Chapter 01
832 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  — [ WALTZ OF CROWNS ] —

-『CHAPTER 01』-

« Heiress of the House of Novaldein »
— Velestina von Novaldein —

Reality is so bright.

That was my initial impression upon finally opening my eyes for the very first time. Actually I was already awake at least an hour ago but the memories of this body kept pouring into my consciousness without stop thus I opted to remain still at the bed up until I've regained my bearings.

As per our agreement, that goddess did reincarnate me into a body of a noble girl. This body's original host is apparently Veleina Novaldein, twenty years old and the only granddaughter of an esteemed Admiral. This girl is suppose to die here but for some reason that female deity intervened and put me in this body instead the second after the original host died.

"If this Veleina had already left then how come I still acquired all her memories? Does that mean that memories is strictly stored in the brain? Yet how come those souls in the purgatory still retains some of their memories? This is somewhat confusing." I mumbled to myself but then heard the door creak open. I turned my head towards its direction and found a petite girl in a maid outfit standing by the entrance.

"Milady thank goodness you're finally awake! We were so afraid that you wouldn't make it, sniff."

I gave the maid a blank inquisitive look.

Based on my newly acquired memories, this girl is supposedly be Jahna, the personal attendant of the person whom I reincarnated into. This maid grew up alongside Veleina thus I have to be cautious or else this girl might notice some anomalies with my behavior. 

With a relieved expression, Jahna pats her bosom whilst exhaling in relief before making a beeline at a nearby table. This maid then grabbed a wooden jug full of water and a cup on her other hand before drawing close to me.

"Here Milady, I'm sure you must be really thirsty by now since you had sweat a lot last night while you were unconscious." Jahna joyfully said after pouring some water on the cup before offering it at me.

Silence.

Quite frankly I'm not that thirsty. 

I mentally pondered for the optimal response and in the end I decided to casually accept it and whispered a silent 'Thank you' before taking a tentative sip. 

Ahh, this is quite cool...so this is how it feels like to actually drink a water.

Doing it personally felt infinitely more better than merely watching it like a bystander from a recollection of someone.

I sighed in mild contentment before handing back the now emptied cup.

"Sir Augustine, the only medic traveling with us told me to quickly fetch him the instant you awoke so is it okay for me to leave for a moment? Do you need something Milady?"

I simply shook my head and told her that its alright before watching her go. I've then began checking the condition of this body after making sure that I'm alone once again.

I started with placing one of my palm against my forehead in a gesture to check up my own temperature.

Hmm, It seems that I still have a slight fever.

Next, I check the state of my mindscape and found everything completely out of order. I then mentally sighed as different sorts of memories keep flashing into my mind like panoramic movie in fast forward.

"What a headache." I muttered aloud.

I really need to assimilate all of Veleina's memories fast. Just because I've 'eaten' these memories doesn't mean that I can properly access it. 

Its akin to binge eating. 

Everything feels like its still stuck on my throat and only the rudimentary knowledge have funnel down into the stomach. In my estimate, I need at least three days to fully 'digest' these memories.

How weird.

Back in the purgatory, I didn't mind the passage of time. I could do nothing for aeons and it still won't bother me but now, these mere three days of waiting feels like an enternity. Unlike back in purgatory wherein time is immaterial, the idea that I have limited time now somehow frightens me.

I exhaled a long breath.

So this is how it feels like to be a mortal. 

To have limited time and live knowing that one day death will come and everything will come to an end.

 

Back in purgatory, I've immersed myself in the fragmented memories of other souls. I've watched an engineer tinker and build mechanical things. I've marvel at the magical experiments a wizard concocts and follow an organic spaceship-like alien being fly off into space but all these experiences now feel as if its merely an illusion.

[ Yo, how's it going? ]

An ethereal voice suddenly resounded from within my mind which interrupted my inner musings. 

Goddess, Is that you?

[ Yeah, I can't directly descend in that world so that's why I can only converse with you telepathically. Anyways, you've already reincarnated right? Did you experience any sort of problems? ]

I...don't think so. 

Aside from the slow consolidation of Veleina's memories and the bloated sensation due to it, I'm rather feeling fine if I say so myself. 

[ Is that so? Well that's good. Its normal for the assimilation process to be slow since you also have with you the memories of the souls you have consumed back in the purgatory. Quite frankly I'm amazed you still haven't implode yet since a normal being would be crushed by retaining that many memories. ] 

I involuntarily gulped.

W-Will these foreign memories have a negative effect on me now that I became a mortal?

[ Ehrm, I'm not really sure. Remember, you're a unique being, the very first and possibly the only being born from nothingness so not even I have knowledge concerning the innerworkings of your existence. ]

Ehh, that's really not reassuring.

So there's really a probability that I might implode one day?

[ Uh maybe? I don't know really...All I can say is that your souls capacity is way more larger compared to an average mortal so at least you won't really die due to having too much memories. ]

Worrying about these matters feels like a fruitless endeavour that would yield me nothing thus I proceed in asking her about another topic.

Goddess, you said before that I needed to do something for you in exchange for helping me reincarnate, so can I ask you now what do you want me to do?

Silence.

For some reason, my benefactor didn't instantly respond. Silence reigned for half a minute and I thought she already broken our mental link but her voice came back again and with a solemn tone the goddess tentatively asked, [ How much have you've already assimilated from the former host's memories? ]

I instinctively folded my arms.

 

Veleina's? Well mostly only her name, age and the names of her family and some of her earliest memories like her childhood.

[ What about the world? ] 

I tilted my head as I rummage through my mind but after a minute, I just simply shook my head. The goddess didn't seem to mind and she started explaining the composition of the world I've reincarnated into.

[ The local inhabitants call that planet Valeria, a blue world wherin the outer crust is seventy percent made up of water. There's three continents there but humans which are the dominant race have only know two so far and those lands are 'Aethos' and 'Midras.' ]

Within my mind a holographic image of a round planet suddenly appeared, revolving at a miniscule pace. 

[ I won't go into details since you'll eventually know these things once you've fully consolidate Veleina's memories but what I want you to focus on is the continent called Midras. ]

The hologram then zoomed in at the second largest landmass before zooming further into a particular small group of ships transversing the ocean before finally stopping at a certain room wherein an ashen haired girl with eyes of red is standing casually with an idle expressi—Hey that's me!

I tried moving my arms vertically in a rhythmic manner and my holographic self also did the same in real time with no delay.

How cool.

[ Hey you, stay focused! As you have seen just now, you are currently sailing towards Midras and what I wanted you to do for me is to build up your own country in this continent and 'liberate' the people living there. ]

Silence.

...Eh?

E-EHH!?!?

Is this Goddess serious? For her to ask me to build my own country...heck I can't even build my own sense of self, what's more a nation!?

Impossible.

Absolutely Impossible.

 And what did she mean by liberating the people? I really wanted to return the favor but what she's asking me seems entirely a fool's errand.

I then began to internally panic since my life is completely bound by the chains of fate and I have to uphold my end of the bargain lest I cease in existence. 

Goddess, C-Can't you ask me for something else instead?

I earnestly pleaded but this mad deity just simply crackle evilly.

[ Hehe don't worry, the person whom I've chosen as your reincarnation has a really powerful and influential household. Founding a nation or two would just be a piece of cake with your family's help. As for your second task, I'm sorry but its a forbidden matter. The other Divinities here in the planet would instantly notice my presence if I divulge anything, but all I can say is that you have a unique power sleeping within you. Use this gift to bless the people whom you wanted to liberate once you've finally manage to harness it. ]

I made a conflicted face as I ponder about what this goddess just said. I partly lifted my arm and open then closed my left hand a couple of times before bringing it down and sighing aloud.

Can you at least tell me what this latent power of mine is?

[ No, I recommend that you wake this gift all by yourself. I can aid you but alas, it will taint you with my divinity and your power will lose its potency so I don't really recommend that you seek help from others in regards with your powers. ]

Well that sucks.

I threw my hands up in the air in frustration.

I was about to cuss aloud when a hurried knocking at the opposite side of the cabin's door caught my attention. I was about to walk towards the entrance but before I could even do so, it then forcefully opened and Jahna rushed inside.

With an agitated expression, the maid then stated in a frantic voice, "A Crimson Hawk! A Crimson hawk just came in Milady!"

Silence.

A....red bird?

I tilted my head bemusedly.

I have no idea what's that at all but judging from the graveness upon Jahna's face, the appearance of this peculiar bird might mean something serious.

I paused for a moment before asking In a blunt manner, "What's a crimson hawk?"

Silence.

Jahna just looked at me as if I suddenly grew another head.

"H-Huh? Wha—How could you forget it Milady!? Its a crimson hawk I tell you!"

I slightly furrowed my brows as I tried another approach.

  "Ehrm, Jahna my mind's kind of hazy due to the fever so can you please explain the significance of this bird?"

  The maid seems to be still skeptical but she eventually began expounding at my behest.

  "W-Well basically, our military used all sorts of avian for their long distance communication. A herring or swallow are used more commonly but hawk's can only be used for messages of utmost importance. Hawks are generally grey but there is even a rarer variant of hawks which are entirely crimson and are twice as fast than a normal hawk but such birds can only be use for one purpose only and that is—"

I suddenly got a bad premonition.

"—If the matters is on the scale of a national emergency."

16