Chapter 47
207 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Camilla Whitefyre Pov.

‘Tsk, what does he want now?’ 

Father had called myself and Zachary over to his office for some reason or another. He never calls for us unless he wants something from us, and it’s usually something difficult. I had long given up on him loving me or cherishing me as his daughter, that was just a pipe dream of a young child. 

“Do we really have to go, mother?” I heard Zakary say. His blue eyes and red hair reflecting that of our mother. 

“Of course you have to go, this is the opportunity you need to get ahead of those…...of them. Do you think they will allow you to still use the same amount of money you want with impunity? If you want to maintain your level of avarice, you need to become the family head, or at least help your sister.” My mother said with irritation, her blue eyes looking angrily at my brother. 

“Even if one of them become the head, they won't have the power to strip me of my rightful-”

“Of course they will! I didn't work  as hard as I have, give you the life you had, for you to just lead us back to the street! Prepare! You’re going to see your father now!” Mother screeched, her usually perfectly coiffed hair disheveled. She then turned in my direction and walked to me before holding both my hands.

“Camilla, my beautiful, beautiful daughter. You remind me so much of myself when I was younger.” She started fussing with my hair and appearance as if to make me look better, her beautiful face smiling at me. Then she squeezed my hands tightly, almost till the point of pain.

“Watch your brother. Make sure he doesn’t say something, and do something to make-” 

“What's that supposed to mean? Mother, I don’t-” 

“You’ve said enough!” Mother shouted at him.

‘I’ve had enough’ I thought.

“Don’t worry mother, I’ll keep him in check.” I turned around and left the area immediately. I heard my brother rushing in my direction to catch up with me.

“You really should stop agreeing with her.” I looked at him as he said that to me.

 “And the alternative of her screaming at me is better, why?” I answered him.

“Not better, but honest.” I faced forward again.

‘What do you know of honesty.’ 

“She worries, you know. She is constantly reminded of where she comes from by the bitch and the old hag. And the other one just ignores her. She doesn’t want us to live that life.” I said. 

“Hmph, that’s a lie and you know it. She just wants to maintain her lifestyle through us because anyone else will throw her out if father were to ever leave.”

‘That is true. Mother does see us as a continued meal ticket.’ 

“And what of you.” I asked him.

“What do you mean?” He replied.

“How are you going to sustain yourself past someone else becoming the head of household?” I asked him.

“Oh? Are you finally admitting it will not be you?” I looked at him out of the corner of my eye as he said that.

“I’m not stupid.” I looked forward. We walked a few seconds in silence before he spoke.

“How are you going to sustain yourself? You know as well as I do they will throw us out the first chance they have. I’ve been putting away some money in a private account since I was a child to prepare for that eventuality. But that’ll be just enough to sustain my eventual family and mother.” He said.

‘I knew you weren’t stupid.’ I smiled slightly in his direction.

“Mother didn’t give us much, but she did give me my looks and my body. With beauty like mine and a name like Whitefyre to match it, I’ll be married to some wealthy noble before you know it.” He looked at me with a weird expression on his face as we came to father’s office door. 

“But is that what you want?” He asked as he knocked in the door. 

‘My sweet brother, who only shows his sweetness to me. Never change.’ 

“It's what I’ll have.” We opened the door and entered father’s office.

 

Princess Aurora Pov.

 

I was sitting in my room, looking out at the world tree and thinking. I wasn’t thinking of anything in particular, rather, just letting my mind wander. I heard a knock on the door and I looked in that direction. I let my eyes perceive through the door to see who it was. 

‘Oh, her.’ One of my mother’s maids.

“Come in.”  She opened my door and entered my room.

“Your highness, the empress is calling for you. She wants you to meet her in the inner garden for-”

“I’ll be on my way, you may go.” 

As she left the room, I stood and used a portal spell, honing in on her signature. I walked through the portal and came to a stop in front of my mother. She was deep in the forest she created in the midst of trees from the feywild. 

“You’re late.” She scolded lightly. 

“Sorry, mother.” I replied. I looked at her as she looked back at me for a few seconds. 

“Take off your veil.” I followed her instructions. 

“From now on, you will not wear that crutch. You will control your glamor, as it is ingrained in you to do so.” She said strictly.

“Yes, mother.” She stared at me for a few more seconds before she looked in the direction of the tree. 

“My father has decided to visit this place with a few friends. He missed the banquet because of some….matters” She looked me in the eye. 

“Some powerful young dragons will be coming with him, you understand what I’m saying?”

“Mother…”

“They will be pushy. Although elitist, you have the blood of a very powerful dragon and they will come for you. You are powerful, but make sure to watch yourself.”

“Yes mother.” I nodded at her.

“And if any of them try anything…” I suddenly felt a suffocating pressure. 

“Make sure to tell mummy, okay?” She said with a smile.

6