded willing to collaborate, but I doubt he actually would. He was too prideful and haughty.”

“I’ll trust you, I guess…”

As they were speaking, Vince spotted a tall and considerably big guy sitting in a corner.

‘Wait, I remember him! I had watched his fight against the goblin in the arena. He might not be a bad pick, considering his endurance and resistance. We need at least a tanky one.’

“Let’s go and ask that guy.”

“Why? All of a sudden, you want to be the one asking…”

“I’m sure you’ll see.”

They thus approached him.

Giving him his business smile, Vince spoke up.

“Hello! I’m Vince von Sideria. I’m forming a party, and I’m looking for a tank. I saw your match at the arena and thought you would be perfect for the role. So I wanted to chat with you for a little to try and see how well we could fit together.”

‘There’s also that other thing about him, though… he’ll certainly be useful.’

“Hi, I’m Gero Harlow. But are you sure you want me? I’m just from a baron house…”

“Don’t worry! Remember what the headmaster said. Ranks don’t matter in here. As long as you are willing to listen to my commands, everything is fine. I’m rank fourteen, you know.”

“Hmm… fine; I’ll join you if you want me.”

“With this, we should be fine. Let’s go and see whom Nicole found.”

Once Gero stood up, the three of them made their way to where Vince had parted with Nicole.

After a while, Nicole arrived, followed by three guys and a girl.

“I brought back some candidates. I told them you’d be the one picking.”

“Well done. I already got a tank, so the buff guy can go. I saw you during the physical exam. I know you are suited for tanking, but we already got our tank.”

“But I’m probably ranked higher than that guy. You should ditch him and take me instead!”

“What’s your rank?”

“Fifty-fourth.”

“Gero, what’s your rank?”

“Forty-second, sir.”

“Tsk.”

The first guy thus irritatedly left.

The girl brought by Nicole thus spoke up.

“The only role you seem to be missing is an assassin. I think I’m the only assassin-type here. I’m also not poorly ranked!”

“Assassin-type, huh. You can go; we need no assassins.”

This time Zack and Nicole both turned towards Vince.

“We need no assassin?”

“I won’t repeat myself. You two guys, what are your roles?”

But before they could answer, one of them turned, leaving those words behind.

“A party without an assassin, is this a joke? You can count me out. With such a party leader, you’re all doomed to fail.”

“Well then, only you remain. What’s your role?”

“I’m a fighter.”

“Are you willing to listen to my orders? I won’t allow any insubordination.”

“Sure.”

“Very well, you are in.”

Zack then came close to him and whispered something in his ear.

“Aren’t you asking for his rank?”

“No need, plus I know it already. He’s twenty-eighth.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Very well, let’s go and register.”

Thus, Vince’s party was also formed.

After a good while, the teacher announced the end of the lesson.

“Well, it’s time to go. The lesson’s over. I know many of you still haven’t found a party, but don’t worry. You’ll have five more days to come and register your parties. As you know, you are in the top 100 of your year, making up class A. Those who won’t find a party within the next five days will be demoted to class B. So, start working hard.”

“See you next week! You all will already start taking on some monsters as parties, so better be ready. Those who already formed parties take the opportunity to get to know each other in the meantime.”

After this last announcement, everybody left. But almost everyone was left wondering what kind of monster they’d be facing.

12