Chapter 1: The Fall
272 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I step out of my home having prepared myself for the unauthorised ‘extended’ trip into the village outskirts today. I packed more bait, attached more bags to my belt. I've even got rope and ground anchor because… you never know.

The community is still silent and the mist heavy. The flickering glow of mushrooms on the underside of islands above us still too faint to awaken most. The elders say they twinkle like stars during the night. No one can refute their claims of course, unlike them, the underneath is all we have ever known. I will go to the surface one day. I don't care if Kalos says my kind were banished to live down here by the surface races. But first. I need to help kalos get better. It may be childish of me but I would hope… he would come with me.

I sneak my way through the village making sure not to stand too close to the fabric walls of peoples homes. Luckily Karla is on night duty today on the south post, I made sure of it. I creep my way past the post, hearing her snores reverberating through the wooden structure. once I'm out of sight, I pick up my pace through the mist. I can't have anyone stopping me, they will find out when it's too late.

The mist is thicker the further inland you go, blocking out what little light radiates from above. At least my elven heritage is good for something. my eyes have no issue with the darkness. Although, before I begin to look for medicinal herbs, I need to fill my quota for today. I'm being selfish enough not helping with morning food preparations. If I don't reach my normal foraging goal… let's just say It won't be the others that have their food rations reduced. Also, the last thing I want is for them to stop me from leaving the village altogether.

I look in the crevices of cracked stone that litter the barren landscape. At first, it may look lifeless but that's only if you don't know what to look for. Kalos was a good teacher when it came to species of flora and fungi. Soon, I begin to fill my bags full of various edible mushrooms and mosses, making sure to only take a few parts of each cluster. I even find a few larger varieties. they make my mouth water with the anticipation of tonight's stew. Maybe these will make it up to Sandra? Fortunately, the island we are on has a large supply of edible mushrooms. I am personally fine with eating them but some community members complain about the lack of meat. They shut up quickly though whether through the lecture from kalos — concluded with “they can hunt for it themselves” — or the look from Sandra that can make a Burrow-flit swarm scatter. Some have been stupid enough to try hunting but soon give up when they realise even the small critters down here can be deadly. It best to avoid combat all together unless your awakened.

With my quota complete I start to head deeper into the mist. I still collect mushrooms on the way as more can never hurt but it's time to complete my main objective. Find herbs for kalos to assimilate with. Plants are a rarity down here. The lack of ‘sunlight’ being the major factor I'm told. As much as I hate to say it. It's surprising kalos has lived as long as he has. Being a Graekin, he's just not suited to living in the Underneath. Sandra worries about him as much as I do. The once beautiful flowers and vibrant grasses I remember adorning his body have died off, revealing skin like cracked bark. I owe him more than I could ever repay. He fostered me. Gave me a chance even with the negative views people have on my race. Of course, the community accepted me too… eventually. For a long time, I was just a child of the cursed race.

I look up toward the island above and my mood falls when I notice that the mushrooms are glowing brighter than before. The mist is clearing too. It's almost time for me to head back… I take a quick look around and notice something odd. In the distance, I see light but not from above. I make my way towards it drawn like a Mithrin to a flame. It's close to the edge of the island. Eventually, I get close enough to make out the details. right where the island gives out to the abyss… Is something… green? I see leaves! But The glowing mushrooms on islands in the far distance being the only thing breaking up the black expanse that frames it. Is it worth the risk? I still don't know if it will be good enough to help kalos and it's incredibly risky being even as close to the edge as I am now.

Oh, mists take me if I can't repay him now when there is hope before me, when will I ever? I doing it. I have the rope at least in case I fall. I tie the rope onto the ground anchor before screwing it into suitable ground. Pulling it to make sure it won't just fall out. I then tie the rope to myself.

I steady my breathing and then take a low stance to spread my weight, I creep forward toward the plant careful to test every step. As I get closer I feel my heart begin to race. As kids your told stories of the gigantic monsters that lie below. The difference being that these are not fairy tales. Three-quarters of the way and my legs are seizing. I can't stop now! I stretch my body out along the floor expecting some eldritch horror to rise into my view any second. My hands just in reach of the plant. Carefully, I dig into the dirt with my hands in hopes of not damaging it. I then pull the plant out roots and all. Success! I can't believe I did it!

My joy is cut short by a thunderous crack that echos from above. I may have screamed a little. But their no time to relax. I look up above for the source. The light of the mushrooms making it difficult to see what's happening… Oh, mists have mercy! A large chunk of the island above us is descending downwards. I gingerly trace my steps try to reach safety before the rock hits but to no avail.

The sound is immense as the impact rattles through the entire island in a shockwave. My ears ringing in the aftermath. I'm blown back by the wave before The island tilts making me slide inland slightly but it wasn’t enough. The chunk that I lay on gives way and I plummet down the side of the island screaming with all my might. The rope pulls taut cutting my scream short and removing what little breath I have left. The shaking stops and Silence reigns again. I begin the cough. The combination of being winded and then breathing in a whole load of dust affecting my body.

I'm so, so glad I used rope. I feel myself shudder as I look down at the expanse below. I take a moment to check I haven't broken anything especially feeling around where the rope is fastened. It's painful but I'm all good to go. I begin my climb to the top.

The climb feels like it takes forever, it's not that long of distance but I'm not used to lifting my own body weight for so long. I make it about halfway before I start to hear the sound of claw against stone and shrill chirps. Burrow-Flits. I muster up the energy to climb faster pulling myself up a good meter of the way before I notice the sea of eyes staring at me from burrows in the side of the island. I stare for a moment as they do the same unable to comprehend the sheer numbers of creatures look at me.

I chuckle nervously and as if on queue the creatures take flight. They darting out and swarming around me. I close my eyes and frantically try to pull myself up. I feel it as they screech by my ears and gnaw at my skin. Thousand of tiny lacerations line my body as they cut through my clothes and attack me in a frenzy. I feel my grip slipping but I hold on. It was for naught. the rope snaps above my hands and my body begins its descent into the abyss. I'm sorry kalos, don't be too mad at my stupidity.


 

Pain on a scale I've never felt before afflicts every inch of my body. Every second felt like days. Every day, years. I died or at least I thought I did. I never felt myself hit the ground but I knew id fallen long enough that only an awakened could save me. The pain stops. And I open my eyes but what I see leaves me… confused. “Where am I?

Thanks for reading!

that concludes the first chapter let me know what you think in the comment section. any corrections and criticism welcome. I won't reply to comments asking for clarification of plot/what happens and the like cause if anything you asking that question tells me the chapter needs reworking so you wouldn't have to ask xD 

11