Sarah Allenoic
1.8k 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is a different viewpoint that will go after chapter five.

 

 

Sarah Allenoic.

 

        The rays of the sun fell on the Port town of Kilna. It was one of the few warm months this far north in the Empire. 'August is such a pleasant month, one of the few….' Viscount Allenoic thought to himself. His aging body was not what it used to be, and a small amount of fat hung around his midriff. He could still fit in his battle armor, but it was getting snug. Resplendently dressed for the occasion, his wife, the Viscountess Allenoic, sat beside him in the open-top carriage, waving to the citizens along their procession through the city. 

 

        Allenoic sweated slightly from the warming armor. Dabbing at his face with a silk handkerchief intermittently as he waved to his subjects. "Should have gotten a temperature enchantment placed on this armor along with all the other embellishments." He said softly to his wife.

 

        "I did tell you, but you thought it was an unneeded extravagance." The black-haired Viscountess said the tiny sapphires were swimming glowing blue stars in the black void of her hair. A practiced smile graced her ruby lips.

 

        "Well, with all the other gold and engravings on this thing, it was one of the few expenses I could cut."

 

        "Frugal as always, my love. You look dashing regardless of your blush."

 

        "Men don't blush, we…we…we, our passions rise."

 

        "Much better, love…remember to smile. This is a joyful day; our daughter is receiving her inheritance." The Viscountess said, the ocean blue of her dress lending her arm the appearance of a graceful wave washing over the crowds.

 

        Pulled by two dappled mare centaurs, the carriage made its way along colorfully decorated streets. Bright Tabards hung from windows, ribbons were tied in bows on the lamp posts, and merchant stalls displayed extra colorful items. The festivities had been weeks of planning. The day came, and all citizens and most of the slaves were given the day to celebrate.

 

        From her window in the top floor of the keep, Lady Sarah Allenoic watched the movement of the carriage far below. The stage built earlier in the week waited for her. Soon the festive crowd would gather in front of the keep and along the port to witness her receive her official noble title.  

 

        "You look beautiful, Lady Sarah." The lavender-skinned Star elf said. The soft purple of her hair braided with pink flowers. The sky-blue dress had been embroidered with silver in the colors of house Allenoic.

 

        "Thank you, Enya; you did wonders for my hair," Sarah said, playing with the ends of her ravine hair. The elaborate braid she wore intertwined with blue ribbons. A simple woven silver tiara resting delicately on her hair.

 

        "Always mistress, it is my pleasure," Enya said, moving back out of the full-length mirror so her mistress could view herself fully.

 

        "You really are the best of us at it," Daisey added from her spot, laying on a day bed. Her silver tail flicked in the air as she laid on her stomach. Her silver wolf ears perked in attention as her feet slowly kicked back and forth in the air. Her silver dress pooled around her knees, the toned muscle of her calves hidden by black stockings ending in flat black shoes. 

         

        "Wow, Lady Sarah, you look wonderful!" Came the cheerful voice of Yariea when she walked from the changing room. Fanning out behind her were five foxtails, glowing white with the ends tipped in pink. Her pink hair curled past her neck while the fur of her white fox ears peeked through the lush mass on the top of her head. A pastel blue skirt flared from her hips to her knees, legs hidden by white stockings. The white vest she wore ended above her belly button.

 

        "You are all too kind. And you all look so lovely." Sarah said, turning in the mirror. Making sure everything was in place.

 

        "The carriage has made it three-quarters around the city, Lady Sarah," Enya said from over by the window.

 

        "No holding it off; we should head down," Sarah said, turning to her slaves, friends, and lovers. They were beautiful in her eyes, and she loved every moment she got to spend with them.

 

        "Well, come on then, let's go make you a proper Lady," Daisey said impishly, rolling gracefully from the day bed.

 

        Linking her arm with the wolfkin Dimi human, Yariea opened the door to Sarah's room. Walking into the stone hallway illuminated only by widows at the far ends, the four-headed to the stairs. Enya holding Yariea's arm following the swaying blue dress of their mistress and the silver dress and white tail of their longtime friend and playmate Daisey.

 

        The cold of the stone was warmed by their happy passage. The heavy stone that had seen so many inhabitants, sometimes by the peoples of the Empire, at other times by the free folk to the north, stood silent as always. If the halls, clean and decorated with care, could speak or show emotion, they would be happy at having such joyous and loving occupants walk its passages.

 

        Down from the upper levels of the keep, the four went, winding stairways leading to halls. Halls led to chambers, some for entertaining, others for sitting or lounging, until the main floor was reached. Today was a day to use the main doors to the keep instead of one of the smaller side doors. The throne room with its raised dais held a single high-backed wood and gold chair. The seat of power for her father, the Viscount. There he would pass judgments and hear complaints from the local free citizens. 60 meters long, 18 meters wide, and 24 meters high, the hall made no acquiescence to the power it displayed. The far doors that lead out into the central courtyard bailey were massive things. Made from wood and bronze, the once relieved front bore testament to the many failed attempts of the Empire to hold this land so far north. Scarred and pitted from the fires of many battles, the doors never seemed to fully heal; even when redone, they kept the wounds of long ago.

 

        Sarah passed the gathered nobles, waving and smiling brightly. The lords and ladies offered warm bows of their heads as she passed. A few Barrons and landed gentry were all that had assembled in the hall to see her on her way to joining the ranks of the Empire's nobility. The great doors led to a courtyard and through the outer gate.

 

        Sarah took her seat on the stage that had been erected, her three life slaves kneeling on plush pillows at her side. The crowd gathered in front of her. Each citizen looking their best for the occasion. They all loved the Allenoic's and had been looking forward to the day that their only daughter would formally take up her title as Viscount heir apparent and to one day rule over them all.

 

        Colorful ribbons waved in the air, and cheering rumbled from the throng when the carriage approached. Stopping to the side of the stage, Sarah's mother and father got out. Their faces lit up when they saw her seated waiting for them, a tear rolling down her mother's cheek.

 

        Viscount Allenoic moved to the podium while his wife sat in a chair next to his daughter. "Wonderful day all. A Day for celebration to honor my daughter's coming of age. A momentous day for the Allenoic's and our fair town. Please, lady Sarah, my daughter, join me." he reached out his hand lightly, helping Sarah to her feet and then onto her knees in front of the audience.

 

        "My dearest daughter, are you ready to receive the oath of nobility?"

 

        "Yes, father." With these words, another round of cheering went up from the gathered crowd.  

 

        "Then do you, Sarah Allenoic, so swear to follow the emperor, the laws, and governances of the empire, lay willing to the power of the exalted mages, hold fast the tenants of our great empire and vow to protect, with blood, might or death all there that lay within?" The crowd was silent as the Viscount's words rung powerful in the air. Carrying to each who stood witness.

 

        "I do so swear, to uphold the responsibilities of a noble and to guide the citizens of the Empire by the rules and laws of the Empire. Long may the emperor rule, long last the Empire!"

        With the ringing of her declaration, the crowd cheered once more, this time not stopping. Her father turned to the lectern, which had a simple but ornate tiara on it. The diamond-encrusted bit of jewelry was her mother's and her mother's before her, back six generations. It was passed down on the day each had come of age and receive their noble title.  As the crown rested on her head, the holy system gave her a message, one confirming her right to rule over the people.

 

        Title received:

            Viscountess heir apparent; confirmed noble lady.

 

        Sarah checked her system screen quickly. There it was, her noble title. Lady Sarah Allenoic, Viscountess of the Empire; heir apparent. Her mother smiled, a few tears falling from her eyes. Her father applauded happily along with everyone else.

 

        It was a wonderful day Sarah felt; the sun was warm and the people happy. She would be able to do so much good for them all. With the help of Amara, she would show these citizens how to love. She smiled brightly, waving to all the friendly faces she knew from growing up in the port town. Children she had celebrated being born, heroes from the legion that had gone off to serve the great Empire and had returned victorious. The baker and blacksmith, old miss Tashara the leader of the knitting circle. She was so happy.

 

        Sarah saw it then; she was more than likely the first in the crowd to see the flaming arrow fall from the sky. The arrow streaked brightly, dropping onto one of the thatched roofs of one of the houses kindling of flame almost instantly. She did not understand what was happening as more and more of the people began to notice the smoke coming from the dwelling. Then one of the watchtower bells along the wall began to ring. Its loud tone crashing out across the town in a chaotic staccato rhythm. Just as quickly as it had begun, it was silenced, and then the sound of thousands of hollering cries filled the air.

 

        One of the higher-level guards that were along the wall ran to the courtyard amongst the gathered group. Using what apparently must have been a skill, he shouted, "ATTACK!"

 

        Everyone froze for a second before, in a flurry of movement, chaos unfolded from everywhere. Panic quickly swept across the crowd, and Viscount Allenoic roared, "TO ARMS, TO ARMS. DEFEND THE TOWN! ENYA, TAKE SARAH TO THE CELLAR, LOCK YOUR SELVES IN!" His yell had the force of hundreds of battles in it, spurring Sarah's slaves to move.

 

        They quickly grabbed her hands, and they began to run, dashing from the stage and back through the first portcullis into the Bailey. Running over the ancient cobblestone, they flew up the steps and through the massive doors, which began to close as soon as they crossed the threshold pushed shut by two guards stationed within.

 

        Turning, Sarah saw the last of her town as the door shut and the thousands of flaming arrows descending upon the town. Each flame at the end a hungry wolf seeking to devour in fire what could not be consumed in blood.

 

        Running through ancient hallways past the stairs and into the back of the keep, they descended. Instead of happily returning to her apartments on the upper part of the castle fortifications, they now descended towards the kitchens. Guards and slaves ran past them, each going to their assigned positions to help defend the town. Taking familiar twists and turns, the four quickly found themselves in the kitchen.

 

        Past the stoves and ovens and countertops laden with knives and herbs hanging from racks, they ran to the back door that led into the cellar pantry. Daisy closed the door behind them, barring the first obstacle to the heavily fortified area of the castle. The first section was a general storage area and preparation space, and at the end was another door that led into the kitchen staff serving quarters. That door was barred as well, and their panicked flight began to ease. Worry taking root and blossoming deep within each of them.

 

        The time held little meaning down in the depths of the castle. The cold storage room in the dry goods pantry in the living area all were without windows giving no hint as to the passing of time. Sheltered from the chaos and horror of the battles that surely must be going on up above Sarah, Enya, Yarie'a, and Daisey waited. Moments stretching out into what must have been days and days of waiting.

 

        Huddled together for comfort when they slept, the silent worry was their only companion in their waking moments. Sarah knew if things had gone well; someone would surely come for them, and likewise, if something had gone horribly wrong, whatever invaders had attacked the town would find their way in. This, however, the silence in the waiting was something she had not expected. Not daring to open the doors for fear they were the only thing keeping whatever horrors had descended upon their village at Bay.

 

        They had slept four times when the door finally cracked open. It was ripped down the middle and fell inward. Two legion men came in and a third. A grand inquisitor.

 

        "Take them; I will deal with them up top." The exalted mage ordered. More legion men coming in and gagging and binding the four women. Sarah knew what this meant. Things had not gone well for the town.

 

        They were led out of the keep, through the Baylie, and into the ruminates of their town. Ash covered everything, and the hems of their clothes quickly gathered the filth and suit. The sky was gray and blocked the sun as they were led to a circle of wagons. Sarah only saw legionaries and no one else.

 

        They Stopped in front of a caged wagon; the grand inquisitor, now sitting behind a desk, Sarah asked, "My father and mother?" Her three slaves kept their heads bowed and did not dare to speak.

 

        "Viscountess Sarah Allenoic, your father and mother are dead and failed to defend the town. As you have been confirmed the heir of these lands, the fault rest solely with you. Unfortunate, truly, better to have died fighting than hiding. As such, you know the penalty for the crimes of your family?"

 

        "I do, but I was just confirmed. I just followed what my father told me." Sarah started.

 

        "The law is the law, and a failure is a failure. You are henceforth stripped of your title as a noble. You will be sold in the capital as a fallen noble; your family line is unfit to hold the rank of noble, and as such, you shall become a slave."

 

        "I…I…my slaves will be sold with me?"   

 

        "Yes, that is the law, but they are no longer your slaves. You are slaves of the Empire." And with that pronouncement, four legion guards clamped collars around all of them.

 

        There was a flash of pain that ripped through Sarah's body, then nothing. She felt the slave magic begin to burn into the very fiber of her being. She knew she would wear the collar for a week as they traveled, and after that, she would receive the slave brand. Permanently affixing the slave magic to her.

 

        She was kicked onto her knees by the guard, along with Enya, Yarie'a, and Daisey. They did not fight it as the clubs descended. Each blow racking her body with more pain. Bones broke, and muffled sobs were the last thing she heard before she was knocked into unconsciousness.

 

 

Thank you for reading and thank you to my supporters!

 

Been working on a lot of plotting and figuring out how I want the story to go in the future. There are some twisty bits that I have to get right so the whole thing can come together at the end. I am thinking that after the slave auction will be the end of book one, with some set up for the next books along with some back chapter points of view.

 

 

25