Chapter 1 Visit to the countryside
68 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a dark age for mankind, a period of history left buried by the horrors pertained, of which the survivors kept sealed in the deepest part of their heart, on the hope of forgetting the tragic events that unfolded.

All written records have been burned to ashes, to never again have to recall the unspeakable truth of the past, all but one insignificant book, of which the events of history have been clearly engraved.

What Lu Yang liked the most was adventure. Since childhood, he admired the countless stories his mother would read to him during bedtime, and although the era for those epic stories had long since passed, he still sought any sort of excitement in his daily life, ranging from trifling matters like exploring the neighbourhood, to more adequate things like camping, or traveling.

It was on one of those adventure seeking trips he took, that he found an old cave hidden by the wild grass inside a thick pack of trees.

It was summer, and Lu Yang and his family went to the countryside of the city, where his grandparents lived.

It was a small house isolated from the rest of the world, surrounded by nature.

Lu Yang was excited about this visit to their grandparents. He couldn't wait to dive deep into the wilderness and explore it to his heart's content.

The journey would last an entire half a day, going through the entire city of Jin Yuan, all the way to the plains on the west. Traversed the border, the grey, concrete buildings of the modern city slowly disappeared from sight, revealing the undefiled remains of nature.

There was but one road to navigate through the border, surrounded by an increasing amount of trees of various sizes.

Lu Yang sat on the car unmoving, gazing dazedly at the scenery outside. In his mind, he recalled the countless stories he had read in his seventeen years of life, and compared their descriptions to the dashing silhouettes outside the car window.

It wasn't the first time he had seen such scene, but it was nonetheless a sight rarely seen in the industrialized city.

While Lu Yang was still glued to the scenery outside, he was started off by an excited cry of amazement from his side.

Turning his head around, his gaze focussed on the person crouching on the seat opposite him.

A petite girl, gifted with vibrant black hair, flowing down to her waist like fine silk. She was his little sister Chun Yu, a lively twelve years old.

She was looking outside the window with eyes wide open, and an agape mouth to pair them. When she turned around to Lu Yang, his sister's clear, shining black eyes greeted his vision.

She called with a melodious voice: "Big brother, look! There is a deer there!".

Seeing how excited she was, the usually curious Lu Yang didn't even take notice of the rare animal passing quickly outside their car, instead, he was focussed on the cute little creature before him, engraving the appearance of her figure into his memory.

Seeing the smiling girl in front of him, Lu Yang's heart stirred, pain surfacing his chest. He looked at her, eyes hiding suppressed sorrow. Unwittingly, he held his breath, intensifying the swirling of emotion in his heart.

His little sister was sick. Half a year ago, she was diagnosed with an incurable disease, one that was completely foreign to the medical experts. Doctors predicted she wouldn't survive for more than three years without a proper cure, giving his sister counted days to live.

The person in question is completely unaware of her own circumstances, allowing her to have her current carefree lifestyle.

They had chosen to let her live a normal life, covered with all the affection their family could offer in order to make up for it.

But being aware is crueler than ignorance. Each day, they have to confront their beloved girl, their bright, lively girl who always had a smile on her face, fully aware that the smile wouldn't last for long. They had to do their utmost to keep their kind faces in front of her, while indescribable pain tugged their chest.

"Big brother?"

While Lu Yang was suffering from his inner turmoil, he was jolted back to reality by the call of her sister. Seeing her worried face, a bittersweet feeling arose in his heart, as he cursed the heavens for being unfair.

Without delay, he recovered his facade, hiding his inner turmoil, and reassured his little sister.

"I'm fine, I just dozed off a bit looking at your cute face".

Hearing such words, Chun Yu's face reddened on sight, as she smiled sheepishly and buried her face in her soft wool shirt.

Seeing her adorable reaction, the fog in Lu Yang's heart cleared up a bit.

He subconsciously reached his hand and stroked her head gently.

Chun Yu liked this feeling, she closed her eyes, letting her head sway gently following the prompt of her brother's hand.

On the seats in front of them, the father-mother pair had amused smiles on their faces.

Their mother was seated on the left front seat, watching the two siblings from the rear-view mirror.

Her tall figure was concealed by her posture, while her inky shoulder length hair drifted about with the movement of the vehicle.

She was a caring mother and a headstrong woman. When she learned of her daughter's condition, she felt like a piece of her heart had been violently torn away.

Mustering all her willpower, she showed none of that on her face, treating Chun Yu with all the care she couldn't give after her passing.

Their mother watched the brother and sister pair, and would occasionally drop a glance next to her, where her husband was seated.

He was driving with a crouched posture, result of his long years of desk work.

Their father was a man of few words, while always carrying a faint smile.

He kept driving the car in silence, glancing at the rear-view mirror once in a while to look at his children.

The family of four kept traveling at a constant pace, eventually reaching their destination when the sun burrowed below the horizon.

Their grandparents' house stood before them. A big, two stories tall building presented before them amidst the black envelope of the night.

The four people got out of the car one after another, walking towards the building while watching their steps.

The entrance door was dimly lit by the faint light inside, providing enough vision for the four to get to the entrance without mishap.

After ringing the bell next to the door, they waited patiently, fighting their urge to fall down in slumber.

Lu Yang was standing behind his parents, with his sister in tow.

They were both very tired from the travel, but because she had a weakened body, Chun Yu couldn't resist her intense need to rest, as she leaned her weight against Lu Yang's flank.

Lu Yang sustained her fragile body with his arm on her waist.

He enjoyed the feeling of her tiny body laying against his, and couldn't suppress his urge to rub her head. Chun Yu was half asleep, midway through dreamland, and the gentle rubbing to her head soothed her tired mind, severing the last straw keeping her awake.

Lu Yang already felt her sister's body relax, and caught her body in a timely manner when her legs gave out.

Her body gently lay on his arms, as he kept her in a princess carry, waiting for someone to welcome them from the door.

It wasn't long before the door finally opened, revealing a short figure slowly walking towards them.

The person had a slightly slouched back, walking slowly towards them with the help of a wooden stick.

When Lu Yang peered over his parents back, he could see the figure of his grandfather, his features slightly more wrinkled than the last time they met.

He welcomed the group of four with a happy smile, and beckoned them to enter, saying with a husky, yet gentle voice, "Come in".

His grandfather was a man of few words, just as his father. With that one sentence, he turned around and guided them into the house.

The entrance was simple, a shelf on the side, containing various old fashioned shoes, a bin used to store umbrellas, and a carpet right before a short threshold, introducing a wooden pavement that ran throughout the house.

They traversed through the spacious corridor, of which doors could be seen on each side, separated in an equal distance in between.

They reached the end of the corridor, where a door was turned open, revealing the living room inside.

The faint scent of wood permeated their nostrils as they strode in with even steps.

The inside was neatly furnished with a wooden table and chairs in the middle, a wide, magenta sofa was placed just next to the entrance on his right, its colour turned bleak with the passage of time, with the addition of a shelf in the opposite side, on top of which was placed an old television.

Lu Yang entered the room and gently laid Chun Yu on the sofa, her petite body sinking on the soft makeshift bed.

Her chest heaved lightly from her faint breathing, moving about her undeveloped twin peaks. Her long black hair flowed down her shoulder, twirling about behind her bent arms. Her legs rose with a slight move, emanating a subtle elegance that enchanted people on sight, painting the perfect picture of a sleeping beauty.

Lu Yang was mesmerized by the graceful scene before him, as he went into a trance. He traced the silhouette of her body with his eyes, from her fair face, her luscious hair, her shoulders, her chest, her stomach, down to her hips, her bent legs, and those petite feet with glistening nails.

Lu Yang felt his emotions stir; he loved her sister, more than anything else in the entire world, if there was a way to cure her body, he'd be willing to go through any lengths to do so, no matter the cost.

It was only after a loud thump behind him, that he managed to snap out of his daze.

Turning around, he could see his parents setting the luggage next to a room on his right, where his grandparents' bedroom was. It has been a long time since the last time he came here, so Lu Yang took his moment reminiscing the memories of the past. He looked in front of him, where beyond the table was a door leading to the backyard. It was an open space leading to the outside, adorned with the fields his grandparents cared for. Turning around, he was the room next to the sofa, which led to the second floor, an inhabited place mainly used as a storage. He remembered the first time he came here. He'd move from place to place, digging up the hidden "treasures" his grandparents stored inside.

Reminiscing in nostalgia, his attention got caught by the clanging sound coming from the room opposite the bedroom. It was where the kitchen was, where his grandmother was probably preparing some delicacies to soothe the hungry stomachs of her guests.

Smelling the scent of food that overshadowed that of wood, Lu Yang quickly grew expectant. He was able to endure it at first, but after the enticement from the smell, his hunger came hitting him all at once. He strode forward with quick steps, quickly passing the curtain of walls covering his vision.

Her grandmother was, as expected, cooking some fried rice, following her secret "grandma's recipe" all grandmothers had.

He spoke out with an eager tone, "hello grandma, what are we having for dinner?".

Hearing her grandson's voice, she turned around, revealing her well-maintained face. Scrutinizing her grandson, she spoke out at once, "You brat, you just came home yet the first thing you think about is food!".

Her words were scorning, yet her tone was gentle, carrying a sense of doting.

She then smiled, saying with an even gentler tone, "It's almost ready. We're having your grandma's special fried rice today".

Hearing his grandmother's admonishment, Lu Yang lowered his head slightly in embarrassment. He stood by the side, obediently waiting for her to finish cooking, occasionally passing her some ingredients she needed.

Just like that, dinner was soon ready, and everyone gathered at the table.

Chun Yu was still soundly asleep on the sofa, oblivious of the increasing chatter growing in the room.

As much as Lu Yang wanted to leave her in dreamland, he still had to wake her up.

They haven't had the opportunity to have a proper meal whilst traveling, and his sister's body was sick on top of that.

He made to the sofa with two strides from the table, reaching his hands to shake her small shoulder.

Chun Yu moaned lightly in protest. Amidst her slumber, she heard a familiar voice calling out her name.

"Yu... Chun Yu! Wake up, Chun Yu! It's time for dinner!"

Hearing the voice she liked the most, Chun Yu slowly awakened.

As she opened her big round eyes, the first thing that came upon her sight was the face she wanted to see.

"Big brother"

She called out of convenience.

"Mn, good evening. It's time to eat dinner, come"

Lu Yang answered in a gentle and caring tone. He propped her up the sofa and supported her yet sleepy self to the table.

The family sat at the table big enough to host everyone.

Systematically placed on the table were a big bowl of fried rice, one for each person, and a couple of side dishes to go along.

Braised fish with chili and soy sauce, fried pork belly, covered with a thin layer of sweet glaze. Next to the meaty dishes were the vegetables. Fried cabbages, sliced cucumbers, and a plate of braised bok choy.

The smell of food hit Chun Yu's nostrils, successfully clearing her sluggishness away.

The family said their thanks and started digging on the food.

The bowl of fried rice was very fragrant, containing bits and pieces of vegetables and other ingredients, including peas, carrots, red pepper, and scrambled eggs.

It emanated a very light aroma, in contrast with the strong smell of the meaty dishes.

Lu Yang picked up his chopsticks, picked a clump of rice, and ate it with eager expectation.

The lightly salted and fried rice, coupled with the subtle sweetness of the vegetables, resulted in a perfectly light and balanced flavour that one would not grow tired of.

He exclaimed in praise, "It tastes amazing!"

Chun Yu held the chopsticks tightly, her face full of bliss. She picked some rice with an expectant expression, ate it, and her face brightened again.

Their parents were also giving nods of approval.

His grandfather sat on the side, his face revealing a proud expression, as if flaunting his treasure for everyone to see.

His grandmother just gave a slight chuckle, her face brimming with an unconcealed smile.

The meal progressed with great fanfare, with each dish showing off their unique taste to the table.

The braised fish was flavorful, filled with the umami from soy sauce, accompanied by the tender texture of the fish, and the hot spice from the red chili flakes scattered throughout the dish.

The taste was so intense, that it left everyone infatuated. Lu Yang could not help but to place one piece after another onto his bowl, eating it in combination with the milder flavour of the rice.

Chun Yu, on the other hand, had her eyes brimming with tears. Her tolerance for spices was weak, yet she found herself bringing her chopsticks back to the dish time and time again.

Soon enough, the plate of fish, which was only so big, was cleaned out by the flurry of assaults from the chopsticks.

Everyone's gaze then moved towards the next dish on queue, the pork belly.

The pieces of pork belly piled over each other, making a mountain of meat. Lu Yang was the first to move, reaching out, and putting a piece of meat into his mouth.

Immediately, the crisp layer outside gave him the surprise of a firm crunch, followed by the sweet taste of the glaze, which slowly mixed with the taste of the meat itself.

The taste and texture were so delightful that Lu Yang forgot to speak, he simply continued wide-eyed to put more into his mouth.

The other family members were no less gluttonous, eating the meat at an incredible speed.

After clearing the plate of pork belly as well, the family moved onto the vegetables.

The cabbage was chopped finely, pan-fried with small pieces of bacon and onions, seasoned with simple salt and pepper.

The flavour of the cabbage mixed with the fragrant taste of the bacon and onion, making a light, yet flavorful dish.

Although Chun Yu didn't like eating vegetables, she made an exception for this one, and ate it with as much enthusiasm as before.

The rest of the dishes, however, were plain and simple, yet it was this simplicity that shone amidst the complexity of the rest.

The bok choy had a mild taste, seasoned with little salt, accompanied by its natural flavour.

The sliced cucumbers, on the other hand, were a great palate cleanser, though they didn't serve their purpose, as everyone was drawn by the other dishes.

The dinner ended as the last slice of cucumber was consumed.

Lu Yang and Chun Yu sat on the sofa, their stomach bloated from the small feast.

Their parents went to arrange the luggage, while their grandfather sat on the same spot, watching the evening programs on the old television.

Their grandmother came out from the kitchen after clearing the table, bringing with her a tray of teacups.

A cup of tea on their hands, the two of them rested with crossed legs, enjoying their post meal break, sipping hot tea from time to time.

The night had long since started the moment they reached here, and by the end of the meal, the clock had already hit 11pm.

It was late, and the family prepared to head to bed.

Lu Yang's parents moved to one of the rooms by the corridor, while the two of them moved to another one.

Originally, his grandmother prepared two rooms for the both of them, but because of Chun Yu's persistent request, they ended up sleeping in the same room.

Chun Yu entered the room first, marking her ownership by throwing herself onto the bed.

There was a moment of silence, as she lay there motionless.

She then got up, turned around and looked at Lu Yang with bright eyes.

Patting the bed she said, "Big brother, hurry! come! Sit here!"

Lu Yang felt helpless at his sister's requests. He smiled bitterly as strode his way on the bed.

He sat by her side, their eyes making contact.

Chun Yu said no more: she ducked her head on his lap, snuggling in an attempt to find the most comfortable position.

When she finally set herself down, she glanced at Lu Yang with the corner of her eyes, as if signaling him to do something.

Lu Yang found the scene quite funny.

He reached his hands to her head, left hand stroking her scalp, while the other slid down along her lustrous black hair.

Chun Yu felt an inexplicable sense of pleasure from her brother's grooming. With every movement of his hands, their soft presence made her feel secure.

The both of them kept acting on this bonding action, until Chun Yu finally drifted off from the prompting of that soothing sensation.

Lu Yang propped her limp body up, positioning herself on the innermost side of the bed.

Before getting to bed himself, he promptly turned the thoughtfully installed air conditioner on. Although the countryside was colder than the urban area, it was summer nonetheless. Even at night, the temperature wouldn't be lower than 20°C. Coupled with the earlier snuggling with his sister, he felt his whole body tinged with a few droplets of sweat.

The air conditioner blew out cold air, successfully cooling down his body.

He strode to the entrance, where the switch was, and turned the lights off.

Though the moon reflected a faint light from the window, Lu Yang still found himself tumbling on some unknown objects amidst the darkness. Going by sheer memory, he eventually found his way to the bed.

Once he was close enough, his sister's faint breathing was audible in the silence of the night. He slid himself on the bed, careful to make no sound, and covered the both of them with a soft blanket.

Although he could not see her, Chun yu's breathing signaled her presence, and Lu Yang unwittingly found himself embracing her dainty little body. They had done it countless times before, enough to become a habit, thus he was scrupleless on laying his hands on his little sister.

He felt at peace with his sister in his embrace, and slowly nodded off into slumber as well.

 

 

 

 

 

First chapter finally out!

It took me over three weeks to make this one chapter, struggling through lack of motivation and school. 

I hope you liked it, and by all means leave me a comment with your thoughts about the plot or my storytelling.

AngeloCc

1