Chapter 20 C, part 2.
1.6k 8 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20 C, part 2.

 

       Arm in arm, we headed through the college. With Milly following behind us, the surreptitious glances of the students followed us to the eastern entrance to the mage tower. Down the steps of the college, waiting on the cobblestone that surrounded the base of the college tower, were a half dozen rickshaws and about the same number of carriages. Waiting patiently by the side door of one was Timmothy. He was finally dressed in a complete black Butler suit, and his aged elven face lent itself to an air of regal formality. 

 

       Four centaurs pulled the carriage, their upper halves covered in nice-looking workwear. Two males and two females pulled the 4.5-meter-long carriage body, while the whole thing was over 6 meters in length. Black lacquered wood out-lined tinted crystal windows obscuring the inside. Silver lanterns hung from the front and rear and finally made folding metal steps led to the side door. It was closer to a limousine than a carriage, although the 2-meter-high wagon wheels did dispel the illusion some. 

 

       “Good afternoon, Exalted Lord Grayson and Exalted Lady Wintershore.” Timmothy said with a formal bow. 

 

       “Very good Timmothy right on time just as I like. Are we ready then?”

 

       “Yes master, it should take three quarters of an hour to reach the first house.” Timmothy said while he opened the door to the carriage. 

       

       Holding Ashley’s hand, I let her climb in and followed. The rear and front of the cabin had plush black leather seating. The floor was lined not in a carpet but some kind of black and gold fur. It was surprisingly soft. Alma and Iolanthe were kneeling on the floor as I got in. Iolanthe’s two soft lilac tails spilled around her knees, making her look like she was sitting on a purple cloud. Almas’s sheer white halter dress hung just above her knees and matched Iolanthe’s. 

 

       Taking my spot at the rear of the carriage, Ashley passed Milly’s gold leash over to me, letting her settle in next to me. Eyeing me for approval, Ashley cast a glance at the two kitsune. They had stayed as serine-looking as possible. I nodded to her. 

 

       “Alma, Iolanthe come and sit with me.” Ashely said in a soft, soothing voice. 

 

       “Yes, Mistress Ashley.” They answered together after looking at me and receiving a nod as well. 

 

       The two crawled seductively to Ashley before placing themselves on each side of her, draping their arms over her shoulders and settling their heads on each side of her, in the crook of her neck. Ashley held each of their proffered hands in her lap, stroking them lightly. 

 

       Timmothy climbed onto the back of the carriage, and with a slight jerk, we were moving. The ride was smooth, and the cobblestone of the tower sent barely any vibrations into the body of the transport. 

 

       “So, what do you know about the houses in the noble district?” I asked. Looking out the window, I was amazed by the clarity of the windows, and it was hard to remember no one could see inside. 

 

        “My father the Duke has one of the estates here in the capitol though I have only been a few times. The area is massive as each of the estates sits on exactly 10 acres (0.045 square kilometers) of land. The manors and grounds are another way for the nobles to display their wealth and compete with each other.” Ashley said. 

 

       “That’s a lot of land. How many are there?” 

 

       “Oh, I have no idea. But my guess would be thousands. As the two classes of nobles, the exalted mages and common nobility can both own them.” Ashley said between her petting of Alma and Iolanthe.

 

       “How much does something like that cost Mistress Ashley?” Milly asked, transfixed by the buildings passing and the menagerie of peoples on the college east high street. 

 

       “That all depends, the standard tax on all the plots of land is one mithril coin a year. That gives you the right to build and use the land. Don’t pay the tax, and the empire takes everything regardless of improvements.”

 

       “So then after the taxes it is just based on what is built?” I asked as I leaned over and laid my legs over Milly’s lap. 

 

       “Yes. Most will have manors built, slave houses and gardens. Some grow herbs and even magical trees. Animals are generally frowned upon unless they are rare or specialty kinds. No common cows or pigs, Ack forbid.” Ashley answered as we moved through the outer college wall gate and into the noble’s district.

 

       The change was gradual, but the area around the wall was filled with small shops and taverns. Temples of the Goddess Sippsie were commonly placed. Two and three store stone buildings with colorful stone and banners flapping in the wind. Priestesses tended to parishioners in the front of the buildings, serving ales and food. They Danced on stages or tables for the display and pleasure of all. The clothes they did wear hid little and elicited much. Both men and women kissed the Priestesses or had them on their laps.

 

       “Are Sippsie’s Priestesses slaves?” 

 

       “By the goddess no, most are common citizens or nobles. The Slaves of Roxclou tend to the slave duties for the other temples, but they are forbidden to take coin for the goddess.” Ashley said wanly. “I thought I would be a priestess when I was younger, honoring the goddess with my body…But Father, and then college…And now you…I am glad I met you, it is better this way. I’m still jealous Rachel got to spend two years with her mother at a temple though.”

 

       “What? Her mother is a Sippsie priestess?” I asked, watching the ornate gates and sculpted trees and bushes pass by. 

 

       “Yes, a high priestess in fact. The Duke fathered her while making a donation to the high priestess in the Dimond city. All children born in such a way are given full family rights. Her father raised her, then when she was old enough, she went to her mother until we came to the college.” 

 

       “So are the temples brothels?”

 

       “Brothel what is that?”

 

       “A place where people trade sex for money? Like a restaurant, but instead of food its sex.”

 

       “Well yes then, the Holy Sippsie temple’s, are brothels I suppose. You donate coin to the goddess, and the holy fluids of God Ack, which the priestess collect and consume for the goddess.” Ashley said, thinking seriously.

 

       “Well, Holy brothels, okay then.” I thought, ‘Looks like Rachel might have had a more interesting past then her bookish appearance lets on….’ 

 

       The carriage followed the main thoroughfares of the noble district, streets designed to have two wagons travel on each side of the road. Side roads ran deeper into the plots of land. Fences of rod iron with great decorative gates lined the street. While others were made of wood, some finely polished, others in clear states of disrepair.

 

       Traveling along east college high street, we approached the far eastern gate to the city. Turning south along east out wall road another twenty minutes past before the carriage turned into the ruins of a once-great estate. The gates hung limply with a chain holding them closed. Waiting in front of the gates was a rickshaw, an older man, and a young slave attendant. 

 

        Speaking to Timmothy, the slave girl opened the gate. A potted and unkempt road led us deeper into the grounds. Weeds and overhanging trees marred our path. In the center of the grounds, we looped in front of the half-burned-out husk of a mansion. The circle courtyard fountain was green with stagnant water, and the gravel was grown over with clumps of grass.

 

       Stepping from the carriage, I lent a hand to Ashely, “Is this the first one Timmothy?” I asked. 

 

       “Yes, Master Grayson, this was the residents of the once noble house of La Cecil. The house has sat empty for the past two years. The price is quite good at four mithril. One for current taxes and three for the past taxes. Though as you can see, it will take substantial work to get it ready to live in.” Timmothy said, following me up to the charred front doors.

 

       ‘The whole thing would have to come down…I guess this is the fixer upper option….’ I thought as I turned to Ashley. 

 

       Eye’s meeting, she gave a hesitant smile, “It is cheap, but it will take a month of work through the construction guilds to get something close to ready.”

 

       “Well, we are not going inside. Let’s put this on the last option for now if nothing else suits us?” 

 

       “That would be best I think…Come Alma, Iolanthe.” Ashley said, heading back to the carriage.

 

       Timmothy spoke to the man, and he nodded, heading back to his rickshaw. I climbed back into the plush interior and settled once more on Milly.

 

        Heading out from the decrepit estate, we turned once more onto east out wall road and headed to the next major intersection. Turning right, the centaurs pulled us along the street past the joining intersections of Exalted way, Emperor drive, and temple street. Almost another forty minutes later, the same rickshaw was waiting by a stone gate. 

 

       The gate was done in what I could only closely call an art deco style. The hideous mosaic of tiles did little except dizzy the eye. The stone drive was a miss-match of colors and shapes. ‘There is no way this is going to be good.’ I thought as the path led to a triangle mansion courtyard. 

 

       Stepping out, I took one look at the house as Timmothy approached. The thing was a miss-match of shapes, and the carnival colors did nothing to blend the stacks of cubes, hexagons, and off-kilter triangles together. Timmothy walked up beside me.

 

       “What by all the gods is that?” I asked.

 

       “Ah, I was not sure if you would be a fan of the art collector Lord Crussol Evreux. It is a notable sought after property, and the biding between the nobles has reached a price of thirteen mithril.”

 

       “That high…”

 

       “He is a prominent art dealer, and his house is the envy of many.” Ashley said to my left side.

 

       “Well, I would rather build a house from the ground up than by this abomination, but I suppose art is subjective.” 

 

       “I believe we both subjectively agree this is not to our tastes.” Ashley added.

 

       “Yes, I am getting a headache from just looking at it.” 

 

       “Very well then, the next house. The mistress of the home is in and is expecting us.” Timmothy said to me while he shook his head at the man in the rickshaw.

 

       Climbing back in the carriage once more, I was treated to the view of the passing estates. Once on Emperor drive, the main road that led to the gates of the imperial palace, we turned down a side street. The second plot of land from the main road was the estate we were going to. 

 

       A well-kempt fence ran to the middle, with brick columns and rod iron in between. Tasteful flowering vines grew along the fence and provided a soft blue and yellow burst of color as one looked deeper into the grounds. Reaching the middle of the property, there was a servant on horseback waiting. I watched as they talked to the man in the rickshaw and led us onto the estate. 

 

       Dappled shade covered the slight incline of the path. The outer section of the grounds was a well-maintained section of forest. Breaking from the trees after a few minutes lead to open gardens and the front of the manor house. Finely crushed gravel was lain on the front drive and around one side of the house. I could only just see the outlines of the outbuildings; their shapes were broken by trees and flowering bushes. 

 

       The front of the home was not immaculate, ivy grew on the north side of the building, and the telling signs of age slowly crept throughout the area. The front of the building had double doors that awaited the entrance of guests. Sets of three tall windows lined each side of the door, matching the ones on the two stories above the first. Gabled roofs and angles hide windows and chimneys. To each side of the center, houses were rounded towers, some levels enclosed by windows, while others offered covered patios. The cylinder towers rose above the main house, conical roofs pointing to the heavens.

 

       Side wings of the manor grew from the corner towers, hinting at the internal size. The roof was done in black tiles, not unlike the Spanish-style red clay shingles from back on earth. While not panted in cherry colors, the clean brown trim and dark green allowed the places where white was displayed to vibrantly stand out. 

 

       Getting from the carriage, I absently held my hand for Ashley to climb out. She was smiling broadly and gazing lovingly at the home. Meeting each other’s eyes, we both just smiled. The air was filled with the smell of cut grass and loamy soil. The crunching of gravel broke the daze I found myself in.

 

       “I can see this is far more to your tastes Master Grayson.” Timmothy said, walking up next to us.

 

       “Yes, I think it is.”

 

       Walking closer to the doors of the estate, a servant stepped out, “Exalted Lord Eric Grayson and Exalted Lady Ashley Wintershore, welcome to the Cezmen De Montfort manor, I am head steward Ashland, welcome.”

 

       “Thank you, Ashland, Baroness Montfort is expecting us?” 

 

       “Yes, she is most honored to show her home to the Exalted ones.” Ashland said with another bow.

 

       Walking forward with Ashley on my left arm, her trailing Milly’s leash behind her with Alma and Iolanthe walking behind Milly, we entered. “The Baroness is having tea prepared in the east room, I will guide you to her if it pleases, Exalted Ones.” 

 

       “Yes, very well.” I said, following into the main greeting hall. The room drew the eye to the center, where two curved staircases wound along the side to the second floor. White marble veined with black tiled the floor, guiding the eye up words. The ceiling was a deep blue, almost black, and the night sky had been replicated meticulously. The moon and planets of this alien solar system hung gracefully amidst the backdrop of stars. The light spilling in through the windows allowed for only the brightest of the celestial bodies to be seen. 

 

       “It is quite the entrance spectacle at night during balls.” Ashland said, leading us to the right. Through double doors, we walked into an entertaining parlor or a large room I would have guessed would have been used for such. As of now, there was no furniture save for a table by a carved marble fireplace. 

 

       Through two more rooms, we walked, each devoid of furniture and paintings. Thoe they still held their previous splendor. At a single door, Ashland knocked, waited, and moment then opened the door.

 

       “My Lady Montfort, may I introduce the Exalted Lord Eric Grayson and Exalted Lady Ashley Wintershore.” Ashland said as we entered the room. 

 

       Sitting in a high wing-backed chair in front of a round table was an aged woman. Gray hair neatly pulled back in a bun, ornamentation holding it in place. A kindly wrinkled face smiled from atop and shawl of rich green. 

 

       “Do forgive me Exalted Lord and Lady if I cannot stand and bow appropriately.” Baroness Montfort said, a sweet crackle in her voice.   

 

       “Think nothing of it, Baroness, may we sit?” I asked, nodding politely to her breach of formality.

 

       “Of course, come let us have tea and speak.” 

 

       Allowing a serving slave to pull our chairs out, Ashley and I sat across from the Baroness. “This is a wonderful home.” I began.

 

       “It has been good to the Montfort’s for a long time. Did you enjoy the entryway?” Baroness Montfort said as the slight click of her teacup on her saucer punctuated the tremble in her hand.

 

       “It was just as beautiful as I have heard my father describe.” Ashley said.

 

       “Ah yes, The Exalted Duke did attend, twice in fact, when he was younger, our solstice galas…Wonderful times.” 

       

       “I would have loved to see one.” Ashley said, sipping her tea that had just been poured by a slave girl.

 

       “Maybe you might get the chance, I would hate to see the work of three generations of the Exalted Barons Montfort gone to waist.”

 

       “That would be tragic.” I said with misleading familiarity.

 

       “The Montfort’s were enchanters right.” Ashley said, pausing then quickly adding, “Oh, I am so sorry forgive me….”

 

       “It is quite alright dear, the pains of the past, though not forgotten, are not as sharp as they once were.”

 

       “Where are you moving to?” I asked, segueing the conversation.

 

       “Out to our…my, country Barony. The capitol holds to many memories, and to much political maneuvering for my liking now.” The Baroness said. “Come, let Ashland show you the house and grounds. Then we can talk more.” 

 

       Getting up, both Ashley and I nodded, “A wonderful idea.” 

 

       Following Ashland, he led us through the parts of the house. The main dining room ready for a large table. A ballroom, polished wood floor inlaid with planets and stars, with chandeliers that complemented the stary theme. 

 

       “What was that about her family?” I asked as we walked through the main kitchen, with Large counters, stoves, and a cooled pantry.

 

         “The Montfort’s were enchanters; they had a son and two daughters. The son was in the legion, and he died from a void beast attack. The daughters each died while carrying their children. The Exalted Baron died shortly after, leaving the Baroness.”

 

       “Oh, shit…”

 

       “Yes, they were a well-liked family. The great grandfather is the one who built this house, he was the first enchanter in the family and loved to watch the night sky, supposedly.” Ashley said as we walked through guest rooms and headed for the second floor. 

 

       Offices attached to the manor library and rooms for reading and looking over the grounds abounded. “The master sweets are on the third floor; each has a bathing room complete with enchanted hot and cold water.”

 

       The rooms had all been cleared save for the occasional table or chair. White plain curtains hung over the windows. Carved woodwork was brought to the forefront by the absent vacant feel. The master sweets were large with three rooms in each, one a bathing room, a bed-chamber, and a sitting living area. 

 

       Reaching the east master room, I said, “Alma, Iolanthe. Walk around the room, I want to see you in it.” ‘Have to give them something to be reassured about.’ I thought after saying. I watched them sway around the rooms, going through doors or leaning seductively against the walls and door frames. They really were trying hard to impress me.

 

       “Enough, wait by the door. You two will fit wonderfully with the room.” I said, watching a relieved and happy smile cross their faces. ‘Whatever helps I suppose….’ 

 

        “Ashland, tell me does the manor have a place for enchanting work?”

 

       “Yes, though it is not in the manor proper. The workshop is in the closest outbuilding. Would you like to see it?” 

 

       “No that will be fine, what enchantments does the house have?”

 

       “There are more than most, all the water is magical with both hot and cold taps. The roof has a repair and water repellent enchantment. There are enchantments to ring for servants in all the rooms. And the roads and paths around the grounds our kept clear and repaired by one as well.” Ashland answered.

 

       “And the ceiling?”

 

       “Ah yes, there are many enchantments to mimic the motion of the stars and give off light. In the southwest tower there is as well a view…a…scope… Used by the great Exalted elder Montfort. It has enchantments as well but, I am afraid I do not know what they do.” Ashland answered as I absently rubbed Alma’s back.

 

       “Ashley, are we agreed?” 

 

       “Oh, most assuredly it is a wonderful find.”

 

       “Ashland, I believe we can return to the Baroness.”

 

       “Very well Exalted Lord Grayson right this way.” 

 

Thank you to all of you along for the ride.

A big thanks to those of you supporting me out on Patreon.

 

Sorry this chapters taking more work than I thought. I wanted to have it done, but thus is the creative process.

I am going to go to posting Wednesday and Saturday, as more time in between helps. Also bigger chapters that way.  

 

49