Owed (ENG)
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Owed"

The renowned metropolis of AirBay was not at all like it is today. Decades ago, it used to be an inhospitable and lousy city. Public hygiene conditions were deplorable, poverty levels were as high as the skyscrapers that contrasted with the reality in that place, and public transport was constantly vandalized.
It was there and during those times, the 1980s, that Lucas "Fuerza" grew up, a boy whose physical gifts were supernatural from his birth. Due to an unprecedented genetic mutation, he possesses strength and physical endurance beyond all human limits. Of course, the known saying "with great power comes great responsibility" was strongly felt during his rough childhood. And it is that when it comes to just a kid, it makes a lot of sense.

Up to his sixth year of life, he was raised by his father: a depressed beggar due to the death of his wife and their terrible living conditions. His memories of his father are very vague, due to his young age at the moment he left for a (perhaps) better world. What he undoubtedly remembers, very, very well, is the act of witnessing the pathetic and tragic suicide of his father, who due to overwhelming circumstances, made the unfortunate decision to hang himself. It was not in his father's plans for little Lucas to witness such situation, but things did not go as planned. By the time he tried to reverse the situation, the rope was taut like barbed wire, hugging an already weak, broken neck. 

The last image he had before leaving was that of his little son paralyzed by anguish and helplessness, whose innocence was completely lost between sobs and the fall of his tears.

Years have passed since that now distant event. Years in which Lucas had to cope in this world, gaining a sense of independence at a very young age. As he grew and matured, he understood that his physical abilities differed from the rest, and he chose to help make the city in which he grew up a better place.

In contrast to his chaotic childhood, he developed an extremely confident and even somewhat arrogant personality, very careful of his superficial image and appearances. His golden hair, 25 years of youth, and good physique made him pretty attractive.

This is how he then dedicated himself to protecting the city from the different threats that surrounded it, contributing notably to rebuilding a decent society there. However, the past cannot be erased, and as usual, there was something about it that caused him great unease. And it is that after that traumatic event, he developed an irrational fear of ropes. Just thinking of them made shivers shudder through his being. Of course, it would be too humiliating for the strong, confident, and handsome hero AirBay to be afraid of such a ridiculous object. However, he did not think it possible that anyone could ever find out about it, so he simply chose not to think about it and try to forget it.

The year's 2004. It was a Thursday like any other in the city now developed AirBay. The children were playing, the birds were singing and the flowers were blooming. Suddenly, there was an explosion. It apparently had been in one of the busiest and most popular shopping centers in the area, in the basement parking lot. The damage was severe, and the explosion appeared to have affected other floors as well. It seemed to have been an accident. Police, the explosive control units, and the fire department was already there to assist people and inspect the area, along with Lucas, who worked as a collaborator of the police.

While he was committed to helping people and wounded in the area, he couldn't help but feel a strange sensation provoked by the surroundings, in contrast to the chaotic situation. It was a mixture of nostalgia and restlessnessSomething was clearly wrong.

Suddenly, without any warning, there was a second, very thunderous explosion in the distance. The ground shook, and panic spread through the people, now experiencing terror in its purest form. This time, It was the central bank of the city, which was located in one of the most important and tallest skyscrapers of the place. It was now certain that, without a doubt, this series of drastic events were about coldly premeditated consequential attacks.

Having confirmed his suspicions, Lucas sped off to the site of the second attack. He still felt strange. There are times when one can experience strange forebodings that, although they may seem like thoughts without correlation or meaning, tell us that something is out of place. As if they were whispers from our unconscious.

Upon arriving at the scene of the attack, he encountered an armed group of individuals who had completely hijacked the building. 

The conventional entrance was blocked, but that would not be a major impediment considering his abilities. As he made his way into the building, he took a step or two forward cautiously and attentively. What he witnessed next brought him to a complete standstill. His muscles tensed, his breath hitched, and his heart doubled in speed. The observable panorama was full of people tied and immobilized by ropes, the work of the armed assailants who dominated the situation.

For a moment, time stopped. Various familiar feelings came back to him. Feelings covered by a confident and arrogant personality, but never truly resolved. His insecurities exploded, the debt with his past became present, and the helplessness flooded him again like that time when he was too young to be able to do something about it. Fear, despair, and a bitter taste in the mouth accompanied by a slight portion of nostalgia. He was there, in front of his father dangling, paralyzed again. He could barely hear the people calling for help, and the kidnappers preparing their weapons.

Flicker. 

Reality was slowly returning to him, and the reality was that things had changed a long time ago. The rope had already been broken for decades, or perhaps only seconds, but now it was clear. And it was now that he had the power to make a difference. He was no longer a child, despite being only six years old. Many people depended on him at this very moment, and it was time to give an account of the past. Running was not an option. A shot was approaching, the reality was accelerating, and it was time to act.

The debt had been paid, he was free. As he hit the ground roughly, little Lucas got rid of the rope around his father's neck entirely.

He stood up, and looked deep into his son's eyes to then share a joyful hug.

He was alive.

2