8: I am Two!
270 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mr. No Face's name is Hao Fang.

This is not his birth name but the name he chose when he was of age to know the brutality of society. He who was an orphaned child roaming the streets' darkest corners. 

His surname, Hao, to mean powerful.

Fang that signifies being free.

Powerful and free, the name he baptized himself, both a promise to his young self and a guiding principle that will dictate his growing self in the following years.

A child untethered.

A man uncrowned.

He lived up to his name to the fullest and because of that, he was conspired by the people he trusted and died.

Fan Shuangxi blinks. Hao Fang's autobiography ends with his death and does not provide additional information on how he is alive again.

She rereads the last moments before he apparently died.

 

I am wounded and I have a tracker with me, that man probably thinks I hadn't noticed. Foolish! For now, I must dispose of the tracker and hide. I traveled through the forest all the while cursing my arrogance. I was too careless and trusted the wrong person, causing my whereabouts to be leaked. That man. How dare he? I will extract my pound of flesh the sooner I get out of here. A whistle? Have they found me?

 

This autobiography reminds Fan Shuangxi of first-person point-of-views in young adult novels.

 

They have surrounded me from all sides. Twenty against one with rankings of not less than the eighth level of the Immersion stage. Hmph! They prepared themselves I admit that but if they think I won't go down without a fight then they are wrong. I will drag you all down!

 

Hao Fang fought dirty. He killed fifteen of them before he was forced to push beyond his limits and with this intensifying increase in power, he defeated his foes. Unfortunately, his internal organs were crushed and his spirit ocean became empty. In his deathbed, he valiantly walked away from the mountain of corpses. Not long after, his legs gave up and he began to crawl. To where? Somewhere, somewhere he can be safe.

 

My vision is darkening and I can't feel my body at all. No, I mustn't give up! I will only allow death to swallow me after I kill that rotten man. Even in death, I will return to haunt him! I swear this! I will kill him! I will kill him! I will kill him! Kill! Kill! Kill!

 

This kind of closing scene is like an intro for a transmigration event, right? Her inner self notes. Fan Shuangxi chuckles because that's impossible. Only the Fan clan or any with double spirit oceans can undergo transmigration. This man only has one.

She closes Google and looks up to see that the sun is rising.

"I read all night long, eh?" She shrugs her shoulders. It's a time well spent. It also gave her the chance to know Hao Fang as a person though that's definitely a violation of one's privacy. Fan Shuangxi silently asks for forgiveness.

The more you know, the safer you are.

Hao Fang has done many shady things, his hands are bathed in blood but he got some solid principles. He's the kind of person who won't be moved into action unless someone provoked him. Quite ironic since he is an assassin and he runs an assassins' guild. Nevertheless, as long as it's not related to work, he follows the golden code of Hammurabi to a tee; an eye for an eye.

"When you wake up," Fan Shuangxi murmurs, "I hope you won't repay me with ingratitude."

"Now then, let's check out the city."

Before she explores the city, Fan Shuangxi leaves the sleeping man with a letter in case he wakes up and disappears like the assassin he is. It explains in brief words why he's there with an accompanying jade ring that contains a bit of her qi. In the future, when they meet again, at least he'll recognize his savior and maybe do her a favor.

Fan Shuangxi walks down from the third floor and passes the reception area on her way out. The servant girl manning the front bows gracefully as Fan Shuangxi arrives, the crystal ball on the reception table lighting up in her presence.

"Good morning, sir!"

Fan Shuangxi pauses. She knows she's the only one around but she still looks from side to side. Reluctantly, she glances down to her chest.

Is she, is she too flat-chested that the girl mistook her as a man?

"A problem, sir?"

This is in fact in line with her goal to be mysterious what with her opting to wear men's gown while she's traveling. It's just that Fan Shuangxi's encounter with Xiao Chang had left her an impression that she's still a woman in others' eyes since Xiao Chang recognized her as a woman at first glance.

She sighs and turns to nod at the servant girl. In truth, Xiao Chang was only able to discern her gender because their troupe is less conservative. They have also encountered a variety of people and culture all over the world thus, it was easy to determine what Fan Shuangxi is.

The little exchange at the front door put Fan Shuangxi in a depressed state. It doesn't help that her dress is not tight-fitting, thereby hiding one of the signs of her womanhood and increasing her gender's ambiguity.

Ah, fuck it! Let them think whatever they want to! Her inner self harrumphs and proceeds to clean up the dark mess that spilled from her thoughts.

Go away, go away, her inner self chants as she scrubs them out.

She shakes her head and explores the waking ancient city.

Meanwhile, inside her room, the once sleeping figure begins to stir. A groan fills the air and a hand lifts to rub his face. The hand stills then it pats the smooth surface.

It quivers and he shrieks. "Who skinned me?"

 

Fan Shuangxi window-shops until late in the afternoon and by then, she has explored the entire Jin city. She doesn't buy anything as none caught her interest. However, this leisure stroll of hers was not fruitless. She had the chance to observe the interactions of the ancient people, admired the parade of beautiful traditional dresses of men and women alike.

It's like being in a historical drama set and she only needs to hear the director shout 'cut!' to end this reality. She chuckles.

Let just think of this as a long, long take of a scene.

Ah, Fan Shuangxi raises her head to stare at the same blue sky. 

"Excuse me, sir!" a familiar voice calls out and running footsteps near her. Sure enough, it is the same servant girl in the reception that morning.

"Sir! Guest of room 302?" The petite girl pants while her words hint of urgency.

"Yes, did something happen?"

"Wah, Amitabha!" The girl nearly bursts in tears and maybe because she's pump full of adrenaline or lacking in experience, the girl does not hesitate to take Fan Shuangxi's hand and strongly pulls her.

This is clearly not the proper behavior of treating a guest so Fan Shuangxi quickly retrieves her hand from the girl. She hides it behind her back and she frowns.

She hates it when a person unduly touches her.

The girl freezes, realizing her mistake. She pales and hastens to kowtow. "Guest, this servant apologize for her error! Please, this servant asks for your understanding."

Fan Shuangxi flicks her sleeves and retraces her steps back to the inn. The girl, on the other hand, sweats coldly and waits for Fan Shuangxi to pass by a certain distance before rising up and following timidly behind her.

Not only did she acted preposterous in front of the guest, but she also did not immediately explain the situation when asked to. She is without a doubt showing a bit of arrogance.

Fan Shuangxi doesn't really care much about etiquette or the propriety to be observed in accordance with one's class, there is only one thing she wants others to respect, that is, personal space. Approach only when you are welcome and when you're not, maintain your distance. She can tolerate others disrespecting her but she can never ignore people violating her little bubble.

Soon, the two arrive at the Cloud Ink Inn and Fan Shuangxi meets the manager on the stairway, he is heavily sweating and visibly collapsing in relief upon seeing her. Fan Shuangxi's eyebrows scrunch and her stride lengthens while her skin prickles. The sensation is uncomfortable but she can easily endure it. She immediately focuses on the distressed manager, the sensation disappearing after she forgets it.

"Guest," the manager cries and folds both hands to beg, "please, I implore you, please tell the Blessed one to calm his anger and if he has dissatisfaction with our services, the Cloud Ink Inn will do its best to correct it. Please, let him understand that most of our guests here are civilians, the majority of us can't withstand his gas field."

Only then does Fan Shuangxi understands the problem. It seems Hao Fang is awake but instead of leaving quietly as he should, he starts a tantrum, showing off his displeasure by releasing his abundant qi and suffocating those below the 3rd stage with its pressure.

Hey, aren't you announcing your presence loud and clear out here? Do you want to die so badly? Her inner self scolds.

A cultivator's spirit ocean is as unique as one's DNA, there's no other copy in this universe. In fact, one can say that spirit oceans are more selective than DNA, even twins are said to each have an extremely unique print of spirit ocean despite being born from the same womb. Therefore, when there are conflicts in identity, the method always used to determine who is who is usually through a cultivator's spirit ocean. The only disadvantage of this method is that it applies only to cultivators, normal people are unable to use this due to the fact that they lack a spirit ocean.

Fan Shuangxi nods in acknowledgment and strides towards the third floor.

The manager sighs while the girl meekly stops beside him and he glares. He is an observant man so when he noticed that Fan Shuangxi was frowning when she entered while the girl meekly tailed behind her, the manager knew the servant girl has been impulsive and offended the guest. One of the reasons why he is also sweating badly was because not only does he have to appease the ancestor on the third floor, his roommate must also be annoyed at them and may not be willing to help them at all. Thank Buddha the guest was not unreasonable and decided to help them.

The manager's eyes land on the crystal ball on the reception desk, the dull color signifying that there are no cultivators in its proximity. The manager dabs his temples. Cultivators are always a handful, they tip generously especially the higher-ranked ones but they have weird tempers. Normal people like them must tread carefully lest all their blood vessels and organs burst out with just a massive aura release.

As the people below put their faith on Fan Shuangxi, their savior walks to her room without much alarm. Her right bell is not ringing so whatever is happening inside her room, it won't pose any danger to her.

Fan Shuangxi doesn't forget her manners and knocks on the door. She doesn't wait for a reply and enters without hesitation. This is her room too.

To her surprise, the room is untouched. Good, at least he did not have a hissy fit.

Hao Fang is sitting on his bed, his black hair covering his face as his head bows. It is an uncomfortable position and who knows how long he's been on it although, it doesn't seem to bother him.

Fan Shuangxi hadn't discovered it when she was in the front entrance but now that she's near him, she can feel the pressure that's making everyone below restless.  For Fan Shuangxi, it is only a sticky sensation.

Ugh, she wants a bath.

Normal citizens who fear for their life, "..."

Fan Shuangxi grasps her hip, "How long are you going to be like this?". This man is too unpredictable. He is not acting as an assassin should. In fact, he's broadcasting his location like he doesn't have enemies.

He isn't this careless, her inner self reminds as his life-story skims in her mind.

"Did nearly dying traumatize his brain?" She mumbles out loud.

Hao Fang whips his head, his blank face somewhat giving Fan Shuangxi an impression of a wide-eyed look and a gaping mouth. "What did you say?"

Fan Shuangxi's eyebrow scrunch, sensing something off but can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

She doesn't respond and takes the time to review what she read about Hao Fang. The assassin grew up in a chaotic environment so he learned how to be cautious at a young age. Silent and cold, his subordinates rarely had the chance to have a heartwarming talk with their leader. Hao Fang's trust is hard-earned and those who had the privilege to receive it are less than few and that is why the betrayal he received in the end had brought him into a frenzy.

But the cold persona of Hao Fang is no longer evident in this person Fan Shuangxi faces.

Can it be that his real personality is deeply hidden? She thinks then shakes her head. Perhaps if she hadn't read his life, she'd be convinced of this line of thinking but she had and everything in it came from his perspective. All his pent up frustrations, envies, and demons that lurk in the depths of his heart, all of it she had read and all of it true.

Maybe, he is acting because he is wary of her? Possibly.

Fan Shuangxi drags a chair and sits. "Hello," she slowly starts, "I am Xi Shuang. I was traveling down south when I encountered your unconscious body on the road and saved you. You were badly injured so I quickly brought you to the city and have you healed." Of course, she's not going to say that she watched him die and was even reluctant to help him. Those kinds of things, he doesn't need to know.

Hao Fang brings a hand on his face. "Was my face like this when you found me?" His voice trembles.

Fan Shuangxi blinks. "Eh?" Don't you know it is your skin mask? Fan Shuangxi almost blurts out but foresight tells her to hold her tongue.

Does he have amnesia or something? Her inner self mumbles.

Hey, hey, hey! Her inner self excitedly cheers. What if, what if this is a transmigrator?

Fan Shuangxi can't veto that thought a second time because the current Hao Fang is raising red flags with his behavior. The Bell of Truth hasn't made a sound too.

The golden bell on her left ear only chimes when someone is consciously lying to her. It doesn't react when someone withholds information especially when that someone is being truthful or when someone doesn't know that the words they say are misleading. In fact, one can even point out that as long as the person truly believes that their words are the truth then, the Bell of Truth will not chime.

But if so, why did transmigration happen? Wait, the goal right now is to determine the truth. Does this man has amnesia or is it a transmigrator? If it's the former, all she can do is pretend she doesn't know his other status and pretend to help him but if it is the latter, then she has to determine if she can work with the person or not.

Fan Shuangxi is extremely wary that she'll be dragged in the novel's events by just interacting with some cannon fodders or the leads. Although from what she remembered on her list of leads, she hadn't found Hao Fang's name.

Hao Fang points a finger on his blank face. "This face? Who pranked me? For goodness' sake, this is not fun! Is this the set for Black Belly Genius Doctor?1Just a shout out to one of my inspirations. As I've said, I will not act in it! Where's my manager? I've been calling out but no one is listening! Don't play the fool! I know there are people outside but they've been ignoring me. Just because I can't move does not mean I will let this pass!"

Fan Shuangxi only blanks out as Hao Fang starts his tirade. Without her prompting, Hao Fang had spilled his situation.

Modern lingo? Check.

"Er."

"What? Cat got your tongue? Just so you know, I can sue you and everyone who participated in this prank!" Hao Fang roars and his gas field immediately shoot up.

Fan Shuangxi's eyes widen. It doesn't affect her much but she now knows why the people of Cloud Ink Inn has been quivering in fear. Hao Fang must have been randomly releasing explosive pressure every time he gets angry, thus explaining why none dared to enter this room.

But, man, her inner self drawls. Is this guy stupid? Why is he venting and not analyzing his situation? Did he not feel off?

"Get this thing off right this instant!" Hao Fang orders at Fan Shuangxi.

"I don't know how," Fan Shuangxi shakes her head.

"You, you," Hao Fang points a trembling finger. Fan Shuangxi doesn't know why but she can imagine his face turning bright red in anger despite his human skin mask being impeccable.  "Don't you know who I am?"

"No." This present you I don't but the previous you, yep, albeit in a sneaky way but she won't voice that of course.

Different person after death? Check.

Fan Shuangxi can hear Hao Fang grinds his teeth and her lips twitch. Poor Hao Fang. The one inheriting his body has quite a temper. How can he control Hao Fang's organization, Fan Shuangxi wonders. Her eyes glint and she realizes that she can witness first hand how transmigrators deliver their face slappings to cannon fodders.

Though, is this guy even capable? Her inner self doubts. Maybe, he is also a cannon fodder?

Seeing that Fan Shuangxi is not listening, Hao Fang roars again. "I am Two from the girl idol group Phantastes, winner of Feitian Awards' Best Actress category and the heiress of Feng Corporations." Hao Fang calms down. "Release me now and I will reconsider your violations against me."

Fan Shuangxi tilts her head and is amazed by this person's achievements, dulled only by an issue with anger management. Unfortunately, that's not the most noteworthy observation right now.

She purses her lips while Hao Fang and the violent energy around him calm down.

Fan Shuangxi rubs her nose and sighs. "Do you realize what you are? Your gender, I mean," she quickly adds.

"I am a woman. Don't you have eyes?"

Her eyes flash with ridicule. "Hmm, yes I do. The question is, do you?"

Hao Fang huffs and glances down. She's a flat chested woman but she has never seen a person confusing her gender!

Strange, why doesn't she feel a bump on this robe? Hao Fang freezes and her hands tremble as she pats her chests. She pales and her eyes drop to the area between her legs. Her hands inch closer until she touches it. She shivers.

Oh my god! It's a little birdie! Actually, not quite little...Hao Fang shakes her head and stares in horror. She mechanically turns to Fan Shuangxi.

Fan Shuangxi smiles with an innocent air. "So, how shall I address you? Miss or Mister?"

Hao Fang's eyes roll back to his head and he faints.

13