20: The Plot
202 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has taken her exactly four days, fifteen hours, and six minutes to pinpoint the timeline they are in. 

The spring season of the hundredth year of An Xing Era, during the reign of Emperor Bao Zheng of the Tian Song Empire right at the rising action of the fourth book and three years before the start of the third book of the Founding Fathers series.

“And that matters because?”

Cai Xiaoxi ignores Two’s lazy reply as she concentrates on reconciling her knowledge with their own reality. She slides the gradually lengthening scroll on the low table to create more space to write. When her brush runs out of ink, she dips it on the inkstone, her other hand taking care of her sleeves so as not to dirty the material and her paper. 

Out of the three, Cai Xiaoxi is the one who has embraced her new role like fish taken to the water, her genteel composure even more of a contradiction to that of Two’s languorous disposition. 

“The third book is where Hao Fang first appeared but his back story is revealed during the fourth book,” Cai Xiaoxi remarks. She casts a sideways glance and finds Two relaxing on a long couch, her back supported by numerous pillows. Cai Xiaoxi’s heart squeezes and she sniffs. “What a waste!”

Hao Fang, ah, Hao Fang. She has realized too late that her favorite character has been with her all along.

Hu, hu, hu. Such dishonor! Cai Xiaoxi cries as Two’s actions continue to shatter the beautiful image of Hao Fang inside her mind. The silent and enduring protector is no more, instead he is replaced by a two-faced and clueless actress who is no doubt planning to take over the world.

“Oi, you’re doing that funny thing again. Look, if you like facial exercises that much I can teach you. I know a lot of effective ones.”

Cai Xiaoxi clears her throat. “Aren’t you interested in your role or the role you’re supposed to be in?”

“Can’t say I don’t but no need to get worked up about it.” 

“Near the start of the fourth book, an injured Hao Fang was supposed to have been rescued by Feng He, the male lead of the fourth book.” Cai Xiaoxi turns her gaze to Two and recalls Fan Shuangxi’s lengthy explanation of how she rescued Two.

 Within forest of Qiuju continent, in the independent country of Ji.

Cai Xiaoxi suddenly remembers how it should have happened according to the text of the fourth book, “Whispers with the Wind”:

Feng evaded Jiao Fei’s guards and quietly slipped away from the camping caravan he was with. That young master Jiao treats this good-for-nothing brother of his pretty well and thus, this disguise had lived a good life. However, no matter how good he was living now, Feng He must remember his goal. He will avenge the death of his mother and take back his birthright. 

The wind fluttered past him, carrying with it the scent of blood and the imperceptible sound of a gasping breath.

Soon after, Feng He found him—a dying man.

“So, it was Xi Shuang that pulled you out of death’s clutches? Her intervention would have its repercussions especially since Wolf Howl was a crucial piece in Feng He and Nie Qihei’s reunion.” Cai Xiaoxi cites the second male lead. Her finger unconsciously traces a circle on a certain part of the scroll.

She has labeled it: The Summit at the Dark Lord’s Residence.

“Interesting isn’t it?” Two’s shadow covers a tenth of the open scroll, her gaze settling on the spot Cai Xiaoxi’s finger is pointing.

“How do you think this world works? As a universe created from imagination, would it go on its way to re-align the events or is this Feng He going to be doomed?” Two bends her knees to sit across Cai Xiaoxi, the scroll between them. Both her elbows are on the smooth, brown surface, her hands entwining while an unknown emotion passes her eyes.

Cai Xiaoxi has a distinct feeling Two is looking at the scroll in a way a Chessmaster contemplates her next moves. “We won’t find out until it happens. But there is one fact that we must acknowledge.” Cai Xiaoxi holds Two’s gaze.

“You and I embody characters of the Founding Fathers series while Xi Shuang,” Cai Xiaoxi’s voice trails. “Whatever role Xi Shuang has, I’m afraid I’ll have to assume it is a role far bigger than the series.” In fact, there are two ways to look at Xi Shuang’s appearance. One, someone of less significance and arrived here by chance or second, someone with a role to play. If there is one thing Cai Xiaoxi learned reading fantasy books, it is this; transmigration stories only has two roles for their transmigrators: hero or villain.

Two’s eyes narrow. “Are you doubting Fan Shuangxi’s moral character?”

Cai Xiaoxi blinks, taken aback. “No. She is a good child but honestly, the fact she was the one who found you and me means she plays an important role.”

“More than a mob character role, you mean?” Two supplies the word Cai Xiaoxi doesn’t utter. “Didn’t it cross your mind that three transmigrations is a game-changing phenomenon? Why did we arrive in close succession and,” Two pauses, “why did the three of us even meet?”

In a world spanning ten continents, why did they transmigrated near each other?

“In my opinion,” Two leans backward with her arms behind her, “these pre-destined events are insignificant. The ripples on the water are already spreading and the future you’ve read about is as good as pointless.”

“I disagree.” Cai Xiaoxi’s eyebrows slant down. “Don’t assume everything is already in disarray. I’ve read every book of the Founding Fathers series and the lore of the land has always been consistent. Author Kai Xinguo’s world-building is nearly flawless in its execution, although her fans still have questions but nothing a few more books can’t answer.”

Two yawns.

Cai Xiaoxi’s right eyelid twitches. “What I am trying to say is, one or three variables is not enough to overturn a deep foundation. It would take significant unknowns for the scale to tip into a different direction.”

“You sure love this series, no?” Two observes.

“But I do agree with you that events will change, the gravity of these changes, however, will have to be seen firsthand.” Cai Xiaoxi finishes her analyzation with a tip of her head. 

“Fine, I’ll acknowledge that stance. Who is right and who is wrong, we’ll find out won’t we?”

Cai Xiaoxi sighs and wonders how Fan Shuangxi survived her time with Two when the woman is completely unreasonable most of the time. Cai Xiaoxi conveniently forgets she’s facing her favorite character. As far as she’s concerned, the person she’s conversing with is Two and not her beloved Hao Fang.

“And then what happened?”

“I thought you’re not interested.”

“No, but I’d like to know which area I should be watching out for. Evidence, after all, is needed to prove a point.”

“My, you’re quite disgusting.”

“People who’ve said that to my face never saw the light of day.”

“Well,” Cai Xiaoxi shrugs, “we’re allies, aren’t we?”

Two only smiles.

Unlike Fan Shuangxi, Cai Xiaoxi concludes, Two is the one whose trust is harder to gain, the one who keeps her trust close to her chest, doling out minute pieces using a standard only she understands. 

“No matter,” Cai Xiaoxi beams. In her career, no customer had ever left her store unsatisfied of her service. It will take time but winning people over is a goal she welcomes. Her eyes land on the label she has written.

“First,” Cai Xiaoxi taps the name, “let’s continue with this; The Summit at the Dark Lord’s Residence.”

In order to catch her customer’s attention, Cai Xiaoxi has developed the skill of storytelling. Start with something intriguing and after, weave the goal in between the lines, hook the customer’s attention on a certain subject and put the product out of the spotlight but with enough presence that one small nudge is all the customer needs to discover an unexpected delight.

“The Summit will kickstart the romantic plot of the fourth book because this is the meeting of the most powerful clans in the Nether Realm and the Nie clan, the second most powerful clan of the Demon race will send Nie Qihei as their representative.” Cai Xiaoxi gently sets aside the scroll and pulls up a parchment.

“The Demon race is part of the First races, aren’t they?”

“No, they are not part of the First races.”

“Excuse me, I am confident I’m right. They are.” Two rebuffs, “unless Xi Shuang fed me another false information.”

Cai Xiaoxi opens her mouth in a cusp of a passionate tirade but pauses. “In essence, I suppose they are as their lineage branched out from the Deities, the race that was the primordial rulers after creation.”

“Yes, followed by the Fae and the Draconian. Besides, doesn’t the term ‘First Races’ define the races which have existed long before the Mother Goddess’ children were born?” Two adds.

Cai Xiaoxi frowns and she concentrates. “Now, I’m  confused.”

She taps the empty parchment. After a moment’s musing, she grabs her brush and begins to write. “In the prologue of the first book, this is the creation story,” she offhandedly murmurs, her hand twisting and turning in elegant movements as she recounts the beginning of the world she loves.

Mirror Heart, Prologue

Long ago, when chaos subsided, when the three realms where created, and when the air was filled with spirits, entities of astounding power were born. They held the realms at the palm of their hands, their bodies molded with the soul of the universe. 

They were the Primordials. The first gods of the stars. From the dust of the world and not of the womb, they are the heralds of life and creation.

In time and from a different make the Fairfolks and the Draconian rose, mighty beings subservient to their eldest kin. But such harmony didn’t last and soon, the War of Dissonance raised its horns and blew loud and clear with the rise of the Corrupted One, the god, first of its kind, to harness the essence within him rather than the essence freely offered by the world.

The Draconians, volatile with their emotions, fiery in their strength, sided with the Corrupted One and his allies. They fought and warred with the gods of old and the Fairfolks, rendered the Earthen plains inhospitable and devoid of any chance for life to root and flourish.

In their numerous clashes, a maiden rose bathed from the blood of the dead, and with a word brought stillness to the discordant voices and untangled the knots of distrust. With her guidance, the broken symphony regained its sound and the interrupted flow of creation resumed its everlasting course.

The first birth she had brought to existence was the race of water, flexible and ever present, they who would heal the heart and give peace the mind, the Druids.

Next, her contribution to the broken earth, the Giants, they whose bodies cleansed the soiled dirt, knitted crevices, and raised up mountains to astounding heights.

And last of the three births she heralded, was the Mortals, they who only lived on the world with a flicker of a flame but whose unbreakable will tattooed its depths for eternity. Home, was the gift they had showered.

Peace and a unity like no other spread throughout the three realms and from each realms, four pillars were ensconced to symbolize their connection.

“The pillar of Aether, Nether, and Earthen, I assume? The last is a mystery though,” Hao Fang inserts. 

“The pillar of Xingchen.” Cai Xiaoxi adds. “Although it wasn’t explained why it exists alongside the three, only that after the three pillars were built, the pillar of Xingchen rose and mysteriously stayed.”

Cai Xiaoxi’s eyebrow clash deep in thought. “It had a role, if I remember correctly, during the sixth book but,” she waves her hand, “we’ll discuss that on another time. Our current concern is the plot of the first four books as they would dictate what will happen in the next five years or so.”

“Hmm, continue.”

And of course, Cai Xiaoxi resumes her narrative, not because she has instinctively followed the command but because it brings her mind focus on the topic.

She was called the Mother Goddess and soon after introducing the three youngest races, she vanished from the world as unknowingly as she had arrived.

But the phenomenon of her presence birth a different kind of curiosity, one that triggered the War of Chaos.

Cai Xiaoxi pauses, “the War of Chaos was the cause of the current isolation of the three realms.”

On the Aether, the descendants of the Primordials, the Deities reside along with the Fairfolk.

On the Nether is the realm of the Draconians and the descendants of the Corrupted One, a race of gods and goddesses whose practice of the Infernal Arts had irrevocably changed their essence and thus, they were called Demons for the purity of their power had darkened.

And the Earthen, where the three youngest races lived on, unaware pawns of the age-old game between these powerful ancients.

“The enmity continued until a god fell in love with a mortal.” Cai Xiaoxi smiles. Her heart always flutters at that last sentence.

“But then,” Two dryly points, “the mortal wasn’t really a mortal but the Dark Emperor, no?”

Cai Xiaoxi frowns. She really, really hates it when non-fans are being critical of her favorites.

Two’s lips twitch and she crosses her arms. “Thus begins the romance between the Dark Emperor of the Demons and the Supreme King of the Deities.”

“Quite cliche, you know, but well it sells,” Two shrugs her shoulders in a kind of nonchalance that triggers a bashing from someone hot-tempered. Cai Xiaoxi only lets the dig pass her ear.

“That’s the first book. Now, the second book,” Cai Xiaoxi pauses when pain bursts in her chest. She takes a deep breath and rides through the pain. All those moments of suffering and betrayals fly past, experiences she never personally witnessed but the scars she physically owned. The pain hits close to a certain memory she has, of a woman whose role was to endure with a smile even when her life is already falling apart.

“The second book is already at its end so, let’s proceed to the fourth, shall we?” Cai Xiaoxi finally utters.

Two observes her quietly. “According to Fan Shuangxi’s explanation the second book was about an emperor and a prince of which you,” she points a finger, “were the trusted maidservant, no?”

Cai Xiaoxi finally glares at the finger. If she can bite that rude thing without breaking her composure, she will but, alas, this psychological warfare will have to be won rather than lose. “Yes. Xi Shuang’s explanations are not complete. In fact, let me regale you with this summary; the emperor fell in love with Cai Xiaoxi’s master and in a bid to be close to him, the emperor courted Cai Xiaoxi. Of course, this deception was uncovered and the group escaped. The prince and his retinue thought the emperor was planning on capturing the prince and send the prince to his death but the truth of the matter was a capture for a different reason.”

It is evidenced by Cai Xiaoxi’s third person narration that she is distancing herself from her body’s way past but the stiffening of her spine betrays her. Two doesn’t comment on this.

“Cai Xiaoxi sacrificed her life to give her prince time and,” she waves a hand, “dies.”

“In the book, the prince returned to avenge her death only to fall for the emperor. Trust me it was romantic,” Cai Xiaoxi quickly adds upon seeing Two’s derision. “It was romantic.” She repeats but as the person who suffered, the romantic plot has been spoiled by her burgeoning hatred. Her words don’t hold such rose-colored conviction anymore.

To have tortured a woman and never giving reprieve, what kind of mind did that emperor have? Every whip and every bolt of lightning searing her skin is like a punishment for even existing alongside her prince.

Ten thousand two hundred twenty scars.

It is the number of days of her whole existence. Cai Xiaoxi absentmindedly caresses her face. Smooth and unmarred, the jagged and ugly scars being covered by a human mask, nevertheless, they are proof of her suffering though unseen by the eye.

“Hmm, then about the fourth book?” Two’s voice breaks through Cai Xiaoxi’s memory. Her eyelashes tremble but she shakes her head and smiles. She doesn’t blow her breath in obvious relief, instead, she starts her story.

“The fourth book sets in the Nether Realm, in the seat of the Dark Emperor’s power and where three clans fight for supremacy under his all-knowing eyes; the clan of Nie, Feng, and the Dark Emperor’s own clan, the Si.”

 

In the fourth book, her Goggle diary says, it is a tale of star-crossed lovers, the Romeo and Juliet of the Founding Fathers series. True to the love story it is compared to, the two leads fostered love even when their entire clans are at war with each other. 

Fan Shuangxi circles the two male leads’ names; Feng He, the rightful heir of the Feng clan, and Nie Qihei, the prodigal son of the Nie.

And then, the Summit where they confronted each other and cleared the misunderstanding between them. After that are numerous face-slapping as they each conquered their clans while falling deeply in love in the process.

There’s that bit of dying but well, it’s a false alarm and then, happily ever after!

Fan Shuangxi sighs and rubs her temple. The information is too few! Her inner self exclaims.

Yes, it’s effing scraps especially when she takes into account her current residence. Orz.

“Oi, what are you doing there moping about? Does the lady give you too little to work for you to waste time like this?” The head servant for the female maids booms behind Fan Shuangxi.

Fan Shuangxi jumps and bows her head while the book vanishes without a trace. “This servant apologizes, Guo-mama. This servant was observing ants and did not realize the time.” She meekly replies.

Guo-mama narrows her eyes and her tongue readies itself for a scolding.

A cute laughter greets Guo-mama and the disobedient Fan Shuangxi.

“Guo-mama, don’t be too strict with our little Bai Qiang. She’s done all her work and this lady had already given her permission for a few hours of play.” Her three-layered robe trails along the polished mahogany floor, her silver-hair braided in the style of noble ladies within her age group.

Beautiful sparkling eyes blink while the still-forming horns protruding from her temples create a chibi character out of a well-drawn fantasy anime.

So cute! Fan Shuangxi exclaims silently.

“Greetings, my lady, I hope your nap was well.” Fan Shuangxi can hear the warmth from Guo-mama’s voice. Indeed, their young miss, the only lady of the clan, is a treasure pampered by everyone else.

“However, my lady, you must not be lenient with this child. She hasn’t been educated long and if the lady gives her too much space, she won’t learn manners and may even be the cause of your disgrace in the future. As my lady’s immediate maidservant, one you have chosen personally as well, she cannot act even an ounce of misbehavior.”

“Don’t worry Guo-mama, Bai Qiang is obedient.” The lady easily praises.

“This servant won’t disobey my lady!” Fan Shuangxi readily agrees, raising her head to proclaim her loyalty and quickly bowing when Guo-mama glares at her.

“See?”

“Oh, as the lady wishes.” Guo-mama helplessly gives her acquiescence. “Well, what are you doing standing still? Follow the lady.”

“Yes!” Fan Shuangxi quickly scrambles behind the lady.

The lady smiles and resumes her journey. When they pass a curve and Guo-mama out of sight, the lady giggles. “Did you get it, did you get it?”

Fan Shuangxi, knowing what the young lady means, shares a mischievous smile and from within her servant robes she pulls out a pouch.

Fan Shuangxi prides herself for doing her work first before lazing around. 

“Yay! Caramel candy.” The lady cheers and pulls Fan Shuangxi to her secret area in the residence’s garden. She sits beside Fan Shuangxi and swings her feet on the wooden swing made for her use.

“Here, have some. Good work!” Eating sweets is controlled here in the residence with only a select sweet for a particular time of the day. Unfortunately, the little lady has a sweet-tooth and always uses her little servant to sneakily steal some candies from the kitchen.

“What do they have in the kitchen?” The young lady whispers.

Fan Shuangxi’s lips twitch. Their lady is a foodie, her love of food shows on her white and plump cheeks.

Ooh! If she can only pinch them!

“Umm, this servant doesn’t know the name but it smells delicious!” Fan Shuangxi’s body is currently that of a ten-year old girl who physically looks like an eight-year old due to malnourishment, and mortal. “There were ducks and something spicy, although with a bit of sweetness too. Then pork, lots and lots of pork.”

“Oooh,” the lady’s eyes widened. She is twelve years old turning thirteen this year but she still holds such childlike innocence in her.

She smacks her lips, quite unladylike but immensely cute. “Can’t wait for dinner!” She laughs and then munches on her candy.

“But my lady,” Fan Shuangxi softly calls out, “if you continue eating this way you might not want dinner.”

“Nonsense! Who said that? This lady can eat more even after tons of candies!” She lowers her head and whispers. “Don’t you know there’s a separate stomach for sweets? One must first fill it up before eating meat!”

Fan Shuangxi, “...”

Such conviction. Did the lady really believe this or is just teasing her? Her inner self muses.

“Now,” the lady pokes Fan Shuangxi, “go get me more sweets.”

“Um,” Fan Shuangxi pitifully looks up, “but Guo-mama will scold me again.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll wait around the corner and rescue you again!”

“You won’t abandon this servant once dinner starts?”

“Er, of course not! Si Bailan does not abandon her maidservants!” She nods firmly. “Go on Bai Qiang, before dinner starts.” She whispers urgently.

Fan Shuangxi can only sigh inwardly. Her small frame stands up and does a military salute, “yes, my lady!” She stands straight with her fingers pointing her right eyebrows.

Si Bailan blinks at Fan Shuangxi’s gesture while the latter, discovering her actions, lowers her hand and blushes.

Si Bailan laughs merrily, clapping her hand. “Our Bai Qiang really is one of a kind. Good, that’s the spirit.”

Fan Shuangxi bows and quickly leaves. She passes the other maidservants standing guard.

“Bai Qiang, follow Bai Xuan to prepare for dinner.” One of the older girls instruct. This person is Bai Jin, older than the lady by one year and the head of the four personal servants of Si Bailan.

Fan Shuangxi nods. In this residence, she is called Bai Qiang, a name given to her as a bought servant serving under the only young lady of the Si clan.

In this realm, noble ladies name their personal servants with a part of their name to show their ownership. In their case, they are given the first name Bai, and the second name is given to distinguish the servants. 

Their lady has a fondness for flowers and it shows in her servants’ names; in the order of ranking is the first rank servant Bai Jin, White Violet, second is Bai Xuan, White Day Lily, third is Bai Zhi, White Gardenia, and the youngest fourth-ranked Bai Qiang, White Rose.

Fan Shuangxi belatedly realized her dream back then has been about her being chosen by Si Bailan as her fourth maidservant and soon after given the name Bai Qiang.

But the real beginning of her life in this residence began that day, when she woke up with an alien sky and a beautiful planet that she learned to be the Aether Realm, the world of Deities and the Fairfolk.

When Guo-mama found her that day, her scolding wasn’t as tame as earlier and only then did Fan Shuangxi know that this land is the Nether Realm.

The realm of Demons and Draconians.

Worst, she’s smack in the middle of the most dangerous residence of the Nether.

The Si residence and the home of the Dark Emperor’s paternal clan.

This really doesn’t bother Fan Shuangxi though, really! Because her current concern right now is, how will she train?!

If you guys have questions or found something weird, don’t hesitate to comment, I read them and when I judge them to be important I do some editing to fix the problem.

If you guys want to express your love, definitely don’t hesitate to tell me.

I hope you like this chapter! This is Arc 2, The Maid in the Dark Emperor’s Residence.

 

4