Chapter 15
220 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This time, when we clashed, white hot flames surrounded both of us and stretched to the perimeter barrier I had just set up. I smirked and changed the aspect to water, creating a blanket of steam as it clashed with his fiery aura. I pushed off his sword and launched myself in the air with the momentum I created, twisting as I went and assuming control of the surrounding steam, coagulating it above me. As I reached the apex of my jump, I brought my sword in front of me and raised it above my head, forming what would become a steam dragon and freezing it as I made the downward motion. 

The now frost dragon crashed down to where he was standing, but he was ready. With an upward swing, the dragon was cleaved by a white hot aura blade and I would have been too if I didn’t make a platform of mana beneath my feet and push off it to evade. I landed and looked to where he should be past the frosty haze I had created in the surrounding. I sensed movement to my right and my sword was immediately there to clash with his. We exchanged multiple blows through the haze, swords clashing at an ever increasing speed until I stomped my foot and raised a platform of earth that launched him into the air at breakneck speed. 

‘Chance!’ I had to concentrate a little for this.

From the fire aspect, I derived multiple plasma streams and launched them at him at high speeds, surrounding what would be the apex of his climb from all directions so I could hit him while he was still hanging in the air. 

‘Let’s see how you’ll escape this.’ I smirked. However, the smirk was wiped clean off my face as I witnessed what happened next. 

All the streams of plasma started circulating around my now floating grandfather with him as the centre, following a uniform axis around him. I felt the control I had over the streams of plasma be wrestled from me as they gathered behind his back and formed flaming wings of such immaculate detail, even I was in awe. Then I frowned. 

‘He has more control over fire than I do. Well, I guess that’s a downside of my sorcery that’s better to find out in a safe environment than when it would be critical. Still, unacceptable. I’ll have to work on this.’ 

He floated down and slowly dispersed the wings behind him. He looked at me for a few silent seconds then smiled. 

“It really is too bad you don't want to be the head of the family when you will undoubtedly be the most powerful Whitefyre of this generation. But you are free to be whatever you want to be.” He stayed silent for a few more seconds, before he sighed. 

He went over to return the sword he used and I followed his example. 

“I read your paper and had someone who knows better tell me the implications they might have for our family. When I learned what I could, I rushed back here to see the grandson that would make the name Whitefyre synonymous with power, literally” He chuckles at his own little joke, then looks at me seriously.

“All the money earned from whatever you do is yours, it has always been like that in the family. We earn too much damn money from the grand duchy to ever worry you about the payments you will receive. Well, your father knows that, it’s his wives and concubine that need to learn that lesson. But they will.” 

We made our way back to the main house and went our separate ways. I had to prepare because tonight was the annual dinner that would involve all of the family as we all just came back from the academy. I took a long relaxing bath and readied myself before one of the servants came and informed me that it was now time. 

As I entered the dining area, the whole room fell silent. I ignored the stares from them as I went to my designated seat. 

“Congratulations on your achievement Solis, you have brought the family great pride.” My first step-mother Estelle, said. I looked at her and could see the visible strain it took her to utter those words. 

“Thank you.”

‘She really does despise me doesn’t she?’ Most of them do. 

I was the child of the slave bought from an illegal slave trading market in a moment of lust from my father. I was supposed to just be average and keep to myself, not threatening the succession in any way. And that  is exactly how I grew, I mostly just stayed out of the way of the three factions in this house. Not necessarily because it was dangerous, but because I just couldn’t be bothered. As long as I was left alone, I left things as they were. 

“Though I’m not very experienced in magic, I was told it was somewhat revolutionary.” The second wife Marianna said. Although she didn’t necessarily hate me, she was indifferent to my existence. I looked into her pink eyes as I responded. 

“Somewhat, it wouldn’t necessarily shift life for the average man, but it may have some impact elsewhere.” Understatement. I just didn’t  want idle chatter with them. 

“You truly have added to the prestige of the Whitefyre name brother. Incredible how you did it in the first year too, almost too good to be true.” First child Avenelle, now 18. Mouthpiece of his mother and hates who she hates. Ergo, he completely despises me. 

“Tch.” Ahhh, there it is. The timely scoff of my brother Zakary. Now 14, he remained the same person who never really took anything seriously. Now though, he harbours a certain resentment whenever one of his siblings does well. 

“So I’m assuming the family wealth will be growing then?” Ahh, the mistress, with her foot always in her mouth. Everyone became silent as they waited for me to answer when-

“Whatever money he makes in this endeavour will solely belong to him.” Father has arrived. 

8