Ch 2 : Land of Illumination – Part 2 (A fatal Mistake?)
54 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Normal Conversations are "... ". The constellation talks in [ ], somehow their mode of communication is different than normal.
And internal monologues are in {...}.

{Luck? What Luck is this guy talking about?}
Like hell would I depend on luck, my deduction was foolproof. No way was it incorrect.

Just then I heard another bout of laughter.
[Let's see how much your luck is worth.]

Everything shook up and the point light source at the ends start to expand. Soon each direction I can was the light source itself.

[Basically, now you have a ring as light source], explained the voice. [And this time, I am adding a condition. Every point on this disk lowest in intensity yet not chosen... I will add radiation sources at those places. I will watch you ... BURN] and it laughs again.

At this point, I was sure that this guy is crazy, and I was taking this situation way too lightly.
But still,
{Was I wrong?? The hell. Nah. He is definitely playing a game... planting seeds of doubt in my mind.} and I arrived at the conclusion, I just need to ignore him. {He-he}. I smiled. How smart am I!!

"It will you who will burn in the hell of Despair!!", I shouted at top of my voice.

{Still...} I view the Lux meter I have. {Should I give this a try?}
{Nah... let's not}

In the midst of all this, I heard another voice. [5 minutes!! You have 5 minutes to solve this one!]

"What the hell!! Now you are adding a time limit?"
I was a fool expecting some form of response as what I heard was another laughter.

I again look at the Lux meter. This time I need to use it.
And thus I took the Lux meter and noted the reading

*4.91 Candelas it read. Further precision is not possible
From circular symmetry, it's obvious that if a point had minimum intensity, the whole ring across the center will have the same intensity.

So, I started my march. From the center, I started moving towards the edges and noted the readings.
*4.91 Candelas it read. Further precision is not possible 

Sure, it probably hasn't changed much. And I believe it will only increase anyway. Center should be the solution anyway. And so I continued my march. 

*4.91 Candelas it read. Further precision is not possible 
...
...
...
*4.91 Candelas it read. Further precision is not possible 

"THE HELL!!" What is this! Is this broken?
[2 minutes left], I heard another sound.

"Hey, this is broken." Silence. "Hey, listen this is broken. Give me a new one." Even more silence.
{The hell... What do I do? Wait... if ... if this not broken, then what's the explanation?}

If intensity decays inverse squared, then intensity should increase closer to the ring. I know it... I feel it.
{But... What if it isn't inverse squared? Wait... where... where . is . up . and . down. }

And then it occurs to me. "The Heck...". The realization dawned on me hard.
But it wasn't the time to immerse in it. I quickly did my calculations in the head. {Elementary... Easy... and well Tricky....}


I made a mistake of not considering interference... but let's just ignore them as happening on too small a scale. Please do because otherwise the 2 chapters just fall apart.
Also, I don't really know whether the mistake and the solution felt forced. If they did, I believe it's my incompetence as a writer. Please suggest a better way to set it up. Thanks.

 

2