Chapter 35
215 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few weeks later

I was finally back in my class for what would be my last year at this school. I walked into my homeroom for the first time in my last year. I blinked in surprise at what I saw.

‘Well, they’re all early aren’t they.’ I was usually the first person to arrive in class in the mornings, but it seems they decided today to come before me. I walked over to and sat on my seat, minding my own business, before Octavia spoke to me. 

“Are you ever going to release the method of synthesis, for the world tree I mean?” They all looked at me for the answer. 

‘Well, ask for my legs, why don't you.’ I was surprised that neither Brandon nor the princess were the first to speak to me, like they always do. 

“No.” Short and sweet. She just nodded and turned away from me. 

‘See, this is why I appreciate her. She just minds her business.’ 

“Isn’t that a little selfish?” Serena asked as I looked in her direction, brows raised. 

“It is customary in academia to share your findings, however, if they are extremely momentous, you are allowed to monopolise it. A prime example of that would be professor Flamel and the philosopher's stone.” Octavia answered for me. Serena turned to her.

“Still, if it is something that could help tons of people, shouldn't it still be-” Octavia cut her off.

“We’re not here to discuss the merits or morality of it. This is just how it’s been for the longest time.”

“Well, I still think it’s selfish.” Serena replied.

“And it’s fine to think that way. Opinions are opinions for a reason.” Octavia answered before she turned away from Serena. 

“It’s beautiful, you know.” Brandon said, out of nowhere. 

‘Ohh, finally speaking now?’

“What?” Serena replied. 

“You haven’t been there yet, I’m assuming. That’s why you can ask him to give his work so freely. But I went there this summer. In fact, my whole family moved to his territory. The density of mana, its purity, the surrounding enchanted forest and-” Brandon turned to look Serena in the eye. 

“-and the world tree itself. No words can describe it. Being born in mana rich environments can have a positive effect on a child’s potential, no matter how small, and the world tree provides that, freely, without the taint of pervasive and offensive affinities influencing them.” He then looks at me while still talking to her, his eyes gaining a vacant look. 

“The only downside will be the unusual prevalence of the fae to come.” The princess snapped her attention to Brandon at that statement. 

“Still looking at what you’re not supposed to look at, seer?” 

‘The princess finally speaks’

“And why should what I say trigger you, princess?” Brandon dons an innocent expression and asks.

‘As if you don’t know she herself is part fae and this is all the empress’s doing.’

“One of these days, seer...” She left the statement unfinished before turning from a beaming Brandon to me. 

“You have my word, the feywild will not overrun the inner garden or anywhere else it might connect in Treehome.” I looked at her for a few seconds before going to answer, but I was interrupted by Octavia. 

“The feywild has made a connection already? So this inner garden has already grown to the point of enchantment. How is that possible? Unless the trees planted themselves were innate magical? But that still created problems because the variety of magical trees needed may not be able to grow in the same location. How?” She looked at me.

‘Well, it won’t hurt to satiate this one aspect.’

“One of the purposes of the world tree I synthesised was to facilitate the growth of life, specifically flora.”

‘That should be enough.’

“So others brought in the magical trees and just planted, the world tree did the rest. I’ll have to go visit it after the school year is done.” She nodded to herself before she turned back to her book.

‘That’s a Duval for you. Any magical plant will pique their interest.’ 

“Have fae truly begun appearing? I’ve read about them, but I never had the opportunity to read one.” Wei An asked. 

“They have, I’ve seen quite a few of them.” I answered.

“Fascinating.” Wei An replied with a smile. 

“Don’t you have something similar to the fae on your continent, spirits, or beast something? I forget exactly what they’re called.” Lancelot added. 

“Spirit beasts. When an animal begins to cultivate chi, they gain intelligence and power. Eventually, if they reach a high enough level, they may take on human form and even procreate with humanoid species. It is how a lot of the long standing bloodlines are formed. It is also possible, though a bit more rare for trees and inanimate objects to cultivate like this. They would have to be bathed in chi constantly till they reach a threshold, then start cultivating themselves.” Lancelot smiled at the reply. 

“I really have to go to your sect for a visit one of these days.” Lancelot said.

“You are welcome anytime.” Wei An answered with a smirk. 

‘Finally, the atmosphere is somewhat back to normal.’

6