To continue a thought experiment
62 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a goblin living under the direct influence of a god, the world was full of holy revelations and the intrusion of illogical phenomena. And Ayame accepted this unquestioningly. For the goblin did not understand human organizations. It did not understand what importance an Adventurer card held. But it understood that something changed in the world that day.

Now, instead of a wandering existence, it resided in a little room provided by the Guild in the attic, protected from rain and the threat of attacks in the night. Those familiar with old novels will know that in previous centuries higher floors also had lower rents, and garrets were known stereotypically to be the lodgings of students and artists. As so, Ayame was provided with a cramped nest in the attic, a garret for a new (albeit not so young or fresh-faced) Adventurer. Although uncomfortable for any normal-sized human, the sloping roof and the proportions of the room did not bother the goblin.

It was a welcome change from a life on the road. In the morning, the goblin would buy a breakfast from a food stall to take back to its room (dining in the tavern below would draw attention). In the afternoon it would work on a quest.

Though "Adventurers" were famed for going on "adventures", long journeys across countries, most requests were in fact regional. The goblin did not even have to leave the City for the first few days, as its work involved the "subjugation" of the vermin that infest all large cities.

Especially in the meat district, people were treated to the amusing sight of the goblin stalking giant rodents, hiding behind walls and butcher tables in an alert crouch. The people of Marvar enjoyed quirky existences. The childlike figure of the monster, dressed up like a doll, was endearing to them despite the reputation of the monster.

It was true that the monster had slain one Adventurer and maimed another. Yet death was a common thing, and the people of merchant cities took things with less seriousness, so long as it didn't involve their money. Life went on in the guild, though a few still bore a grudge.

So weeks passed, and the goblin was promoted to E-rank. The legend of its registration had spread throughout the city. Still, it lay low, venturing outside only to do its quests, and keeping to itself.

 

* * * * *

 

"We can't do it. Can you hear yourself? Sending a, a goblin to a noble House!"

"We can dispatch a messenger to bring back Gerha... but it will take at least three days. And who knows how he'll respond or what he's doing?"

"Don't we have anyone else?"

"We have many Adventurers, but few have experience hunting vermin class monsters, and none within the past months."

The Guild Official was instinctively opposed to such an act of such, indeed, remarkable eccentricity. Under his leadership, the Guild Office had gained a reputation of reliability, living comfortably in the middle of the pack as far as the Adventuring industry goes. He looked away from his interlocutor, seeming to be deep in thought.

The Receptionist did not share his administrative conservatism and freely continued.

"The way I see it, we have three options. One, we can contract people from another Adventurer Guild. This won't be hidden for long and will look unfavorably on us. Two, we can assign a small party to the case, promising them additional incentives not stipulated by the contract. Or three, we can give the job to the one most suitable and qualified."

The Official spent the afternoon away from the Guild. When he returned he asked the Receptionist to send the goblin over to the back office.

The next day, the goblin was presented to the noble house in question, accompanied by a messenger expressly dispatched by the Official to provide an introduction for the monster, apologetically explaining the circumstances. In such a way the unlikely pair was received in the main entrance.

The head servant, a staid old man with a fastidiously waxed moustache, became furious as the messenger's import became clear. Not only had a goblin, dressed up like a grotesque doll, been seen entering through the main entrance, but this very goblin was the one sent in response to their guild request. What an insult! Unable to resist, he stamped his foot like a young shopgirl and contemplated suitable punishments.

The Noble House had two sons. The first son was 19 years old and at an age most open to the influence of fashion and culture. From the small mezzanine that overlooked the entrance hall, he now observed the two strangers with amusement. In his mind, this event represented quite the opposite of dishonor. What was more sought-after these days than something quirky, somewhat grotesque, that would get people gossiping?

Playing the part of a dissolute youth, he made his entrance heralded by the playful squeal of a house slave. He asked what the matter was. The head servant, anticipating what he perceived to be the master's foolish whim, could barely suppress his irritation and began to stumble over his words. He was silenced with a finger.

The "dissolute youth" now adopted a business tone and asked the messenger to speak for the monster. The messenger, who did not care at all, smoothly enumerated the points he was told to say and bowed, hoping only that he could soon dispatch his pay in the accounts of a nearby brothel.

"Judging people on their appearances!" (cried the first son, chastising the stylish butler) "That's a sure way to surround oneself with incompetence."

"Indeed." (the Stylish Butler)

"Come, pay no attention to him." (the first son, relishing the anxiety of his servants as he walked side-by-side with the monster)

The first son was not the one who had put in the request to the Guild. However, he was aware of its details.

For the last few days, an inordinate number of fist-sized spiders had been seen around the family home. Owing to their numbers, the private guards were insufficient for dealing with them. Some of the scullions were infirm due to poison.

When the first son became aware of the outbreak, he recognized it as a birth event. The fist-sized spiders they saw were not adults but only babies, and would soon increase in size. It also meant a giant spider was hiding somewhere on the premises.

 

1