Chapter 4 – Guidance
65 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a knock on my door that evening, waking me up from a nap.

"Hello? Rex? Are you home?"

It was Karen's voice. I didn't remember falling asleep. I'd been researching gang activity in the area before deciding to take a break. I must have passed out. My laptop was open with a page on the Cut Throats pulled up. I took a moment to stretch and get myself focused again.

"I'm home, Karen. Just a second," I said, undoing the locks.

I opened the door, rubbing my eyes. Karen was wearing her uniform, a grey vest over a white dress shirt and a black skirt. Her dark brown hair was tied back into a ponytail. She must've just gotten off work. She had a vicious scowl on her face and was holding a pair of pizza boxes in her hands.

"Are you hungry? I brought some food. I thought we could hang out tonight."
"Thanks, Karen. Come on in," I said, holding the door open.

She slid the boxes onto the kitchen counter and stared at me.

"Were you sleeping?" she asked.
"I was up pretty late last night."

The look of disapproval on her face intensified.

"Doing what? You shouldn't waste your time goofing off if you're trying to get your life straightened out."
"Hmph. Maybe you're right."

Karen crossed her arms.

"Sheesh... I know it's none of my business, but there are plenty of jobs out there. Even for people with a criminal record."
"You don't have to worry about me. I'll get my act together sooner or later."

"If you say so," said Karen with a sigh. "I'm sorry. I didn't come over to lecture you, I swear... I just had a rough day at work. Do you want to eat?"
"What kind did you get?"
"I got pineapple for myself and a special tomato pizza for you."

She pulled out a chair and sat down at the dining table. I grabbed a bottle of wine from the fridge and poured out two glasses. Karen started eating without me.

"So, what happened at work?" I asked.
"It was horrible. Just terrible. We were understaffed again, so I was working a double shift. I was supposed to get out early today, too."

"Who was working with you?"
"Does it matter who was with me? They're all dumber than dirt! Owen was supposed to be there, but he was late, so I had to open the store all by myself. Everyone working there makes me mad now. Things really took a turn for the worse after you left. At least the pay is good. If it wasn't, I would've quit a long time ago."

Karen quickly finished off her glass of wine. She handed me her glass and I poured her another one.

"Thanks," she said with a tired smile. "I don't want to talk about work. It's the same damn thing over and over. How was your day?"
"Hmph. I talked to the blonde girl you were telling me about."

Karen put her elbows on the table and propped her chin up in her hands. She had an impish smile on her face.

"How'd that go?"
"We had lunch together. Her name's Alyssa. She's cute."

"You don't say..." Karen murmured. "What else did you do today, Rex?"
"Take a look around. No more boxes. I'm all done unpacking. This dining table is new, there's a new dresser in my room, and everything looks nice and clean."

"Hmmm. Nice work," said Karen, looking around with a satisfied nod. "I think it still needs a little something, though..."
"It's perfect how it is."

"Sheesh. It's a little bare, don't you think? You really need some paintings or something on the walls. Anything with a bit of color to brighten this place up. It looks like a giant jail cell."
"Maybe I'll swing by the gift shop and look at some posters. What days are you working this week?"

Karen paused for a moment before answering.

"I might as well just grab some for you, then. What type of posters did you have in mind?"
"Something abstract would be good. Do you like modern art?"

"Ummm... not really. It makes me feel stupid, honestly. But if that's what you want, I guess I can look around and see what we've got at the store. You should come visit us. Donnie asked me how you were doing today."
"He did?"

"Yeah. I think he's worried that you'll go back to that gang you were always talking about... the Animal Brotherhood? He thinks they might try to recruit you again."
"I'm done with them. I'm not a kid anymore. I've got better things to do than prance around the Pit wearing an animal mask."

"I know. I told him you were looking for a job. I just wish that was the truth, you bum! You'd better not try to join up with those criminals again or I'll bring Donnie over here to beat you senseless!"
Karen made a point of glaring at me while she spoke. She looked very serious.
"I'd rather kill myself than get involved with them ever again. I hope they all drop dead."

0