Chapter 17
244 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“My daughter has spoken of you, you know.” Well that came out of left field. 

“I don’t, your majesty.”

“Oh yes, she said the Whitefyre boy was the only one at her level in that school. I was a bit sceptical, but now that I can see you for myself….” His gaze intensified and it felt like the heat was turned up for a few seconds, before simmering down again. 

“I can see for myself that you truly are a cut above the rest not only in brains like your results have shown, but brawn as well. Grow, and serve the empire well and you will be rewarded like you are about to be today.”

“Yes, your majesty.” I bowed deeply. He silently stared at me for a few seconds, then spoke. 

“The contribution to our livelihood your project will provide is not something that can be overlooked. I acknowledge it’s immensity, hence, the reward has to be just as big.” He paused, then continued. 

“I'm sure your father already gave some type of a hint as to what you’re getting?”

“Uhh….he has, your majesty.” He smirked at me. 

“Good. Well, I've decided. Henceforth, you will receive the hereditary baron title and your barony will be the great waste north of the Reinhardt earldom that borders the ocean. Nothing grows there and nothing has grown there since the empire was conceived, but I’m sure you will remedy that and come up with an appropriate use for the place, Won’t you?” My brow twitched. 

“I will do what I can, your majesty.” This asshole. The great waste is a large piece of cursed land that sees no plant or animal life. The curse extends even into the surrounding ocean and affects the sea life in that area as well and of course no one lives there. 

“Good, the document for your conferment has already been prepared and is just waiting for you to choose an appropriate name for this new noble house and territory. Select it whenever you want and let the royal lawyers know, they will change your name wherever need be throughout the empire, be it bank or school. That is all, you may leave now. Alister, stay.” 

Asshole. Really, just an asshole. I’m sure it was that damn daughter of his that influenced his decision. Well then, I’ll take the great waste and turn it into the most prosperous territory of this kingdom. First, I’ll have to break the curse and create a specialty. I thought for a bit, then I smiled.

‘Wait, isn’t this just convenient. I’ll just add a purification function to my world tree. Hell, I’ll even pick a last name that reflects it all. Besides, my elven instincts have been hounding me for a while.’ It is, after all, ingrained in an elf to be surrounded by nature. 

‘But to do this, I’ll need alchemy. Well, I was planning to use alchemy to create the world tree seed in the first place anyway.’

I was ushered out of the room and led outside to what seemed like a palatial greenhouse. There, seated at a tea table and waiting for me, was the most beautiful creature I had ever laid eyes on. She had stark white flowing hair that fell to her waist, framing her pearl coloured face and eyes that contained all the colours moving in symphony with an intricate geometric pattern in them. She had high cheekbones with soft features that incurs protection and a smile that was dotted with deep dimples. Mavis, the empress, daughter of Frivesdoig the dragon king and grandchild of the reigning fae monarch was a truly breathtaking woman. 

“Come sit with me.” I was jolted out of my daze, then immediately went on guard. There is something supernatural, almost compelling, about her beauty. Like an allure. Dangerous. 

‘Her Fae side then.’

“Yes your majesty.”

She was kinder than I was expecting for being married to who she’s married to. She had a soft spoken voice and pleasant, if not seemingly naive disposition. But I knew it could all be a facade for she is a fae, and what are fae if not inviting to lure you in.

We spent the next few hours discussing my project at length and many possible applications before it was time to go back home. When we arrived I went straight to my room and started drawing up plans for the land. 

The next few weeks saw me going to the far away land through the teleportation arch connecting Whitefyre and the earldom between Eladrium and the great waste, Reinhardt, then going the rest of the way by carriage. I was collecting samples to discern the curse affecting the land while trying to come up with the purification method. As I was doing this, I came to the realization that the emperor could have purified it long ago with his divinity and just chose not to, for whatever reason.  

‘Truly, the biggest of assholes.’ 

Father asked what I was doing all those times I went to my new territory and I just told the truth, but I think he cannot fathom how I would do it. On a lighter note, the whole family had an interesting reaction when they were informed I was to be named a baron with my own territory. For the most part, they were happy that I was out of the running for grand duke and would only receive, in their mind, a worthless territory. but I would change all of that very soon. 

With the holiday winding down, I was preparing for my trip back to the academy. I had just finished packing up my things when the day came. As I passed the gates of the academy a sigh of relief escaped me. It was getting stifling back home and I couldn’t carry out the experiments I had hoped to. Oh well, onward to a new school year. 

8