10: This Senpai Will Eventually Lead Me To Doom
54 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyday was monotonous. Except for the few amusing events here and there, nothing much happened in the past three months—and before everyone knew it, it was already summer break.

Since Shuuya was the type of person who didn't have much to do in breaks, she stayed holed in her room doing the leftover homework she's got.

She reached in the drawer to look for a calculator, but instead pulled out her phone that displayed a notification in the lockscreen.

[ Fr: Maeda Senpai

Just got back from Miyagi. How are you? ]

She sighs. She thought it was something important.

[ To: Maeda Senpai

I'm fine ]

This guy really has no end. Throughout summer break, they never lost contact since he's been messaging her thrice a week, never failing to inform her about his misadventures in the training camp in Miyagi and the people he's met. The messages were so lengthy and descriptive Shuuya doesn't even need to come and see everything for herself.

Here she thought he'd refrain from messaging her today since she assumed he'd be tired from travelling. It was already 12 PM and he's still awake.

[ Fr: Maeda Senpai

Do you have any plans for summer? ]

You still have the energy to ask?

[ To: Maeda Senpai

There is nothing. ]

A reply immediately arrived.

[ Fr: Maeda Senpai

Then we're the same ^^ ]

She didn't reply after that, since she prefers to have her schoolwork finished rather than have pointless talk. She was immediately knocked out after an hour.

She woke up late the next day, 2 PM. It was already past lunchtime.

"And the sleeping dragon finally comes out of her room," her mother teased once she saw her daughter emerge from her room and into the kitchen to get something to eat. Shuuya ignored her teasing and opened the fridge.

Suddenly, the phone from her pocket vibrated. She closed the door of the refridgerator and turned to look at the screen.

A call from an unregistered number.

Shuuya wondered on who might it be. She immediately swiped the green call button to accept the call.

"Hello?"

"Dearie! It's me."

"...who?" she frowns. A voice of a mature woman. She doesn't know anyone at that age who'd she have contact with—

"Yuma's mom."

She froze. Right. I gave them my number back then.

"I-I see. I'm sorry for not recognizing your voice right away, the signal here is too bad." She quickly made up an excuse. The woman on the other line laughed.

"Anyway, how are you? We haven't been in contact for many months since I was so busy. Yuma was away for a month too, so I can't even ask you to come over."

Please, don't, was Shuuya's true thoughts, but what came out from her mouth was, "It's a shame, really."

"Since it's your summer vacation, it's probably a good idea to meet up for dinner again? Like, tonight?"

"Um, I'll think about a good date. I'm still not finished with my homework." Even if she was, like hell would she tell!

"You're such a nice kid. I hope my sons would be as hardworking as you," Mrs. Maeda sighs. "Anyway, I'll hope you finish up soon. See you, daughter!"

And then the line ends.

...daughter? Who's your daughter! Shuuya almost cursed under her breath. But what made her really do so was the shock her own mother gave her from behind.

"Who was it that called you?"

"A friend's mom," she lied with a straight face.

She saw interest pique in her mother's eyes. "What did she say?"

"She invited me to dinner. I refused."

"Eh? Why?"

Because I don't want to! "I've already eaten a bunch in their house so there's no need to,"

Little did she knew, Mrs. Honda was over the moon after hearing about how a friend's family was taking great care of her daughter.

"We need to repay them!" she shakes Shuuya's shoulders in glee, which made the other speechless.

"T-there's no need to. They did it in their own accord,"

But her words were already deaf to Mrs. Honda's ears. "Invite them to dinner!"

"What? No!!" Shuuya pushes herself off from her mother and made an ugly expression.

"Why not?" her mother frowns at her. Seeing her distracted, she snatched the phone out of Shuuya's hand and raised it up high.

"You won't do it? I'll do it." She really enjoyed how her short child wasn't able to reach the phone from her even if she jumped.

Shuuya finally gave up after ten minutes of struggle. They won't agree to it anyway. I obviously looked poor and they looked classy, they won't possibly eat in a poor man's house...

"By the way, which friend of yours belonged to the family?"

"...Maeda-senpai."

"A senpai, huh?" Mrs. Honda raised her brows in amusement. To think her daughter made good friends with a girl older than her!

"Is she pretty?"

"I guess..."

Mrs. Maeda was surprised once her phone was rung by Shuuya.

"Daughter! You called?"

Mrs. Honda's eyes practically shone once she heard another mother call her daughter their daughter. "Actually, this is her mom."

Mrs. Maeda was pleasantly surprised. "Why, Mrs. Honda. I've been wanting to meet you for the longest time."

"Then we are just the same!" She grins wider once she saw Shuuya's face turn sullen.

"I actually called earlier to invite Shuuya for dinner."

"And I called you for the exact same reason! Actually, we're having a feast tonight at our house, I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with us?"

"Oh, no problem! Do you mind if I bring my other son?"

"I didn't know you have another child!" Mrs. Honda laughs. Oh, to have one daughter and one son. She only had a daughter in this lifetime, she'll surely enjoy the added company.

When the call ends, Shuuya was nowhere to be seen. In order to return her phone, Mrs. Honda had to search the entire house only to see Shuuya sulking at the corner of the garden.

***

Yuma was actually bewildered.

Never did he expect to visit Shuuya's house. At least not this way—not with his family.

"It smells good here," Soma gushes once they were at their doorstep. The smell of food wafted in the air out the window.

"Hi, good evening!" Mrs. Honda enthusiastically opened the door with a huge smile on her face.

The Maedas were surprisingly good-looking. Two ikemen sons and a bijin mother leading infront, Mrs. Honda was almost blinded.

"Finally! I've met the mother of my esteemed daughter-in-law!" Mrs. Maeda grabbed Mrs. Honda's hands and shook it.

From behind, Shuuya tripped on her feet and Yuma choked on air.

Mrs. Honda froze. "...daughter-in-law?"

Mrs. Maeda, noticing the odd reaction on the other mom's face, shyly retracts her hand back to her side. "T-too soon? Well, they might be just a boyfriend-girlfriend couple now, but I believe they'll be a good husband-wife couple in the future..."

Only now did Mrs.Honda notice that there wasn't a Maeda daughter present, only two sons.

...so which one of these are my daughter's—!?

---

author's note: just to avoid confusion, in Japan, there are four school breaks; summer break, fall break, winter break, and spring break. Summer break isn't much of a big deal here, it's mostly just doing homework at home for the most part—so the school year hasn't ended. although i also do plan to set this novel up until they're in university, i don't plan on rushing into it yet^^

2