Chapter 70: Clandestine
2.5k 9 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

March 1, 1640

Otaheit, Mu

Embassy of the United States of America

Director Klein stood beneath a massive communications tower, staring up as he marveled the view. Wind sent his dark trench coat dramatically flapping in the wind while his associate stood firm, shielding his eyes from the dust. “Wonderful, isn’t it, Minister Deville?” He said, looking over at the tall, black-haired Caucasian to his right. 

“It is,” Deville agreed, “Although, I fancy that you didn’t request an appointment to admire your own technologies.”

Klein laughed, “I’m not that narcissistic. Well then, if it’s straightforward you desire, then it is straightforward you shall receive. Let’s head inside, we can discuss this further.”

The pair walked into the recently built embassy building and were greeted by a cool blast of rejuvenating air, courtesy of magically enhanced air conditioning. Deville looked around, finding numerous differences between the current embassy and the one the Americans had just moved out of. This new building was built with a distinct classical design, yet contained futuristic technologies hidden within, from a plethora of mounted screens and scanners to a system of camouflaged metal constructs outside. He could only guess them to be some sort of defensive system. 

Much like the other embassy, this one ran off electricity, supplied by the local power grid and backed up by American generators. Fluorescent lighting and humble wood furnishings decorated the structure’s interior, with an indeterminable number of systems concealed inside the walls. As he walked with Director Klein toward the local field office inside the embassy, he noticed a strange commonality that stuck out in all American establishments. 

The Americans seemed to love air conditioning so much that, despite Mu’s cool temperatures in the northern hemisphere, they went so far as to incorporate light rejuvenation magic into their ventilation systems. Even the new McDonald’s restaurants that had sprung up incorporated this technology. Before he could give any more thought to the subject, they reached the office. 

Despite the office’s new condition, it was already slightly cluttered due to the importance of the Mu field officer’s missions and the influx of materials. Stacks of documents were piled on the main desk, giving a hectic impression. Deville felt flattered by the pile of documents and asked himself, is Mu really this important? 

The two men took seats. As soon as Deville felt the soft embrace of the cushioned chair, Klein spoke. “Minister, I requested this appointment because I, on behalf of the United States government, wish to coordinate with Mu Intelligence.”

A pang of concern, perhaps even trepidation, flashed over Deville’s face. “Something tells me it isn’t as simple as that… Of course, I’d be happy to work with you, but why?”

“We have reason to believe that the Gra Valkas Empire is planning to move on Mu soon. We want to prevent this from happening, if possible. If not, we want to help you resist the Gra Valkans.”

Deville noticed Klein’s word choice. The way he spoke implied an aversion to intervention. “What do you mean?” Deville asked simply, hoping to get more information before he responded to Klein’s stated objectives.

Klein flipped a laptop on the desk, showing Deville a series of photographs. “These were taken over the Leifor-Hinomawari border and the Leifor-Sonal border. They’re likely weeks away from invasion. From what we can see, they’ve gathered two hundred thousand men for each front. Once they’ve completed their invasions, we anticipate them to begin moving for their next step.”

“War with Mu…” Deville finished Klein’s thoughts. “This is new information. Every time we’ve sent reconnaissance aircraft to the border, we were intercepted by Gra Valkan warplanes. How did you manage to secure these photographs?”

Klein answered vaguely, “Our aircraft can fly higher and faster than theirs. I requested this meeting not only to inform you, but to recommend preparations. The ambassador right now should already be discussing a general exchange of information and military exercises, but the recommendations I propose are more… clandestine.”

“Clandestine, you say? What sort of operations do you have in mind?”

“You’ve heard of the Leiforian Resistance’s efforts against the Gra Valkans?”

Deville looked up, scanning his mind. “Oh, yes, they’re the ones who destroyed a Gra Valkan military convoy and took over one of their bases! I wonder how they were able to wreak such havoc when their entire military couldn’t do a thing during the war.”

“That would be because of us. We gave some advice to the Leiforians, taught them the weak points of Gra Valkan vehicles and how to counter them,” he downplayed the level of American involvement. “However, there is only so much we can do, especially when we’re so far away. Right now, the Leiforians have the spirit, manpower, and knowledge to fight the Gra Valkans. The only thing missing is supplies. Would it be possible for your men to smuggle explosives and medical goods to the Leiforians?”

“Hmm…”

Klein gave a slight nudge, “The convoy that the Leiforian Resistance destroyed was headed for the Sonal border. Must’ve delayed Gra Valkan plans by at least a month.”

Deville understood Klein’s hint. If he wanted to give Mu more time to prepare, it would be in his best interest to delay the Gra Valkans and disrupt their schedules as much as possible. To do this, he would have to support the Leiforian Resistance. “We have a dedicated spy network that receives supplies and orders from couriers. I believe it should be possible.”

Klein then produced a map of Leifor, marked with red dots and accompanied by a corresponding legend. “Each red dot represents a Gra Valkan base. The larger ones are likely impossible for the Leiforians to take, but the smaller ones likely contain weapons and ammunition that the Resistance can use. Does your spy network extend to any of these regions?”

Deville leaned in closer to inspect the sites. He moved his finger around the map as he spoke, “Yes, a few. My men could relay troop movements and other information to the Leiforians.”

“The Leiforians are going to be very happy to hear that. That brings me to my next point. Speaking of information, I’d like to impart some gifts onto your operatives.”

“And what gifts would these be?” Deville asked curiously. 

Klein smiled, “Ever heard of asymmetrical warfare?”

——

Down the hallway in a large conference room, a different meeting was underway. Hoping to prepare the Muans and Mirishials for war against the Gra Valkans, the American ambassador invited officials from both countries to a joint meeting where they could discuss the western threat. Military correspondents from all nations were present, with the Americans distributing material on German and Japanese weaponry during the Second World War.

An American major paced around in front of a screen, dictating the contents of the PowerPoint presentation behind him. “Analysis of Gra Valkan technology revealed that their designs are nearly identical to those present throughout our history, particularly from World War Two. The standard Gra Valkan fighter is similar to the Japanese Zero, the standard Gra Valkan medium tank is similar to Nazi Germany’s Panzer Four, and the standard Gra Valkan heavy tank is similar to the Panzer Six, or the Tiger. We currently have little information on their standard light tank, but we theorize it to be similar to the German Panzer Two, although it may have characteristics from Imperial Japan’s Ha-Go light tank. The schematics and documents provided to you show the specifications of each vehicle, along with their weaknesses.”

The screen flickered as new slides were generated, now showing a list of details corresponding to each Gra Valkan military branch. “So far, we’ve been able to determine the defining features of the Gra Valkan military. Their ground forces appear to use primarily German-styled weaponry, while their naval forces use Japanese designs. Their Air Force is a mixture of the two.” A new picture was displayed on the screen, showing planes sitting on a Gra Valkan airfield. “We don’t know how far along the Gra Valkans are when it comes to the development of these planes, but we can say with certainty that these aircraft are akin to the Horten Ho Two Twenty-Nine and the Messerschmitt Me Two Sixty-Two, respectively. They operate using early jet engines, similar to light-discharge engines.”

A Muan official raised his hand, “How certain are you certain of these specifications?”

The major answered, “These specifications — top speed, range, and radar technology — are all assumed to be true, given the Gra Valkan Empire’s current level of technology. Of course, we can’t guarantee that all of these values are exact to the Gra Valkan counterparts, but they can provide a reasonable reference. Something to build strategies and potential countermeasures off of.”

“Potential countermeasures?” A Mirishial commander burst out, standing from his seat. “I am loath to admit this, but if these specifications are indeed true, then not even the Alpha-Three can contend! How then, do you anticipate we develop countermeasures?”

“Well,” the American reassured his audience, “The United States government is willing to provide technical assistance with improving already existing technologies,” he said, looking at the Muans, “and making your magic more potent by applying scientific principles,” his gaze shifted to the Mirishials. 

The Muans and Mirishials conversed amongst themselves, finding the proposal to be adequate. Sensing there might be more to it, the skeptical Mirishial commander wondered, “All of this aid won’t come for free, I assume. What do you seek in return?”

“Not much,” the American ambassador stepped in. “It’s in our best interest to stem the Gra Valkan tide, without provoking them and letting them know of our involvement. Assisting you indirectly is the best method of achieving these goals, although we will request additional… accommodations in exchange for our knowledge and expertise.”

The men in the audience looked at each other, thinking about their decisions.

“Might I also add, accepting these terms will also lift some restrictions on American military technology. Thanks to some recent adjustments in our foreign policy, you’ll be able to buy modernized small arms and light vehicles.”

The Muans were immediately ecstatic, their strong emotions visible behind their uncontainable smirks. As the premier mechanical civilization of the Second Civilized Region, they simply couldn’t pass up on an opportunity to not only further themselves, but to also catch up to the Americans and surpass the Holy Mirishial Empire. Access to American weapons could also significantly bolster their defensive capabilities against a possible war with the Gra Valkans. 

While the offer wasn’t as tantalizing to the Mirishials due to their specialization in magic, they couldn’t deny that American technology could nonetheless provide important insights. If they wanted to maintain their edge, they would have to take every advantage they could get. Thinking of the return of the Ancient Sorcerous Empire, they also realized that they had no other choice but to accept, if they wanted to establish a solid allegiance against the forces of evil. 

“What accommodations?” A Muan asked.

“Like I’ve said before,” the ambassador reiterated, “Not much.” Hoping to emphasize this message, he explained, “We only ask for mutual research cooperation and rights to enough land for a single military base, to be established on each of your nations.” 

The Muans felt as if allowing a foreign nation to build a base on their land could harm their sovereignty and reputation. Despite this, the benefits significantly outweighed a mere insult to their pride. If allowing foreign troops on their land was the price of guaranteeing sovereignty against the Gra Valkan threat, then it was worth it. They nodded at each other and accepted the terms willingly. 

Having been looked up to by the entire world as the most powerful country, the Mirishials suffered an even larger insult to their pride. However, much like the Muans, they saw the logic in accepting the deal. Above all, their priority was to safeguard Elysia against the return of the Ravernal Empire, their pride tertiary. Left with no alternatives, the Mirishials acquiesced, agreeing with the terms provided by the Americans. 

“That settles it, then,” the American ambassador grinned. “I pray these precautionary measures won’t be needed, but if they are, then the Gra Valkans will certainly find themselves in a world of hurt.”

——

Author’s Note: 

Interested in discussing the story or asking questions? Join my discord server!

Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd 

I post extra free chapters for every $50 in total donations as appreciation for your support! 

Check out my Patreon for more details!

57