Episode 13: Thousand Nights
450 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following few hours were a total whirlwind for Ash as Magnolia dragged him from one high rise to another in an effort to ‘get him looking presentable’. It was a completely different world for the Midgard boy, filled with the shiny lights that for the past week had only been unreachable stars to the cold streets below. Of course, while he was severely off of his game, his blonde handler was in her element. Magnolia tossed around orders to the professionals like it was natural, and no matter how obscene the point cost rose the Asgardian didn’t hesitate for a second to pour points down the drain like it was water.

“Just so we’re clear,” Ash adjusted his tie while looking out the window of the car Magnolia had requested. Night had long since fallen upon Valhalla, but he had never been one to enjoy the nightlife. Not that the home of the Valkyries had a particularly sleazy underbelly, the limits of what businesses were allowed to do focused mainly on the young girls that populated VEA academy rather than the losers and vice seekers of Midgard. “I’m not going to be in your debt because of this right?”

“Hm, yes and no. Considering this to be a ‘loan’ would be unsavory. A far more accurate word would be an investment,” the girl declared before slapping his hands from his outfit. “And would you stop fiddling with your clothes? The tailor fitted them just right and if you keep that up you’re going to ruin them.”

“Well sorry about that,” he muttered under his breath, but it really couldn’t be helped. Ash had grown used to wearing VEA’s uniform, but this expensive suit was a completely different matter entirely. “I feel like a dressed up monkey.”

“I can’t deny that the image fits,” Magnolia hummed, causing Ash to wince. Ow. “But that impression is only natural when you act so uncomfortable in it.”

“...And I have no idea how you can wear this kind of stuff without batting an eye.” The vintrkind glanced over at his companion, who wore a dark blue one piece dress that sparkled like a gemstone and silk gloves that fit her hands as if she was born with them. Ash couldn’t deny that she looked quite pretty in it, especially with the sheer amount of confidence Magnolia oozed. It was to the point where the cool air of their ride was only partially due to the AC unit. “Is this just an Asgard thing?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. While I have had experience since a young age, anyone can look good as long as they know how to handle themselves.” The blonde denied with a wave of her hands, before looking thoughtfully at the boy. “If it helps, there is something my mother told me during my first debut.”

“What’s that?”

“If you don’t suit the clothes, the clothes will never suit you,” Magnolia declared. “Act with confidence, keep your head held high no matter what. Never make any mistakes or slip ups, and if you do never let it show. If you always conduct yourself in a manner befitting of a Ha- the clothes you're wearing, then no one will ever be able to find fault with you.”

The white haired boy tried his damndest to keep his hands still as he digested the words. “...So basically, just keep my cool?”

“If that’s how you wish to see it, then yes,” his handler said. “Given your usual mannerisms, if you follow my lead then you’ll avoid making a disgrace of both this evening.”

The car slowly came to a sudden stop as the driver spoke up. “We’ve arrived.”

“I see, thank you for your service.” Magnolia nodded before turning back his way. “Now, remember what I said and put it into practice.”

“...Right.” Ash swallowed the nervous feeling in his stomach as a woman in a suit walked over to the door and opened it- On his side fuck. There was a moment of silence before his ‘date’ for the evening discreetly nudged him with her arm. A deep wintery breath calmed his racing heart as the vintrkind stepped outside, feeling the night air brush against his skin. Ash was getting looks, he just noticed. Was he screwing up already? No, he just needed to keep his cool like always and… What was he supposed to do next? On instinct, he turned back around towards his handler and held out his hand in a manner he had only seen in fiction before.

Their eyes met and Ash’s body froze both literally and figuratively, before Magnolia eventually gave an amused smile before taking his hand and stepping out into the night herself. “A bit overtop, but passable.”

“Thanks.” He nodded curtly, trying to keep his mouth shut as much as possible as he turned towards the building they had stopped at, reading the sign written in elegant glass. “Thousand Nights… A restaurant?”

“Of a sort.” Magnolia nodded, before desperately trying to keep her trademark scowl off her face. “But don’t look at it like that. If what I’ve heard about it is true, then we’re not going to be partaking in delicacies tonight.”

Ash suppressed his stomach’s grumbles before following the Asgardian in through the glass doors. Delightful smells assaulted the young boy’s nose as Magnolia approached the counter unhesitatingly. “Reservation for two, under the name Hale. Top floor.”

“Top floor? May I please see your ID?” She quickly flashed them her data pad and they nodded, before beginning to move. Moments later, a young girl in a suit greeted them with a smile. Something about her tickled at the edges of Ash’s senses, but he didn’t have any time to think about it before she held up a silver platter. Sitting on top of it were two decorative masks, the kind you’d be more likely to see in a costume party than in real life. “Thank you for coming today! Before we go up, please use these to protect your identities.”

Ash really doubted that the tiny pieces of fabric would prevent people from spotting him by his hulking frame, but he and Magnolia quickly placed them on their faces. After another quirky addition to his already unusual state of dress, the two trainees followed their guide past the first floor and into a decorative golden elevator. The doors slid shut behind them, and in the tense silence that followed all Ash could do was take a wintry breath and observe the world around him as the floor number ticked up and up. Neither of the two girls he was standing next to seemed to be as anxious as he was. He supposed it was only natural for the one that worked here but- Ah.

In a moment it clicked, why their guide seemed out of place. She was too young to be a staff member. Perhaps if this was a regular city, such circumstances wouldn’t seem out of place, but this was Valhalla, and the girl in the suit seemed to be as young as they were. As discreetly as he could possibly do, Ash leaned over to Magnolia. “Is she-”

“A student?” The guide glanced over to them with a light laugh. “Yep! I’m a second year at VEA, a Valkyrie trainee just like you two. While the front we put up on the bottom floor is worked by regular staff members, the real Thousand Nights is entirely student operated.”

‘Real’ Thousand Nights?

Magnolia huffed. “It’s a way to avoid supervision from the staff. Such an establishment is in a rather gray area for Valhalla.”

“While it’s frowned upon, none of our services are strictly against student policy so feel free to enjoy yourself as much as you want.” There was a loud ding as the elevator came to an abrupt stop. Soon the doors opened with a dazzling light as their guide gave them a bow as they stepped onto the top floor. “We hope tonight will be the one you’ve been waiting for.”

Lights and sounds bombarded Ash, burning into his eyes as he took in the sights. Everywhere he looked there was a Valkyrie trainee, either dressed up as a staff member or a customer crowded around one of the many tables that littered Thousand Nights. The sound of jingling coins and the chattering crowd drowned out even his own footsteps, but once the initial shock had passed and he realized just what kind of establishment Thousand Nights was, a wave of relaxation washed through him.

“A casino?” He commented, glancing over from the holographic slot machines to the dealers dishing out actual, physical cards. Like everything in Asgard, there was a certain extravagance that permeated throughout the gambling den, even the parts that were flashy were classy. Still, it was in some parts a relief for the Midgard boy. “I thought we’d be attending a fancy party.”

“Don’t let your guard down just yet.” Magnolia subtly gestured to some of the other patrons, whose masks were barely hiding the glaces being thrown their way. Ash nodded before letting the frost freeze his nerves and following the blonde girl through the halls. “But you are correct, Thousand Nights as I’ve been informed, is one of the ‘hidden delights’ of Vahalla that Valkyrie Trainees like to enjoy. Working for a thousand days only to lose it one night... While one can’t gamble away their points, anything and everything else that one possesses is free game.”

Which basically meant that patrons could buy items that had point value and use it to gamble here, or the other way around and make a profit. It was a legal loophole that he had occasionally seen once or twice in the palors of Midgard, not technically gambling in the legal sense, but the spirit of it was still there. No wonder the guide had said it was frowned upon by VEA. For a school that prided itself on it’s meritocracy, such an establishment where someone could get the necessary points through luck as a gambler rather than skill as a Valkyrie must’ve ticked them off something fierce. Naturally that raised the question of just how Thousand Nights was able to operate without being instantly shut down even if they were abusing the rules to hell and back, but something in Magnolia’s wording caught Ash’s attention before he could dwell on it further.

“ ‘As you’ve been informed’?” he repeated with a questioning gaze. “Is this your first time here as well?”

Magnolia’s head whipped around so that her clear blue eyes could burn a hole into his body. “Of course! While I know the rules to the games, I have no interest in hedonistic pleasures like gambling. Why, I might as well throw the question back at you, as you look far more composed then the nervous wreck who greeted me at the door.”

“...Well, I’ve been inside a casino before, more or less. But it wasn’t legal for me to gamble in Midgard.” And even when he did turn of age, Ash was pretty sure he and Kyouko were already on some sort of blacklist. That had not been a good day. “Don’t worry, I don’t have that kind of vice.”

“Hm?” The blonde stared at him dubiously. “You say that as if you do have a vice I should be aware of.”

“That’s none of your business.” Even if this was a ‘date’, they weren’t close enough that he was willing to disclose what he was into. If she pressed, he was going to say food and leave it at that. “If we’re not here to gamble, then shouldn’t we get down to business?”

“Right. Though speaking of Anemone, there’s something you should be aware of first.” Magnolia sighed. “I’m not expecting much, but how aware are you of Yggdrasil’s founding?”

Ash didn’t see what that had to do with anything but, “Jotun showed up and destroyed the Old World, so humanity created Yggdrasil and migrated to it.”

“That’s the simplified summary we teach to children, but at least it’s not absolutely nothing.” Hey he wasn’t that uneducated. Just how low did Magnolia think of him? “To expand upon that, during the migration, the elites of the old world were put in charge of ruling over Yggdrasil and thus created the realm of Asgard. With their technology and status, they proclaimed themselves gods over men and took pride in their titles as the ‘saviors of humanity’. Asgardians, the ones that had not ascended from the lower realms anyways, have continued to take pride in being their descendants. But three hundred years is a long time, and when you’re born and raised wanting for nothing… Well, do I have to spell it out for you?”

No, she didn’t. The ‘problem’ of Asgard that Magnolia had mentioned before was plain to see when it was spelled out like this. “They grew complacent.”

“Correct.” Her mask did little to disguise the disgusted look on Magnolia’s face. “Corruption and hedonism have rotted the noble families of Asgard. We Hales have kept to the duty entrusted upon our line, but families like the Montagues… Well, the Montagues are one of the worst offenders of them all, being the leader of this so-called ‘Decadence Faction’ that has so infected the heart of Asgard.”

It was a little unsettling to realize how thoroughly their leaders were drenched in worldly pleasures, but it certainly did a lot to explain Midgard. As above, so below and all that. Not that he ever really had faith in the authorities in the first place so Magnolia’s revelation didn’t shatter his worldview too badly. “And we’re about to confront the daughter of these Montagues herself.”

“That’s why I have to warn you not to underestimate her.” Magnolia nodded seriously, with a hiss. “Hedonistic as they are, the Montagues aren’t a major family for no reason. That’s not something that just happens, let alone becoming an A-Ranked Wing Candidate. She may appear flashy and flirtatious on the surface, but the moment you get swept into her flow you’ll find yourself washed out in the blink of an eye.”

There was something about the way Magnolia said those words that seemed to be a bit too heated for general disdain. Ash thought about it for a moment before suddenly the memory of how she acted in their duel came back to him. Ah, when he put it like that… “Speaking from personal experience?”

“No.” The blonde angrily denied, though her body language told another story. Magnolia grit her teeth before clicking her tongue. “We have a bit of history, and while I will never forgive her, it's nothing major. But enough of that.”

Magnolia quickly brushed off her contradictory statement before gesturing to a table seated at the very center of the room. “We’ve found her.”

‘Found’ was understating it. Anemone Montague sat at the very center of attention, as if there was a spotlight trained on her. Just like the last time Ash had seen her, Anemone was wearing heavy make up with her purple dress cut in a way that blatantly exposed her skin. All eyes were on her as she flippantly looked at the cards in her hand, taking her sweet time with the game, not caring about the other players at the table. Lipstick smeared lips pursed before she smiled. “Hit.”

The dealer silently tossed another card her way and the entire table groaned as she flipped the rest of her cards and gave an apologetic smile. “Well ladies, looks like that’s a bust for me.”

Her laugh portrayed how little she actually cared, probably because the amount of chips that towered around her was quite frankly obscene. The tiny stack she had to pay barely made a dent in her winnings. Was it just a spot of bad luck on an otherwise fruitful night, then? No, the way her liliac eyes watched the rest of the round with an amused look said otherwise. Anemone’s gaze was void of surprise, even as the girls around her cheered. As if she already knew what the outcome would be. Once the game had ended, his handler wasted no time in walking straight up to the table, causing Anemone to grin and clap her hands. “Magnolia! What a surprise to see you in a place like this! How long has it been? I haven’t seen you since Amber’s birthday celebration!”

“Six months ago, yes,” Magnolia said tactfully. “Apologies for that, I was busy preparing for my entrance into Valhalla. Being a Wing Candidate is quite the responsibility, as I’m sure you would know.”

If Anemone took offense to the implication, it didn’t show on her face. “Always the dutiful one, hm? I always did say you needed to relax a little, all that stress isn’t good for your skin.”

She leaned back before glancing Ash’s way causing her smile to grow wider. “And if it isn’t Vahalla’s male Valkyrie himself, the one causing quite a stir in our little corner of the world. You prefer to be called Vargr, right? We didn’t exactly get to talk last time we met, so I do hope you’ll keep me company tonight.”

How did she- No, it didn’t really matter. It was the first time someone other than Kyouko actually called him by that name, but for some reason when it left Anemone’s lips all it did was deepen his already frigid impression of her. “Call me Ash.”

“Enough with the false pleasantries.” Magnolia crossed her arms and gave the girls sitting at the table a look. “You know why we’re here Montague.”

“Well, if you insist on ruining the mood. Shizuka, be a dear and cash in my winnings for tonight.” Anemone asked- No, it was more of an order to a black haired girl whose face was obscured behind long bangs and thick glasses. Shizuka quietly nodded, but not before the messy blonde took a chip off the top of her stack and flicked it towards the dealer who caught it with ease. “And you can keep this one for yourself, thanks for the evening.”

The Midgard boy highly doubted that was an act of gratitude, but kept silent as Anemone guided them over to one of the dining tables where a lone girl with pink hair sat, sipping on a fancy wine glass whose contents were clearly just soda pop. “Sit, sit. Mimosa here has been keeping the table for us the entire night by herself. It’s been real lonely for her, isn’t that right?”

Her groupie barely even acknowledged the reply as Ash glanced back over at the gambling floor and muttered to himself, “A clear view from here huh…”

He saw how it is now, though no one even gave him a second glance as Magnolia scoffed. “I think we’ll remain standing.”

“Your loss, but don’t just decide things for poor Ash. Men don’t like controlling women.” Anemone gestured towards him before winking. “Well? Won’t you take a seat? There’s an open spot right next to me~”

“Sorry, but no,” The Vintrkind coldly denied with a shake of his head.

“Boo.” The bubblegum haired girl blandly decried as she checked her data pad.

“Oh, you’re just as frigid as they say.” Anemone batted her eyes while placing a hand to her chest. “But that’s okay, we have all the time in the world to get to know each other.”

“There is not going to be any of that,” Magnolia snapped. “If you’re as well aware as you let on then you should know that Ash here is my responsibility. That little stunt of yours is equivalent to slighting the Hale name.”

“As if I need to try in order to do that,” the flashy girl drawled. “Besides. Stunt? You make it sound so negative. I was just greeting him, that’s all. I’ll admit that things didn’t turn out quite as I expected, but that’s hardly my fault now is it?”

“If you wanted to make a good impression, you failed,” the white haired boy growled. “Miserably.”

“Now that’s where you’re mistaken. I wasn’t trying to make a good impression on you, no no no.” Anemone shook her head. “No, that was a test to see if you would impress me. How’d you fare in our little switcheroo anyways?”

“...We passed.” Technically. “But we’re banned from using the simulators again.”

“Truly? The Sydney Reclamation is one of the more difficult Giant-Class Simulations. To pass, and on the first go at that…” She licked her lips. “Say, how is Magnolia treating you? Not well I imagine. I have an offer for you. How would you like me to become your handler instead?”

The girl in question flared. “Montague, don’t you dare!”

“Oh, and why not? You aren’t his master after all.” Anemone retorted before turning to Ash. “How about it? It won’t take much, just a word here and there from me and it’ll be done. Instead of this stuck up who leaves you to fend for yourself, my sponsorship can provide you more than sufficient service to reach whatever rank you desire.”

It was around this time that the gloomy girl from earlier had quietly rejoined them at the table, only to suddenly be grabbed as Anemone held her close and began to stroke her cheek. “Shizuka here is also someone who I’m sponsoring. I loan her points, resources, even unlimited access to the A-Rank Facilities, lodging and all. All she has to do is listen to what I say and do what I tell her. Isn’t that right?”

Shizuka nodded quietly, though Ash wondered how much of it was from her free will. Probably not much, he could read between Anemone’s lines. Ash adjusted the collar of his suit, this time purposefully showcasing the circular scar that ran around his neck. “Pass. I’ve got no interest in collaring myself to someone else’s whims.”

“Now don’t be like that.” The hedonistic asgardian let go of her groupie while pouting. “Shizuka can leave my service anytime she wishes.”

“She won’t.” Because the unspoken implication was that Anemone would also withdraw all of her support and abandon her like a used up toy. It was a common tactic he had seen in Midgard, where money flowed like lifeblood. Human greed was ravenous and had no bottom. When a person’s living situation rose, they could no longer be satisfied with the life they had before. The thought alone terrifies them, and they would do anything to avoid that fate. To those who held power and wealth, it was trivially easy to get them to swallow their pride and chain themselves with their own vices until they were nothing more than a slave. “I’d rather stick with Magnolia’s investment than the shackles you call loans.”

“Suit yourself.” Anemone gave a blase wave as she let go of the meek girl. “If you ever feel like reconsidering, the offer is always open. I don’t mind, stressing myself over every bad hand I’m dealt would mean I’d never leave the red. But that does bring us to an interesting conundrum.”

She rested her chin on her hands, obscuring the lower half of her face. “So, if you’re not here to talk, nor willing to take me up on my offer, just what do you hope to accomplish here? Or were you really willing to walk away empty handed tonight?”

“To settle the score.” Ash declared bluntly, ice shooting through his veins as he recalled the sight of the aftermath. He clenched his fists until his knuckles turned white as snow. “You bared your fangs towards me, so I’ll do the same.”

“Declaring war is premature when you don’t have the means to do anything.”

“I don’t have to, this is our ultimatum. It’s either you settle things with us or Miss Rivers will start hunting you down in a week.”

“So Outlaw Justice decided to get involved then?” Anemone clicked her tongue in annoyance. “That loose cannon would be a pain to deal with.”

“What arrogance, Montague,” Magnolia brushed her hair aside. “Even with your family’s influence, do you really think that you can merely ‘deal’ with a Valhalla teacher? You’re a Wing Candidate sure, but fly too close to the sun and your wings will burn away before you know it.”

“Oh but it’s that gamble that makes life worth living, Magnolia!” She chuckled. “Though you seem to be under the impression I’d be so bold as to directly challenge the staff. For shame, violence isn’t always the answer, you know? Not that I’d expect a headstrong girl like you to realize that… Especially true for you, wolf boy. Even if you try to keep your cool, I can see that you’re practically boiling with rage.”

Anemone tapped the table in her usual leisurely manner before suddenly her face brightened. “Ah! Well, if reparations won’t do then how about we settle this with a little game?”

The Vintrkind suppressed a twitch. “A game?”

“One I’m sure you know very well.” The messy blonde pushed herself off the table before walking over to Ash and grabbing his hand, pulling him towards her. His nose drowned in her thick perfume even as he took a step back. “You want to settle the score? Then we’ll do it like proper Valkyries. A duel, one week from now, domination battle rules. The girls and I here versus you, Magnolia, and… I suppose you’re free to choose your third member. I won’t even mind if you bring in that Alfheim Wing. Or perhaps that other girl you’re always hanging around with?”

“Let go of him!” Magnolia growled, yanking Ash out of the other Asgardians' grip with surprising strength. “And what’s the catch Montague? This arrangement hardly benefits you.”

“Oh I’ve already stated what I want. If you lose, then you’re to officially step down as Ash’s handler and appoint me as your replacement.” Oh great, he was the betting chip here? “But if your team manages to win… Then I’ll give you enough points for both Ash and that Midgard friend of his to take the C-Rank exam, no strings attached. Really, it’s a win-win for both of you. Ash gets promoted no matter what and for Magnolia, well, I’m sure you find this situation to be quite disagreeable to begin with.”

His handler seethed, only for Mimosa and Anemone to laugh it off. “Of course I’d obviously prefer one outcome over the other, but the risk is oh so thrilling.”

“Risk, huh?” Ash glanced back at the casino floor. “That’s hard to believe from a card counter.”

The gambler’s eyes sharpened, her grin growing predatory before being hidden by her hand. “My, that’s quite the bold claim you’re making.”

“When you were taking your time with the cards, you were calculating the odds weren’t you? You lost, but only because you wanted to draw suspicion off of yourself and the loss would be minimal.” Ash pointed at the suited dealer before gesturing back at the table. “That chip you gave the dealer was a tip to keep her from reporting you. Not to mention that this seat has a clear view of the table; if your friend was sitting in this spot the entire time, then she could give you subtle signals.”

“...Observant, aren’t you? Ah, my interest in you just keeps rising,” Anemone sighed. Although, most of Ash’s knowledge on the subject had to do with Kyouko burning it into her head the one or two times they had been involved in the gambling scene. “I’d appreciate it if you kept quiet on that though. While it’s not strictly against the rules, it is quite frowned upon.”

“That describes this whole facility, Montague,” Magnolia deadpanned. “All of you from the Decadence Faction dance around with our duties and responsibilities in a hedonistic waltz. Were these proper times, such a person like you would not be able to rise to power.”

“That’s the thing Magnolia, times are always changing. What’s wrong with enjoying ourselves?” She replied. “Why even amongst the Hales, I last spotted your father-”

The dutiful Asgardian suddenly burst into action, her sapphire eyes blazing brightly as she threw away all proper decorum and lunged into the other girl’s face. “Do not bring up subjects you have no right to, Anemone!”

The party girl didn’t even bat an eye. “Sorry if I upset you, but in my opinion hedonism is far better than being a hypocrite.”

“Magnolia.” Ash gave a light nudge to his handler. “Remember what you told me? You’re getting caught up in her flow.”

Despite the seething rage that escaped her lips in hot breaths, Magnolia was quick to clamp down on it the moment she realized Anemone was getting under her skin. With a grinding of her teeth, she glared before speaking quietly. “…We’ll accept your offer for a duel. One week from now.”

With a spin of her feet, her blue dress fluttered as Magnolia began to stomp off. “Come on Ash! We’re leaving!”

“So sudden! But that’s Magnolia for you. Oh. and Ash?” Anemone quickly reached for something before flicking her wrist. Something came at him fast as lightning and he instinctively moved to catch it, only to find a playing card sitting between his fingers. “All my contact information is there. Call me~”

The young boy didn't even bother to acknowledge that with a reply as he quickly pocketed the card before dashing towards Magnolia as she reached the elevator. The staff quietly let them step inside, leaving them in an awkward silence before Ash spoke up. “So, that didn’t go so well.”

“It was… Probably the best we could’ve hoped for.” Magnolia’s fist clenched, causing wrinkles through her dress as she clutched it tightly. “Dealing with Anemone is never a pleasant experience.”

The blonde girl sighed, failing to stifle her anger as she looked away. “We’ll have to ramp up your training schedule. You will not disgrace me come next week.”

“Wasn’t particularly planning to,” the boy replied, causing the two to fall back into awkward silence once more before the elevator reached the bottom floor. Ash’s thoughts swirled as he walked, to the point where he didn’t even realize that he had exited Thousand Nights until the cold night air blasted in his face and Magnolia stopped in her tracks.

“…Thanks,” she said quietly, not turning around to face him. “For stopping me from doing something rash and saying that you’d prefer me over Anemone.”

Ash grunted. “It was nothing. I was just being honest.”

“…It wasn’t nothing to me.” Magnolia muttered softly before spinning around to face him, brushing her hair back and putting a hand on her hips. “Anyways! I can’t exactly give you a ride back to that dorm of yours, so this is where we part!”

“Alright.” The Vintrkind gave a shrug. This part of the city was unfamiliar to him, but he was confident enough in his navigating skills that he should make it back to the D-Class dorm before curfew. If curfew hadn’t already passed, that is. “See you tomorrow then?”

“You better be ready! We have a long week ahead of us!” The blonde declared before walking off into the distance with a wave. “Rest well until then!”

Ash stared at her vanishing form before glancing up at the high rise he had just left and letting out a bitter cold laugh. “Work hard for a thousand nights and lose it all in one go… Or suffer for a thousand nights before one day it all pays off.”

The night that he had been waiting for, huh?

Well in the end, whether this turn of events would bring fortune or misfortune would be up to him.

 

Moving was a pain in the ass but now I just got to figure out how not to starve to death...

This chapter's trivia will be in regards to the Thousand Nights Casino. Like Magnolia says, the entire place is student owned, but which student 'owns' it is passed down once the previous owner graduates. It's also not a permanent fixture, it moves from building and during some parts of the year it isn't even open period. Enjoying the hidden delights of Valhalla isn't easy you know? They're like flowers, blooming for a short while only to wither away until the next spring. But one has to be careful when handling them because if VEA decides to weed out it's garden... Well, there won't be another flower viewing festival.

12