Chapter 10: A Morning Adventure
56 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Lola woke before her alarm. For a moment, she just laid there, staring up at the white ceiling. Birds were chirping loudly outside her window, the coo of a mourning dove piercing through the early-morning stillness. 

Lola didn’t know how long she laid there, breathing in and out slowly, but eventually she let out a sigh and rolled over onto her side, hand reaching for her phone lying on the nightstand. She fired off a quick text to Cato: Hey just making sure everything’s ok, how’s it going? 

Almost immediately, he responded. it’s… alright. things r pretty crazy over here, I think I’m gonna have to call off brunch today :(

Lola replied with another sad face in sympathy. That’s totally ok, I get it. There’s always next week, right? 

Cato responded with a thumbs-up and, thank u sm for all ur help last night! I really appreciate it. 

Lola typed, Of course! Let me know if you need anything else, I’m off work today so I’m free all day.

I think I’m alright for now, but thx for offering, Cato responded, and then, gtg, tell ur friend danae I said hi!

She set down her phone and swung herself out of bed, slipping her feet into her favorite cozy slippers. Spring in Shrikeport was great, but it sure got cold in the mornings. 

As she walked into the kitchen, she was immediately greeted by a squawking sound coming from outside the open window. It was, of course, Rova and Dulun, the two crows glaring at her from where they perched on the tree outside. Danae was standing next to them, and she looked over as Lola entered with a soft, “Good morning!”

“Good morning,” she replied, voice low and melodious as always. “I noticed you didn’t seem to like the crows in your apartment, so I asked Rova and Dulun to stay outside.” She had that uncertain lost-puppy sort of look in her eye again as she glanced at Lola. 

On the outside, Lola simply nodded, but on the inside she was breathing a sigh of indescribable relief. Thank goodness. “Thanks, Danae, that works perfectly.” 

She moved over to the cabinets, with the intent of finding something to make for breakfast- but then she paused, considering. “You know what? Cato and I usually get brunch today, but since that’s not happening… why don’t we go out for breakfast?”

Danae blinked, then nodded. “If you don’t mind me coming along, I’d love to.” 

-

Fifteen minutes later, Lola was dressed and ready to go by her front door. Danae was next to her, wearing the same clothes as yesterday, except with a gold belt instead of silver. Lola had the realization that she hadn’t yet seen Danae change into pajamas, or even sleep at all… she mentally shrugged to herself. Must be a spirit thing. 

Together, they took the elevator down to the bottom floor, riding in an easy silence. When they stepped outside, the fresh smell of petrichor was the first thing Lola noticed. The sun was out, and the birds were chirping even louder than they had been before, if that was even possible. The cacophony of the city washed over them: car horns, noisy conversations, the thumping sound of bass-boosted speakers playing loud music. With a slight smile curving across her face, Lola took in a deep breath. 

Danae was also looking around in curiosity, as if she was mentally cataloguing every piece of their surroundings. Rova and Dulun swooped down to them from their perch up on the nearby tree, cawing as they flew. Lola still had no idea how to tell them apart, so she had no clue which of the crows landed on Danae’s outstretched arm. After a moment, the other crow, which had been circling above, flew down to perch on Danae’s shoulder. 

Together, they began to walk down the sidewalk. When they got to the parking lot, Danae began to turn, but Lola put a hand out to stop her. Danae looked at her quizzically.

“The traffic in that part of town is gonna be pretty bad right now,” she explained, “so I usually like to take the subway.” Danae made an ‘mm’ sound of understanding and agreement. Side by side, they walked down the block towards the station. 

Although they were walking in silence, Lola marveled at how comfortable silence with Danae felt. Usually, she couldn’t stand being quiet, desperate to fill the space with any manner of conversation. If there was one thing Lola wasn’t a fan of, it was awkward silence. But this felt different. The uncomfortable itch that usually pushed her to start babbling words simply wasn’t there, and there was a mutual sort of peace in the space between them.

 It was probably because Danae was such a quiet person, Lola mused. With her, silence wasn’t the awkward lack of things to talk about, but rather a mutual space for introspection. 

By the time they got to the subway station, Lola’s stomach was beginning to rumble. She turned to Danae, who was still carrying her crows on her shoulder. Maybe at one point, she would have been surprised that no one had commented on the crows, or even seemed to notice them, but at this point she was used to it. People in the city were very good at ignoring or overlooking strange things. Everyone had their own problems, everyone had a busy life, so why bother poking your nose in other people’s business? 

In addition, she’d noticed that the more blatantly magical beings like Danae sometimes had this sort of… aura around them. Lola had a lot of practice looking past it, but for most people, their gazes slipped right past Danae like oil sliding across water. It wasn’t invisibility, but it was something.

The two of them stood side by side as they waited for the train, surrounded by the business of the crowded subway station, the dull furor of dozens of lives intersecting. Throughout it all, the signs of the Vers Ibrae were scattered, just barely noticeable: a pair of translucent ghosts passing through the crowd, a mage sigil graffitied in red spray paint on the bricks, a street musician whose eyes flashed silver as they glanced at Lola.  

Lola couldn’t help but smile to herself as she took it in. This right here was Shrikeport. This was her city. Even the unease that threaded through the air couldn’t quite tamp down the way it soothed her soul. 

All of a sudden, her introspection was interrupted by Danae tapping lightly on her arm. Lola glanced over. “What is it?”

Danae pointed at something behind Lola’s shoulder. “I think they want to talk to you.”

6