Prologue 1.3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Julie’s desk was exceptionally clean compared to Gracey’s. Everything had its place and it’s place was where it went. There was even a neat file organizer for not yet finished paperwork.  

Gracey picked up the entire telephone from her desk and placed it on the small elevated surface that acted as a wall between her work area and the general public. Leaning against it, he lifted the receiver to his ear and spoke to the idiot on the other line. 

“This is Deputy Gracey.”

“Good evening, sir.”

“It was until I was told to take this call.”

“Ours was good before we needed to make it, sir,” the kid on the other line stated.

“I bet… Well? What is it you’re calling from the Ashbrook Castle for?”

“Miss Julie didn’t tell you?”

“I wanna hear it from you. Humor me.”

“We found a body.  Well, two of them actually…”

“You’re not the reason they're dead, are you?”

“Me?!?” The kid’s voice cracked over the line. “No way! I couldn’t do that!” 

“What’s your name, kid?”

“My name?...Liam”

“Liam what?”

“Pardon?”

“Your family name, Liam?”

“Quinn, sir. Liam Quinn.”

Irish, huh? “And what exactly are you and whoever’s with you - I assume the conversation in the background is other people next to you - at the Castle?” 

“I was… look, am I in trouble?”

“Not yet. Do you think you’re in trouble?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never called the police before.” 

“First time for everything. Just the times we’re livin’ in… You haven’t answered my question yet.”

“It's a competition. To stay in the Haunted Ashbrook Castle.”

Gracey cursed. “I’ll be up there.” He slammed the phone down with a huff and turned away. 

It took a few seconds for him to realize that he used Julie’s phone… and she was sitting at her desk. Her glare was the first thing he saw when he turned back around, fingers still in his hair. 

“Sorry, Julie. Forgot you were there,” he said sheepishly. 

“I’d expect you did. Do you need the telephone again, or can I have it back?”

“Yea, you can have it back. I’ll go use the office phone to call Lawrence.” He had trouble looking her in the eyes as he handed her back the phone. 

“Good. It’d be too much if you went back to that castle on your own while there’s still a killer on the loose.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Go one then. If there’s a body, then you don’t want to take your time.”

“Isn’t that the truth.”

He went back to his office and called Deputy Lawrence on the office phone.

0