13: Vivid Eyes
199 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orz. This is a week late and supposed to be published with Chapter 14 but I haven’t met my word goal so, please enjoy Chapter 13 for a while.

In the middle of Ji City, the famous Cloud Ink Inn has turned into rubble within minutes. Not long after the devastation, a day to be exact, the land rumbles and the debris rise up from the broken pile with a glow of unmistakable purple.

The unexpected process starts from the innermost location and like a classic Tetris, parts of the inn drop down in their previous position. Pillars stand upright, broken cabinets mend, and torn paper walls glue back together and smoothen without a crinkle. It is a fascinating turn of events, scratch that, fascinating turn of time as if the previous mayhem that marred the streets and collapsed the centuries-old building didn't happen.

A minute.

It took a minute to break down the establishment and the same amount is spent rebuilding it.

The view near that is amazing, isn't it? Fan Shuangxi sighs. Seeing parts drop from above like boom, boom, boom and after the smoke clears, the magic is done and everything is as it should be. Alas! Fan Shuangxi can only witness the game-like event from her perch on the edge of the sailing ship.

“The rune I've created is both a protection and reversal charm.”

Fan Shuangxi jolts as Hao Fang leans on the ship's railing, his back against the fading country.

“The concern is not needed.”

“Well, I was unaware it has another function,” Fan Shuangxi mumbles. She swings her feet, unbothered by the fact that one push is all it takes for her to go overboard.

Hao Fang observes her uncaring attitude with a small tilt of his head. He doesn’t remind Fan Shuangxi to be cautious. Instead, his appearance is that of a man waiting for something entertaining to happen.

Want me to fall and make a fool of myself, would you? Fan Shuangxi huffs. The jokes on you, bruh, I know how to walk on water. Ha!

Fan Shuangxi’s mouth curves upward and she turns her head away.

“I remembered something, Xi Shuang. Didn’t you say you’re a messenger?” Hao Fang offhandedly opens. A big wind passes through and catches Fan Shuangxi in surprise. She closes her eyes, her head caressed by the cool zephyr and her short hair fluttering behind her.

She hears the sound of the sails of the three-masted ship expanding and she opens her eyes in time to witness the activation of the sailing rune. The creamy surface of the sails flash yellow and then fades until nothing is seen.

When Fan Shuangxi drops her gaze in front of her, the once visible Qiuju continent is no more. Endless horizon and the blue yet calm sea greet her like an old friend. The view strangely reminds her of Shen Qian.

The sea. The ocean. They will forever be there at the edges of huge continents, beautiful islands, and desert plains. They may disappear from her view from time to time but they aren’t nonexistent. They’re there, waiting, waiting until its sandy shores, lulling waves, and peaceful enormity are needed to purge her mind from chaotic ramblings.

“Are you listening? Xi Shuang?” Hao Fang snaps his fingers in front of Fan Shuangxi.

“Er,” Fan Shuangxi blushes. “I was thinking.”

“You’re always thinking,” Hao Fang crosses his arms and props his hip to give her a raised eyebrow. “Are you rehearsing what to tell me, huh?”

“Why do I need rehearsing?” Fan Shuangxi bites back after a spark of recollection brings her back on track. “I am a messenger!”

“You’re so insistent with that road. Well, then, from whom did you receive the message? I would like to thank this all-knowing one for the piece of warning that hasn’t reached me in time.”

Fan Shuangxi rolls her eyes. “Listen, here! This esteemed one chose to remain anonymous but the gracious one did say that he belongs to a prestigious clan.”

Hao Fang guffaws at Fan Shuangxi’s passionate declaration. “Yes, keep on the bullshit.”

Fan Shuangxi’s eyes redden.

Hao Fang blinks innocently. “Please? Go on. I’m listening.”

Fuck! He’s not lying, the mean bitch! Listen Fan Shuangxi, do not cave, do not fucking cave!

“He, he is from,” Fan Shuangxi grits, “from the renowned…” she trails.

Ah! I don’t know! Drop a name! Kyah!

She shuts her eyes. “From the Fan clan!”

Silence.

“Hmm, no wonder, no wonder,” Hao Fang nods while Fan Shuangxi searches for his subordinate. She hopes his subordinate didn’t hear it.

“Do you believe me now?” Fan Shuangxi questions.

Hao Fang smiles. “Yes. I believe you now, Fan Shuangxi!”

Fan Shuangxi sighs in relief. Good, her right ear hasn’t rung!

Wait. Her inner self pushes the rewind button.

Wait!

Did he just call me Fan Shuangxi?

Screams of horror resound inside Fan Shuangxi’s head.

In the process of gathering information, a keen eye is required as well as having the ability to bluff. Some information can be gleaned by just a glance, a few must be investigated thoroughly, while most information can be extracted from the source by a sleight of hand, or in this case, tongue. Like a magic trick, misdirection, especially in conversations, can often reveal what one needs without spending a sweat.

Greenhorns fall for this cheap ploy while for Two who has sat and personally negotiated her contracts for an advantageous return, heard and has spoken conversations with double meanings, this trap is nothing more than air; natural, both in execution and usage.

“How?” Fan Shuangxi gapes with such a vivid expression that Two can’t help to tease.

“I didn’t know for sure but as I thought, your reactions betray you. Xi. Shuang.” Two emphasizes the name and smirks. However, there are other factors that also don’t add up such as Fan Shuangxi’s contradictory attitudes. The need for Hao Fang’s memory to return, her spooked expressions, but perhaps the most damning of all is the glow of knowledge behind her brown eyes.

What Fan Shuangxi doesn’t know is that she has vivid eyes. Her face may remain blank and acts according to what she wants but Fan Shuangxi’s eyes betray her.

It holds too much innocence, too much naivety, too much pity. Two only has to look on those brown orbs to know; this girl is privy of everything but she is too scared to reveal it. Justified, unfortunately, Two’s not the type to remain uninformed, unarmed, and unprepared.

Even now, Fan Shuangxi projects a look of contempt but her glazed eyes reveal vulnerability. Fear.

Fan Shuangxi sneers. “Be careful Hao Fang, your mask is slipping.”

Two coughs while her hand twitches from her side. The desire to ruffle Fan Shuangxi’s hair fills her despite the obvious guard the latter has up. It reminds Two of her pit-bull at home, aye, so menacing yet so cute at the same time. Mn! Two wants to pet so badly!

“I told you, I will not do anything to endanger your life,” Two cloaks Hao Fang’s aura and voice. “While we are traveling together, I will be your friend.”

It is a sincere proclamation.

“Kid, you need some guidance to adulthood. Don’t worry, big sis will teach you!” Two adds quietly.


Meanwhile, inside a residence in Jin city.

“Foolish!”

Servants quiver behind their master while the head of the household throws a cup at the kneeling young master Jiao.

“To dare trifle with a power you can’t even defeat. Hmph! Who gave you such a face?” The wisened old visage crumples as his nostrils flare. “If you wish to die early then do not bring this household along death’s door!”

Young master Jiao remains prostrated on the floor despite his soaked upper garment and unbound bun. The Head continues his rant, his measured but heavy words trickle from a small opening of a side door and into the hearing of a young man whose big gray eyes water.

The young man’s pink lips tremble and snot rolls down from his nostril. He doesn’t have any awareness of his dirty state. His shoulders slump and a childlike whimper surrounds him.

The scolding session inside pauses.

“Feng-er, don’t be sad, don’t be sad.” The once angry voice has switched into a soft tone. The hand that has been heavy lightly pats the young man’s shoulder, uncaring of the nearly identical height between the two.

“Shhh. Shhh.”

There is only one thing this Jiao father and son treasures the most; a young man with an adult’s body and a child’s mind.


Hao Fang—scratch that, Two’s teasing hasn’t dissipated Fan Shuangxi’s skepticism. More and more, Fan Shuangxi discovers that her evaluation of Two is far too lacking to describe the actress.

Two is an enigma; friendly at first then aggressive the next.

Fan Shuangxi is in the midst of a crossroad. There are two options presented by her mind: give up and hand all the reins or fight back until her last breath.

“You were never this uptight the first time we met,” Two interrupts.

“I thought you were nice. Difficult but nice.” Fan Shuangxi confesses. “You’re not. You’re horrible.”

Two throws her head and lets out a burst of belly-full laughter. Fan Shuangxi glares at the ground as the unabashed woman, man—man, her inner self sighs, continues to reveal her true colors. The dynamic of their relationship has turned upside down. Two is intimately in the know that she has caught the leash while Fan Shuangxi is the dog who’s being trained; obey or disobey.

The outcome will depend on how much Fan Shuangxi is willing to yield and how much Two is willing to let slide.

“Come on, is this how you treat a friend?”

“If someone tells you that would you trust him?”

“I won’t.”

“Exactly.”

“But you’re different. You’re my savior and we’re fellow women trapped in a new and dangerous world. We should stick with each other, don’t you think?”

There’s one thing Fan Shuangxi hasn’t revealed yet to this confident woman. That is, this is a world from a BL novel series. If Two knows Fan Shuangxi wonders if Two can still spout about sticking together.

Poor you. Being able to decipher Fan Shuangxi’s real name doesn’t mean much. For one, the Fan clan has been out of the limelight for at least five generations. All Two might gather are hearsay, myths, gossips, enough to cement Fan Shuangxi’s background and add credibility to her alibi.

“You know, Xi Shuang. If you hadn’t used your alibi back then and just insisted as a clueless savior, I wouldn’t have been curious.”

Orz. I know. Fan Shuangxi cries silently.

Aish. You’ve dug the pit you find yourself buried into. Fan Shuangxi can only scold herself for her over-preparation.

Lying truly is not her forte. Fan Shuangxi’s head sags and an air of gloom surrounds her. However, her pity-party does not hinder her from recognizing the signature aura of Hao Fang's subordinate, Lang Yi. No sound betrays his approach nor a trace of his breath escapes when he pauses outside Hao Fang's room.

“Master.”

Two, who is lazing on her bed, props her head and yawns.

“Did I not say not to disturb us?” The low growl of Hao Fang coming from Two's familiar lazy expression causes a contradiction. Fan Shuangxi has been used to Two's higher-pitched voice and has associated her energetic personality with that voice. However, seeing Two's current facade while hearing a deeper pitch is like finding a tomato in your fruit salad...and eating it.

The vivid image causes Fan Shuangxi to make a face.

“This subordinate apologizes, master.”

“Well?” Two inspects her nails and frowns.

“There is an urgent matter needing master's attention.”

“My attention, you say?” Two walks to the door without asking for Fan Shuangxi's opinion. “Were you this incompetent in deciding a course of action?” The voice gradually fades.

Helpless, Fan Shuangxi can only follow. She takes a small staircase and walks past the wooden door that leads to the upper deck. There's no such thing as a stirring wheel to guide the ship nor extra personnel to keep watch. What it has is a clump of crystal-like spheres sustaining the qi consumption of the ship, and runes guiding its course similar to a compass only that the runes do not always point to the north but to the direction it is meant to arrive. 

Of course, the specific the destination the higher is the cost but a big advantage is no one will be lost at sea. This kind of sailing vessel is in high demand, according to dear Google, and runemasters who are masters of the sailing craft even more so. Luckily, Lang Yi is the latter. All he needs is a ship, any ship, and it becomes a high tech magic vessel in a flash.

The night is quiet, the stars are twinkling, and the air is cold. Fan Shuangxi habitually rubs her arms. She is curious about the trouble Lang Yi has mentioned but her eyes land past the helm of the ship and to the glowing sea.

Galaxy Currents

There, a few yards in front of their ship is a glimmering unknown. Turquoise in color, luminescent, akin to a glow in the dark stick yet flexible and breathtaking. It encompasses the horizon to the point Fan Shuangxi cannot determine where the line begins and ends.

The sight brings a suffocating sensation deep within her and tears start to gather on the brim of her eyes. The foreign sea fills her vision but its familiarity gives her comfort. It calls her, flickering in an invitation, pulsing like a living being.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

It beats in tandem with her heart.

Or so Fan Shuangxi imagines.

“Onwards. This master does not cower to any man, much less a bunch of sea urchins.

The unhurried command pierces through Fan Shuangxi's reverie. The glimpse of a memory vanishes faster than a candle's smoke, leaving no trace of awareness, only a sense of loss.

“Xi Shuang will come with me to check out the vessel.”

Lang Yi bows while Fan Shuangxi squints. “Vessel? I do not see any vessel.” 

In the vastness of the sea, only the glowing path of teal disturbs its otherwise tranquil waters. From what Fan Shuangxi observes, it is only their sailing ship that is journeying in the area. Hao Fang slowly turns his head with an unblinking stare.

“Are you for real?” Is what Hao Fang's gaze seems to mean, Fan Shuangxi ventures to guess.

Fan Shuangxi's forehead furrows and she sweeps her gaze in front of her once again. Aside from the glowing sea, there's nothing even protruding the surface.

“Fascinating. You really are fascinating.” Hao Fang chuckles but Two's playful smirk bleeds out from his pink lips. “Very well. As your dear friend and companion, let me help you to see what is hidden in plain sight.”

Before Fan Shuangxi can come up with a retort, Hao Hang waves his hand and a string of runes flash in the air. They fly away and form an outline of a three-masted sailing ship far bigger than what Fan Shuangxi and the others are riding.

The urge to ask is at the tip of Fan Shuangxi's tongue but her cautious nature tells her to watch for a moment longer.

“The art is inconspicuous. Whoever they are, they won't know their invisible barrier has been undone. ”

Hao Fang informs the clueless Fan Shuangxi, causing the silent Lang Yi to gape in shock. He quickly remedies the slip in expression with a serious downturn of his lips. Master is becoming weirder and weirder. Does he fancy--Lang Yi puts a stop on his thoughts before it can spiral out of control.

Lang Yi's reaction goes unnoticed by the two transmigrators, their sights set on the forming sailing ship cruising along the glowing waters. 

How? Is the question Fan Shuangxi wants to ask. How did she not sense that hulking vessel? I thought this body is OP? Why have you failed me now?

“Let's go.”

“What? Is it safe?”

Fan Shuangxi blurts but Hao Fang is already in the air, his high jump easily drops him off to the roof of the ship.

I don't know how to swim. The cry lodges in Fan Shuangxi's throat and with great reluctance, she jumps off the ship while closing her eyes. However, it isn't long before she is entranced by the welcoming glow she can glimpse from behind her eyelids.

Fan Shuangxi dares a small peek and prepares for a blinding experience. 

“Don't be afraid. I will protect you.”

A breath blows on her cheek, the words intimate and true.

Fan Shuangxi gasps, her eyes wide open. She glances behind her and the distraction causes her to plummet.

“Kya!” 

She screams as she zooms into the glowing waters.

Splash!

Hao Fang stands speechless. Fan Shuangxi is dependable...most of the time, it seems.

The sudden noise catches the attention of the people below deck and two men, bulky in stature, walk out brandishing short swords. They wear commoner's robes yet they are armed with weapons uncommon to the masses.

A well-hidden ship and armed passengers. It is either they are escorting someone important or this ship is part of an illegal trade.

Hao Fang summons his mask and applies it on his face. The blank skin surface that once horrified Fan Shuangxi finally consists of big brows, small squinting eyes, and thick lips. His dark, luxurious robe turns bland, the silky black hair becomes a messy bun and his smooth skin roughens.

Hao Fang silently drops to a corner and begins his undercover act.


Everything is brightly lit. Is she facing up towards the sky or down the depths? Fan Shuangxi doesn't know.

Everything is warm. She wants to stay in this place longer. It feels too much like her mother's embrace.

“What is your name?”

Xi Shuang.

“Why are you in this dangerous place? Where is your clan?”

Fan Shuangxi's brows clash.

I...do not know.

“What are you planting?”

Planting?

Fan Shuangxi's fingers twitch.

“My body.”

A childlike voice answers.

Fan Shuangxi's eyes flicker open, her body bobbing on the surface of the water.

“How do you plant a body?”

She murmurs, honestly curious. The glowing waters she is submerged in loses its bright light, fading until a small glow behind her creates a silhouette, a halo of sorts, hesitating to bid goodbye.

However, the light disappears in the end and the dark depths remain as her companion.

An image flickers into existence.

Entangled sprouts, one violet the other golden, planted in a blackened soil having a tinge of dark red. 

6