Chapter Forty-six : A wish from the heart
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first ray of the twilight announced the start of the new day. The stillness controlled the majority of alleys and small paths, as if the events of yesterday were a trifling meager dream, waned from the memories. Or like a tiny leaf fell down in the riverside and got washed away by a strong current, farther and farther into the unknown. 

Though, there was something strange, subtle… lingering in the air.

This undetermined feeling made Savannah stop, arbitrarily from her rush and try to unfold this vague, fuzzy feeling that overwhelmed her And enclosed the air around her surroundings. 

She couldn't understand what was happening neither she could decipher her peculiar perceptions. 

She progressed ahead at a slow pace, All warned and ready. While sucking her canines and waving with her claws in the air. 

What could be this strange thing that she couldn't explain or understand? 

It was like an unlocked cage, invaded by the wind. Then danced as if no one was looking. 

The light that fled the sunrise clashed into her dark skin and reflected in her eyes. So her vision was obstructed for a moment. Still, her ears picked up the distant sound of drums. 

She wondered… 

From where, and who is it? 

She raised her head to the sky, then she opened her eyes toward the horizon, following the direction of the sound. 

It got closer and closer. 

A small black dot in the sky approaching, little by little. Its size grew bit by bit. And the sound of the drum became louder and louder. 

She couldn't catch any distinct scent because the course of the wind was against her, thus she depended solely on her sight and her hearing. 

This sound of drums, she recognized it. She had heard it before, but her mind refused to admit it. It was illogical. Until she witnessed that flying carriage. The Hippogriff drawn carriage. 

She didn't understand or believe her eyes. She blinked once, twice, thrice, attempting to free her vision from what she thought an illusion. Yet the Hippogriff drawn carriage still there, suspended in the air, between the heaven and the earth.  

For Savannah, The Hippogriff drawn carriage only meant one thing, she whispered in shock: "what's going on?". She blinked again, and finally admitted:" The barrier must have been collapsed.", Then she looked down at the roads and alleys, and checked the windows and doors, searching  for the residents, to see their curious faces and hear their fearful whispers, expecting them to go out of their houses, alerted by the sound of the drums. But, to her second surprise, while surveying from the roofs, she only detected bodies of the ones who seemed in a state of deep sleep. At that moment, her priorities have shifted, and she quickly changed her destination to where she thought the Hippogriff carriage will land.    

The tempo of drumming slowed down, then softened, once the Hippogriff carriage getting closer to the central yard of the main house. Everybody who was not affected by the induced state of sleep, outdoor or indoor heard the dim sound when the carriage parked on the ground. 

Those who didn't know the rider's identity rushed to the site to check what is it. The majority were workers under Seaben commands. While those who were familiar with this drumming rhythm, the deep brown colored four Hippogriffs and finally the odd embossed sigil on the roof as well as on the doors of the carriage have a conflicting reaction. 

The first one who has arrived at the site was the crimson lord himself. The whooshing vacuum-like sound he left behind, rendered the workers whom he had overrun in second deaf and stupefied. He stopped at the entrance of the yard, leaving a certain distance between himself and whoever was within the carriage. Based on his nightwear as well as his bare foot, he seemed that he was getting ready for a rest. Yet, he got arbitrarily interrupted at the last moment.

Kanari rushed to her mother's room, her guise was curious more than being worried. She witnessed her mother opening the balcony doors. Without waiting, she blurted: "Ma! What lord Shiva carriage doing here, down in the yard.".  Her rip-roaring voice contained something of excitement and surprise. Though, she swallowed her breath along with her other inquiries as soon as she upheld the grim, barren cloud that veiled her mother's visage when she turned to face her. 

The butler didn't waste a moment. After he heard the drum’s timbre, a chill of horror climbed under his stiffened skin, like a thousand ants swarming a green tree. He dashed to his office room, transforming it into a mountain of disarray while searching high and low for his important items. 

In the music room, Nicolai was enjoying a session of a tea. Sipping it sluggishly, bit by bit, in a calm cyclic motion. His eyes were lost in the void as if he didn't hear anything. When the noisy rhythm of the drum ceased, he leisurely stood up and walked toward the half-opened curtains to still a few picks. By the time the door of the carriage unfastened, Nicolai’s gaze reflected a profound sentiment of satisfaction.

A small part of wand appeared under the opened door, followed by a skinny bare leg descending the rung of the carriage. Then, followed, a long robe covered not just the bare leg, but also the earth beneath.

From over the balcony in left, lady Akila remarked: "A big misunderstanding is going to happen now, what are you going to do to prevent it." She was looking at the ferocious expression that carved the Count’s face while her words were directed to her daughter Kanari.

Kanari used the balcony siding to support her weight on her arms, then she moved her body in rotational motion to jump outside and amount to the yard. Her black and Delft blue clothes unfurled in air like Ceropegia flower. Her sudden arrival at the event square stopped the crimson lord from making his move. However, he straightened himself and demanded: "What’s going on?, what’s the meaning of this?"

"Please calm down my lord, this is our associates. I humbly apologize, I know, this is not what we have agreed on..."

Kanari noticed that the Count wasn’t concentrating on her or on her apology. She chased after the object of his interests to find it behind her. The short dwarf who trapped in his own long robe and fall. The display of him struggling to walk again on his feet was extremely pitying. She felt as if she was hit by the remains of dogs. She looked at the Count, and she  saw him making a face of "So, this is the rumored mighty lord Shiva!"

Nevertheless, she hurried and helped Lord Shiva to stand on his feet. 

The worker who has joined the yard stood behind the crimson lord and waited on burning coal to see the face of this unknown guest. Because they were all afraid to approach.

"Prepare a room for our guests." The Count ordered the servants who were with him then retreated inward without further inquiry. He wanted to conceal his shock as quickly as possible. 

Yes, inside his heart, he was profoundly shocked. The arrival of this dwarf has one and only explanation "the barrier had collapsed." 

That’s right, the deal he had made with Seaben was ended when he had signed the contract with the Crocotta. But, Francis has thought that there is no way Seaben will lose the control over the source of the barrier this fast, faster than he had calculated. Didn't that greedy bastard made a plenty of slavery contract that will temporarily replenish his power? Or maybe that vilified short dwarf is quite the deal. 

Francis thought that Even if he was protected by the contract, he mustn’t slake off, he need to start preparing for his departure right away. Who knows what those pairs of mother and daughter are hiding.

    Francis glanced at the balcony where lady Akila was before the darkness of the house swallowed him.

The few remaining workers were preparing a room for the new guest. And since the Count wasn’t the lord of the house anymore, he needed to rely on himself to get ready. The first thing he thought of was his office and all the important papers. Through his super speed, he crossed half of the distance to his office in one second, he just stopped to look at his ex butler who was also in a hurry to flee

 And finally, One last look at this greedy creature whom he never liked for a personal preference. Francis' eyes were filled with despise. He walked away while he wished in his heart for his ex butler quick a downfall.  

"I doubt that vilified dwarf that you fear so much can slaughter you, but I hope that the Crocotta will do so."

1