Chapter 28
209 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The midterms came and went like clockwork and the results were expected. Wei An was able to opt in or out of taking the tests, which he decided to take, but he was not ranked alongside us because it would be just unfair. We had accumulated more knowledge than he had along the years. 

“You’re not going to bring it up unless I ask, are you?” Brandon asked me. We were currently in the cafeteria having lunch with a large group of people surrounding us and I knew what he was talking about, so I looked at him with brows raised.

‘Really, you pick here of all places? This guy is unbelievable.’ 

“I want the opportunity to buy one of the plots, I know it'll be expensive because of the proximity to, you know, but we can afford it. My grandmother had apparently foreseen this as a possible place to set down roots for generations to come and had made some very lucrative investments at the time, which now nets us enough money to buy and build close to where you built yours.” 

‘I can see why the princess becomes easily annoyed, fucking seers. Well, at least she doesn’t go telling all my business.’ I went to answer but-

“I know the place you will sell to me and I know you need permission. My ancestor, apparently one of the emperor’s friends who refused a title, prepared one favour for this purpose specifically.” I snapped my mouth shut before closing my eyes and exhaling. 

“You know I don't like when you do that.” He chuckled nervously. 

“I know that if I don’t get this done today, I’ll never have the opportunity. In the next few weeks, the emperor will meet with the high nobles of the empire to inform them of the prime real estate available. He will show them the available residential plots you have and auction it to them for a high price. They will be informed to hand the schematics for their residences over to the builders to build all without them being there and seeing the place.” I frowned.

‘Tsk, there he goes again, not consulting me. I guess thousands of years of being the strongest will afford you that level of arrogance.’ I focused on Brandon. 

“Go ahead, you can buy the land.” I made a shooing motion at him, but he got up and dragged me out of the cafeteria. 

We finalized the sale of the land that afternoon and signed all the necessary documents after an eye watering three million gold. I honestly didn't know what would make him spend such a large amount on just the plot of land. 

‘I guess being close to a world tree will do that to you.’

Sure enough, like Brandon said, the emperor informed me that the land was about to be auctioned off to the highest bidders among the high ranking nobles and some extremely wealthy low ranking ones. None of them actually knew where the land they were buying was and who lorded over it, but they trusted the emperor when he said that this would be an extremely lucrative piece of land. 

The emperor himself bought some plots for building embassies of foreign nations and places to house them as well. Apparently, having a world tree would make this place a centre of diplomacy with races that thrive on mana, especially the elves, dragons and fae. 

One morning, I was sitting in my seat in the homeroom when I overheard Draco, who was visiting his girlfriend, talking. 

“My father purchased a few plots in the secret land I told you about. He’ll give me one of the houses he will build to use as my main residence since I asked him. We can start our life there after graduation.” My brow twitched. 

‘And I thought this was supposed to be a secret.’

“We’re not living in your land?” Serena asked with wide eyes. 

“No, I gave up the right to rule when I canceled my arranged marriage and I’m not close enough to my brothers to live under any of their rule. I’d rather just start fresh with you.” He looked like he had stars in his eyes when he looked at her. She, on the other hand, looked mildly irritated. She then started talking in a wobbly voice. 

“Your parents disapprove of me? But I thought they liked me.” Her eyes became moist. 

‘Here comes the show.’ The whole class just sort of kept an eye on her as she worked her magic, all of us being used to her by now. 

“No, they love you! Really, they do! It’ll just look bad if the next head of the Pendragon renegades on an agreed upon contract. When I canceled my arranged marriage with one of my father’s business partners, that was seen as a breach of contract. Nothing really happens to me, I just forfeit my right to rule. We can be together now without any worries, isn’t that okay?” She nodded while still being teary eyed. They exchanged a few more platitudes before Draco left and her facade dropped. 

“Tsk.” She made an irritated sound with an annoyed look on her face. She knew not to pretend around those in the class as we could see through her and didn’t really care to tell anyone in her web. 

“Guess you really wanted that archduchess seat, are you going to replace him now.” Brandon, oh Brandon. Saying what we are all thinking. Everyone in the class turned to her to see how she would respond. She turned to eye him, then flipped her hair over her shoulder before smiling at him full blast. 

“Why, you want to take his place?” She leaned towards him and he flinched back. 

“Guess I deserve that.” It seems he was still slightly captivated even knowing what he knows of her. 

‘She is still an extremely beautiful woman no matter how she behaves, nobody can take that from her.’ 

“Do you not fear the repercussions of playing with the heart of a man? Even one as pompous as he appears to be.” Wei An asked as we all snapped our attention to him. Serena turned to him slowly with a frown. 

“I’m going to marry him no matter what happens regardless of what I say in jest. I’ll advise you to mind your business.” She replied crisply with an annoyed look on her face. 

“Still, must you be so heartless to use him for gain like you do? Then disrespect him behind his back.” Her expression cracks a little. 

“I have shown you courtesy during the duration of your stay here.” She released some of the pressure from her three mana circles and the air in the room was saturated with her hostile mana that felt like it could rearrange your body parts with but a thought from her. 

“Don’t overstep your bounds, Wei An.” I raised both brows at that. 

‘Even if she looks like that, she is a competent healer, only behind me this year and an advanced combat wizard. She will be a very dangerous opponent for anyone.’ 

Wei An replied in kind with the pressure from his chi and a faint smell of plum blossoms in the air. They looked like they were about to have a confrontation when a heavy and searing pressure permeated the room. 

“Fighting indoors and in my presence is unacceptable.” The pressure from both of them abated. 

“My apologies princess, I got a little incensed by his thoughtless words and-”

“Save the honeyed apologies, just stop.” They both just nodded and ignored each other. The rest of the day went as usual as if nothing had just happened between the two of them. 

6