Chapter 60: Elysian Defense Initiative
2.7k 3 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

February 8, 1640

Albion Castle, Runepolis, Holy Mirishial Empire

High ranking officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Bureau of Information, and the Ministry of Defense gathered around the meeting room, taking their seats in silence as they waited for Emperor Mirishial to announce the beginning of the meeting. The emperor’s eyes remained closed, opening once the sounds of shuffling and chairs scraping against the floor died out.

Without looking around, Mirishial announced to his advisors, “This meeting is now in session. We gather to discuss the ramifications of Gra Valkan expansionism. Arneus, please summarize the contents of your report.”

A blonde human stood from his seat, concisely summarizing the recent conquests of the Gra Valkas Empire. “Two days ago, my bureau’s informants received word of the Gra Valkas Empire’s complete subjugation of the Conshal Islands. This action comes right after a slew of peaceful vassalizations that took place amongst Conshal Nations. A few rejected Gra Valkan demands, forming an alliance and securing the aid of a surviving Leiforian fleet. The fleet was defeated, with the survivors surrendering. Shortly thereafter, the Gra Valkan fleet laid siege to one of the Conshal Alliance’s members. The battleships in this fleet attacked the capital city of the constituent Kingdom of Alno’ma Va. After a hostage deal involving thousands of surrendered alliance sailors, the alliance capitulated and agreed to relinquish their sovereignty. The Conshal Islands are now firmly under Gra Valkan control. As for the Mu continent, the Gra Valkans have worked on expanding their influence across the continent — enough to threaten Mu. Already, nations that were once protected by Leifor are now under Gra Valkan control. My spies in the Magikareich Community have also reported the development of closer ties with the Gra Valkans. Evidently, this is due to the superior technology of the Gra Valkans, which they were willing to offer in exchange for loyalty.”

Heads turned as meeting participants looked at each other, their silent expressions speaking volumes of their concern. 

Emperor Mirishial noticed this and elaborated on their objective. “The Gra Valkas Empire represents a shift in the global status quo. So does the United States of America. Arneus, your report on the Americans?”

Arneus nodded. “Four days ago, we discovered that the Gra Valkas Empire sent a delegation to the United States. Today, this delegation departed from the coastal city of San Diego via an American plane. We do not know what their destination is. We do know, however, that Mu is taking measures to study old American technology. Some of our analysts from the Ministry of Defense reported encounters with Muan analysts, namely an officer named Myrus. During a conversation, Myrus reportedly claimed that ‘the era of Mirishial global superiority and dominance is coming to an end’ and he wished our analysts luck in their endeavors to maintain the global status quo.”

“This disruption is irreversible,” Mirishial stated, “However, we can take measures to slow or stop this disruption. Liage, do you have any proposals?”

The aged elf stood up, “I do, Your Excellency. I believe the present situation is the best time to exercise the influence we’ve built up over the centuries. Most of the world still looks up to us as the ‘strongest’ in the world. We should leverage our credibility and bring as many nations as possible into our fold, prioritizing those that are bordering Gra Valkan or American puppets.” Liage looked around the room as he continued his proposal, “This policy of containment will hopefully stop the spread of Gra Valkan and American support, although I believe we should focus more of our efforts on the Gra Valkans, considering their hostile tendencies compared to the more,” he paused, searching for an apt description, “... Benevolent… Americans. I also believe we should refrain from antagonizing the Americans as much as possible, especially if we wish to continue learning from them.”

Mirishial pondered Liage’s proposed containment policy. “Hmm,” he said as he considered the ideologies of the two nations. “I find reason with your statement regarding the Americans. We shan’t pursue this containment policy of yours with regards to the Philadean continent, lest we provoke the Americans. We should however bolster our relations with nations in the Mu continent, as well as the Central continent in particular. Does anyone have any further thoughts?”

Minister Pao stood up from his seat. “Your Excellency, if I may?”

Mirishial nodded, granting permission.

“Thank you, Your Excellency,” Pao turned toward his colleagues. “While I agree with Supervisor Liage’s proposed containment policy, I feel that exerting our influence is not enough. We must back this influence up with force. Fleet exercises and demonstrations of our power should serve well to remind the nations of Elysia of our power! In preparation for potential threats of war from the Gra Valkans, we should establish bases in the Mu continent and the surrounding islands. Furthermore, I think we may benefit from the creation of a coalition, similar to the United States’ NATO coalition from their home world. A creation of such a coalition could not only help us contain foreign aggressors, but also prepare for the return of the Sorcerers.”

A moment of silence followed Pao’s aggressive suggestion while the participants considered the effects of such a significant shift in foreign policy. 

Emperor Mirishial was the first to speak, asking Liage about the potential impacts. “Liage, if we were to adopt a more aggressive policy such as the one proposed by Schmill, how might this affect the relations we currently have?”

Liage scratched his chin. He decided to divide his response into several sections covering each continent and the subgroups within said continents. “Expanding our military in Mu might not be received well by our old rivals, but depending on the hostility of the Gra Valkas Empire they may prefer to have us backing them. Militarization of the Central continent may cause concern among the other great powers here, such as Agartha. I do not know how the Parpaldians or Americans will react, considering that the Americans are already establishing many overseas military bases regardless. Their diplomats are friendly enough, so I can send Phiam to prod them for clues.”

“I see,” Emperor Mirishial said. “Hmm, how do you think our policy may be received differently if we announce the return of the Ravernal Empire?”

The participants reacted with shock. Eyes widened and gasps were emitted as the Holy Mirishial Empire’s leaders contemplated the chaos that could ensue. 

“Your Excellency!” Liage said, “I must protest! We know not how negatively the people may react! Panic could envelop our cities, as well as the cities of other nations around the world!”

The other advisors nodded in agreement. 

Mirishial clasped his hands behind his back. “And yet, this revelation must be made eventually. If we let the people know too late, then our preparation will be inadequate. Need I remind everyone of our civility?! We are the shining pearl of the races! We are the First Civilization Area, and our citizens will act accordingly! I do wish that the Gra Valkas Empire didn’t have to force our hand so early, but any further delays in the announcement of the Ravernal Empire’s return will result in further degradation of our status. I despise having to do this, but this announcement will allow us to implement more efficient measures to prepare for their return,” He paused, allowing his advisors to analyze his words. Soon enough, the advisors’ expressions became resolute as they found logic in his words. He then continued, “Schmill, your department will receive additional funds to construct foreign bases — at least one major base in each continent. Liage, your department will be tasked with securing defense treaties and organizing the creation of an Elysian Defense Initiative. Birkburn and Hirkane, your ministry will be made public and will thus receive access to public funds. I need you to draft new budget proposals; your ministry is the most important one when it comes to defending ourselves against the oppressors of old.”

While Emperor Mirishial continued to assign new directives, Liage was reminded of the mystery to the south: the Annonrial Empire. He waited patiently for the emperor to finish before raising his hand. 

Mirishial turned toward him. “Liage, do you have a concern?”

“Indeed I do, Your Excellency.” His expression was slightly contorted by worry as he outlined his concerns regarding the Annonrial Empire, “This may not be the right time for this, considering my report on the Annonrial Empire is still in the process of being finalized, but…”

Remembering that Liage had recently returned from Bushpaka Latan, Emperor Mirishial’s curiosity was piqued. “Your concern is appropriate. Please, continue.”

The other ministers and advisors leaned in, vaguely recalling the American magazine brought back by Phiam’s delegation. Anticipation and excitement heightened as they awaited Liage’s concern. 

Liage, appreciating the Emperor’s approval, continued, “Thank you, Your Excellency. During my trip to the Annonrial Empire, my delegation noticed peculiarities that did not match with their designation as a primitive, barbaric society. Close inspection of their buildings and roads revealed manufacturing quality impossible for a civilization of their proclaimed level. The buildings and roads are even, with the entirety of Bushpaka Latan being meticulously clean. We were allowed to roam the area while waiting for their foreign affairs dignitary, and several men from Director Arneus’ Bureau had reportedly heard some Annonrial locals complain about the lack of ‘air cooling’ and electricity. The only nations we know of that incorporate electricity in their societies are ourselves, the Muans, the Americans, and the Gra Valkans.”

A foreboding silence fell upon the room. Liage’s statement meant that the Annonrials were at least as technologically advanced as the Muans, lending credibility to the American magazine. Liage continued to describe the living conditions of the city and the layout of the city itself. 

Pao recognized the purposes of the described design elements and pointed out an interesting inconsistency. “Hold on a moment, roads that wide are never a defining feature of primitive civilizations, much less wide roads that lead into urban sites. Furthermore, your description of the roads… It sounds like their roads are paved!”

“They are,” Liage nodded. Some of Arneus’ personnel managed to take discrete images using American cameras, so as to not arouse suspicion from the Annonrials.” He shuddered thinking about what could have happened if the Annonrials had indeed detected the use of magic amongst his delegation. “The images show roads made of a material similar to American concrete.”

“American concrete?” Pao’s eyes widened. “That must mean these roads are designed to support heavy loads associated with vehicles. The intricate layout of the island… it’s as if the island was built to be converted into a forward operating base at a moment’s notice!”

Emperor Mirishial’s frown deepened as he heard this. It all but confirmed his worst suspicions. “I believe I can see where this is headed…”

Liage looked at his emperor with an understanding, pained expression. His heart was filled with denial, but the dots had already been connected. His mind understood that the American magazine, which depicted fleets of Oricalchum-class warships and Pal Chimeras, was not a fabrication. As much as he hoped that his experiences had been an awful nightmare, it was impossible to deny the evidence. 

“Yes, Your Excellency. Eventually, I was able to meet with the Annonrial ambassador, Karl Krunch. It seemed like he already knew why I was there. He asked me, ‘What brings you to the Annonrial Empire?’ He understood that a person with as important a position as myself wouldn’t visit a primitive nation without justifiable cause. I told him that I wanted to request permission — permission to access the Annonrial mainland for archaeological purposes regarding the Ancient Sorcerous Empire. He denied the existence of any ruins relating to the Sorcerers. Recalling the arrogance of the Sorcerers and hoping to insult his pride to invoke a response, I told him that his civilization was likely too primitive to detect underground sites. I told him that we found ancient documents and maps pointing to the Branchel continent. He maintained his facade well, claiming that if such remnants existed, they would have found them due to his species’ high affinity to magic. My probing went nowhere, so I decided to escalate. I told him that analysis was paramount, revealing to him that the Ravernal Empire was soon to return. It was then that I noticed his lips curved upward, and I reacted with suspicion. He realized, upon seeing my face, that his peoples’ secret was finally exposed. Abandoning the carefully crafted facade, he smiled. He smiled and said, ‘I know’. It was then that a contingent of guards carrying firearms approached. He subsequently said that we are no longer welcome on Bushpaka Latan, and should leave immediately. And so, we left.”

Everyone took in Liage’s tale, heartbeats rising as tension between Liage and Krunch increased, then falling as Liage’s safe return spurred sighs of relief. Unfortunately, this relief was but a short blip in a series of terrifying revelations. The Annonrial Empire now knew that the gig was up; they had allowed the Holy Mirishial Empire to retain knowledge of their true allegiances. 

Liage continued, “My concern is that forming an Elysian Defense Initiative could provoke the Annonrials. They may see us as a threat and attack using gods knows what weapons their ancestors left behind.”

Emperor Mirishial seemed to ignore this concern, instead asking, “Why did the Annonrials allow you to leave with this knowledge?”

“I— I don’t know,” Liage admitted. 

Mirishial connected his seemingly unrelated question to Liage’s concern. “It seems that they don’t care if they are exposed at this point, considering the imminence of the Sorcerers’ return. They already have plans in place, which they will enact regardless of whether or not they are discovered. I loathe that the responsibility of Elysia’s defense has fallen upon me, but I shall not disappoint, and I certainly shall not allow our enemies to destroy what we have built!” After centuries of peace, determination and newfound purpose revitalized Emperor Mirishial, who rose to his youthful splendor. His voice boomed, “As of this day, the Holy Mirishial Empire shall establish the Elysian Defense Initiative and protect the people of the world from evil!”

——

Author’s Note: 

Interested in discussing the story or asking questions? Join my discord server!

Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd 

I post extra free chapters for every $50 in total donations as appreciation for your support! 

Check out my Patreon for more details!

59