2/The Great Night
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ No one knows that day or that hour, not even the angels of heaven, not even the Son, but only the Father ] (Matthew 24:36).

Everywhere in the world the light had given way to darkness in the sky, hearts and minds, the moon covering the sun with orange and red contours. And that in thousands of cities blood was already flowing, the monsters making a real carnage. Civilians were trying to flee the cities in panic, creating huge traffic jams that quickly turned into huge free buffets for the monsters. The monsters came to devour them in their vehicles, which could not protect them from danger. 

They also took refuge in buildings, basements and skyscrapers, but it was useless, no hiding place could protect them. Helicopters and airplanes crashed by the hundreds attacked by flying monsters. These crashes themselves caused victims on the ground, or in the buildings that flew into pieces. The boats also attacked by small aquatic monsters.

"Close the door!" Shouted one man to another in panic.

"But there are still people outside." He replied.

"They're being chased look! If you don't close the fucking door, you're condemning us to death!" he shouted.

The man still took the time to wait for the other survivors, but when the door closed the creatures chasing them had managed to get in, locking them in with the monsters. Screams of pain and panic rang out, blood now flowing from under the door.

While others wandered the cities looking for shelter, or others who were disoriented. A young girl with a stuffed animal in her hand walked weeping through the streets already littered with corpses. Until a monster pierced her small chest, preventing her from breathing and paralyzing her with pain. The stuffed animal then fell to the ground before the blood of the girl who was being devoured came to stain it.

If a word could describe what was happening on earth at that time, that word would be hell. Where men would die devoured, burned, crushed, a world of endless suffering.

While conventional weapons hardly worked at all. Only high-caliber weapons such as explosives seemed to be able to kill them. The army of all countries then started to march on the cities to try to eradicate the threat. The multiple explosions then multiplied by 3 by 4 by 5 in all the cities of the world.

The only way to kill the monsters in a final push of resistance. The army succeeded in reducing the number of monsters in the cities and victory was within reach. But at the end of the second day, the majority of the armies had been completely decimated, leaving the populations to fend for themselves. 

This sudden collapse of the army was caused by the appearance of what was called: Bosses. These monsters were stronger and more resistant than normal monsters, and therefore more difficult to kill. Thus the army was almost reduced to nothing, these two days marking the moment when humanity stumbled and began to sink into despair.

The people were left to their own devices and beyond escaping the remaining monsters they had to provide for their basic needs:

Feeding and hydrating oneself was always a perilous and expensive mission in human life.

2rd day / 23 : 30 

Those who had survived, for some had established ration groups charged with going out and finding food. 

"It's your turn to go out and get food today!" (Man)

"What no it's Sully's to do!" (Man)

"Sully never came back yesterday Robert so today it's your turn!" (Man)

"He didn't come back!" (Robert)

"No unfortunately." (Man)

"Damn it! Give me the bag." (Robert)

This small group of survivors was hiding in an underground cellar. The man then carefully opened the trap door to check for monsters in the area. Once he had confirmed that he could get out, he went out. Then he went to the place where they were rationing, a small store that was 3 blocks away from their hiding place.

The man moved with extreme caution and without the slightest noise. The streets were still lit thanks to the automated electrical network, but who knows how long that would last. These same streets were strewn with multiple corpses or destroyed by the previous fights.

He finally arrived at the last intersection towards the store, which he could see in the distance. He surveyed the area and didn't see a single monster around. Always cautious he walked along the walls and cars, finally arriving at the store.

"Great!" He said as he entered.

He then began to fill his bag with groceries browsing multiple shelves. Moving forward, he shook with horror when he discovered the half-eaten body of Sully in one of the shelves.

"Shit!" He thought as he discovered the corpse.

He then took cover because the only thing it meant was that there was a monster in the store. And it wasn't long before he saw the monster. A white humanoid monster, stained with blood with multiple mouths on its body.

Robert slowly backed away, there was no point in staying any longer, his bag already full of supplies. But he inadvertently knocked over a bottle from a shelf that broke.

The creature then got up quickly and moved in the direction of the sound. Robert had stopped and crouched down without a sound.

"This creature seems to be moving towards the sound I didn't see any eyes so I just have to stay and do no movements." He thought.

The creature then came to the intersection of the store aisle where he was standing, his breathing becoming heavier and his heart racing. The creature didn't seem to have eyes as he had thought.

But the creature stayed around the corner of the store aisle leaning in a little more as if it could see him. While Robert had remained motionless but at a safe distance. On the white skin of the creature an eye opened suddenly. The gaze fixed on Robert who had remained motionless, in the look became horrified.

"Damn it!" Said he as he started to run towards the exit.

The creature then began to chase him breaking the door of the store he had already passed. It was very fast, too fast even. And in a short time it caught up with him, giving him a violent blow. Who sent him to be embedded in a wall, wounding him in multiple places. The creature now taking its time to move towards him.

"Damn, I'm really going to die in this rotten place..." He thought again stunned by the hit.

The creature now standing over him, a large mouth with sharp teeth began to open slowly. Still stunned and facing his own death, the man made a decision: to fight to the end.

He then angrily rose to strike the creature, a blow that had no effect and the mouth closed on his arm. Blood flowed as his limb was violently severed. He cried out in pain, holding his limb, as the mouth opened again.

Adrenaline took over the pain he try to ignored. The determined man threw his fist with all his remaining strength at the creature.

"Take that you dirty bastard!" he shouted at the top of his voice

Midnight!

The man's fist then blew half the creature's body apart and it collapsed to the ground. He himself, surprised and thinking he was dying, looked at the now lifeless body of the creature, as he felt his body grow stronger. A new energy flowing through his veins.

While on the other side of the planet Lucas, who until then had been hiding in the police station, was also being attacked by the monsters. Who were already devouring several other policemen. And when one of the creatures threw himself on him, in a strange instinct he tore off his jaw.

And all over the world others were also succeeding in killing monsters. So on the third day, humanity regained hope, because when you stumble, you can always get up again.

[ Indeed, I say to you in this day and hour you are born again ] (1 Peter 1:23).

-----------------

You can read the next chapters on Patreon.

0