Chapter 1: An Unexpected Guest
236 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dark clouds hung in the sky above the grey metropolis of Shrikeport- a promise of rain, and the threat of a storm. Wind whistled through the blossoming trees that lined the sidewalks, tangling hair, pulling at umbrellas, and carrying off discarded plastic bags. It was shaping up to be a real storm, thought Lola as she gazed out the front window of the Haven Cafe- her favorite type of weather. 

Despite the approaching storm outside, the inside of the cafe was, if not exactly tranquil, at least cozy and warm. It was always busy this time of day, with the line stretching out the door and the chatter of conversation rising above the vaguely tinny jazz playing over the cafe’s speakers. In fact, the Haven Cafe was one of the most popular coffee shops in the city. 

This was due in part to several factors. 

First: their unparalleled lattes. Although Lola logically knew for a fact that they didn’t use any magic in their recipe, sometimes even she privately suspected- they were just that good. 

Second: the welcoming ambiance. The brick walls lined with local art, the mismatched armchairs and well-worn tables, the cozy golden lighting… The first time Lola had walked in to the Haven Cafe, she’d almost cried: something about the shop felt like coming home to one’s favorite soft armchair after a long day. This might have had something to with magic, Lola had to admit. 

Third, perhaps most importantly: the cafe’s status as neutral territory. Shrikeport was relatively safe, as far as cities went, and hadn’t seen any major wars in centuries, but there were still frequent territory disputes and rivalries among the various groups that lived in the city, hidden from regular mortal view. Mage clans, street magicians, roving bands of shapeshifters, ancient spirits with petty grudges… you name it, Shrikeport had it. 

Lola herself wasn’t anything special: just your average run-of-the-mill person. She just happened to be a bit more observant than most, having noticed the city’s magical underground since she was very young. That was actually how she’d gotten the job at Haven, a cafe that catered to more… unusual patrons. 

Suddenly, a particularly fierce gust of wind shook the windows of the cafe. Lola looked up from the mocha she was making and smiled slightly to herself. There was something about a storm that just made her feel so alive, somehow, like the sky itself was going to fall apart at any minute. And the best part was how fresh and green everything was after rain, the sweet scent of petrichor that so often washed over the city. 

“Hey, Lola!”

She glanced up again to see Cato, his curly dark hair bobbing as he waved at her. “Hey, Cato! The usual, right?”

He smiled at her, the mage-rune tattoo on his left cheek curving. “For your favorite customer, of course!” 

Cato was one of their regulars, coming in nearly every afternoon on his break from working at his family’s shop. His family was one of the mage clans- the Silksmiths- and they ran a magical alterations and tailoring shop on the east side of town. The two of them had slowly struck up a friendship, going and getting brunch together every now and then. Lola enjoyed being able to count on Cato’s bright presence during some of the more dreary afternoons at the cafe. 

Speaking of which… she squinted at Cato, frowning slightly to herself as she started making his drink. “Is everything okay?” she asked. She couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but he seemed a bit subdued, not quite as energetic as usual. 

Cato let out a breath, laughing a little under his breath. “Things have been… hectic in the past few days.” He leaned forward over the counters towards her, looking left and right surreptitiously before saying in a lower voice, “I’ll tell you the full details this weekend at brunch, when we’re alone, but there’s something going on in the Vers Ibrae.” The Vers Ibrae was the mage’s phrase for Shrikeport’s magical underworld. “People disappearing, strange things happening. The seers are in a tizzy about it, too.” She passed him his drink, and he smiled in thanks before continuing, “Just… be safe, okay?” 

Lola nodded. “Of course.” 

He glanced up at the clock on the wall, then back at her. “I have to run. See you later!” 

“Tell your sisters I said hi!” she called as he headed for the door. He gave her a thumbs-up, waving as he stepped outside. The door jingled merrily as it closed behind him.

The rest of the afternoon slowly passed by, and Lola’s shift finished without incident. As she stepped out the back door, the wind whipped through her hair, orange-red strands getting in her face. She ph’d, one hand reaching for her car keys. Above, the clouds had only darkened ominously, looking as though it might begin to pour at any second. Lola fingered the luck charm hanging around her neck (a gift from Cato), and began to quickly walk towards her car. 

Right as she reached the parking lot, the first few drops of rain hit- slow at first, and then all at once a torrent of rain was pouring down. Lola laughed to herself out loud and madly dashed across the parking lot for her car, hopping over the curb and skidding around the corner. Her car beeped as she unlocked it and threw herself into the driver’s seat, a bit out of breath. 

Aaand… she was soaked. Of course. With a chuckle she started the engine, the rain beating a helter-skelter tattoo on the roof of her car. The wheels made a gentle shhhh as she drove out of the parking lot. 

It was just starting to get dark, and the bright neon signs she passed reflected a rainbow of colors onto the wet asphalt as she drove down the street. The afternoon had passed relatively calmly, and she’d felt a bit low-energy, but as she pulled into her apartment’s parking space, stepped out of the car, and took in a breath of the crisp evening air, Lola suddenly felt wide-awake. 

Live in the magical underbelly of Shrikeport long enough and you start to get a sense for when things are about to happen, Lola had discovered. And as she walked towards her apartment, she felt her scalp prickle and the hairs on her arms begin to stand up. Lola sucked in a breath, her hand stealthily creeping towards her purse to reach for her taser. She was on high alert as she climbed up the staircase, scanning all angles to keep watch for any potential danger. 

She opened her apartment door and flicked on the lights, taser held in front of her like a shield. Her breath was bated, instincts screaming at her that something, something, was about to happen. Something to do with magic. 

But after checking through her entire apartment, opening every door and closet, checking around every corner… Lola found nothing. With nothing better to do, she changed out of her wet clothing and started making herself dinner, chopping up vegetables because it felt just a little bit better to have a knife in her hand. 

One of the city’s radio stations had an evening segment where they played songs from local bands, and would sometimes even read poetry or writing from local authors, and so Lola turned it on, humming to herself as the music played. She hated silence, really, and wasn’t all that much of a fan of living alone. But her old roommate had moved away, and she hadn’t yet found a new one. 

The chicken broth on the stove bubbled merrily, and Lola dumped the vegetables in, still humming. Even though she was still on high alert, there was something about cooking that was just so relaxing, especially after a long day at work. 

Thump!

A large something thunked against her front door. Lola sighed and rolled her eyes. About time. Slowly, taser in hand, she crept towards the door. 

“Who’s there?” she called out, trying to instill a good amount of don’t-mess-with-me in her tone of voice. 

….was that a crow cawing back at her? 

There didn’t seem to be any movement on the other side of the door, so she gingerly reached for the handle.

Lola took a deep breath and thought to herself: Well, here goes nothing

She flung the door open- and a pair of crows flew into the room, cawing cacophonously. But her gaze was immediately pulled downwards... to the person lying curled in a heap on her doorstep. 

15