Chapter 2: Research and an audience
617 0 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We have spent the last few days researching. And we've learned quite a lot. I've mainly been focusing on historical records, some are quite different than the others. To name a few there's "The Commoner girl and her Prince", and "The evil stepmother, fairies and prince charming." From what I can tell people with animal traits called demi-humans are quite common in these records, but what also surprises me is that these records depicts our situation a lot. There have been many princesses and princes being poisoned in attempted coups. How can they let it happen again after all these times? 

There are also a few historical books on our empire. It's called the Empyrean Empire and our father is Emperor Regulus. The empire is split into different dominions, or fiefdoms. There are 3 dukes, and a vast amount of different nobles. There are apparently 28 million people living in our empire, and most of them are commoners. Our mother died a few years ago of an illness, apparently healing magic couldn't cure what ailed her. It seems the theory and knowledge of magic in this world isn't as superior as me and my sisters knowledge of our domains.

I've spent the last few hours scouring the nobles and their dominion, and I've come to the conclusion that the one who poisoned us is either Duke Ferdinand, or Duke Hillroy. I will have to do further research on them to understand their nature, maybe I'll ask our father.

"Atla."

"Hmm? Oh, what is it Em?"

"I think I've figured out a way to restore our link."

Oh, now that is good news. All this talking is quite tedious. I nod at my sister and she begins to focus on this unknown type of magic inside us. I can feel her consciousness find it's way towards mine, waiting for me to let it in.

"Atla? Can you hear me?"

"Yes. This is a much better form of communication, my goddess."

Satisfied with our result, we each allocate certain piles of books each to research.

"Atla, this book called "The Commoner Girl and her Prince", did you read it as a historical record?"

"Hm? Yes, I've been trying to keep an open mind and read as many books as possible. At the moment I've read 381 books since we woke up."

"Atla...that is not a historical record, that is a work of fiction. I believe they call it a "fantasy novel"."

Oh my. What would I do without my dear sister. We spend the next half an hour to sort out the different books into piles of fiction and historical records, luckily there's only been around 25 books that are works of fiction. That is quite the blunder on my part.

"Oh, Atla, you should also read this one, it's a book on world history. It seems this world was created by the Moon Goddess of Creation."

Hm? Why does that name sound familiar? "Em, does that name also sound familiar to you?" My sister nods at me, but we can't figure out if it's a memory of our bodies, or our former selves.

"It seems this world is called Alteus. There are a multitude of smaller kingdoms, but the biggest one is our Empyrean Empire, and the Kingdom of Hope to the west. It was founded by a man named Igrit, who claims to have hailed from another world. I deem the topic of Igrit to be of great importance to unraveling how we found ourselves here. Maybe he hails from the same world as we do."

Sadly our father seems quite overprotective, and neither of us have had a chance to interact with other people. We have an audience with our father tomorrow, so things might change after that, but for now we're shoring up inside our room to read more books.


It is the the day after our telepathic link has been restored, and we're on our way to meet our father. We are both wearing dresses in colours befitting our hair and eyes. I was told by a maid that only when you succeed the throne can you wear the royal purple that we saw our father wearing at our awakening.

Our castle is quite grand, and it's apparent the architect paid attention to details. Most of the rooms are uniform, with ashen coloured walls and flooring, made out of something called "ashstone". There are a lot of details and undertones in red and gold, and I must say it all fits together quite nicely. From what I read the uniform design is to cause intruders and assassins to become slightly disoriented, and the inner court of the castle is off-limits to most servants, only accessible to the trusted as to minimize risk of the layout being leaked.

After a few minutes of walking we're standing outside a massive door made out of darksteel. There are four intricate figures made out of gold. A human, a Phoenix, a Dragon, and an Angel. I do not yet know the meaning of these, as our research has mostly been focused on our empire, and the workings of this worlds magic. Something to research I suppose.

The two knights standing outside the door open them, and they announce our arrival. What lay before us is the throne room, where our father receives official guests and ambassadors, aswell as nobles seeking an audience. The throne room breaks the design of what we've currently seen. The floor is made of large polished marble tiles, and the walls of cobblestone with runic engravings. Along the walls run marble pillars at equal intervals. From the door to the throne on the raised platform before us lays a red carpet with gold trimmings. And atop the raised platform stands a throne made out of a type of wood. I must say it looks quite regal.

"Ah, my daughters. At first I wanted to have this in the comfort of a tea room or my office, but since both of you are now 15 years old, a visit to the throne room seems appropriate." His expression changes from the fatherly warm look he had when we woke up, to a more serious expression.

"Atlantica Azuris Empyrea. Ember Fervis Empyrea. As you are both now of age, you are officially deemed my successors. If I die, or when I abdicate the throne, it goes to Atlantica. With this official proclamation your royal tasks will be assigned. You are for the next five years to assist me with ruling this country, whilst you both attend the Royal Academy where you will learn how to efficiently rule, and develop your magic and how to lead in battle. After these five years you are both to be assigned each your domain, where you will rule until the time of succession is upon us. Is this understood?"

We both nod at our father. He nods back with a satisfied expression before gesturing towards the scribe at the corner of the room.

"Well, now that official business is over, come, let's eat dinner together. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to visit you two since you woke up, but the incident caused quite a lot of trouble within the nobility, and I've had to focus on that. For the next two months until your enrollment at the academy, I promise we'll spend more time together."

We both walk up to our father and each take one of our his outstretched hands, as we make our way to the dining room.
This world may be unfamiliar, but I think we can both agree that the warmth this man gives us is something we both like.

"Em, I'm quite curious as to how our lives will be, but I think I can come to like it here."

"Me too Atla."

28