Ch.74 A Marriage of Convenience
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John was immediately operated upon when he got to the Imperial Hospital. The Empress’ best doctors took care of him. After a few weeks, he started feeling like himself again. He had very few visitors and was starting to feel lonely. Sor Al accompanied by Relar and Sariel had left the planet after her stint as ambassador was over, and returned to Kumra. Oh, if only Spiz or Luten had come along, but they were needed back on Fi. Only the Sleeping Goddess kept him company.

After he recovered, John was issued a summons from the Empress. He was taken to the Empress’ private audience chambers.

“Wild Child, I hear you defeated a demon prince by the skin of your teeth.”

“It was a tough battle,” John admitted, “but I had everything under control.” He’d learned a new weave which was worth the price of his hospital bill. He just needed to modify it a little to use it.

“Everything under control? It does not seem that way from the report and your extensive injuries. The new Marquis of Qush has been branded a traitor to Oor. He has fled the empire, but we will catch him.”

“Did you receive the golden scepter the Warlock had used?” John asked. He had asked his captain of the guards to deliver it personally to the Empress.

“Yes. My artifact specialists tell me that it can summon powerful demons from the aether and control them.”

“What are you going to do with it?” John had wanted to keep it for himself.

“It is a demonic artifact. It has to be destroyed.” That was a pity. He’d have a much easier time defending Fi with a demon prince under his control.

“Now,” the Empress clapped her hands once, “about making you a Viscount. I can do so now that you have rendered such service to the Empire, but there is one condition.”

“What condition?”

“It is time you got married. My second cousin Aystrana is a beautiful girl and highly accomplished. She...”

“No!” John said vehemently. “If I want to get married I’ll look for my own bride. Someone I love and cherish, not someone arranged by you.” He had never gotten married in his previous life. He was too overworked to think of marriage. He was too overworked in this life as well.

“Love,” the Empress waved her hand. “Love is not for nobles, especially young viscounts. She is the second daughter of the Marquis of Jangir, a neighbor to your own star system. Friendly relations between the two of you will boost your prosperity. It will also make you allies in my court. You will seem more respectable and not as wild.”

“Why would he be willing to give his daughter to me?” John knew there was a catch somewhere.

“Her bridal price is steep, but something you can easily afford.”

So there it was. The Marquis of Jangir was selling his daughter to him.

“I won’t accept.”

“Then you won’t become viscount. Your fleet allowance will remain at the level of a baron’s. If you had more ships you would have easily been able to destroy that warlock and his orcs before they landed on Fi. Think about it.”

“How high is she in the succession?”

The Empress laughed, “you want to marry a future empress? She is seventy fifth in line. There’s no chance of that happening.”

“Let me meet her first. Then I’ll let you know my answer.”

“Good. She is here on Tanis. Meet her tomorrow.”

John went back to the home he’d bought on Tanis a few years ago and began to think deeply. He didn’t want any distractions from his training. He wanted to grow strong and find Earth as quickly as possible. His position as a noble was just a means to an end. Having a wife would complicate matters. It wasn’t that he didn’t care for women. He was a normal man after all. It was just that he was too driven by other things.

The next day he went to the Marquis’ summer home on Tanis. He was immediately taken to the Marchioness’ parlor.

“We have been expecting you,” she said.

“Lady Asita, it is an honor,” John bowed. He was on his best behavior. The parlor was an impressive room, with tasteful antique furniture. He was served with refreshments while the Marchioness made light conversation with him. Her daughter soon entered the room. She was quite good looking, thought John, but a little too tall to suit his taste. He did not like the idea of looking up at his wife. Why were all these nobles and their children so tall?

“Lady Aystrana,” he stood up and bowed.

“Lord John,” she curtsied. At least she knew his name.

Her mother tactfully left them sitting alone in the parlor. They chatted about recent political happenings in the Empress’ court. Lady Aystrana was quite savvy when it came to court intrigue. John decided that it was now finally time to lay it out to her, and let her know that this would be a marriage only in name. It would be best to start with no false assumptions.

“You should know,” he said, “that I’m only marrying you because the Empress will make me a viscount after I do this.”

Aystrana did not seem flustered at all. “You truly are a wild child,” she smiled. “You should know,” she said, “that I’m only marrying you because my father is in debt and needs to pay off his creditors.”

“So you understand that this will be a marriage of convenience.”

“That’s usually how it is among us nobles in Oor.”

“I have something important to do. I cannot afford to be distracted by a wife at this time in my life.”

“Does that important thing need you to become a viscount?”

“A duke would be better.”

“Then I’ll help you rise through the ranks, and distract you from your great purpose as little as I can.”

“Good,” said John. “So then, you’ll keep out of my way? Do we have a deal?”

Aystrana said, “Yes. It’s a deal. I’ll call my father and mother.”

John met the marquis who had a reputation for being a reckless gambler. They made arrangements to sign the betrothal agreement the next day and set the date for the marriage.

A month later, John got married. It was a grand affair. Noblemen of various degrees, mostly family of the bride, were invited, including a duke, several marquises and earls. Sor Al, Relar and Sariel attended. It was good to see them after such a long time. Team Rose attended as well. The Conglomerate rarely allowed them holidays but they had insisted on taking one now. John was touched. They hadn’t changed a bit. Rose and Big Crow still argued incessantly. Lin was the same shy man he’d always been, and Ara was as muscly as ever. Ara and Lin seemed to be getting along better than ever. John wondered if there would be a second wedding some day soon.

The bride and groom lit their lamps and walked in procession to the wedding platform where a large fire was burning. Globes of light floated in the air and a music band played pleasant and cheerful tunes while they walked. They walked around in procession and then took a seat before the fire. They then made their vows, to be faithful to each other for the rest of their lives. After that, the festivities started. Fireworks lit the night sky.

John and Aystrana led the first dance. John did not know any dances but was very agile. He followed Aystrana’s lead without stepping on her toes once. He was having fun, despite himself. All his friends were gathered together and he wanted very much to talk with them, but he was taken on a round by his father-in-law and introduced to all the important people there, so that had to wait. The wedding presents they had received had filled an entire room. Aystrana and John then took their seats at the banqueting table and many toasts were drunk to them.

It looked like Aystrana was having fun as well. She was smiling widely while greeting all her family and acquaintances. She had a large family. It would be impossible for John to remember all their names. John got a little drunk and began to sing songs from Earth. They would have sounded like gibberish to these people but he didn’t care. Aystrana quickly pulled him away, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

John spent the next day with his Sor Al and his friends, and then returned to Fi with Aystrana. His house in John City was probably not what she was used to, but she would have to adjust. He considered building a new house, a palace like the other nobles. That would be cool, but it would also be too much of a hassle. John showed Aystrana to her room. It was the biggest room in the house, previously occupied by him. John had got all his things shifted out to the next room which was a little smaller. He could make small sacrifices as long as it didn’t affect his sleep.

John spent the next few days catching up on all that had happened on Fi during his absence. Aystrana was as good as her word, and did not interfere with John at all. One night, he heard Aystrana crying in her room. Was he a horrible person to neglect her so? John felt guilty. He tried to go to sleep as he wrestled with his thoughts. Why were the walls so thin? He would have to do something about that. She then started sniffing, which was somehow even worse than her crying. John wasn’t able to sleep a wink that night. His lesson with Inashta for the night would have to be delayed. Damn this situation! He had to think of some way to fix it. His dream sessions were very important.

“Aystrana,” he said during their breakfast together, “would you like to go on a tour of the city with me?” He knew that she’d already seen most parts of John City with the guardsmen he had delegated to show her around, but he couldn’t think of anything else that they could do together.

“I would love that,” Aystrana smiled.

He took her to the Botanical Gardens and introduced her to Sher Khan. Sher Khan took to her immediately. Sher Khan was now the size of a regular tiger. He had learned to grow smaller during the time John had been away. Aystrana petted Sher Khan.

John was suddenly struck by a bright idea. “Marquis Sida, has invited us to a party to celebrate his daughter’s coming of age on his planet. Should we go?” he asked her.

“Sida is in Duke Pular’s camp, but it is best if we go. You have to show courtesy to both camps until you have some more clout. He is probably looking to Fi for a trade agreement. He needs battleships and you build the best in the Empire.”

John told himself that he wasn’t a bad person. Maybe she would stop crying at night if he took her out a little. His training with the Sleeping Goddess Inashta would be affected if Aystrana didn’t stop soon.

2