[2] The Mission _ part 1
19 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eiren, sitting in one of the corners of the inn, has fuzzy thoughts about what happened in the square. He tries to verbalize the elf's words in his mind. He does not find sense to them, he feels them incoherent but at the same time he perceives gravity and truthfulness in those words.

He has just experienced something magical and that concept is dangerous. Magic is forbidden by the empire. They are extremely harsh on those who promote or practice magic and he doesn't want to get involved in anything related.

While he internally discusses the meaning of that, he decides not to discuss it with anyone. He doesn't trust anyone and even though the Enclave considers her family he feels that he shouldn't talk about it.

The atmosphere of the inn is cheerful. A wide variety of candles bathe the room in light while a circular fireplace in the center of the room gives warmth to the place. The room is long, at the beginning of it there is a thick-framed door and at the end, a wooden bar with metal edges. Several wooden pillars with metal inlays in their corners are placed every few meters along it and support the wide, dark ceiling. Two stairs on the side of the bar lead to the bedrooms at the top.

There are a large number of tables and chairs that are scattered by the same customers who change their position frequently. A group of musicians on one side of the room play old and ancient melodies but with a sympathetic cadence to the ears of those present.

The overall look gives Eiren a stronghold, imposing and menacing impression, despite that, the colors and the people themselves create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Eiren watches the old innkeeper stroll. He is serving drinks along the bar and talking to customers. He finds the old man's walk funny. The prominent white padlock beard moves gracefully and his thick ear and eyebrow piercings make him look fierce. His padded arming cap covers his ears, perhaps the use of this cap was a custom acquired after so many years of war. Strangely the innkeeper's great height does not do justice to his old age. Eiren has heard many stories from the old innkeeper. It is known that he was a great warrior in a recent conflict with another human civilization on the other side of Gray Mountain. After that he retired and apart from that, he doesn't know more about him.

Aerlin's slim figure is seen walking up to the bar. The woman put her cloak on the chair next to him. Without the thick fur covering, Eiren can observe her outfit. He has a loose white blouse that covers her neck and reaches her thighs. His tight black pants match a pair of leather riding boots. A thin belt on which he hangs a dagger affirms the ensemble above his waist. He cannot infer the age of the assassin although her lifestyle makes her stay young and with an attractive form, very pleasant in Eiren's eyes.

While he is arriving at the bar, a drunk customer happens to take his butt with his hand, an action that makes his companions laugh out loud. Aerlin pauses for a few moments and turns around. In one swift movement he severely punches the individual's face with his fist. The laughter of the drunken customers around her stops immediately. The music is also interrupted. He says a few words to the group of stunned men. After a few seconds of silence she moves away from the beaten man and continues on her way to the bar. The music resumes its march. The men around the table take the unconscious body of the man on the floor and retreat through the front door.

Despite the altercation, all the other travelers and diners continue to enjoy food and drinks without concern.

A few moments later Aerlin arrives with two large pitchers, abruptly setting them on the table, splashing liquid around.

'Your reputation precedes you Aerlin' Eiren says.

'Do you believe it?' Aerlin mutters in a low tone as he raises the beer with both hands. Then he brings the jug to his mouth. 'Health!'

'Since I was little, I've been attentive to the people of the Enclave. I've heard of you. Especially a certain story of a robbery at Enselfold Castle. How did you escape from that frozen fortress? ... ' - Eiren stops talking the moment Aerlin makes a gesture with her hand.

'I don't want to hear fantasy stories or rumors about me,' says the woman as she wipes the drops of beer dripping from her mouth with the sleeve of her blouse. She laughs briefly showing a big smile. 'People have huge imaginations'

Eiren believes he has struck a chord with the assasin and decides not to inquire further about her. Indeed, many stories have been told about the most famous assassin in the enclave, some quite fantastic to the understanding of him.

'Where will the captive elves be taken?' Eiren asks curiously.

'To the Prison on Gray Mountain. It's far from here on the mountain road to the north. “Homdal” is called the sector, 'says the assassin, her eyes fixed on Eiren. 'Because?'

'Just curious. I've always seen that they take magical creatures to the mountain.' says the man scratching his head as he looks at the sudden seriousness on Aerlin's features.

'Be careful with those questions. You can turn up buried in a ditch at any time,' Aerlin responds after taking a long drink of beer. 'The agents of the empire have eyes everywhere. For example, we could very well be working for them without knowing it. These are dangerous times.'

Eiren without answering and looking sideways at a random spot on the table takes a small sip from her jug. He wants to know more. He even knows that it is a dangerous world and questions like those can get him in trouble.

There must be some reason for the empire to pursue all things magical. He thinks distracted. He has seen on occasions how they take people, even neighbors, who with the slightest suspicion of the use of magic disappear at any time and at any time. All at the hands of the agents of the empire.

This empire and the people have a staunch hatred of magic users. Children are taught to fear and despise the creatures that have access to them. It is so widespread that most people avoid direct contact with someone who was in direct contact or in their presence. Although for Eiren, everything is complete stupidity. Most magical creatures have culture, language, and even social structures as complex as humans. They deserve respect. Although he apparently feels alone in that thought.

After chatting for a while he puts his beer aside then watches Aerlin. He notices in her a special closeness. Even though he had never seen her, Eiren feels the same as when he is around his Enclave brothers and sisters. He evokes a very specific affection when he is around them which does not happen the same with other humans.

Her thoughts are interrupted when Aerlin suddenly places her empty mug on the table.

'This is exquisite. But we must receive the mission,' Aerlin says, sighing at the end of the sentence.

Eiren nods approvingly and sets the half-drunk jug on the table. The two retreat through the front door of the inn, putting on their hoods and disappearing into the mist.

 


I hope the story suits you and you can enjoy it, I plan to be able to publish 1 to 2 times a week. Thank you and please, correct me if i do some bad wording. This is not my primary language. Make it an entertaining read! Sincerely, Camilo S.

 

 

 

1