Chapter 1. Prologue
610 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the year 20XX, the game market suffered a shock of epic proportions, as uselessly dramatic as that may sound. Durion: A World Nearby, usually referred to as DAWN, was released to the public. Unlike most games, there was no open beta, early access or anything like that. All development was behind closed doors, all testing done by hired experts that were paid a generous sum, along with non-disclosure agreements so fierce that not even a single leak or rumour appeared.

Now, for anyone that knows more about the industry, this would seem weird. Leaks, rumours, open testing and all that is fantastic for marketing, especially for a game that is brand new rather than part of a series. These same people were in for a shock after the game broke records like there was no tomorrow.

So, we come to the question, of how it was achieved. The answer? It was just that good. Like the name implied, the game was truly a world of its own. The game was, at its core, a sandbox RPG. The main deal was that it went ahead and beyond the usual limits. Dozens of races, and hundreds of subraces, ridiculous amounts of skills, intuitive combat...and that's only the basics. Combat itself, while the most popular part and generally the foundation for most playstyles, was just part of the game. You could be anything from a mercantile lord with his own land and business empire, to an evil plague doctor, spreading plagues and then curing them. The economy was fully developed and alive just like our own. While it, of course, still had realistic limitations, the game basically lets you do what you wanted.

I am one of the earliest players in the game, and I can say with honesty that it became a part of my life. I wasn't exactly the most amazing player in the game, partially because I was not focused on one path and instead liked trying a bit of everything, I was still relatively well known in the community, despite the mostly single-player nature of it.

My character was the proof of my journey. Originally a Wood Elf-Halfling half-blood, I completed a unique quest which, among many others, turned me into a Nymph Kin, a unique race that allowed my character to switch between male and female at will, which aside from the fun involved, allowed me access to a great deal of quests.

I possessed a variety of titles, from a random title of nobility I earned when bored, through my biggest cumulation based title, Child of War, earned from slaughtering the entire army of twenty different kingdoms, to my most prestigious title; Mother of Elvenheim, which I gained after helping establish a council for elves, and that is all elves, even those normally hostile to each other, which was a brilliant endeavour in and of itself.

My skills, spells and so on are perhaps the biggest evidence of my efforts I could find. Overall, I was a jack-of-all-trades, having a little bit everywhere, but I did use a good number of my specialisations and talents to create for myself a unique combat style, focusing on healing magic, runes and rituals. Healing magic by itself would be for support use, yes, but due to careful development, I managed to use it offensively as well, effectively overloading others with healing, leading to extremely effective results.

Now, you must be wondering, why am I saying all this? Why am I explaining my gaming history in an inner monologue as if I was expecting a reply from my inner demons, who would probably mention that I should stop talking to myself?

Well, that is because today I found myself in the middle of a forest, and looking at my reflection in the river right beside me, I see a Nymph Kin called Haille, who is incidentally known as the Child of War and Mother of Elvenheim.

 

Hello there! I am your dear author, MarkedBites, though you can call me Mark. I decided that since I am writing random stuff all the time, I might as well try to post something online and see how it goes.

While this won't make a good marketing pitch, I figure I might as well let you know that this novel being dropped is a matter of time. While I am always writing something, usually multiples things at once, actually sticking to a single work is a challenge (Though, maybe posting it online and getting readers will motivate me enough, who knows.)

That aside, while I, of course, would want everyone that reads it to enjoy my little story, I write above all else for myself. So while I will read any comments and suggestions, and might even use some of them, what I want will be placed higher on the list. One thing that will certainly be present are sex scenes, and they will involve both lolis and shotas, though their age is another matter, so if that makes you sick, that's your exit cue.

On that note, this is, more or less, a wish-fulfilment novel. While the writing will still be kept somewhat decent, I won't give it as much effort as I would to a 'proper' novel. (Whatever that is)

Oh, and there's no upload schedule. I'll post once I write enough and get the stuff edited.

11