4: Fan Shuangxi Prepares to Cultivate
452 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The shadow Fan Shuangxi has perceived in the middle of the ocean turns out to be an island--no, it is bigger than an island, a continent, and she is standing on a tiny part of it.

Fan Shuangxi sits cross-legged on the biggest rock on the rocky shore of the land while an open book is on her lap. According to the Book of Secrets, this nameless shore belongs to the country of Ji, one of the four territories of the Qiuju continent.

Well, it is confirmed. She isn't in Ancient China but in a world loosely designed from it. Does knowing this makes her feel safer? No. Fan Shuangxi forces her anxiety to abate before continuing to read.

 

Ji Country is a sovereign city-state and island country in Qiuju continent. It lies north of Cao Ocean, at the southern tip of the Guang Empire, with Si Country to the west, and Yi Empire on its east.

 

The blank page on the left of the Book of Secrets blooms with letters, answering the silent question Fan Shuangxi has asked. On the right, an illustration of the Ji Country appears and her name with a corresponding dot is written to indicate her location. Sort of like a GPS but the format is in a calligraphic style.

Fan Shuangxi's mouth gasps in amazement once again and after debating with her inner self, she decides to call the book by another name, Google. After the baptismal, she nods her head, discovering that the more she rolls the name on her tongue, the calmer she gets. 

 

Once a valuable port city under the Guang Empire, the assassination of the city-governor and the succeeding failed attempts at installing a leader led to an uprising from the Zhui family and the naval force under its commandOn the ninth year of the Zuo Dynasty, the treaty of Ji was signed, acknowledging the independence of Ji city from the Guang Empire.

 

Fan Shuangxi's eyes glint while reading the content Google presents to her. Although unlike the search engine, she doesn't need to click any link; the answer to her question is given.

She grins and her curious heart begins to beat. Like a dying fish thrown back on the water, Fan Shuangxi energetically asks multiple questions. Most of these questions are unrelated to the information she needs regarding her location but Fan Shuangxi still wastes her time to know who is the strongest man in the Qiuju continent, who is the most beautiful woman, who is the most dangerous cultivator in Qiuju and many others.

Google did not fail her and soon, the blank pages of the book are filled with numerous answers to the questions popping with a handwritten flourish. Fortunately, the pointless questions shift into more important matters as Fan Shuangxi stirs her mind to the more useful part of her brain. Economy, politics, notable figures, and information she must have on her arsenal are answered by Google without any censor.

Fan Shuangxi pauses for a minute then gambles on a question, crossing her fingers that Google can answer it, will answer it.

Her question appears from a scribble of an invisible hand and then, nothing.

She stares hard but minutes have passed and the space below the question is blank.

Fan Shuangxi sighs and gives up, closing the book and hiding it away.

It's not that the Book of Secrets doesn't have an answer, the book merely lacks a source to draw from. For example, a person cannot ask the book about her destiny when there is no irrevocable proof of that destiny happening. Prophecies are tricky matters, predicting futures even more so and the Book of Secrets only dabbles to subjects that are finite, subjects which can be proven. 

Fan Shuangxi stands up and pats her clothes. The area surrounding her is short of the primal air she's looking for and this inadequacy is not ideal for her cultivation. She touches her chest and is reminded again of her lack of physical needs. She doesn't need a shelter to live on, food to fill her hunger, water to quench her thirst, or sleep to recover. The only thing she needs is to breathe and convert it into qi to fill her latent-turned-active spirit ocean, an infernal ocean to be exact.

Fan Shuangxi checks the Book of Secrets to determine where the two airs are concentrated. She also doesn't forget to include Qiuju continent. If she can find pockets of potent infernal air, her cultivation will be easier...probably. Fan Shuangxi sweats at her own doubt but continues reading nonetheless. To Fan Shuangxi's dismay, Qiuju continent ranks as the least ideal place for cultivation out of the ten continents of the Earthen Realm and to add to her growing frustrations, she needs to travel to three more continents in order to enter a continent with a medium collection of infernal air and supernal air.

In short, Qiuju continent is a backwater continent in terms of cultivation. In other areas, Qiuju still boasts a respectful line of beautiful crafts that are world-renowned so in this case, Qiuju does not truly lose out. It's just that for Fan Shuangxi who doesn't need anything but an infernal air, she can only hold Qiuju continent in contempt.

Fan Shuangxi especially hates detours when she is in a hurry so she begins to think of an alternative.

Going through three continents will most likely hinder her cultivation and she can't guarantee that she can depart from Qiuju continent within months so maybe having an ability to passively collect infernal air is a possible solution to her problem.

True to Granny Fan's words, Fan Shuangxi only has to think and eureka! Like a light bulb turning on, a technique floats in her mind that meets the condition.

“Thousand Ghosts Army,” Fan Shuangxi mouths the name of the forgotten art, her eyes shining in delight when the information regarding the art tumbles to her mind.

The original Fan Shuangxi has learned this art from a book she received from her father after his death. One of Fan clan's invented art and is passed on to the descendants for one purpose only and that is to help them cultivate faster. Since time is not on the Fan clan's side, they created ways to maximize the time they are given and this is why many of them are rising geniuses in the process.

Now, it is her turn to use the art for herself.

Granny Fan probably never told her so that Fan Shuangxi herself will discover it on her own, and maybe realize that she is still Fan Shuangxi despite the soul not being her. Whatever the original Fan Shuangxi experienced is already ingrained in her self, all the techniques, arts, even her memories, and her failures.

Like a book waiting to be read, all the current Fan Shuangxi needs is to open it, read it, and know that this is her, for better or worse.

“I guess I won't be bored for a while, huh?” Fan Shuangxi chuckles and her lips curve up. This, she figures, is a form of respecting the dead.

“Okay, let's get on with it,” she murmurs.

The Art of the Thousand Ghosts Army requires only two things to work; soul and spirit.

Just like how this doll of a body is made, Fan Shuangxi notes and she touches her chest again. The inspection is futile for though it is the same spot, the injury she received from that horrible spear is nonexistent while that body in Shuixian Palace has a chest which is marred with a healing scar.

Fan Shuangxi grasps her long brown hair and cuts it off. Her mind flashes to a cartoon movie she has watched once, Mulan is it? The girl uses a sword to cut her hair in the movie. On the other hand, Fan Shuangxi employs the wind to snip her hair to the short length that it has now become. She bends and inspects her haircut on the shallow water surrounding the big rock. The cut is longer at the front while shorter at the back and ends right above her shoulders. Fan Shuangxi nods at her fashionable look. Just another modern thing to add to her new world.

She glances at the strands of hair on her hand. Fan Shuangxi closes her eyes and starts to chant. The words are unfamiliar to her ears but her tongue doesn't twist in uttering them as they flow out of her mouth with ease.

The spirit is the vehicle. It is an object or a group of object that holds a connection with the caster. These objects are then transformed into whatever the caster desires, turning into ghosts that carry a piece of the original. It is related to what the scientific community calls as cloning but in this process, Fan Shuangxi can influence the final appearance of her ghost army.

The strands on her hand fly away and separate into single strands. All of them glow and float in front of her in an organized manner and gradually an apparition condenses on each strand. Man, woman, child, and elder, all kinds of people are created and attach on their faces are normal looks; plain, simple, forgettable. Fan Shuangxi is not required to design a look for every person, she only has to specify the kind of face they must wear, the type of attitude they must project, and lastly, the limit of their lives. They can live normally up to a hundred years or live extravagantly in a few dazzling years. Their fate is up to her, provided she can afford the cost of maintaining her set of conditions. After all, a person must expend a lot for a quality product and likewise, expend less for a cheaper one.

For this army, Fan Shuangxi doesn't have much of an ambition. Live as normally as they can while gathering infernal air, as simple as that.

The order takes root and gives the ghost army their soul; their reason for living.

“Release,” Fan Shuangxi's calm command brings a ripple to the glowing crowd. The ghost army fizzles and disappears quietly, leaving Fan Shuangxi alone in an unglamorous manner befitting the name of the art from where they came.

In a corner of Fan Shuangxi's mind, numerous colorful threads materialize, each corresponding to the ghost she has released unto the world. Where they had gone to, she only needs to pull a string to know but as to their destination, Fan Shuangxi will just leave it up to Fate. Who knows, maybe they'll drop to her husband's place.

Fan Shuangxi snickers as she opens her eyes to the same shore and the same sky but with an already descending sun. It is already the afternoon when she finishes. Darkness will fall soon and it will be best if she can find a safe place to spend the night.

She stares at the thick forest behind her and her hand gradually rises to caress the bell on her right ear.

No ringing means a safe route.

She inhales deeply and exhales slowly. If anything happens, she can always take a timeout and prepare in the Treasure Space. Fan Shuangxi steels her will and enters the copse of trees. In the early hours of the afternoon, the plains are still bright. However, inside the forest where branches and leaves block the sun, Fan Shuangxi's surroundings are barely discernable. She hastens her steps all the while wishing that she has a companion on the road.

As if on cue, Fan Shuangxi hears the hooves of a running horse. She stops and strains her ears. Sure enough, it is really a horse and it seems to be getting louder and louder.

Fan Shuangxi's eyes widen and instinctively moves a few steps back.

In a flash, a galloping horse crosses her path. Its majestic body of auburn shines from the few sun rays passing from the foliage. The horse's long legs kick up a fuss and it slows down, becoming docile with the sight of her.

Fan Shuangxi stares with a blank look. This is her first time seeing a horse in person and the new experience glues her from her spot. Fortunately, someone comes to her rescue.

“Momo! Where are you?” A silvery voice, light and pleasant, calls out among the thicket of shrubs. The shrubs rustle and a woman appears. She slowly approaches the horse, Momo, and when Momo does not react violently, the woman sweeps her palm up and down, murmuring unintelligible words on the horse's neck.

“Don't worry, you're safe, you're safe,” the woman soothes. Her eyes flicker to the side and she freezes.

Hello there, my first alien, Fan Shuangxi silently greets.

“Who the heck are you?”

Fan Shuangxi's eyebrow twitches. How crude.

“He, hello, I'm Shuang Xi,” Fan Shuangxi introduces with a stammer. Due to Granny Fan's multiple repetitions of the glory of the Fan clan, Fan Shuangxi opts to omit to tell this revered surname to others so as to avoid unwanted attention and also to be on the safe side, after all, there is no guarantee that the clan hasn't offended notable figures out there.

Despite her keen eyes, Xiao Chang does not doubt Fan Shuangxi when the latter tells her she's lost and happens to encounter Momo. In Xiao Chang's perspective, the woman, whom she almost mistook as a man, has a small smile on her face and her petite form is too frail to even truss a chicken. Not only that, Shuang Xi didn't attack Momo when the horse has intruded. This prompts Xiao Chang to view Shuang Xi in a positive light.

Grandma always says a person's character can be seen by how they treat animals, Xiao Chang reasons.

“Of course you are. There is a road beside this forest and anyone who knows their way will travel that way instead of in here,” Xiao Chang smiles with a gesture of the two's darkening surrounding.

“Come on, I'll introduce you to Grandma and the gang.” Xiao Chang doesn't wait for an affirmation. She grasps Momo's reins and begins to trace the path back to her group. Fan Shuangxi hesitates but since the Bell of Discernment hasn't rung, she reluctantly follows.  

Past the clumps of trees is an open area wherein tents and trailers are scattered. As soon as the two women are noticed and the wayward horse appears, a thin man breaks off from a group and cautiously approaches Momo. The horse huffs but doesn't shake off the thin man's petting. From the thin man's lips, Fan Shuangxi finds that the thin man accidentally drops a toy snake in front of Momo, spooking the horse who has grazed nearby. Because Momo is normally a quiet and obedient mare, her harness is left untied. This little detail is the reason why Fan Shuangxi has encountered the mare deep in the woods.

Xiao Chang repeats the situation in front of her grandmother. The old woman's wisened eyes hover on Fan Shuangxi for two breaths and the slow blink after the inspection has brought the latter to a bout of paranoia. Finally, the verdict falls with the grandmother's gracious offer for Fan Shuangxi to stay with them for the night.

“It's unfortunate we are going in opposite directions or else you could have ridden with us,” Xiao Chang says as the two sits around the bonfire.

“Oh? Where are you headed to?” Fan Shuangxi receives the soup Xiao Chang delivers. She looks down at the contents and wonders what it tastes like.

“We're invited by Emperor Ai of the Yi Empire to perform for a celebration. The caravan may not look like it but we are a traveling troupe,” Xiao Chang points out with a chuckle. Indeed, the caravan is more like a cozy family than a performer's caravan but on second look, the colorful clothing and weird gadgets hanging around explain why they are present.

“Everyone wanted to stay even after having a family of their own so here we are, a big happy family performing in various stages of the continents.”

“Yes,” Fan Shuangxi smiles and softly murmurs, “you guys are very heartwarming.” She glances at the bowl in her hands. She grasps and dips the spoon and then, swallows the warm soup.

Inadvertently, her eyes glisten.

Xiao Chang continues to chat and tells her the unusual wedding of Yi Empire's royal family.

“The story of Emperor Ai and his male consort had shaken the lands not too long ago and many people applaud him for revealing his relationship. Not only that, Emperor Ai even abolished the harem and vowed he will only have this lover until his death. Of course, rumors have it that all of his officials bowed for three days and three nights outside the imperial palace, begging him to retract his edict but he never did.”

“Emperor Ai also challenged his people to strive and be worthy because one day, he will choose from among them the next emperor of the land. Some say his actions are going against the will of the heavens but then when they remember the powers backing him, they all shut their mouth. Indeed, Emperor Ai has guts because he has friends from the two immortal realms.”

“And also because his consort was once a performer, Emperor Ai invited famous traveling troupes to entertain his consort, he who was once dancing on a lowly stage,” Xiao Chang sighs.

“Eh?” Fan Shuangxi blinks and blurts, “The Yi Empire's people are quite tolerant. I expected them to be a little put-off or maybe even revolt.” Fan Shuangxi's forehead creases. Ancient China may not have been strict when it comes to homosexual relationships but that doesn't mean they welcome it with open arms especially when it is blatantly out in the open.

Xiao Chang stares at Fan Shuangxi quietly.

“Have I said something wrong?”

“My friend, from what rock have you been hiding?”

“Eh?”

Xiao Chang's eyebrows furrow and she squints her eyes.

“Ah, I apologize. I've been in seclusion for a long time so I'm not up to date with the affairs of the world,” Fan Shuangxi quickly covers up.

Xiao Chang purses her lips then shakes her head, “From your expression, I bet you haven't heard the Tale of the Supreme Kings haven't you?”

Fan Shuangxi blanks. Um, can she disappear for a moment to open Google and ask?

“Nevermind, I will tell you,” Xiao Chang giggles and Fan Shuangxi can't help but be reminded of her best friend. Every time her best friend giggles, she knows it will be another round of boys' love storytelling. In fact, Fan Shuangxi has an inkling Xiao Chang is also going to tell her a story about two men if the name of the story isn't clue enough.

“This is the tale of two kings; the one who rules the Celestial Realm, the Divine King, and the master of Demimonde, the Demon King.”

Sure enough, it is a romance between two men.

The story is all about the Divine King, upon descending to the mortal realm, fell in love with a mortal, but this mortal is not just any mortal. Of course, it is an OP character, Fan Shuangxi inwardly inserts. This mortal was actually prophesized as the Great Demon that shall ruin the mortal lands and rule the realm below, Demimonde.

The Divine King knew of this prophecy but because he fell in love with the mortal, the Divine King devised a way to steer the mortal from his doomed fate. The Divine King disguised himself as a servant of the mortal in order to teach him the goodness of mankind.

Alas, the mortal also began to fall for his servant who remained by his side as he grew but he couldn't accept that they are of the same gender so the mortal left his servant and his home, partaking on a journey to know himself.

The servant followed his master, secretly aiding him in his times of need. Even when the mortal fell into the lair of a man-eating woman, the servant did not waver in his resolve. Finally, after a deadly struggle, the mortal realizes his true feelings for his servant but he lamented for he will soon die without ever confessing his love.

But the servant is, in reality, not a servant, he is the Divine King. Upon seeing the mortal at death's door, the Divine King quickly brought him to the Celestial Realm and healed him. The mortal was saved and when he opened his eyes to see his servant's face again, joy filled him.

This joy then turned to despair for the servant he loves is actually a lie! Darkness covered his heart and tempted him, turning him into a Demon. The Demon left the Divine King's Jade Palace and in his seething hatred, descended to the mortal realm and wreaked havoc throughout the lands. Many renowned armies died by the Demon's hands while the immortals of the Demimonde can only lower their heads.

When all is almost lost, the heavens opened and the Divine King descended. He battled with the Demon and defeated it. The Demon laid on the ground and with a stab of his holy sword, the Divine King can finally end him...Xiao Chang pauses...but he didn't.

Fan Shuangxi can only roll her eyes.

The Divine King threw his sword and hug the Demon to his chest. As the heavens opened and the Divine King began to ascend, he bent his head and kissed the Demon on his bloody lips.

The two kings vanished from mortal eyes never to be seen again.

“Rumor has it that the two are now in a relationship which is also why relationships like theirs aren't as frowned upon today,” Xiao Chang's expression turns dreamy.

Fan Shuangxi once again expresses a blank stare. The way Xiao Chang describes it means that the tale is not an old wives' tale but reality? Her inner self sputters.

“It, it really happened?” Fan Shuangxi's wide eyes cause Xiao Chang to guffaw. It is truly an unladylike manner.

“It is half true and half made up but which is which, no one really knows.” Xiao Chang smirks and leans toward Fan Shuangxi, “But I do know some truths in that tale.”

“There really was a massacre of armies and,” Xiao Chang whispers, “The two kings really kissed, the kind that involves the tongue.”

Fan Shuangxi stares at Xiao Chang who is grinning, “How do you know these things?”

“We do travel a lot and plenty of information is shared with the other troupes too. It's how we learned where we are welcomed and where we are not, ” she shrugs. Someone calls out Xiao Chang's name and Xiao Chang excuses herself after collecting their bowls. She tells Fan Shuangxi that she'll return after doing her chores.

Fan Shuangxi is left to contemplate the things she heard. If only she's not among the caravan's people, Google is open by now. She bows her head and her eyebrows wrinkle.

The tale Xiao Chang has narrated is familiar. She hasn't read the tale from Google but she does remember hearing a similar story from her fujoshi best friend with some parts different from that of Xiao Chang. For example, the mortal is not a mortal but actually a Demon in disguise and that he doesn't leave home because of his feelings, it was because of revenge. The Demon has also begun to rule the Demimonde before he arrives in the Celestial realm and that the Demon and the servant have already had their first time before the revelation! The betrayal and the following transformation to a Great Demon are also lacking because, Fan Shuangxi rubs her head, she can't quite remember. She sighs and focuses her mind elsewhere. 

It is considerably alarming how uncannily similar the two tales are and Fan Shuangxi pales when she realizes this. There are differences in names but the roles are spot on!

“Shit,” Fan Shuangxi curses, her overactive imagination filling in the gaps. She hasn't confirmed it yet but what if, what if?

What if she didn't just transmigrate to a different world?

What if she transmigrated to a novel? No, a novel series?

Last she heard from her best friend, there are nine published books already circulating in the market.

Fan Shuangxi begins to sweat.

But the most horrifying thought of all, what if she has transmigrated to a BL universe?

Her best friend's smug voice echoes in Fan Shuangxi's head.

“In the BL universe, all women are cannon fodders! Mwahahaha!”

Fan Shuangxi's world dims and she is faced with a tough question.

“Should I look for a man or a woman?” Uwaa, I'm straight but how do I find a husband. I don't want to die! Help, Granny Fan!

9