Ch 3 : Land of Illumination : Realization and Fear
43 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment realization dawned upon me that there is no up... and no down... things started to click.

Intensity is inverse squared of distance. So obvious? Right? So ingrained in my mind that I didn't even realize... it's a property of our 3-dimensional world. So, what if it's not a 3d world, but a 2d world or even a 4d world?? Things will change.

And the surroundings did point its not a 3d world... but a 2d world.
And thus I began my calculations.

The simple idea for inverse square relation is

Let P  be the total power radiated from a light source(point). As the distance from the source increase, this power is distributed over larger and larger spherical surfaces. Since the surface area of a sphere of radius r is A = 4πr 2, the intensity I (power per unit area) of radiation at distance r is
{\displaystyle I={\frac {P}{A}}={\frac {P}{4\pi r^{2}}}.\,}

But it changes in 2-d. So, now instead of  A = 4πr 2, it is being distributed over circles of C = 2πr  instead and I is inversely proportional to Radius.

This changes everything.
JEo1AWQ.jpgLet's say I am at point A, and I consider 2 lines subtending a small angle theta θ.

Now, lets consider the intensity for both the segments formed. The closer segment has x*θ amount of light Power. Being at distance x from point A, the intensity at A due to this segment is proportional to (x*θ)/x  = θ.

Thus, the intensity is only dependent on angle subtended, summing it over all the possibilities, the total angle subtended is 2*pi always constant!!

To think I was explaining that bullshit answer with a proud face!!! In face of this, my ignorance and arrogance feels embarrassing. No wonder, he was laughing so hard.

[TIME UP!!! So what's your answer.] 
"All points"

[What?? You sure? You can rethink lest you die!!]
I can feel the desperation in his voice. He certainly thought that I am just guessing.
"Lock it. That's my answer."

[Huh... Well, that's correct again. another lucky break, it seems.] 
"Well... This is a 2d world."

[AAh... So you finally realized!!!] and I hear another laughter.
"Fraud", he is a fraud. This was just a trick. And still... still...
I think... what if... what if I didn't know it's a 2d world and calculated using 3d.

xlkMomB.jpgThen, Intensity is proportional to (x*θ)/x= θ/x. Any line from x is just a chord, so the total length of the line 'l' is less than 2*R. We can divide it into 2 parts x and y with x+y < 2*R.

I = c * (1/x + 1/y) > c*(1/x + 1/(2R - x)) = c*2R/(x*(2R-x)) which itself is minimum at x = R.
Equality exists only when A is the center itself. So, the intensity at any other point is always greater. 

 So... What if... I said the center is the answer... The whole area would be filled with radiation. A ring contributes to 4.91 candelas. Would he just distribute this to other points... or the whole area would have been filled with radiation of the same intensity as the ring??

The thought terrifies me and the voice was aware of it too. And thus it made a change.

About the title... I just wanted to use the longest title I was allowed to use!!!

2