Chapter 7: Dead leaves sway before they fall on the ground
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The days passed by, one after the other. Ara tailed the other guys for the past afternoons but most of them just went back home right after school. Except for that other day with Jules when Ara thought she might finally have something. In the end, he just walked to the same grocery store they were in before and then went home right after.

On Thursday at lunch, Lily and Ara gushed over how cute Reo was.

“He has to be the cutest out of the bunch. But then add the fact that he’s doing the bass, something that sounds so deep and sexy even though he’s so much younger, that is some contrast. He is definitely going to turn more heads than mine.” Lily noted with an approving nod.

“Now that I see his age, he’s so young for his year level.” Ara saw under his name that Reo was only fifteen years old.

“What do you mean?”

“He’s already in his last year of junior high here.” Due to Lily’s excitement, Ara realized she ended up telling her that Reo also went to their school and was just a year lower than them.

“I get an even stronger feeling now that the rest of the guys, Jules and Vince go here too, don’t they?”

“Yes.”

“It’s a BINGO, Ara. I wished they’d have a concert soon already.”

“I think they’ll do a very good job of that.” Ara went to more of their practices, sometimes taking more photos and sometimes just because Clarissa asked her to look over them. Other times it was because Reo or Dominic asked her to listen in and give an untrained ear’s perspective. Every single time, Ara found it impressive how dedicated they were. It was hard to imagine she was even around the same age as them.

“Hey you’re Ara, right?” A voice surprised both girls. It was Ram. “Give this to Clarissa later, will you?” Ram handed her an envelope with what must be a letter inside.

“Why’d you ask someone else to do that? Why don’t you do it yourself?” Lily was upset that her friend was being treated so rudely by a student who barely even went to school. Even if it was Ram. Maybe most especially because it was him.

“You’re not Ara, I’m not asking you to do anything.”

“Yeah I’m not, but that’s not her letter either. Why should she do anything?”

Ara didn’t like where this was going.

“Lily, it’s okay, I can handle something like this. I live with Clarissa after all.”

“Please don’t be so nice to someone like him, Ara.”

“Thanks, then.” Ram handed her the letter and went away.

“How could someone be so horribly mannered like that? Didn’t his parents teach him any better?”

“It’s really fine, Lily. It’s just giving a letter.”

“Goodness, that’s not what I’m mad about.” Now Lily was exasperated at the both of them. “I’m okay with people asking for favors, but it’s just his attitude. Would it kill him to be a little nicer?”

Ara’s phone vibrated and she opened it to see that it was a message from Kim.

The accounts are up now, I’ll be posting your photos soon.

Ara felt the slightest tingle in her heart. Lily would be delighted to hear about this.

“Lily, look.” She showed Ara the message. “It’s IG accounts.”

“Your photos? They’re really having the first photos, your photos?” Her mood has turned around, thank goodness. Ara nodded. “Congratulations, you! I’m so happy for you. I’ll buy you a cake later.” Lily smothered her in a hug.

“It’s fine, Lily, you don’t have to.”

“But this a big moment for you. Or maybe you want something else in mind?”

“No, there’s nothing I want.”

“But I want to celebrate it.” Lily’s voice sounded sadder.

“I know what we can do. Let’s eat that ice cream you’ve always wanted to try. I saw a little shop that sells them on the way to the train station.”

“I want that, let’s definitely go.”

After classes ended, Lily immediately told her driver about her plans first and once he drove off, they walked along the street that Ara has mostly walked on alone during afternoons. The sceneries that has often taken the spotlight seemed like a blur with Lily beside her.

“I can’t believe Jules actually looks so good. Their reveal photo of him should never see the light of day again. Actually no, it could be that you’re just some sort of magician photographer and you managed to make even someone like Jules look that good.”

“No, I think Jules is very handsome in person.”

Lily raised an eyebrow at that. “Do you like him?”

“Yes, I like him and everyone too. They’re all very nice, even if they’re a little scary sometimes when they fight with each other.”

Lily sighed. “Of course, everyone’s very nice for you. Even that devil-spawn Ram.”

They entered the shop and looked for where the ice creams were.

“Maybe he’s just too passionate? He always looks like a different person when he’s playing music.” Ara mused as they looked at the assortment. She had a look in her eyes that Lily was not used to seeing.

“I guess I want to see him on stage.” Lily said.

“You’d enjoy it a lot. He’s very cool, I think.” Ara guaranteed.

They ate their cold midafternoon snacks and talked about anything and everything.

Somehow, it feels nice to have someone to talk with like this.

You don’t seem to know, but I’m so grateful to have you as my friend.

 

***

 

It was Friday night when Ara thought that she finally had some luck with her mission. Clarissa texted her they weren’t practicing that day and that Dominic offered to take care of dinner. Thus, once classes were over, Ara hurried home to change clothes and now waited in the lobby. She hoped one of them had some plan to go out soon.

She patiently sat on one of the couches with her camera nestled safely in her lap when her phone rang and she saw a call from Dominic.

“Ara, where are you? We’re all here for dinner now.”

Oh.

“I’ll be up soon. Bye.” She hung up and walked to the elevators. Maybe she’ll have to wait after dinner.

She entered their apartment once again and found everyone inside. Even Kim has dropped by, though Clarissa was out. She looked very homey and comfortable in her usual style of an oversized hoodie whenever she only stayed inside. She put a finger over her mouth as if asking if her mission still stayed a secret. Ara guiltily shook her head as she remembered that time with Reo and Vince.

“That’s fine.” Kim said.

“What’s fine?” Dominic asked.

“Nothing’s fine.” Ara caught herself. “Nothing, it’s fine.” She was not very believable, but he didn’t press any further. Reo and Vince were on table duty and had finished setting up the table. It seemed Dominic had ordered out some fast food for tonight.

So this was what taking care of dinner meant.

“Are you staying for dinner too, Kim?” Vince asked.

“Don’t mind me, I’m not hungry.”

“There’s more than enough for everyone anyway, join us.” Reo invited her and set up an extra plate for her. Ara thought that they bought too many plates and silverware before, but now realized that it was good to have extras for guests after all.

After they all ate, the others went back into their room except for Reo and Vince who washed the dishes, and Dominic who hung out at the sofa.

“Aren’t you going back?” Ara asked him.

“Nah, it’s much better being here than with those disagreeable children.”

“Jules and Ram, huh?” Kim said, agreeingly.

“I’m going out a bit later anyway, so I’m just gonna stay here for the meantime.” Dominic smiled at Ara. “Can I?”

“Of course, please go ahead.” Ara said and went to her room. She got a message right after.

He said he’s going out, you should tail him. Kim has texted. She was right, Ara nearly forgot even though she’s been waiting for some chance even just earlier. She bit on a loose skin on her lip and replied.

I understand. I’ll go to the lobby now. Ara pressed send and grabbed a jacket from her cabinet.

“I’m buying a drink from the convenience store.” She told Dominic and Kim once she was out. “Do you need anything?”

“No thanks.” Kim secretly put her two fists together as a cheer for her.

“I’m fine too, thanks.” Dominic said without looking up from his phone.

She headed down and sat in the same couch that was a little away from the rest and waited patiently for Dominic in the lobby.

Okay, he’s heading out now. Kim messaged her after a while. Ara made her way out of the lobby and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Thank you. She replied and not too long, Dominic exited the building as well.

As she walked in his shadow, the passing cars made her realize that she didn’t know what she would do if Dominic ended up riding on something.

Thankfully, he didn’t but that didn’t mean she was clear from trouble as his pace presented another matter entirely. She struggled to keep up with him without breaking into a run. There was no such time for sightseeing the city at night.

Soon, Dominic entered inside a building. She followed him but was only able to come as far as the inner entrance before she was blocked by a security.

“ID?” She peeked over his arm to find where Dominic was but the glass door a little behind him was frosted and unclear.

“I didn’t bring one.” The tall, big guard looked her over scrutinizingly. The door suddenly opened then and Dominic came out.

“Ara? What are you doing here?” He was surprised. “Sorry about that, this girl must have followed me.” Dominic told the guard and led Ara out of the dark building and out into the airy outside.

“Well?” Dominic started, his hands were in his pockets. For some reason, Ara felt as though he was an warm as she frequently saw him as. He seemed struggling to be his usual chatty self, but Ara wondered if it may just be her imagination.

“Well…” Ara started, a little out of breath. She coughed a little as her lungs struggled to fill with air. “I was following you, I have a mission to follow you guys and maybe take photos of the things and places that you see in your daily life.”

Dominic gave a stifled laugh.

“I’m sorry I stalked you.” Ara glanced back at the establishment they exited and realized that it was some sort of adult-only place for drinking. “Oh, it’s a bar.”

“That’s right, you just walked into a bar. You’re still underage right?”

“But you’re still in high school too.” Ara countered.

“Yeah, but I’m already 18. I’m legal, and you’re not.” He was a bit more playful now. It was a more familiar sight.

“I’m turning 18 soon.”

“Sure, sure. Come visit me in that bar then when you are.” Dominic started to walk away from the direction of the building.

“Aren’t you going back there?”

“Now that I’ve been found out, I don’t feel like it anymore.”

Ara walked after him. They went into a nearby convenience store instead and Dominic bought them some cold drinks.

“Here you go, now it’ll be as if you never lied about why you went out.” He said as he handed Ara a milk carton.

“Thank you very much.” Ara smiled and accepted it gratefully. They both sat down at some window seats that overlooked the scene outside.

“That’s right, children under the legal age should just drink their milk.” Dominic bought himself a can of low-alcohol content beer. “Thanks for saving me back there.” He said after a while.

Ara turned at him and was confused. He thanked her for stalking him?

“It would have turned out to be another wasted Friday night for me.”

“I don’t really get it, but if you mean I saved you from getting a hangover tomorrow, you’re welcome I guess.” She set down her finished milk. “Why do you go there if you don’t like to?”

Her frankness bought him out of the stupor he has been in. It was a simple question, but it wasn’t an easy one to answer.

“To forget, escape, you know, the same old usual weak things people do just because.”

“I see, you have things you want to forget.” She left it at that and didn’t ask more.

It stumped Dominic. At that point, usually, the women he met in those bars pressed him for more details. Their smiling seductive smiles were hungry for men they found attractive. Their whispers cooed men in order to console and hold them for the night so that they did the same to these women.

To every single one, he made up some tragic backstory for himself. Something that made him seem like he had the right to be sad too, like everybody else. On his part, he craved for their womanly touch, something that may have been caused from losing his mother so young, too early.

“I wonder if Kim would approve of posting images of you in a bar.” Ara looked outside, her eyes were taken by the streetlights outside. He shook his head.

“I don’t think so. Kim would probably like for something more kid-friendly. Not that I’m being full of myself, but usually boy bands have a younger female following, right? It’s probably best not to set up at that kind of place.”

“I guess you’re right. But it sort of suits you, I think. At least, this other, more normal side of you that’s not like a puppy.” Ara has realized from this night that Dominic was not always the warm, smiley guy he usually was. She wasn’t sure yet if that part of him was fully just an act, but she didn’t mind this kind of Dominic.

“A puppy?”

“Yes, that’s right. The kind of puppy that is very friendly and jumps on everyone.”

“That sounds awful.” Dominic hadn’t aimed to be that much.

“It’s not a bad thing. I think it’s amazing you can get along with so many people. But at the same time, this brooding you now is not bad as well.”

“Now I’m brooding?”

“Yes. You seem very much like a brooding adult with a can of beer right now as well.” Ara has spent too much of her time looking over photos and taking some herself that she memorized a lot of the tropes when it came to photos.

Happiness and bright places went well and the model would smile to fit in the photo’s theme. Melancholy and dark places such as a bar with an alcoholic drink or two asked that the model show sexual appeal, or be sad and distressed, or brood and think deeply of some bitter past.

“I’m not following at all, but suit yourself with that.”

They walked home, and this time Dominic’s pace was not as breakneck as before. Since Dominic crossed out the bar as his location, they brainstormed about different places.

“I still think that that would be perfect for you, and then one other happier place where you can smile as much as you want.” Ara nodded at her idea.

“Yeah, that’s not happening.”

They continued to talk into the night where the moon waned and it would have been dark had the street lights not guided them home.

 

***

 

Ara woke up early the next morning.

Right away, she was worried about Ram. She walked back and forth across her room as she thought about the matter. The mission just seemed impossible to do with him. However, she can’t just give up either. She took a quick bath, dressed up, put the camera’s strap around her neck and went outside. She took a deep breath and rang the doorbell on the room next door. It was Jules who opened the door.

“Is Ram here?” She asked as Jules yawned. He looked like he just woke up. “Sorry about waking you up.”

“Nah, I was already awake. I guess you should come in. Ram’s here, I think.” He stepped to the side to let her in.

It’s been a while since the last time she was here but she didn’t expect to see it so different. It was a state of chaos in some places and clean in other parts.

“I’ll call him, you can sit wherever you want.” He told her, but there was really no place to sit on. The couches comfortably held their instruments.

“I’m fine standing, thank you very much.” Jules went back to what must be their bedroom.

Ara heard the door on her left side open and Ram exited with just a towel around his waist.

“Ram, I don’t think I can stalk you around without either losing you or getting found out right away. If you’re going out today, can I follow you? You don’t have to pay any attention to me, actually just pretend like I don’t exist.” She walked towards Ram. He instantly stepped back.

“Huh?” He pressed against what Ara now knew as apparently the bathroom door.

“I promise I won’t get in your way.”

“Get away from me, woman.” He ran to the side and held onto the towel on his waist dearly. His cheeks were deeply red and hot. Jules has come out from the bedroom.

“Oh, you were talking a bath, huh. I’m gonna go back to sleep, then.” Jules lazily said and went back the way he came. Ram ran after him and they both disappeared into the bedroom.

“I guess that was a no.” Ara sighed and let herself out.

She walked back and forth the hallway as she scratched her brain for ideas. She ended up on the far end of the floor, looking out at the window by the elevator doors. It was rather nice and sunny outside today too. She has started to formulate the beginnings of a message to send to Kim when a voice called out to her.

“Hey, you.” She turned and found Ram. “What were you talking about?” Now that he was properly dressed and wasn’t so embarrassed, he was back to his icy self.

Ara began to explain once more about what her mission from Kim was. Ram listened intently that surprised Ara but she appreciated it at the same time.

“Is it really something necessary for a band to do that much?” Ram questioned.

Ara has noticed before too, when Jules was able to shut him up that first practice she took photos of them. That when it came to things concerning the betterment of the band, he was a lot less irritable and accepted others’ words more easily.

“I don’t really know much about that side of things, but a lot of people appreciate photographs. I’m not really familiar with music much, but I always appreciated the pictures of other bands that my friend showed me. They told me a lot about their style.” Ara said after giving it much thought.

“That loud and empty friend of yours?” Ram judged harshly. Ara furrowed her brows.

“She’s loud yes, but she’s not empty.” She shook her head and smiled again.

“That stupid smile there, it irritates me to no end. Why are you always smiling like that? Are you some sort of idiot?” He was angrier.

“Sorry about that.” Ara erased her smile. It aggravated him how easily she followed orders, but her neutral face now was at least slightly less irritating.

“It’s not like I’m going somewhere special anyway, so I doubt you’ll find anything worth taking a photo of.” He pressed the button for going down.

Did that mean Ram accepted her request? Ara moved away from the window.

“I promise I’ll be at least three meters away.”

“You don’t have to go that far, you’ll just make yourself look suspicious.”

“A meter then?”

“Ah, I don’t know anymore. Suit yourself.”

They rode the elevator down in silence and Ara followed him down a familiar path to the train station. Ram sat on one of the seats inside the train while Ara took her usual spot by the door. They went a lot further than the stop near the school, and then rode a bus.

Ara kept her promise and stayed at least one meter away from him, even as people sat in between them, left and was replaced by others in the long seat at the farthest end of the bus.

Ram kept his eyes closed and had his earphones in for most of the ride.

 

Once they stepped down, Ara realized that she recognized the place a lot. They were in an area that was very near where her family used to live in. She knew the playground they passed by in as well. If she recalled correctly, there was a nearby church.

They walked further down the playground and came to an old building. There were a lot of children running around. A name plate on the building said that it was an orphanage. A middle-aged woman from the reception desk rose up to greet them.

“I’ll be outside.” Ara excused herself and went outside.

“Ram, you’re here very early again.” She heard as the woman welcomed Ram.

“Hey, who are you?” One of the children noticed her and immediately all the others flocked around her. They pointed at her camera and asked them to take photos of them. She obliged and showed them afterwards, each time.

She wondered about why Ram would go to an orphanage but did not want to jump into any conclusions, so she focused herself on taking portraits of the children.

It wasn’t difficult to get distracted as the children proved to be an endless source of information as subjects. A lot gave her big easy smile, while others were a little cockier. A few ones were shy and looked away from the lens. Despite all these, Ara detected a tinge of sadness that was just barely out of range.

“Hey, you.” Ram called out to her over an hour later. She turned around to see him pushing a man in a wheelchair.

“Ram, that’s no way to treat a lady.” The man in the wheelchair scolded him. He seemed to have a bit of trouble talking.

Ara has never seen anyone scold Ram. Even Clarissa never directly addressed Ram like that. She remembered their only interactions were if it was purely business.

“Sorry about this brat, and nice to meet you.” The man extended out his arm and Ara shook his shaking hand.

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you.”

“I’m Fred, this unfortunately rude child’s father.” He told her and Ara’s eyes popped from disbelief. The man was so young, surely not even ten years older than them.

“You’re not my father.” Ram opposed.

“I’m Ara, it’s very nice to meet Ram’s father.” She believed Fred nonetheless. He laughed at her, and she found him to have an easy laugh.

“I was kidding, I’m not technically Ram’s father, but I might as well be since I raised the kid.” He explained. “Do you mind going on a walk with us? Although it’s only Ram who actually walks.” He winked at Ram and Ram responded with a sudden push of the wheelchair.

“You’re saying so many useless things.” Ram slowed down and Fred laughed. Ara easily caught up with them.

They walked along the same sidewalk on the way to the orphanage under the shade of the trees. The fallen leaves on the ground crunched every time the wheelchair rolled over them. No one played at the sunlit playground at this time of day.

Ara’s mind started to wander about the possibilities of a playground-themed shoot for Ram. For some reason, the places she’s found for each of the members were always so different from their personalities that the contrast might just make it work.

A childish, nostalgic location for a passionately-driven sometimes dangerous Ram. She mentally nodded at the idea.

“Miss photographer, Ara, did you know that Ram used to wet his bed well until he was 13?” Fred looked back at her. “Also, why are you way back over there? Come closer.”

“You don’t need to tell her that. Cut it out.” Ram’s voice was panicked. It was even higher than this morning.

“Wow, that’s a pretty big age to still be doing that.” Ara said.

The two stopped suddenly and Ram’s eyes seemed murderous.

“Oh, but I think I’ve heard lots of people still do at that age too, and even older.” Ara raised her hands defensively in front of her. Fred laughed out loud at her.

“They don’t, but thanks for trying to comfort this guy anyway.”

“You should just shup up, Fred.”

“I was. For a while after the stroke, I couldn’t speak. You know that, Ram.” Fred casually said but Ram was only silent.

They continued walking in silence.

“Hey Ram, I actually have to tell you something.” Fred started after a while. “I’m going back to my family in the provinces. Now that I’m pretty much done in because of that stroke, there’s nothing left for me to do here. No one’s gonna hire a pianist who can no longer play.”

Ram abruptly stopped walking. Ara nearly bumped into them. She has unconsciously continued to follow her self-imposed one meter distance rule, although she could still clearly hear what they talked about.

“Are you really giving up?” Ram’s hands gripped the handles of the wheelchair so badly that they trembled.

“Look at my hands Ram, they’re shaking so much.” Fred raised one arm, the same one Ara shook hands with earlier. “Besides, I’m not really giving up. I’m still counting on you to live out the dream for the two of us. And don’t worry about me, I’ll still try to play.”

Ram kept silent. Ara didn’t want to intrude on them, but she felt that any sudden movements on her part would only draw more attention to herself.

“People at the hospital said that playing the piano’s a good rehabilitation activity. Who knows, maybe someday I might be able to play as well as I did too. Then, we can play together again.”

“When are you leaving?”

“It’s more going home, you know. But yeah, it’s three days from now.”

“You purposely made it a weekday.”

“I told you that you shouldn’t be cutting classes, so you don’t have to see me off.” Fred raised an unsteady hand towards Ram’s face but Ram turned away.

“I mostly attend afternoon classes at least, it’s hard to wake up early in the mornings.” He said although Ara recalled just how early he rose this morning.

“That’s not good, Ram.”

“I can see you off for your flight.”

“It’s in the afternoon, so you have to wake up early if you want to see me. And I’d rather you woke up early for class that day.” He told Ram authoritatively.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Hey miss photographer Ara, can you take a photo of us?” Fred addressed Ara.

Fred tried to turn himself around on his own and found Ara with tears of her own.

“Look what you’ve done Ram, you’ve made your friend cry.” Fred laughed, but his easy laugh now sounded heartbreaking. “I need your help, Ara. I want to at least have a photo with this brat before I go, can you do that for me?”

Ara could not find her voice so she nodded instead.

“Is this place good enough? Maybe don’t include the leaves since they look messy.” Fred looked disdainfully at the trees whose leaves continued to fall. “Ram, turn around now and face the camera.” Ram raised his face and Ara guessed he was willing the tears back. When he turned around, his eyes were so cold that Ara had goosebumps.

Ara raised the camera to her eye and through it, the leaves looked like the tears of the trees for the two men who seemed more like family than anything Ara has ever seen before. Fred smiled but Ram kept the same cold expression as Ara pressed the shutter.

 

 

0