Ep. 1: The Witching Begins
138 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bubbles.

Where were the bubbles?

All of the herbal extracts were there, sure. The color was nice, and the aroma was pleasant.

But where were the bubbles??

Serendipity stood puzzling over their cauldron, stroking their chin and tapping their foot as the liquid concoction swirled around lazily. Apparently an extra ingredient would be needed to bring this liquid to life, but what could that ingredient be?

Serendipity whirled around to examine the shelves behind them. They quickly sifted through various bottles and jars, looking for something potent enough to incite the reaction they were hoping for. As they flitted from shelf to shelf, scrutinizing the various fruits, herbs, oils, and stones, they caught a glimpse of something curious outside the far window. The berry bush outside their window appeared to be sporting... bunny ears?

The bunny ears suddenly withdrew into the bush with a gasp and a quick *fwush!* sound. Serendipity put down the spices they were holding and quietly stepped over to the front door. The cauldron would have to wait a moment.

Moving slowly and quietly, Serendipity crept out into the moonlight and over to the suspicious berry bush. Reaching into the leaves, they braced themselves for a moment, and then separated the branches in a flash. 

"AHH!!"

A small figure squealed and tumbled backwards out of the bush. Landing in a heap on the cobblestone path, she hugged herself and knelt at Serendipity's feet.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm-"

"Woah-hoh! Hello there!" Serendipity piped up. "Are you looking for some popberries? There's plenty around, help yourself!"

The small rabbit stopped apologizing and looked up in confusion, readjusting her glasses. "No I was- I uh, wanted... I, um-"

"I tell you what, these things have a kick!" Serendipity continued, picking a berry and admiring it, "A little of these will go a long way."

Suddenly, Serendipity's eyes widened and their ears perked up. "Wait a minute. Of course!!"

The bunny-eared visitor simply stared. Serendipity reached down and hoisted her up into the air.

"You're a genius!!" Serendipity declared. "I forgot all about these! Thank you so much, uhhh-...?"

Realizing she was being prompted for a name, the rabbit stammered, "Oh-uh I'm, I-uh..."

Her eyes wandered as she thought for a moment. Serendipity waited patiently, still carrying her.

"Prim! I'm Prim! Short for Primrose!" Prim finally got out, nodding rapidly and swallowing hard.

"Primrose! A beautiful name!" Serendipity responded with a toothy grin, making Prim blush and readjust her glasses. "My name is Serendipity. You can call me Dipity for short."

Prim nodded and stammered, "I'll just-I'll uh... hmm..." She thought for a moment. "...Can I call you Seren?"

Serendipity's mouth fell open. Prim's blood ran cold and she started to apologize again before Serendipity piped up.

"I love it!! Another genius idea!"

Prim blushed again and looked away. Seren hoisted her up higher and began spinning around.

"You would make quite the witch, little Prim!" Seren sang sweetly.

Prim's eyes lit up. "That's-that's right! I'm a witch in training!" Prim explained, puffing out her cheeks in a tough, serious expression.

"You-! But-!" Seren started, standing still again and examining the rabbit they were holding up, "Where is your hat??"

Prim sighed, letting the air out of her cheeks. "My mom says I can't be a witch. She says witches are nothing but trouble..."

Prim eyed Seren's impressive witch hat. It had to have been the biggest hat she'd ever seen. It was so wide that it blocked out the moonlight, blanketing the two of them in shadow. "I used to have a witch hat but my mom threw it away."

Seren took a deep breath and set Prim back down on the cobblestone.

"Well then..." they began, adjusting their hat, "what do you say we go inside and take a look at the cauldron?"

Prim hopped up and down. "Wha-... really?!"

Seren strode back over to the front door and held it open for their guest. "After you, Prim. And bring some of those popberries in with you!"

Prim squeaked and started picking berries.

 

---***---

11