Chapter 35 – The Confront
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ran getting on the open field. The attention of every member of the military group immediately focused on me. My eyes quickly scanned everything as I approached.

One of the two soldiers that hadn't been hit seemed to be rooted in place, while the other one took out his pistol and aimed at me.

Robert didn't move raising a hand to hover over Julie as their shields pinged like metal. Turning white where bullets ricocheted.

I took another step closer. Moving my hand to the third pocket from the center, where the Boom pills that Swordjuice made to us were. They were made with an easy release function and with a click of a button, I had a pill in my hand. The gun aimed at me started shooting.

The shots started wide but with each step got more accurate. I didn't mind though as I barreled through them. Putting the pill in my mouth but leaving it there.

I knew the moment I bit into it the effect would start and if I did it now, then it would only be set off by bullets.

Robert was siphoning turquoise mist from Julie. I ignored the soldier shooting at me and made straight to the immobilized one.

He stood there with a face locked into concentration. His eyes widening in alarm seeing my approach, but not taking a step. And then I was upon him, feeling bullets impacting me around my torso and my head. It was a heavy pressure on the points but with no pain.

Buffed with LEDs power on top of my battle form I was faster and stronger than ever. Practically a dark blur. I put every bit of that into the punch I drove towards the guy.

I was seeing everything happen slowly, so I could see his face taking on a grimace.

The moment before my arm impacted I bit on the pill in my mouth. The effect of the Boom spreading around my body only to burst almost instantly as my hand made a dull gong noise impacting into a transparent surface.

Immediately though the explosion triggered. Sending both of us flying apart from each other. The sound of dings stopped. Being substituted with grunting.

I impacted the ground and rolled the energy away. Getting up again. The shield guy hit the ground and rolled as well showing his training, it seemed that everyone on this team could pull their weight, even if they fell behind the main family youngsters.

The shielder got up to a knee, shaking his head sharply and looking dizzily around. Before he could recuperate though LED ambushed him from behind. A hit with the grip of his pistol to the head and the guy was knockout out cold.

The other guy that was shotting me had been shot in turn, but he seemed fine as he run to touch the Neodym and the Tracker. The three of them running to stand with the Sulphals.

Led raised his gun again aiming at the group. Seeing the turquoise sheen over Roberts, LED just kept the aim steady.

I moved to the front of the house. The soldier that I thought was the healer touched Julie. Her grimace turning from one of pain into one of rage, as she took a bullet that was expelled from her gut into her palm.

The mist coming out of her turned from turquoise to red and Robert inhaled in the direction of the other people in his group. The Neodym making a dissatisfied expression. Green, red and yellowish-green coming from them towards Robert.

We stared at each other into a little standoff. no one was in a completely advantageous position. They had a way to deter our bullets with Robert, as we didn't know his effective range to bounce stuff back.

I rolled my shoulders deciding on what to do. It would be for the best to keep them on their back foot and I had a new power to test around. My mind moving fast I decided on the course of action. I took the slash pill and rushed the group again.

The bullets resumed hitting me and Julie raised her hand in my direction as well. Swinging her arms and creating waves of force that pushed me back. I bit into the pill the sharpness overtaking me helped me cut through. It was just air pressure after all. I still struggled to get across and I heard the house being buffeted with the attacks making me worry.

From the side Payback was hiding came a bullet towards Julie. Being intercepted by the mist. The turquoise mist was spread a little thinly, only covering the Sulphals and the Neodym. The two other soldiers wore concerned faces looking at LED completely exposed. I guess they hadn't opened fire to not get any back. That probably meant that the healer had a limit.

The bullet went back the way it came but nothing else happened. LED raised his gun towards Robert.

He shot. Immediately moving to the side. His enhance agility made him able to get out of the returning bullet's way. The window of opportunity was minuscule though. From Payback's side more bullets were shot as well, with their direction changing as he moved around hidden by the walls of debris.

As the mist run out Julie was forced to spend time sending waves of force to both sides. Making LED go back to take cover and destroying the debris Payback was hiding under. Robert not being useful anymore as a shield rushed me.

He had a combination of colors in his aura as he approached me like a released cannon ball. Hitting with force and at extreme velocity.

I slid back with him his hold on me holding tightly. We only came to a stop impacting the houses concrete staircase, that broke under the force. The house rumbled with the impact.

I Reacted quickly to not let his attention go to the ones hiding inside the house. I thrust both my arms at his ribs their sharp points thrusting into him skidding along the bones. He sputtered and jumped back with inhumanly velocity.

I felt the blood on my hands calling to me and left my matrix taste over the connection. The condition triggering of the tether power, and a stream of fractals formed a bridge between me and Robert.

And then I saw it; like a sun blooming in the horizon the matrix of his power revealed itself to me. For some reason it was different from any other that I had seen. Was it this big because we were closer from the tether power? That didn’t make sense as the tracker had used the same thing and his matrix seemed normal.

It didn't matter now in the end, though. Because like this I could pour over all the details of his power. He rushed back to his group and demanded healing. I looked over what was happening while that was going on.

LED and Payback were covered in injuries. Payback had come out of hiding it appeared. The both of them only still going thanks to LED's buffs that gave strength as well as a degree of resistance. The bullet wounds were still bleeding holes on their forms and they sported bruised cuts and perforations from Julies hits. LED with way less hits than Payback that had a giant collection of injuries in his massive frame.

Robert recharged in red green and yellowish green from the group. Maintaining his strength and velocity as well as the fire powers that he hadn't used against me still. He came barreling toward me again. Trusting Payback and LED to keep themselves alive, While I observed them I had absorbed a good portion of Robert's abilities.

I saw how the pieces that made different types of enhancement were similar to Swordjuice's and I could refine them on my matrix; hopefully amplifying the types of properties I could use to enhance myself, or were the possible effects that were enhanced?

He came to me punching again and I analyzed his powers further as we traded blows. Easily reacting when he tried getting my emotions again. Having learned how to manipulate emotions from his powers I took mine away dissipating them inside of me. We exchanged punches. He kept me struggling and on the defensive only hitting him when I opened myself to two or three counter strikes. He was clearly much more well trained than me.

I kept the new better matrix part that dealt with enhancements the fractals heavily packed and tried putting his power to use emotions on my matrix. Just like I used any type of energy in my enhancements.

It wouldn't happen though. The moment I activated the fractals the emotions weren't there anymore to be harvested. Just like I used the understanding of his powers to scramble my emotions so he couldn’t get them. it seemed the power did that automatically with my own emotions. That being a flaw of the power itself perhaps. I had never been able to copy such a deep part of the power matrix so maybe I was taking on whole systems. Or was it because his matrix was so weirdly big...

Even as I was pummeled in my weak attempts to fight back Julie didn't stop sending attacks in my direction. Sending even more in the times Robert retreated to recharge his powers.

We were in this stale mate, but when LED and Payback tried getting close to the other group, I imagined so Payback could drop them, I stopped suddenly Robert stopping as well as I heard ominous wood creaking noises coming from behind me.

I turned back quickly looking at the old house. The front of it had been thoroughly smashed and it was crumbling as it fell. The last pieces it had holding it up falling away.

Fuck.

Luckly inside the house it must've been just as bad as Spyglass and David went out of the house dragging Spotlight with them.

The house collapsed on itself. Spewing out a huge cloud of dust that quickly covered everything.

The visibility was completely impacted and I felt Robert starting to move through the tether. I quickly followed after him. Intercepting him before he could attack any of the most defenseless from our group. His buff was in a weak stage again and I could finally land more attacks on him. Whenever he went back to his group I took a slash or a slam pill. Now being reduced to three of each.

In the stalemate situation I couldn't use anymore of the boom ones as the guns or Julies attacks would set it off but, in the smoke, I took one, slamming an explosion in the cross-guard Robert had protecting his face, the concussive force spread nonetheless launching him away. He impacted the ground not moving to get up. An explosion to the head; always effective.

Two huge waves of force blew all the dust away, revealing that Payback had downed the healer. The limp form of the soldier with holes spewing blood. LED looking pristine. The ones that had been in the house now standing in the open.

The Neodym noticed David his eyes widening in recognition. David looked like a deer in the headlights as he became the center of attention. The Neodym soldier went into action immediately rushing towards the revealed revolutionaries.

I went to intercept the Neodym advancing on Spyglass and David while Payback tried to approach Julie shooting at her as a distraction all the while.

LED's injured form had managed to approach the Tracker with Payback distracting Julie. She kept sending attacks at Payback that dodged the most he could now as his powers were spent.

I cut the Neodyms way and he scoffed at me. I went for a slash with my palm. He opened his hand to grab my arm and I smiled. The invisible edge over it cutting into his hand.

He grunted. His face turning into one of rage, and he hovered his bleeding hand over me. I felt myself freezing from inside out.

It was like all the heat was sucked out of me. And my matrix spun identifying the power acting over me. Using the blood on my hands as well I created a Tether with him. The bridge connecting our matrixes together. His matrix was oddly big just like Roberts.

I toppled over. My whole body frozen, and he let me on the ground. Turning to address his team “The target is there. He should be our utmost concern.”

“My powers aren't the best for capture” Julie answered him as she tried to get a good hit on Payback. If she used the pointed flicks Payback would dodge and the bigger ones hadn't enough power, only throwing him back.

Spyglass stood in front of David. Her gun pointed in the direction of the opposing group. David cowering behind her. From my position on the ground I saw Spotlight body behind them both.

Stirring.

I got up. My matrix analyzing the power. The tether feeding to me that it forced the body to exchange heat with the environment. It’s a form of energy manipulation. I copied the systems he used my matrix now seeming more enlarged with the third power it was copying.

Even if not all full yet it seemed that I would need to coalesce the powers into better parts. Like I've been doing before. Refining a type of power with various examples. As it stood now, my matrix was feeling strained like a beast with a belly too full.

The problem wasn't immediate though, and I used the ability I just learned to undo the effects the Neodyms power had on me. My body healing as I got up.

He saw me standing up and approaching him again and tried to do use the same attack again. I smiled at him raising one of my eyebrows as nothing happened.

He frowned and I went for the punch. He jumped back and started fighting back trying to use his power in the other direction.

My temperature started raising but with such a close interaction my matrix quickly adapted. It was only the energy manipulation on the other direction. Forcing the body and the environment to interact as if there was a difference in temperature.

Manipulating the effect onto myself I was able to stop any attempts of him doing it. Slash's duration was over already so my punches only did the normal amount of damage, but that was plenty as he grunted every time I got a hit in.

“LED," I yelled. "Almost time for the show to close.” I continued fighting with the Neodym. Hoping that LED would get it.

I took a step back the Neodym eyeing me confusedly and cautiously. I used the opportunity to throw another pill in my mouth. Julie was snapping LED and Payback them with flicks that were much more focused. and it seemed LED's and Payback's bullets had run dry. LED had taken out the Tracker, who hadn't any enhancement going for him.

LED stopped. Looking at the group behind me seeing what I saw before as Spotlight seemed like he was going to wake up at any moment. We were slowly getting the upper hand but their shielder could awaken at any point and it didn't seem like any one of our group still had bullets.

The other group noticed the change in attitude, and I went for the fight again rolling the boom pill in my mouth preparing to bite onto it. I engaged again with the Neodym, as he tried to retreat, I went after him.

We exchanged a few punches. He focusing on defense and stepping forward. I saw I could hit him outside his guard and it would work just as fine. I bit in to the pill and hammered his shoulder. He exploded to the side and backwards. The explosion rocking his head with enough force that he fell already unconscious.

I stumbled backwards while healing the damage the explosion did. Now it was only the Sulphal Lady. Julie was a menace though, and she started sending bigger waves of force still, holding me back and keeping Payback and LED away.

We weren't even trying that hard anymore just trying to buy time. Robert finally got up shaking his head. He looked me over carefully and made a run for the group behind us. Spyglass with a look on terror on her face. She pulled the trigger of the gun only clicking sounds responding her.

I rushed them. Payback turning as well. LED tried to push forward but Julie send huge waves of force. Throwing LED into the smashed car. His head smashing against the metal frame. Denting it.

His form fell limp. A trace of red falling over the shining white ring in his forehead.

Another attack and Payback was slammed against the house's debris. And I was hit as well flying off course.

Robert got to the members and Spyglass tried fighting. She sent a punch with a sheen over her skin but him dodged to the side and sucked a green mist out of her and David. Getting incredibly quicker. I took a boom pill while I was still on the ground putting it in my mouth while getting up.

I started running and a huge wave of force again came in my direction, but I kicked the ground on my next step.

The boom went off. Catapulting me out of the way of the wave of force. Robert had kicked Spyglass away, inadvertently activating the Boom effect and sending everyone away form each other in the explosion. Robert recovered the quickest and moved to capture David taking hold of one of the boy's arm. I intercepted him before he could get away.

I took hold of his stopping him in his tracks as he was without his strength enhancement. With my hands on him I manipulated my matrix aligning all the fractals in the right order and started using the Neodyms powers. At that time, I noticed immediately it sucking the energy out of my transformation.

The energy source of powers! Mine used it to fuel my transformations. Copying other powers I could input it into the source but it would spend it, and very quickly it seemed.

It was done as a bluff though as Robert let go of David and jumped away. His left arm and part of his chest looking reddish and stiff.

He eyed me with a frown. His body shivering. “Fuck is that?” he said weakly.

Payback had approached Spyglass and touched her, with that taking all the damage she had suffered. She gasped as her abdomen healed.

David kneeled beside Spotlight. He was raising. His long hair had come loose in the confusion shadowing his face.

David helped him up a little, and I could see he looked pale, his eyes somewhat bloodshot. He looked around confusedly. And I turned to the two Suphals. Standing in front of him protectively.

In front of me was Julie eyeing the situation. On my right side was Robert not that distant. Julie's eyes narrowed.

Spotlight had come to and said in a weak joking voice. "Once more it falls to me to save the day. huh?"

Julie flicked at his direction way faster than she had in any other moment in the fight. And I made to guard him. The gouging spears of force hitting me and I urged my armor to protect me and stood my ground protecting the two behind me.

Payback went to my right side to stand in front of Robert. Robert rushed him. And Payback took a punch as he transferred the force of the kick from before towards Robert.

Robert staggered but it wasn't enough, and Robert was sucking mist out of the group. Confidence from Payback and fear from David making him fast again and bulging his form.

Payback delivered a Boom enhanced punch to the enlarged Robert. He staggered back a bit but brushed it off. Payback had another pill in his mouth swallowing it with the blood he coughed from the explosions backlash.

I was keeping a tight defense in front of spotlight and the light was visible from under my feet, Julie's aim was deadly and she hit every attack and some brushed very close to me. I kept a tight profile in front of Spotlight.

Robert hit Payback again, another explosion rocking them apart. Payback fell the injuries finally taking the best of him. Robert chuckled looking at the terrified David behind Spotlight helping him stand up.

A wave of soft light barely visible spread from behind me I smiled. It was done. It hit Robert first stopping the grasping hand coming towards the pair.

A frown and a determined look took hold in Julie's face as the wave expanded in her direction. My smile fell and I concentrated in defense again. She aimed. Her fingers flicked out. The light passed by her.

The two biggest waves of force she had used yet blurred my vision, both of them brushing me on the left. Gouging pieces of my armor as they passed.

One of them took a chunk of my cheek, the other one from my waist.

I saw her eyes looking around looking confused the tenseness of the fight leaving her body. Robert at our side doing the same scratching his head looking at his fallen comrades. They couldn't perceive us for now.

I relaxed turning around. A smile on my face. A successful first fight. against such heavy odds and I gained so much.

Then I saw it.

Spyglass muted shock and terror looking from where she sat on the ground. Spotlight draped over himself his head almost on the ground blood coming out of his eyes, with vomit on his shirt and in the ground in front of him. On his left side, the one who was holding him up.

The other person that I had forgot in the rush to protect Spotlight was slumped over as well. From the middle of their forehead blood almost black with chunks gushed out. and it was still spewing.

On his midsection a hole just as big. His dead eyes looked at the ground.

Julie's target hadn't been Spotlight, it was David all along.

0