Don’t hit me when I’m jumping off the roof
110 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the end of Michael's tirade, his words got louder and louder, almost breaking into a shout. When he finished, the room stayed silent for several more seconds. Younger students couldn't fully understand the extent of Michael's provocation, so they didn't dare speak first. Some of the older students gloated, while others cheered, but none broke the silence.
Ms. Helen seemed frightened, sneaking looks at her colleagues. After all, she had no real power in this room and was here primarily to make up the numbers. Mr. Jones invited her here, as if expecting the other two teachers to be absent-minded. In fact, he was slightly smiling at the moment, the fire in his eyes ignited by Michael. Unlike the other two, his gaze had no malice.
"That was… something" he finally uttered, realizing that if he let his colleagues speak, he would be inviting more problems to come. Older professor dressed in a suit and tie was staring venomously at Michael with a red face and the unkempt younger man with a patchy beard was pursing his lips, holding back curses. They clearly took the boy's words personally.
"Mikhail, thank you for your report. I'm sure questions are unnecessary at this point, so let's skip those. At the same time, your speech was disruptive to the whole process, so I will have to ask you to leave the room" Jones continued.
Michael's hands trembled, as he realized only now what he had done. Defying the teachers, scolding them? That would be tolerable if he was a student, but not before actually enrolling. And now his dream of reliving the best part of his life was gone forever.
As he found himself taking uncertain steps towards the door, he looked around the room, searching for a friendly face, hoping for a show of support. But the children's faces were uncaring, mocking, or they were too timid to provide help. There were no familiar faces among the kids, meaning not many of them became students here and none became friends with Michael 20 years ago.
As he touched the door handle, Michael suppressed the urge to apologize and beg for forgiveness. He felt that he wasn't any worse than the teachers present, and his pride, while beaten and tattered in his past life, still held true. He quietly left the room and closed the door.
"Very well. Let's do our best to stay concentrated on our exam here" Jones tried to keep up appearances. "Next up is Marco Reed, please, come down to the blackboard".
Jones quickly stood up and headed to the door, leaving the room with "I will be back in a second. Let me just give him a piece of my mind". Two other teachers exchanged a content look, happy that their superior took their side in the conflict. Marco Reed also smiled unpleasantly with his thick lips.

Meanwhile, Michael berated himself again and again for speaking, for standing out, for confronting the teachers, for not holding himself back. However, what's done was done. He could not take back his words of ridicule, and he paid for them dearly. With this, his only chance at living happily for a few more years was gone.
Even now, Michael could feel his limbs filling with lead, his movements becoming heavier and slower. This 14-year-old body was still not ruined by LZD1, but the genetic disease was there, and Michael could feel the phantom pains which he was long used to. After all, even if he became 20 years younger, what's the use if the end can only be the same?
And he cursed himself for being so emotional, for going crazy after feeling strength in his muscles for the first time in ten years. Even though Michael had few real-life experiences, spending over half of his life confined to a bed or a chair, his past life had been a series of highs and lows. He once felt the greatest love, the all-encompassing happiness, and later – heart-burning hatred and soul-freezing helplessness. After being forced to live uselessly in an apartment for ten years, Michael released his bottled emotions for the first time – and suffered for it.
"Quite an interesting thing you did there, Mr. Severniy. Of course, you realize that it won't do you any favors, right?" a voice sounded behind him. Turning back, Michael saw Mark Jones who hid his hands behind his back in a careless manner.
"Don't misunderstand, I really enjoyed your speech. Those guys needed a wake-up call with the way they were behaving, and I think your little outburst helped. I just hope you will think before you do something like that the next time, Mikhail".
Michael looked at Jones warily. He wasn't close with this man before, but he knew of his habits and quirks, and Jones was not the type of man to say such things for no reason.
"For now, the only thing you can do is go home and await our decision. Of course, your chances are not great. There is not much that can be done" Jones sounded very satisfied with himself, like a cat toying with a mouse. He looked away and waited until Michael kept on his way out of the building before speaking up again.
"Do you think you could become one? A great man. Do you think you possess something most people lack? Do you think among millions it's you who is worthy of more than most?" His question forced Michael to turn again, this time with more momentum. Man turned boy didn't need another second to find his answer.
"If only I could, Mr. Jones. If only there was a chance. If only things were different…" he stopped. He said something similar before he jumped and look where it got him. There was no use for hope when he knew the future. Michael hurried to leave, afraid of breaking down in tears before this person.
Jones continued still, "I like to think that nothing is impossible, Mikhail. Maybe one day you could become a great man as well". This time Michael didn't turn his head and left the floor directly.
But his feet took him up the flight of stairs as soon as he knew that he was out of Jones's reach. Instead of heading for the exit, he went up, floor after floor, to the roof. His thoughts muddled, he suddenly found himself on the ledge again, staring down at the ground. This school building was only a few stories tall, but it would be enough for a young boy.
'I thought I would do better this time, but it seems I'm just as useless now as I was before. My decision was right in the end. This is the only thing I'm good for, for making a nice wet spot down there. Damn it!' Michael's thoughts ran faster than he could catch them, his emotions spiraling out of control. He lifted one leg over the ledge in a practiced movement.
"Fuck" he exclaimed, "Alice, I'll see you in my next life! Leon, you sick fuck, don't let me meet you again! This daddy will not be merciful then!" and with these words, Michael once again took the final step in his life.
He was so emotional in this moment that he didn't notice a small shiny silver stone-like object that suddenly appeared in the air out of nowhere. As it began to fall, it felt drawn to Michael's shout and, just as he lost his ground, the stone-like object hit him hard in the forehead. The impact was so great that it threw Michael back and he landed on his butt on the roof again, groaning in pain.
"Goddamn it! This daddy can't even suicide properly!"

1