Ch 00 Antium
1.2k 13 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Fire!” 

The cannons shot flattens the long grass. The horses glance over unimpressed, they are used the the boom of artillery and the roar of spectators. Of course for safety we are firing blanks. But every thing is real, the uniforms, the guns, and the ammunition.

We are re-enactors, putting on a show for the anniversary of the battle of Antium. And with weather as oppressive as today the guests stay in the shade of the tall trees behind us. 

When we break for questions, the crowd melts, going for the cooler attractions. Because of the weather and the late time, our troop calls it a day and begins to pack up. 

I’ll stay though, it is too hot to have my horses (Eli and Murray) pull the caisson and gun onto the trailer. So I stay and answer questions. 

Sweat rolls down my brow, as the last of the tourists begin to leave. I frown, what I had assumed was the family of a small girl had left. I try to get the attention of the women when the girl approached me.

In barely a whisper she says “Excuse me... Why do you do this?”  

I turn, “I am sorry but do you know where your parents are? I can help you find them.” I crouch to be level with her.

A cloud passes over the sun darkening the day as a powerful wind pushes me down. The same whisper pierces the gale “I am sorry... why do you do this?” She points to the gun. 

Pushing myself up I chuckle. “I do this to educate myself people about the great history of this nation. Teaching children like yourself...”

“I AM NOT A CHILD.” She interrupts, “I am old, really old, older than you could possibly imagine.” 

I shiver as the rising wind pierces my heavy uniform. 

“I asked why do YOU come here? Are you paid? Are you commanded?” 

I feel the cold sink into my bones as I answer, “N no, nether. I reenact for fun. My great great grandfather fought in the Civil war as an infantry man. And to walk in his steps is a great honor.”

The wind slows and she looks me in the eyes. “Will you help me?” 

“Of course, I would love to do anything I could.” I stand up and bend over to pick up my cap.

“Thank you” 

24