Ch 05
572 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moderate summer night weather was warm enough to sleep outside of the tent. The night passed without any further interruption from the attempted burglar. 

I waited until it was bright to run through my belongings to see if anything was stolen, and thankfully nothing was. However, bizarrely despite being a full day since I had thrown out the bad powder and ammunition for the cannon, I found a pristine charge of powder and a matching shot canister in its proper spot. This confused me. I was used to things disappearing being found later, but this is a whole level beyond that. 

"Heh..." 

The thought of boomerang artillery is amusing. Better yet magicians apprentice style marching shells back into their arsenal.  

Without thinking too hard about the greater ramifications of magically appearing ordinance, I set off for the day. I was brought back to the present as I saw an awfully familiar tail scarper into a thicket. I was being trailed. 

But what to do? Confronting the creature could scare it off, but I that is what I did last night and it is persistent enough to follow me. So a positive outcome is unlikely. Alternatively I could set up a trap, and catch the little bastard. Or you know shoot it, or something. Finally getting to eat something other than grass would be nice. I look into the forest.

"Maybe I should hunt..."

I stop the cart and tie the horses around a tree. To avoid important things like my flint and steel being stolen I take whatever I can in my infantry pack, and I head off into the forest. 

The canopy quickly becomes crowed with branches, and daylight quickly becomes scarce. Much of the vegetation I saw on the first day was present, but larger and more abundant. In spite of the low light the forest floor is practically a lush carpet of ferns, fungi, and more exotic undergrowth. It is as I am creeping along as quietly as I could muster. When I felt a great weight fall onto my back forcing me to the ground.

I couldn't see it but there was something on my backpack. Standing up I pull my left shoulder under the strap as I feel claws dig into my upper left arm. 

"Argh!"

I struggle trying to get the claws out but the claws only dig in deeper. I need to get this bastard off of me. I jump and land on my back smashing my attacker. I grimace as the claws are ripped from my arm, I shake my pack off and stand up. The creature is a koala with eagle talons and a long naked tail, while only two feet tall it carries the presence of a really short body builder. The buff koala did not seem to be injured from my body slam and was pulling its self in my direction. I scramble to grab my rifle and make some distance for a proper shot. this was possible only because while powerful and stubborn the koala was not fast. 

When the koala sees that I was getting away it turns away and heads for a nearby tree. Seeing this I stop and take aim, "No way am I letting you get away" I mutter.  My first shot hits and goes through the bear, tearing through its shoulder and kicking up dirt as it ricochets off the ground. The koala which was keeping me in its sights turns to face me and my second shot which hits him squarely in its side. The koala is pushed over as the energy of the bullet is captured by its body. Still alive it glairs at me as it tries to rise. One last shot through the head finishes off the murder bear. 

While mobile my shoulder hurts like high hell. Blood started to saturate the sleeve and I feel the wetness down to my elbow. I would have to return to the cart where I had left the bandages. I grab the koala by the tail and sling it over my shoulder "This bastard better taste good." 

Returning to the carriage was not an issue as my trail was painfully obvious to follow as my footsteps were left in the moist earth and I had not traveled far.

16