Chapter 22: Rui’s Dark Past Unfold
320 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As soon as classes were over, I made my way to the rooftop. Takahashi vanished without a trace.
 
 
"Sorry Kurisu, I have some business to take care of."
 
 
I feel bad declining Kurisu's invitation to accompany her home but this must be prioritized. Looking confused she just nodded.
 
 
Pink blossomed the puffy cotton ball clouds in a rosy sky. Her hair became more vibrant as it synchronized.
 
 
Standing near the lanky fences is Takanashi Rui.
Walking towards her to notice, she turned around to face me.
 
 
Her eyes were downcast with a face filled with grief.
 
 
She paused for a moment before speaking.
 
 
"Thanks for coming Asamura"
 
 
I gave a nod, asking her to continue.
 
 
"I'll get to the point. I apologize profusely for kissing you."
 
 
So that's what bothering her? I had the impression that she was making that face for a reason.
 
 
"Do you feel guilty over it?"
 
 
"I imposed myself on you. I didn't even ask for your feelings. I'm no better than them."
 
 
"Should I have fought back so you wouldn't blame yourself?"
 
 
"That's-!... Don't you hate me for kissing you?"
 
 
"No, I don't really."
 
 
"I see. I couldn't control myself at that time. It was a perfect chance."
 
 
"Did you think I'll start hating you because of that?"
 
 
"I never thought you were that kind of person."
 
 
"Then why?" With a hushed tone, I asked calmly.
 
 
"Ah-! Because..."
 
 
She's paused, then.
 
 
"I feel bad about it. Feeling I'm the worst, I can't help but wonder why I did it. There's nothing between us and yet."
 
 
"Feel free to blame yourself but you'll stay the same Takanashi for me."
 
 
"Are you saying you didn't feel anything when I kissed you?"
 
 
Swaying my head I responded.
 
 
"I feel everything from you. Your feelings, emotions... I couldn't respond."
 
 
"I'm not sure whether I'll be glad or sad hearing that."
 
 
I honestly felt her strong feelings, it wasn't lust."
 
 
"So who do you mean by 'them'?"
 
 
Showing a shocked expression concealing her pain, I couldn't help but ask.
 
 
"Would you like to hear Asamura-kun? I'm sure you're going to despise me after this."
 
 
"I promised I wouldn't."
 
 
Placing her right hand above her chest, collecting herself. She glared at me with sincere eyes.
 
 
"It wasn't a pleasant story though. It's twisted that I don't wanna talk about this."
 
 
~~~ Rui's PoV
 
 
My mom was working in a Pub, a single mother since my father had been gone since I was young. She worked hard since the Pub operates at night till morning, we barely talked and interacted. Mom was too busy she didn't pay me attention sometimes.
 
 
That's where it escalated. In my 3rd year of middle high school, a vague rumor started. My mom was rumored as a slut who sells her body at night. Since mom was working at a Pub, everyone got hooked into it and it spread throughout my middle high.
 
 
It all started with a certain neighbor, who would steal glances whenever I passed by their house. I even thought he was spying on us. He literally looks like a creep to me so I ignored him.
 
 
One afternoon after class, rain was pouring. I didn't bring an umbrella, I forgot to bring it because I was in a hurry. Wondering how I'll run through, someone approached me. Noticing who it was, I felt chill.
 
 
"Rui-chan. You didn't bring an umbrella?"
 
 
"Um- Erm.." I simply nodded.
 
 
"If that's the case, you're welcome to share mine."
 
 
I didn't like to share with him but I didn't have a choice. Refusing his offer was difficult.
 
 
We began walking all the way to my house. He was talking non-stop like a broken record, I couldn't understand him at all. With two of us being this close, I instinctively kept my distance trying hard to not keep our shoulders bumping.
 
 
I feel as if I'm being engulfed into something murky and wicked, I want to flee!
 
 
Until we reached the gate of my house he stopped for a moment. Waiting for him to say something, I was panicking. He went quiet for a while, I felt fear. Then turning his head to me, his hazel almond-shaped eyes penetrating gaze struck me.
 
 
"Um..."
 
 
"Rui-chan..."
 
 
"Uh- y-yeah." I was stuttering and trembling.
 
 
"Ever since you moved here I've been interested in you.
So will you go out with me?"
 
 
Eh?! I was struck by lightning. Unable to move and left stunned. My mind was in shambles.
 
 
What is he saying all of a sudden? There's no way I'll ever date him. What should I do? I need to reject him.
 
 
Closing my eyes, mustering my courage, I made up my mind.
 
 
"Um... I'm- I'm sorry."
 
 
Opening the gate, I rushed inside leaving him alone in the rain. I was slightly wet but it didn't matter. He was standing there, shocked, dumbfounded. He wasn't expecting I would reject him.
 
 
It was terrifying. I've had been confessed many times before but this was the most difficult. I immediately took a bath after that. I couldn't relax so I stayed longer than usual.
 
 
The next morning, strangely everyone was avoiding me. Even my close friends weren't looking at me. I felt a disturbance in my heart, fear was running through my head. Just what happened after a single night?
 
 
Sitting on my desk alone, classes started. It went dry and smooth, everything drastically changed like I went through a 180-degree turn.
 
 
When I went through the canteen that's where I heard it. Even when I was close they're openly gossiping about my family.
 
 
My food tastes awful, I couldn't tell if the flavor was lacking or not.
 
 
Rumor says that my mom was working in a Pub, working like a  prostitute who sells her body to any man at night. They even speculate that I was doing the same thing.
 
 
I was left thinking who would spread such baseless rumors about us, then what happened after school yesterday crossed my mind. Is it him who did this?
 
 
My mind was murky and I couldn't think straight. I couldn't adapt to all these changes.
 
 
When I was walking home, I wasn't paying attention and bumped into someone. It was him, upon knowing it's me, he clicked his tongue and left. Her eyes are bloodshot with disgust.
 
 
I didn't pay attention and just went home.
 
 
Two weeks passed and I continued the same routine of being alone. Nobody wants to associate with me but well, I can't blame them.
 
 
I don't hate my mother for working in a Pub as a bartender. Contrary to that I'm thankful to mom so I didn't let her notice.
 
 
Suddenly, two girls with long earrings, thick makeup and dyed hair approached me. One was tanned with blonde hair and the other has silver hair that's punk-looking. Upon entering my view, I was wondering what their purpose was.
 
 
"Heyaa! We're hanging out, wanna join us?"
 
 
At first glance, you would notice they're bad news. I was trying hard to refuse because all my classmates acted like bystanders, nobody was trying to help me.
 
 
"Um..."
 
 
"I'm Ayane, this silver-haired is Satsuki."
 
 
The tanned girl was Ayane.
 
 
"We've heard the rumors, they're idiots believing such rumors.
We've come to be your friends."
 
 
"You look like someone who needs friends right?
We don't mind the rumors."
 
 
They're pushy and I ended up going with them not knowing where they're gonna take me.
 
 
Walking through the streets full of city lights. Tall buildings and strange shops everywhere offering services. It's so crowded I almost lost them. Until we arrived at a karaoke bar.
 
 
With a huge advertising signboard offering free drinks, this place looks shady. We went inside, they booked a room. Upon entering, an unpleasant scent invaded my nostrils. The room smells like alcohol with a mix of artificial juices. Aren't we just gonna sing?
 
 
"Rui-chan, you can sing. We're gonna wait for others." Sakura-san told me.
 
 
"Others? Who are they?"
 
 
"Friends. Just sit back and relax. Everything be fine."
 
 
Few minutes passed and three boys entered the room. They're handsome looking.
 
 
"Sakura, what we got here!"
 
 
"Oh, Kamura! Welcome."
 
 
"Who's this beauty right here?" A silver ash-haired guy asked.
 
 
"She's Tachibana Rui Daiki."
 
 
"Oh, nice to meet ya I'm Daiki"
 
 
"S-same to you."
 
 
I was stuttering. I don't know this person. How should I communicate with him?
 
 
"You guys sit down, I ordered drinks." The black-haired guy said.
 
 
"Eh? Drinks? Are we gonna drink?" I asked, my voice shaking.
 
 
"Don't worry, just don't drink too much!"
 
 
After introductions, they began eating and drinking alcohol especially.
 
 
"Hey, what ya doing over there, don't be so afraid we won't eat you. Ahaha!"
 
 
The guy named Daiki approached me.
 
 
"Are you their classmate?"
 
 
"Uh no, but we attended the same school."
 
 
"Nice, we're always this messy so I hope you don't mind it."
 
 
"Uh-! Yeah, it's fine."
 
 
"Hey Rui-chan, what's your favorite flavor for a drink?"
 
 
"Uhm... Nothing in particular."
 
 
"Then how about this, just cherry flavored."
 
 
"I don't... really drink so..."
 
 
"Just a shot. Come on."
 
 
He was shoving it in my face, forcing me to drink it. Others were watching so I didn't have a choice but to drink it. After that, they went for cheers. It continued for hours until my vision faded and went black.
9