22 – Why am I even here?
215 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The Hua clan’s territory was located in the warm yet humid part of the Demon Realm, a reasonable distance away from the royal court. Youming Jun appeared to be reasonably familiar with this region however, having ventured there both in his most recent lifetime and in his previous one, albeit with wildly differing intentions, according to his own words.

Recently, he had only visited the fringes of it however, given that this particular section of the Demon Realm was home to a wide variety of medicinal plants – among them the Diānqié flower.

That wasn’t all of it however – that was far from it, as a matter of fact. Because this place was also home to a wide variety of demons, and famed for its nightlife. The most successful courtesans and other entertainers of the Demon Realm allegedly hailed from this region, as did its most skilled herbalists.

Furthermore, the region was known for its alcoholic beverages and other intoxicating substances, appreciated by locals and temporary visitors alike, and this together with the rest formed the foundations of a quite booming tourist industry.

These were by no means the only attractions though – not even the main ones, possibly. Because that honour went to the Great Cherry Blossom Forest, with cherry trees that bloomed practically all year round.

“Tacky as ever,” Bai Jixue commented, his features obscured by the veil. “More grotesque than I remember though.”

More grotesque than he remembered, huh? “How so?”

Jiao Ziyu asked because of honest curiosity. Because the seriousness of the situation aside, he found himself quite captivated by the scenery surrounding them.

Perhaps the trees did have that kind of effect on people though – on demons and humans alike. It possibly had an even greater effect on one of them though, and Jiao Ziyu wondered if it wasn’t the latter.

These trees were different from the ones in the Human Realm – originally, they might’ve been one and the same, but these ones had undoubtedly absorbed quite a bit of qi from the soil throughout the years and changed as a result.

Still⸺ “Why are they grotesque?”

“This place is grotesque because it is,” the immortal said, snapping his fan open and closed. “The trees are dying. They weren’t the last time I was here.”

Looking at the pink cherry blossoms surrounding them, Jiao Ziyu honestly couldn’t see it. To his eyes and to his other senses, these trees looked to be doing just fine. There was definitely something off about this place though, something vague yet strangely menacing that Jiao Ziyu should’ve probably worried about at least a little. Still⸺ “I wasn’t aware that you’d been here on previous occasions, Venerable Master.”

“I wasn’t aware it was any of your business, brat.”

Ah. Well, if Bai Jixue had indeed come here, then he might very well be as notorious in the Demon Realm as he was in the Jianghu – not an unthinkable thought for sure, and certainly not given that the other was clearly unkeen on showing his face.

Maybe he should’ve done it though, because if the immortal was truly as notorious in the Demon Realm as in the other one, then perhaps the mere sight of him would send the demons running in the opposite direction? Jiao Ziyu almost felt tempted to suggest it, although he obviously knew not to.

“They’re not at the palace,” the Demon Prince eventually concluded, no doubt referring to the large structure that Jiao Ziyu had caught a glimpse off before.

If they weren’t at the palace though, then⸺ “What do we do then?”

Youming Jun took a long moment to consider it, and probably mulled things over in his head as well. Considering what Jiao Ziyu knew of him and his previous track record, there was little doubt that the other felt inclined to make an example out of the lot and torch the place.

However, at the same time, such an approach might well prove detrimental if this Hua Hongzhu had thought better of her alleged plan and bailed, taking Yue with her as a bargaining chip, hoping to sue for peace.

Then again, what did Jiao Ziyu know? His knowledge, experience and understanding of Demon Realm politics was rather limited after all.

“If we target the palace directly, then we can forget about stealth,” Youming Jun said. “I can’t think of a more efficient way of drawing out Hua Hongzhu, but if I do it, well...”

He conjured up some flames simply to illustrate his point, and then said: “It wouldn’t be my first time torching this place, but I’d rather not. It’d give people the wrong impression about me and my ambitions.”

“Hoh?” the immortal said. “And you suppose I’d let myself to be used in such a manner?”

“Yes,” the Demon Prince shamelessly admitted. “I’d like to use you very much.”

Jiao Ziyu choked upon his own spit, quietly terrified for the other. Because this was Bai Jixue – Bai Jixue, for Heavens’ sake!

And as the immortal’s hand landed on top of the Demon Prince’s head, Jiao Ziyu definitely feared the worst. It ultimately proved unnecessary though, because Bai Jixue merely grabbed a fistful of hair and leaned in.

“You know,” the immortal said. “As much as I appreciate bluntness, I don’t particularly appreciate being viewed as a tool. A proper ‘please’ might take you a long way.”

It might, or it might also⸺

“Then would you please consider helping me out, Venerable Master Bai?”

Bai Jixue immediately huffed, turning away. “I refuse.”

Well, yeah, of course he’d⸺

“I’m doing this for myself!”

With this said, the other soon took to the treetops. In short order, he then brandished his fan.

First, he pointed it up towards the heavens, towards the clouds, and then, he swung it in a wide arch.

The effects were nearly immediate – clouds drew together, thickening, and temperatures plummeted. Then there was snow – small snowflakes whirling through the air; an artificial winter in a land that might’ve never seen anything like it.

Ice and snow might not have had the sheer destructiveness of fire, but given enough time and effort, the area might just end up a glacier – and the former Peak Lord Bai seemed quite ready to do just that, making Jiao Ziyu question if the other had some sort of enmity with the Hua clan.

Then, a thought suddenly occurred, accompanied by a sudden and sharp pain in his skull, and then, Jiao Ziyu remembered something.

A night hunt. An ambush. Demons. Butterfly Demon Dust. And then⸺

Oh, he  thought, rubbing his aching temple as he looked up towards the immortal up there controlling those frozen winds. Oh.

Coming to think of it, Butterfly Demon Dust did have other uses – in extremely small amounts, it could be used as a sedative. It did come with something of a drawback though – a drawback beyond the risk of overdosing, that is. It had a high chance of inducing amnesia, which was something that Jiao Ziyu had readily forgotten about right up until now.

Oh, he thought, because suddenly, it made sense. It did, because now he remembered – not a lot, but enough.

They’d been on a night hunt – he, Mingyue and a bunch of others; a rarity, seeing as to how Bai Jixue rarely ever allowed Mingyue outside – not outside the Green Jade Peaks, at least, and rarely even outside his own peak. Mingyue had rarely pressed the issue either, seemingly content to stick close, and yet⸺

Mingyue had come because Jiao Ziyu had convinced him, and then⸺

It was a blur, honestly, and Jiao Ziyu found his vision quite blurry as well when he raised his eyes towards the skies once more. He swallowed, feeling as if there might’ve been something stuck in his throat – tears, perhaps. He quickly forced the surfacing feelings back down though, because now really wasn’t the time – he could deal with them later, and afterwards, given the opportunity, Jiao Ziyu would go to Mingyue and apologise – apologise for forgetting and for failing to protect him.

Granted, the Mingyue of the present day hardly needed his protection. But back then, the situation had been another – Jiao Ziyu had sworn to look out for him and yet, when it ultimately came down to it, he’d been powerless to change anything – and even now, it was pretty much the same.

“Why am I even here?” he asked himself, looking on as the white-clad immortal unleashed his unholy fury upon the realm of the Hua clan. “Why?”

He couldn’t really do anything. He couldn’t really do anything but try to stay out of the way and⸺

“Someone’s coming,” Youming Jun reported, and since the other actually drew his sabre, he obviously deemed those approaching a threat. The threat couldn’t have been all that great though, because the Demon Prince soon stuck the blade into the frozen ground and leaned against it, adopting a quite casual yet strangely lordly expression right before the new arrivals entered the clearing.

And enter they did, stumbling and shaking, teeth clattering, and Jiao Ziyu snuck a momentary glance Bai Jixue’s way and thanked his lucky stars that, despite whatever misgivings the immortal might’ve had about him and Mingyue, Jiao Ziyu would most likely be safe from repercussions so long as he and Mingyue never⸺

“Esteemed visitors!” one of the demons called out; the leader, from the looks of it. “Please cease this assault on our beautiful valley! If we have in any way offended you, then surely there are other ways in which you can be compensated!”

The leader seemed to direct his call towards Bai Jixue, who responded by sending an icy wind their way before continuing with his efforts.

Next, the leader directed himself to Jiao Ziyu, who was obviously powerless to do anything and thus helpfully directed the demon’s eye towards Youming Jun, who stood there leaning against his sabre wearing what could only generously have been called a smile.

“Oh,” said the leader with obvious surprise. “Prince Youming Jun, what is the meaning of⸺?”

“Lord Hua,” Youming Jun said. “Long time no see. I’m here to take back something of mine.”

The other blinked, evidently confused. “Milord?”

“Hoh?” Youming Jun said, narrowing his eyes. “You mean to say that you don’t know?”

“Milord,” Lord Hua tried again, obviously struggling in the cold. “I can with certainty assure you that our clan does not have anything of yours in our⸺”

A surge of demonic qi cut him right off, and all the snow and ice in the area surrounding Youming Jun immediately evaporated.

“Is that so?” the half-demon asked, eyes gleaming red. “Then, Lord Hua, did this princeling simply imagine your daughter and her minions infiltrating his domain and kidnapping his spouse?”

Hearing this, Lord Hua’s face, as well as those of his attendants, immediately lost all colour. Then he bowed down, practically throwing himself onto the ground.

The words spilling over his lips were quick and, for Jiao Ziyu, completely incomprehensible. Youming Jun didn’t seem to have the same issue though because he simply hummed and nodded to himself as the man apologised profusely, professing his innocence and ignorance while pleading for mercy.

“Then this princeling shall take Lord Hua on his word and believe that the lord's daughter Hua Hongzhu and her minions were acting without the knowledge or approval of her father,” Youming Jun finally said, pulling his now glowing sabre out of the ground. “Thus, I will seek retribution straight from the source. Unless Lord Hua minds, of course?”

The demon in question bowed his head even lower. “This humble one will trust and submit to milord’s judgement. Hongzhu has overstepped her bounds. It is indeed unfortunate. This humble one regrets not disciplining her properly for consorting with those spiders! She hasn’t been the same since she went over to those caves!”

Spiders? Caves?

“The Blue Mountains?” Bai Jixue asked, landing beside them with a flutter.

Apparently, the conversation had proven interesting enough for him to abandon his endeavour at least temporarily, and Lord Hua and his cohorts visibly cowered. At the same time though, they kept sneaking wide-eyed glances at the veiled immortal.

In many ways, Jiao Ziyu found that he could relate. He too would’ve been in awe, had this been his first encounter. However, it was not, and he had both stories and personal experiences with the anomaly that was Bai Jixue. Granted, memories were not always reliable in the sense that they tended to exaggerate, but⸺

Bai Jixue had just made the entire valley into a cold and snow-covered landscape, and yet, he didn’t even seem winded where he stood, casually fanning himself. Could this man even be called a cultivator anymore? Had he ascended not just to immortality but into actual godhood?

“I know where they are,” Youming Jun suddenly said, cutting right into Jiao Ziyu’s thoughts. “I’m going.”

Hearing this, Jiao Ziyu opened his mouth and then closed it, and then⸺

“Wait,” Bai Jixue said, reaching into his sleeve. The immortal then pulled out that white ferret of his, holding it by the scruff of its neck. “Take this one along.”

That might not be such a great idea, considering just how violently Youming Jun had reacted to the thing’s presence the first time around.

However, when Jiao Ziyu chanced a glance, he was surprised to see the other lifting his hand to accept it.

The spirit beast in question didn’t seem overly thrilled by this development. However, after a rough shake from its contractor, the thing meekly scurried over to Youming Jun, who in turn glanced at Jiao Ziyu, raising an eyebrow as if to ask whether he was coming or not.

And on one hand, Jiao Ziyu should probably go if he wanted to see things through to the very end. However, that would also mean leaving this portion of the Demon Realm entirely to Bai Jixue’s largely non-existent mercy. Then again, even if he stayed, it wasn’t as though he’d be able to do much either, so⸺

A hand grabbed him by the lapels, tugging him backwards and away from the Demon Prince – for better or for worse, it seemed as though Bai Jixue had ultimately chosen for him.

Seeing this, Youming Jun didn’t linger – he vanished into one of his portals, bringing along both his sabre and Bai Jixue’s spirit beast.

After that, for a brief moment, everything was strangely calm. It was quiet too, but not for long.

First, there was the delegation from the Hua clan – still keeping their heads down, but clearly about to speak. They never got the chance though, because soon, there was another interruption – a large dimensional rift forming, spilling no small number into the clearing; demons, and ones obviously more suited for the current climate, going by both the attire and by the fur visible underneath their armour.

They were armed too, but their weapons remained at their waists as they moved to surround them.

In no time, they had formed a circle around them – around them and Lord Hua and his cohorts. The circle remained open towards one end however, and it was the direction facing the portal, which now admitted a familiar face into their midst.

“Mingyue?!”

 

6