Chapter 38
231 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I skipped the graduation ceremony and teleported straight to my territory after all hassle of the project. I appeared in my personal estate with my luggage and rested for the next few days before the real preparations began. Preparation for hosting the delegations from the arriving countries that is. 

‘Why did I agree to do this again?’ I thought while relaxing in my office chair with my eyes closed. 

“My lord, all the portals have been completely built and are fully operational. The general populace have begun using it, causing a spike in the ids issued. Business is booming as a result of the eased transit through the city.” John stated while I was resting.

“Good, and the next thing?” I asked.

“Experts in forestry and druids were brought in, per your request. The forest outside the city is growing at a fast rate and fauna are being introduced in intervals to emulate a true forest. Also, at least half of the trees planted were those of an innately magical nature to accelerate the formation of an enchanted forest. The whole operation has been a success.” I stayed silent as I listened to his report.  

‘Ohh, is that why I feel good? I really should have checked the surroundings before listening to this debriefing.’ My mother must have been some sort of wood or forest elf because my instinct demands I be surrounded by forest. Specifically, a magical forest. 

“And the schools?” 

The people attending these schools would be the next generation of my territory so I took schooling very seriously. I also asked for orphans from all over the empire and am taking on the responsibility of feeding, housing and education. I provided education at all levels and paid the teachers handsomely to make sure the job was well done. I also included magical and aura training the likes of which a commoner would usually never see unless they get into a prestigious institution, like Serena did. 

“They have been opened and are fully operational. However, the costs of education cannot yet be covered by the territory’s earnings with it being split in so many ways. We had to dip into the account you set up for that purpose.”

“Hmm” 

I knew that the territory itself doesn't make enough money yet from taxes to cover all its expenses yet, but that will change soon. So to supplement that income in the meantime, I decided to brew and sell specialty wines for the territory. 

A few of the lots I set aside on the outskirts when planning the city were for growing at least part of the food requirements of the city, but I added in a certain number of orchards of a certain mix of magical plants for alcohol. 

On the side, I had developed different blends with these particular fruits and plants that would result in exquisite spirits with an inherent magical nature. I didn’t concentrate on any particular one and instead brewed liquor of all strengths, from the very hard liquor to the bubbly party liquor. The spirits were already brewed and aging artificially within their designated places. 

The bottles I had prepared for them were specially crafted in house and etched with runes to increase durability while maintaining the quality of the product inside. The bottles came out so well that I decided to add glassware to the sources of income. 

“The spirits, have they been bottled? We will have to use this gathering as an advertisement.” I inquired.

“The first batch has been bottled and ready for sale sir.” I nodded at that.

“Good, so no need to worry about expenditure just yet.” I was that positive in the quality and value of the liquor when they hit the market. 

‘This is just the beginning.’ 

“Back to education, you received my correspondence?” I asked while looking at him. 

“About selecting the best and brightest of the bunch to be trained in the mind arts? Yes sir.” I smiled.

“Good, good. I’ll send over learning instructions with the ‘tools’ to get them started. Anything else?” I asked him. 

“Nothing sir, apart from the population seeing a significant growth and an increased number of nobles coming to vacate here, nothing drastic has happened.” I nodded my head in silence before finally asking him. 

“And the accommodations the emperor built for the other countries are fully stocked and available, yes?”

“Yes sir, we have made sure to coordinate with the emperor’s people to make their operation as smooth as possible.” I nodded at him. 

“That’s all then.” He turned and left. 

A few weeks later, the royal family arrived in procession through the large teleportation arc stationed in the city. I had to arrive at the estate they built on my land in order to meet with the emperor. I was led to his newly built office by the butler he had on staff and let into the room. He was sitting on the lounge with legs crossed reading a document, still radiating that intense heat he did from all those years ago but barely affecting me anymore.

“You’ve done a good job with what you were given.” He stated, not even looking up from what he was reading. 

“Everything is going extremely smoothly, no hiccups, food where it's supposed to be in adequate amounts, really, just a stellar job.” He said, as if talking to himself while nodding.

“Hmmm” He hummed to himself for a few seconds before looking at me. 

“And the liquor?” I knew why he was asking. There was probably a glaring blank in the place where there should be a record of spirits for the coming gathering. 

“We brewed our own, they are ready for use at adequate quantities anytime.” His eyes narrowed at that.

“And I’m guessing I will receive the bill?” I smiled slightly.

“I’ll make sure to submit the bill through the appropriate channels after the amount used for the gathering has been catalogued.” 

‘Since you want to use my city, be prepared to spend then.’ His eyes began glowing and the heat and pressure in the room ever so slightly. 

“You’re growing bold with age.” I stood in silence and just kept looking at him before he let go of the pressure.

“And you’ve grown in strength too.” He smiled slightly at me.

“Good. My peerage needs to be strong and have a backbone, else who’ll represent me  in these kinds of international meetings.” He waved his hand at me.

“I’ll pay when the bills come, you know where to send them. Now, for the interesting part. You have quite a few new…..innovations here.” He leaned forward as he said that. 

“The portals, the cards, the novel policies, are all interesting.” He narrowed his eyes. 

“The policies, I understand, each land is different. But why haven't the portals and cards been made public?” 

“The existence and use of the portals is contingent on the ids, and I don't think everybody will want to have their identity catalogued.”

“Ohh, then how do you expect me to use it then? Do I, too, need to get an id?” He asked. 

“It would be preferable, but I have prepared masterkeys that will allow you to use all the amenities you would usually need a card for.” He stayed silent for a few seconds.

“The populace really don’t mind being catalogued like this?” He asked. 

“As long as what they get out of it is great, they don’t mind.” I replied as he looked at me before he nodded and waved me away.

“I’ll observe the situation for a time before making my decision. You can go.” I bowed to him and left. 

6