Chapter 5: Intermission
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Taras and Father Thomas walked, the slight breeze from earlier turned into a harsh wind.

          “I am glad Sister Clarey made sure I had my coat before we departed, I certainly need it.” Father Thomas said.

          “Yes sir, it looks like we’ll need to hurry, it’s probably going to rain soon.” Taras answered.

          They turned a corner, passing an old beggar sitting crosswise on the cobblestones.

          “Alms for the poor! Alms for the poor!” he cried out.

          Taras stopped, and took out a beat-up silver coin from his pocket, something he had earned stacking hay the last town they were in. He then handed it to the old beggar, thinking he would at least gave someone something that day.

          “Thank ye kindly ser.” The man said, aiming his face upward.

          Taras saw stained bandages covering the place where a person’s eyes would usually be.

          Beside Taras, Father Thomas reached into his robe and took out a sad and worn purse. From the Purse he extracted a few bronze coins and handed them to the blind beggar as well.

“Hello Jameson, we have been missing you at church suppers as of late, I was wondering if you were alright.”

          “Is that Father Thomas I hear? HA, those so-called church suppers are gonna kill somebody someday, you hardly serve anything edible. As it stands, I earn enough money from begging anyway to get me carrots.” Jameson said.

          “Well I am terribly hurt to hear that, but you are somewhat right. If only we had more donations, we could we could help better. The people of this town have always held tight to their purse strings though.

          “Yer telling me!”

          Taras then saw the man’s jaw go suddenly slack, and once more he faced Taras.

          “Young man, when you seek answers, five arrows will point you into the direction of your savior1 Revised to fit with the story going forward, thankfully it was a small plot-hole.”

          “Jameson, enough with your strange ramblings” Father Thomas said.

          The beggar then returned to normal, saying, “Huh? What ye talking about Father?”

          “Do not listen to him.” Father Thomas whispered to Taras while they were walking away. “He was once a proud soldier for the previous Lord, but sustained a heavy blow to his head that cost him his sight a few years back. People around here think he is some kind of seer just because of those odd spells once in a while, and give him money in hopes to find their fortunes.”

          “So that’s why he can afford to beg without going to the church for help?”

          “Yes, and those people are foolish and vain.”

          Taras thought that sentiment may or may not have been due to donations going to fortunes rather than the church, but he kept his mouth shut.

          “I have to apologize for a sin earlier.” Father Thomas said, “I heard some of your conversation with Sister Clarey, but only that you have no blood relations and that you are traveling with your foster father. Am I correct?”

          Taras felt the old priest was a bit too nosy for his age, but since he had been treated with hospitality he relented.

          “Yes Father, I’m traveling with my foster father and foster sister.”

          “My apologies again, but I was just wondering what kind of role model would raise such an upstanding and polite young man such as yourself.”

          At that statement Taras had to hold in his laughter, which he covered up by coughing.

          “Are you alright young man?”

          “Yes sir, it’s nothing. I have to say though, you’re only half right. He did raise me to be like this, but he isn’t the paragon of morals someone would think. He’s a semi-drunk most of the time, he would forget his own head if it wasn’t attached to his shoulders (trust me he has left me many times before), and he is a horrible tightwad who can’t spend one coin on anything.” Taras said with an exasperated look on his face.

          “Wow, that was quite the monologue there young man. I am guessing you have repeated that sentiment many times before, but pray do tell, why if you despise him so much why do you still stay?”

          “I don’t hate him, it’s the complete opposite. Other than those faults he is an amazing man who saved my life and my younger sister’s as well. Also, even while we have lived on the road since he found me, he’s taught us everything he could, like reading, a little writing, and fighting.” As Taras said that he remembered all of the time he had spent with Felton since that day in the slave market. Felton was not just a foster; he was the real thing.

          “Oh what an odd admiration you hold, if I daresay accepting a person despite their flaws, you must truly love him.”

          “Yes, and even though my sister would say otherwise, she loves him too, probably more than me.”

          “What do you all do for a living that requires you to travel?”

          “Odd jobs, pest control, searching for things clients ask us to find, and sometimes taking on large monsters, like an Arachnea or a Malaso.” The last part was somewhat a lie, as Felton had only ever hunted one large monster that he could remember, and Taras had not been allowed to come along.

          “So, you all are what they would have called adventurers in the old days? That sounds interesting, especially to an old man who has not strayed far from his birthplace his whole life.” Father Thomas laughed after saying the last part.

 Taras felt it sounded different than one of the mirthful ones the priest had given earlier though. ‘Maybe longing? But for what?” he thought.

“I guess so.” Taras then replied.

“That can be dangerous work young man, may God be with you on your journeys.”

“Thanks for the blessing Father, I’ll remember to be careful.”

“Actually, the reason I asked you along has to do with a job we took yesterday.”

“Hmm, does it have to do with the sewers?”

“Yes, how did you know?”

“I did hear a small bit back at the church, but we have already had two victims of mysterious deaths this year. Was the person missing any parts of their body?”

“Yes, the face and stomach area.”

“Just as I feared, we should have hurried earlier, we may be too late.”

“Why would we need to hurry?”

“Both times bodies were found, they always disappeared within the day. I am not sure how, or why it was done, but they vanished without a trace.” 

They both started walking at a much faster pace than before. Taras was surprised Father Thomas was keeping up, despite his age.

They were on the street leading to the ruins, when they heard the sounds of blades clashing. Taras sprinted ahead to get a better view. When he got close, he saw Felton and two masked figures fighting with swords.

0