Chapter 1: Unwanted Escape
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A boy was sitting on top of a tree branch of a red tree. He had spiky black hair with dark brown eyes holding a black steel scythe. Looking at the grey sky thinking back on his earlier years of life.

The boy smirked.

It's been a while since I stayed in Forever Fall forest. Ever since I was brought when I was just born. The strange thing is that I still do not possess aura energy till this day.  My father, Ross Thorn is a huntsman and protects the researchers from the Grimms' harm. The camp I reside at was small but gained size over the years. Apparently the red trees hold a sap which seemed to be very interesting to the people researching it.

I remember traveling along with my dad through the forest seeing him finishing off Grimm. From that moment I knew I wanted to be a huntsman, but whenever I reached the age to go to combat school. The harsh reality that I didn't have aura kicked in, so my father as been training me on his own in the forest. He has always loved experimenting with different materials. As one day a scientist came with the idea to try to catch Grimm dust in a special cage and it worked. The dust did not disappear, after that my dad somehow changed it into liquid and rehardened it again making a new type of material called Grimm Steel. 

The boy looked at his scythe. It was completely black the rod and the blade part were completely melted together so that it would be impossible to ever separate them.

My dad made this for me using the Grimm Steel and it's very solid. I tried breaking it multiple times but it might really be one of the strongest metals in all of Remnant, but my weapon still being a prototype could not have a gun mode made in it but I am not sad about that at all. It has been several months since my dad is training me and I can already take down minor Grimm by myself. When I was a toddler my mom died protecting everyone in this camp. It was a Grimm never seen before. Instead of the usual black colour scheme it was completely white. My mom, Legina Thorn also known as the "Grimm Killer" had a semblance of what's effect was equal to silver eyed people. Every Grimm, my mom touched with her aura, died in an instant. Her semblance was said to be sealed within her sword and got taken away after she died after the battle.

The boy looked around as he saw the mist in combination with the red trees and mountains.

"This scenery never gets old" The boy said.

A man with black spiky hair and with the same brown eyes wearing light armour came up to him and called out his name.

"Reka!" The man exclaimed.

"Dad!" Reka replied back.

"It's time for another sparring session!" Ross said excitedly.

Reka jumped from the tree branch and followed his father to the research camp.

The research camp had several big tents and small special research facilities where they tested the sap for different experiments. With a small agricultural area where various vegetables were cultivated. The meat usually gets brought per cargo. In the back was a small improvised training ground with 3 steel dummies positioned at the back. Reka's father walked to the left side of the field and stood behind a white line, as Reka did the same to the left side of the field.

A woman walked over to the middle of the field. She had blond hair and dark blue eyes and was wearing a lab coat with stylish red sneakers.

"Ms Clara! How are you doing?!" My father asked.

Miss Clara is the head of the scientist group and also helped my dad with creating Grimm Steel, till this day they never mentioned this breakthrough to Vale or any other Kingdom, but oh well.

"Good, good and you Ross?" Clara asked back.

"Also doing great!" Ross replied.

Clara waved at Reka and he waved back.

"Should I count down for you guys?" Clara proposed.

"Yes please do!" Ross responded.

"Alrighty!"

"3!"

Ross unsheathed his custom weapon called ballistic swords. It was completely grey of color and it had 2 buttons on the handle, one in the front where he can shoot out the blades and a button at the back, which he can reel up to release a combat knife, so that he is not completely rendered useless when shooting the swords. The blades are detachable and the knives are retractable. 

"2!"

Reka pulled his scythe from his back. Its name was Ursula which comes from the Ursa Grimm creature.

"1!"

Both Reka and Ross were now in attack stance.

"Fight!"

Reka ran towards his father with full speed, while Ross ran slower almost seeming to be more on guard. 

Reka dashed at with a frontal diagonal swing, followed by a full rotational back swing which Ross all dodged, after that Reka started to rotate his scythe 2 hands while spinning around trying to hit a straight up slash, a horizontal slash and another diagonal slash which he all missed. Ross used that opening to rapidly start swinging his ballistics sword at Reka in which Reka held his scythe up front and guarded the hits until Ross hit him with a strong swing, causing the scythe to fly a bit back by the force, where Ross instead of going for the hit he instantly dashed backwards using his semblance called swift. Reka regained and went into a blocking position again. Ross dashed at him dropping one of his ballistic swords and grabbed Reka's head and pushed his body to the ground.

"Ouch!"

"I win, again!" Ross smiled.

Ross helped his son get up on his feet.

"Your moves are still too slow and learn to use the counters I have teached you." Ross said, giving feedback.

"Okay I see thanks Dad." Reka replied.

Miss Clara went up to the 2 of them.

"It's always fun to see you 2 duck it out." Clara said.

Ross smiled back and asked something.

"How is it going with the research on the mysterious tree sap?"

"Oh yeah uhh I think it might be fire resistant but we need to do more tests, so I am sending more samples back to the city." Clara answered.

"Ah I see, well time to head back to my guarding spot." Ross said.

"Wait there is one more thing I have to tell you!" Clara yelled.

"What?" Ross replied in confusion.

"There have been a couple of unauthorised people entering the forest and the investigation team lost track of them and do not engage with them please. It's not just 1 group but  2 and why they are here is not known." Clara explained.

"Thanks for the info." Ross thanked her.

Weird, I hope we won't get trouble with them.

"By the way sonny boy?" Ross said, asking for attention.

"Yeah?" Reka replied.

"Blaud and Kate are back from Signal taking a week break. Right now they are standing at the main research facility. I know you haven't seen them for months, so have a little chat." Ross said.

Reka nodded.

"Okay I will head out again to shout the area for Grimm." And with that said Ross ran out into the forest.

"Well, see ya later Reka I am going to hop the cargo train delivering some of  the goods." Clara said walking away.

Reka walked off the training grounds into the main part of the camp where he walked past big tents and a few small buildings until reaching the biggest facility at the end of the whole camp. 2 people were standing next to the entrance, one was a boy with purple hair and dark pink eyes wearing a black outfit and the other person was a girl with light brown hair and eyes, but her eyebrows were black, wearing a red with white outfit. They noticed Reka coming towards them.

Reka was now standing before them.

"Hey Reka long time no see!" The girl said tapping his shoulder.

"Hey Kate!" Reka greeted.

"Yo my favorite auraless boy, I mean you are the only one!" The boy tried to roast.

"Oh shut it Braud! Is that the first thing you say to your best friend after months!" Kate replied a bit irritated.

"Like you can talk, semblanceless!" Braud said, giving a satisfied smile.

"Ugh I want to choke you right now." Kate responded.

"Anyways hi bro." Reka said, interrupting their little fight.

"So how has it been here the last few months?" Beaud asked.

"Pretty good I gained some decent combat skills and how are things going at Signal?" Reka replied and asked curiously.

"Dude... SIGNAL IS AWESOME! We get basic combat training in both hand and sword, team building classes, language and math classes because they want to make us suffer. We also get Grimm Analytics where you learn the weak spots from the different types of Grimm currently known. Oh stamina training and of course.. MAKING OUR OWN WEAPONS!!!" Braud explained.

"Woah so it really is true! So show me what you made!" Reka said all excited.

"Uhhh we have it on us right now." Kate replied.

Reka looked down at their waists. They both have a simple sword. Kate holded a light blue with white shotgun and Braud a Light blue with black pistol.

"Those are your weapons? Aren't you supposed to combine sword and the range type in one weapon?" Reka wondered.

"Hmm yes, but.... We wanted to look awesome!!" Kate answered.

"Let's do the pose!" Braud proposed.

Kate and Braud stood back to back holding their guns in front of them.

"Doesn't this look badass!" Braud said.

"I guess it does." Reka replied.

Kate and Braud stood normally again.

"I guess I will go visit dad now." Braud said.

"Well he must be together with my mom. Yo Reka do you have any idea where they are?" Kate asked.

"Well today is the day my mother fought that Grimm." Reka answered.

"Oh yeah." Braid said with a painful face.

"Let's check the graveyard." Kate suggested.

With that they left the main research building and started to walk to the middle of the camp where they turned at the left following a grey path. After a while an steel gate could be seen.

They arrived.

They walked through the gate entering the cemetery as various graves could be seen. Most of them were scientists who died during a Grimm attack, others were the huntsmen and huntresses that tried to protect them.

They walked all the way till the end of the cemetery where a single quite bigger gravestone could be seen. 2 people were standing before it. It was a man and a woman.

"Mom!" Kate shouted.

The woman turned around and she had long light brown hair, yellow eyes and the same black eyebrows as Kate.

Kate, Reka and Braud ran up to them

"Hi sweetie! How is everything going?" The woman asked.

"Pretty great!" Kate replied.

The man who also turned around dark purple hair and the same pink eyes with 6 freckles on his right cheek. 

"Yo dad." Braud said.

"Hey Braud, oh I see you're here too Reka!" The man said with a smile.

Emilia Freight and Marc Jenet. They were in the same team along with my dad called team LREM where my mom used to be the team leader. After she passed away the team kinda disbanded, but they never stopped talking. They all do their own things in the camp now. Mainly lookouts and protecting jobs.

"Hey Reka sorry I almost looked over you!" Emelia said.

"Haha don't worry about it." Reka responded with a friendly tone.

"So where is Ross?" Emelia asked.

"He is currently on lookout." Reka answered.

"I see anyway I want to take a closer look?" Emilia asked.

Emilia and move away so that Reka could get in a close look at the grave it said:

In great honour of herotic huntress that always tried her best protecting everyone.

Legina Thorn.

Under it there was a picture of her holding Reka when he was a baby.

His mom had short pink hair and dark green eyes and was smiling.

Weird that I totally look like my dad. I wish I had the ability to remember the time with my mom. How can I ever become as heroic as you? I don't even have an aura. This sucks. Why did you have to die? I wanted you to spend time with me, enjoying life together.

Reka eyes were getting a bit teary.

"Reka are you alright?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, let's head back." Reka replied, wiping his tears. 

Marc proceeded to say something.

"Legina was the best team leader we could have ever had. We will never forget what she did for us and for the rest of the people."

Emilia nodded, as Braud and Kate smiled.

Emilia's device went off and took a peak at it.

"Marc we have a cargo protection mission." She said to him.

"Roger that! The rest of you head back without us. Have a nice chat since it's been a while since you last saw each other." Marc replied and announced.

With that said they ran out of the graveyard.

Reka and his friends talk to each other, sparred where Reka got his butt kicked and had some food together. The grey sky was getting darker and night time was getting closer.

"I had fun today." Kate said 

"Yeah." Reka replied.

"I mean we are here for a week so we can head to the City." Braud proposted.

"That would be awesome!" Kate responded.

"Anyways see you guys tomorrow." Reka waved goodbye.

After that Reka went to the bath facility that was close to the living area of the camp.

Where he went over to his huge tent putting the scythe on the ground and went over to his bed and layed on it, when his father entered the tent. 

"Dad, were you crying again?" Reka said sitting up again.

"Don't worry about it." Ross replied while sitting on his bed.

Reka stood up and gave his dad a hug.

"I still miss your mother after all these years visiting the grave just reopens the scar." Ross said in a sad tone.

"I get it I really wanted for mom to still be with us." Reka said.

Ross wipped his tears and said.

"Anyways tomorrow is a new day!" Ross said pepping himself up.

"Yeah lets go to sleep." Reka replied.

Next Morning

Explosions, Growls and screaming could be heard. Reka woke up.

"What is happening?!" 

He reached for his scythe and dressed up quickly and headed outside of his tent. He sees his dad, Marc and Emilia fight against Grimm.

"DAD WHAT'S GOING ON?!" Reka screamed.

Ross sliced through an Ursa Grimm and replied.

"Someone cut through all the trees around the camp and the sap is known to attract Grimm." Ross explained.

"Darn it it's a whole army!" Emilia added.

"It doesn't make sense even with the sap it shouldn't be that much!" Marc said in suspitition.

Darn it this does not sound good.

The Grimm army consisted of Ursas, Beowolfs, Boarbatusks, Nevermores and Sabyrs.

A Beowolf came behind Reka. He guarded against its claw attacks and dogged its lunge where he rotated his scythe and did a horizontal slash through his mask making the beowolf evaporate.

"Yeesh that was close!" Reka sighed.

In the distance Miss Clara with a few other scientists were shooting at the Grimm.

"You bastards!" Clara said while trying to exterminate all the Grimm.

But a Boarbatusk rammed her which made her fly against the one of the tents her aura protected her from the blow.

"Miss Clara!" Reka screamed.

"I'm fine Reka I can take these imbeciles!" Clara said heading back to battle.

"REKA DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT WE CAN HANDLE THIS!!" Emilia said.

"Listen my son and Kate have already left the camp deeper into the forest. I need you to join them. There is no way that you can take on this many Grim at once!" Marc added.

"But I want to help!" Reka replied.

"REKA JUST LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID GO!! THIS IS AN ORDER!!" Ross screamed.

"But..." Reka tried to say something.

"Don't worry my son's semblance is sure to be active, so don't worry he will see you." Marc said.

More Grimm were heading their way.

"Listen we have no time left to chat anymore, so I will tell you something. To be a huntsman isn't to have finished all the education, but to have the desire to protect the people even if it costs your life. That is what your mother told me when we first met." Ross said with a smile.

"More Grimm incoming!" Emilia shouted.

The Grimm were surrounding the 4 of them.

"We gotta make way for Reka to pass!" Marc exclaimed.

"Affirmative!" Emilia replied.

As the Grimm now rushed towards all them Emilia used her semblance called burst.

"Burst!" She exclaimed.

A short powerful whirlwind of yellow aura came out of her body exterminating the Grimm close to her.

Marc used his semblance called shooting hands. Where he held put his hands and 2 aura hand got shot out, when they reached 2 Grimm, Marc closed his hands and did a pulling up motion launching the Grimm sky, where he then changed his longsword into a smg and shot the grimm in the sky making them evaporate.

Ross used his swift semblance and slashed through multiple Grimm.

A clear way was now made.

"REKA GO BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" Ross screamed at his son.

Reka clenched his weapon and started to run as a Ursa came at him from afar. When the Ursa launched at him, he sidestepped to the right and did a full 180 rotation slash.

While Reka was running further away from the rest he looked back one more time, as Marc, Emilia and his Father gave him a final smile.

Reka could not help but cry, as he was escaping deeper into the forest.
------------------------------------------------------------

Well this was my first chapter I hope you all enjoyed it!

Please tell me how you found it. Good, Bad or something else.

I know RWBY is kind of a mess lately but I doubt I am better than them at writing coherent plot XD.

This was kind of a pilot so please tell me if you want more.


0