Ch.48 Indentured Servitude
67 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The checkpoint was a military camp, fenced within a laser dome. There were large crates piled within, and small buildings made of white metal. Two guards stood outside the main entrance way, guns at the ready. John squeezed his glaive’s handle wondering if they would attack. The two guards nodded at the group as they came closer and gestured for them to go in. Within the camp, a man wearing a suit and tie rushed out of a building and headed towards them.

“We’ve been waiting for you,” he said, his face betraying eagerness and excitement. “Congratulations on making it here. Your group has brought in the most viewership we’ve ever had. Very few people make it all the way to the Checkpoint, no matter the world. This world is harsher than most of them too. I’m Lica, the manager here” he shook each of their hands. The group just let him do as he liked. “Come, let’s have some tea.”

Tea? John almost wanted to laugh. All he wanted to do was get out of here and find Sor Al. He followed after Ara and the others. It was wise not to piss off the man who could call down space ships or laser beams depending on his mood.

His office was a mess, with heaps of files piled around the table and floors. There was only one chair. Lica cleared some of the files off his table. “Sorry about this,” he said. “We’ve just recently begun operations here. Just choose a heap and sit down. Make yourself comfortable.”

They drank their tea while Lica chattered on about some big business deal that was happening the next week between the Conglomerate and Oor. “Ah,” Lica smiled and rubbed his hands together, “I suppose that it’s now time for you to sign your contracts. We’ll be colleagues from now on. Doesn’t that make you excited?”

“Wait! What contracts?” asked Ara.

“Don’t you know? After reaching the checkpoint you get to work for the Asi Conglomerate. You’ll have to sign an indentured servitude contract that lasts for a period of ten years.”

“I thought we’d be set free.”

“Set free?” Lica laughed. “We can’t just set you free. You’re criminals after all, and have to do the time.”

“I’m technically a prisoner of war. Not a criminal,” John said, but the others ignored him. Criminal or prisoner of war, it seemed there wasn’t much of a difference.

“Don’t worry,” Lica said. “The terms of the contract are very generous. You are all extremely skilled to have survived here after all. The Conglomerate will not treat you badly. With the amount we’ll be paying you, you will be able to live in luxury for the rest of your lives.” He placed a digital contract before each of them. “Place your finger at the bottom and say ‘I agree’.”

Ara shrugged. “What choice do we have?”

A blue light scanned John’s face as soon as he put his finger to the digital contract. “I agree,” he said.

“What now?” Ara asked when everyone had finished.

“Now, you go to your new homes. A shuttle will pick you up in a few minutes.”

They boarded the shuttle and entered a starship flying in the planet’s orbit. At least the Conglomerate didn’t skimp on the room, John thought as soon as he entered his living quarters. It was decorated with all sorts of art, paintings on the wall, oddly shaped sculpture and holographic art. There was soothing music in the background, and a big screen on the wall in front of a huge bed that could fit four. There was a little box containing beverages of all types. One whole side of the wall was turned into a display screen, showing the ship’s surroundings. The bathroom was more of what John was used to seeing in his previous life. It used water and steam, shower heads and faucets. There were perfumed soaps, shampoos and oils on the counter. This was just like some five star hotel room back on Earth. There were fresh clothes in the wooden wardrobe, all in his size. They had even gotten him new boots.

John took a bath and then slept peacefully for the first time in ages. When he woke the ship was in hyperspace. The view of hyperspace was very different from the aether. If the aether was like the sea, hyperspace was like an undersea tunnel. It burrowed through the aether, forcefully making tis way to its destination. John could see the rainbow colored walls of the tunnel as the ship flew through. It was very beautiful. John soon grew bored looking at it and went to explore the ship.

John met with the others in the ship’s restaurant.

“How is everyone?” he asked.

“Everything’s great,” said Ara. “After my arrest, the women’s liberation movement on Tata really took off. They’re debating on women’s rights in their parliament now. Things look promising.”

“How’s your family Lin?”

“They’re fine,” Lin smiled. John had never seen him look so relaxed. “I think it’s better if I don’t go back for a while. The nobles are still angry at me. This contract might be a good thing for me.”

“Eh, everything’s fine with us too,” said Big Crow.

“You! Don’t speak on my behalf,” Rose said angrily to Big Crow. “But yeah, everything’s fine. I’m just a little bored without my flamethrower to keep me company.”

“Eh, good riddance.”

John ordered some food from the menu. “What do you think the Conglomerate’s going to make us do?” John had no intention of giving the Conglomerate a good time after what they’d made him go through. He especially blamed them for Karamen’s death. He had decided to destroy them from the inside once he got the chance.

“Probably some jobs that require muscle,” said Ara.

“You can use some fat if you ask me,” said Big Crow. Ara ignored Big Crow’s jibe.

Just as they were getting comfortable talking about the shows they were watching on their displays, a group of men came and their officer addressed John. “Wild Child, please come with us?”

“What’s this about?” Ara got up from her seat.

“He’s being transferred to another ship.”

“Why?” asked John.

“Your contract was bought by someone else.”

“Contracts can be bought?” John was flabbergasted. All his plans to ruin the Conglomerate would come to nought.

“Eh chump, who bought his contract?” Big Crow spread his wings so that he’d look a little more threatening.

“I don’t know the details. The new ship will take you to the Arena in Hatishi space. That’s all I’ve been told.”

“I’m to fight in the Arena?”

“I don’t know about that. My orders are to escort you to the other ship.”

“You sold his contract to slavers?” Ara asked furiously. “What has the Asi Conglomerate come to?”

“Bring us your superiors,” said Rose, waving his finger like a king.

“Orders are orders,” said the officer. “They cannot be questioned.” The guards behind him raised their guns. “Please come with me. Don’t make this unpleasant.”

John didn’t have a choice. He didn’t want to see a fight break out, and make the entire ship his enemy. Even if he escaped where would he go? He didn’t know how to control a ship. Human ships weren’t telepathic like the elven ones.

“Relax my friends,” he said to his Ara and the rest. “I’ll be okay. Just trust me.”

They looked at each other and then at John. “If you say so,” said Ara. “But once we gain enough authority we’ll free you. Don’t give up hope.”

“When have I ever given up?” John asked.

He packed his things back in his room, put Sher Khan in a small cage and followed the officer to a shuttle. He boarded the new ship wondering what he’d done to merit this. The Conglomerate would have had to use up a hyperspace tunneler just for this single exchange in real space. Why would they waste so much money on an insignificant person? The ship waiting for him was a warship with the red and black colors of Oor.

4