Chapter 30
225 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘This is going to be a hassle.’ I thought as we made our way to the royal palace. 

Our delegation of carriages had just crossed over the teleportation arc to Eladrium and we were now en route to the royal palace. I elected to ride a carriage alone while the rest of the family split up between the remaining carriages. I closed my eyes while thinking of what I was about to face. 

‘Did I really have to attend this thing?’ I heard from my father that delegations from other kingdoms on the other continents were apparently invited. Especially the elves, they were going to send someone from high up in their royal family as the person to attend.

‘The asshole really likes showing off, I guess boredom does that to you.’  

Our carriages came to a stop in front of the palace and we came out and entered. We were led to the ballroom by an attendant who announced us upon arrival. I took a glance around the whole ballroom from the top of the descending stairs and looked at all the attendees. 

“I expect nothing but the best decorum from all of you.” Father sent directly to all of us with an impressive use of aura.

‘This is going to be a nightmare.’ We descended the steps before walking our separate ways.  

I felt myself being stared at more so than I was used too, but it was normal. I was the last of the Whitefyre children to make his public debut in high society and I didn’t have my own ‘in group’ or ‘clique’, so people were waiting to see who I would turn too. 

‘I really hate parties.’ I went to the concession table and picked up a glass of water to drink when I was approached by someone. 

“Good evening, Solis Whitefyre.” I turned to meet the person who just spoke to me.

‘Huh.’ She looked average but heavily made up, brown hair, brown eyes and puffy dress.

“My name is Matilda Swan of the Swan baron family. I’m in the same year as you and *muffle*...” I tuned her out. While still facing her, I scanned the area, looking for something and-

‘Jackpot.’ I thought while paying attention to the group of women standing together looking in our direction. 

‘They sent her over to me to gauge my reaction? She must be the lowest rank in their little clique then.’ 

“.....and I hope you could help me understand it.” I paid attention to her again. 

“What do they want?” She started as if shocked. 

“Pardon?”

“The person who sent you to me, what do they want?” She covertly looked in the direction of her little clique before looking back at me. 

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about.” I sighed. 

‘I’m too old to be dealing with noble gossip, I’d rather be more direct.’ I directly walked away from her and in the direction of the clique of girls. I scanned their outfits to try and determine the head.

‘Not you, not you, not you, colours are too dull, ahh, there you are.’ Pinned up black hair, dark blue eyes, pale complexion and beautiful features. I looked directly at her for a few seconds. 

“And you are?” I raised my brows, waiting for her to answer. One of the girls flanking her raised her voice to try and say something. 

“Sir Whitefyre, I think it's rude to-” She was cut off when the lady herself raised her hand to hush her. 

“Fiona Medici, charmed I’m sure.” 

‘Ahh, now I know why she’s so self assured.’ The Medici were one of a handful of ancient noble houses that existed long before and survived the complete conquest of the land by the emperor. They specialized in making money and banking, hence were and have been one of the, if not the richest noble houses in the land. 

“Solis Whitefyre. And the reason you sent someone to sound me out is?” She stood silently for a few seconds before answering with a smile.

“I wanted to get to know the person who had netted us the most return on investment in my lifetime.” My brow twitched. 

‘Look at this bitch, trying to get a rise out of me.’ 

I had been blase as to who could produce and use the whitefyre orb as long as I get my percentage once the profit of whatever they use it for rolls in. I hadn't really kept track of the new products that it powered but I knew they were on the market and popular based on the balance in my account continuously  increasing. 

‘Well then, two can play at this game.’ I did something I rarely did in this life. I smiled charmingly. 

“I’m glad you were able to make timely investments and ride the wave, I’m sure your father and his business partner were able to profit tremendously from it. Speaking of business partners, how is your fiance?” Her serene expression cracked. 

Her supposed fiance was Draco Pendragon, who had broken off or was in the process of breaking off the engagement to be with the ‘love of his life’ as opposed to marrying the daughter of his father’s friend and business partner. She knew the engagement fell through, I knew Draco broke things off and she knew I knew because, and I’m assuming here, she knows Draco comes to my class to visit his paramour. 

“Unfortunately, we couldn’t work things out. We mutually decided it was best to go our own separate ways.” She answered with gritted teeth. I altered my smile to slightly mournful.

“I’m sorry for bringing it up then, If I-”

“Is she bothering you, Solis?” I was interrupted.

‘Huh, this is rare.’ My sister Camilla, with her shining blue eyes, blonde hair and a figure that takes after her mother Vivian, father’s mistress. She, like everyone else in that family, ignores me so I was surprised she was coming to my perceived defence. 

“No, no. We were just having a conversation.” I replied to her. Fiona’s face went red. 

“Has that whore mother of yours taught you no decorum, just inserting yourself into any conversation you like?” 

‘What vitriol, looks like there’s existing bad blood between these two.’ Camilla just smirked at her. 

“Come now Fiona, you don’t have to use that harsh tone. Aren’t we all friends here?”

‘Ohh? So Fiona was trying to use me in whatever spat they had going on between them.’ Her scowl got deeper. 

“You really are your mother’s daughter. I hope you enjoyed the attention you had at school because now that you’ve graduated, nobody will allow their son to marry the daughter of a whore.” Camilla brought her hand up to slightly cover her mouth and chuckled lightly

“My, oh my, such vulgar language, you really should watch your tone.” Then her smile widened. 

“Don’t worry, when you’ve matured a little I’m sure you’ll get a little attention too. No need to rush it, things like this come at their own time. You’ll just have to remain a little….small, let’s say, for a few more years. Come on Solis, I have some people to introduce you to.” She grabbed my hand and dragged me away. Only when we got out of sight of the girls did she stop and let go of me. 

“Don’t talk to her. She’ll just try and get information about me to discredit my position in high society. You can do that much at least, yes?” She looked at me with a frosty expression before leaving. 

‘See, this is why I don’t do parties.’ 

7