Chapter 62
172 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alister Whitefyre Pov. 

 

I looked at all my children in the room, eying them one by one. They had all grown spectacularly over the past few years, spurred by the youngest of them achieving the most.

‘And being constantly reminded of that of course.’ What was a father if not motivational. 

I directed my eyes to Avenelle. 

‘My spitting image, and adequately powerful as well. Way ahead of the curve and a perfect heir.’

I turned to look at his sister.

‘Alvina, the flower in my garden. Desired by all the nobles for her beauty and power, but can only be plucked by the one who can offer me the most.’ Their mother had done a good job of bringing up nobles that would further our house. 

I looked at my other daughter.

‘Sweet Leila, not as beautiful as her sister but her power puts her ahead of all my children barring Solis. Talented, extremely talented. Many want to use that talent to further strengthen their line. The Reinhardt boy in particular has been sniffing around her and he is quite a bit younger than her 27 years. Isn't he the same age as Solis, 22? Well, I don’t really mind. That family is an excellent choice pedigree-wise, and it helps that he is the only male she has taken an interest in.’

I turned to her twin brothers and frowned. 

‘Fabian and Gideon. Also very talented and having surpassed all the other children in the realm of aura, barring Solis. The only reason their sister is more powerful than they are is because she balances her time between magic and aura and has achieved a sort of balance, whereas they are lopsided in favour of aura. It normally wouldn't be a problem, but Leila is just so talented that her balancing act does not diminish her individual powers at all. But that is not what irritates me about them. No, that would be the newfound relationship between father and the twins.’ My frown deepened. 

‘It bothers me, for some unforeseeable reason, that he can just come and sweep my children away whenever he feels like it.’ I closed my eyes in contemplation. 

‘I wonder how the remaining two, Zakary and Camilla, are doing. From the business reports, things are going well for them. Surprisingly, they were able to fend off the majority of mother’s family’s attempts of swallowing us whole, while leaving crumbs for them. Obviously, it was Camilla’s doing. Zakary is no good there.’ He married a commoner and had a child the second I took my eyes of him.

‘Tsk. What a waste. But it is his life to live and he shall live it as he sees fit with all the money being a Whitefyre affords him. He is, however, officially out of the running for this seat.’ I opened my eyes back up.

I had been leaving them to stand in silence for a few minutes now and none of them have even complained. 

‘Not good enough, they have all reached the age where their time is important. If you cannot speak up to me, you will not be able to hold this seat.’ 

“Do you know why I have called you here today?” I asked. 

“I’m sure it has to do with the invitation our house received from the Heartree lord regarding the opening of a new city. We will also be invited to auction for new land as well as take stock of the new city. There should be a function to close it all out.” 

“Clear and concise as always, Alvina.” I praised as she beamed at me. 

“You will all be going in my stead. Your mothers will not be allowed to go with you as this is a test purely for you. You will have full access to the family funds to use as you wish, I will be taking stock of your expenditure when you return. You are also allowed to make private purchases with your own funds, whatever you get will be privately owned.” I looked around the room before my eyes settled on Avenelle. 

“A hallmark of a good family head is the continuation of the line with talented progeny. You are all of an age, some higher than others, and the next generation will need to be secured before the headship can be decided. Act accordingly.” I saw the twitch in Avenelle’s face as I concentrated on him specifically. 

If there was one flaw he had that detracted him from being the perfect heir, it would be his promiscuity. Avenelle liked to lay with anything that moved, female and, surprisingly male. As long as it had a hole, he was there to fill it. It was….difficult, to learn that your son did not differentiate between the sexes, but at least if he wants to be the head, he will have to make the right choice. 

‘Even if he partook, he should be hiding it. Instead, he is flaunting it in my face, doing things in such a way that ensures he would be caught. But I cannot just dismiss him from the head contention for his….dalliances.’

 He is a man unmarried, he will settle down soon with a wife. He will have to. 

“You may leave.” 

 

Alvina Pov. 

 

“You may leave.” Father ordered us. 

I performed a delicate bow and followed my brother out of the room. We walked in silence until we reached mother’s quarters.

“Well, how did it go? What was the assignment he gave?” Mother asked. 

The years had been kind to her, with her retaining her youthful looks with her shining black hair and vibrant purple eyes. Estelle Whitefyre nee stark was still a beautiful woman through it all and it was clear where my looks originated. 

“We are to represent the Whitefyre name in Heartree for the coming city opening.” Avenelle said. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. 

‘Not going to complete it? Or should I?’ 

“Good, this is an opportunity. I’ll be there to help in the decisions that-”

“You are not allowed to come.” I cut her off.

“What?”

“Father says you are not allowed to come. None of the mothers are. Only the children are permitted.” I elaborated.

‘Probably because of how you and grandmother coddle Avenelle.’

“What in the-, why? I’ll go speak to your father. He cannot-”

“Mother stop.” Avenelle held her arm to stop her. 

“Don’t worry, I will be the one to shine in this assignment, above all else.” She took a deep breath and exhaled before smiling at him and caressing his cheek. 

“Of course you will, my sweet boy.” They began having a moment that was entirely too nauseating for my liking.

‘Well if you won’t-’

“Father also implied that we should begin looking for marriage partners. He is possibly expecting us to choose from the attendees of this event as all notable nobles will be there.” Both mother and brother stiffened and her smile turned brittle. 

“Of course you will. Neither of you should have any problems with this, right?” She said in a way that let me know I was poking the bear. 

If there was one thing mother hated about brother, it was his love life, if you could even call it that. Every other day he is seen with a different person and it drives her insane. 

‘She can’t handle the fact that her baby isn’t perfect. Ridiculous.’ 

“We’ll see, mother.” Brother replied.

‘What?’

“What?” Mother echoed my silent sentiment. 

“I said, we’ll see.”

“And what is it that we will see, Avenelle Whitefyre?”

“Whether I come with a partner.”

“Wife.” Mother corrected. 

‘Oh, this is getting good.’ 

Brother just looked at her for a few seconds and his eyes turned cold.

“You allowed father to bring in whore after whore into your marriage without so much as a whimper, not to mention the many others he plays with on the side. And when he gets them pregnant, he just brings them here and expects us to just concede. I at least have the decency to be protected when I dally about, unlike him.” He took a step forward. 

“I don’t want to hear anything from either of you about my escapades. You have no leg to stand on, or should I call that guard with the purple hair that was devouring you, mother?” I snapped to attention at that. 

‘What?!’ I looked to mother who just stood there frozen.

“I will marry a wife who will provide me with powerful children, then I will take the headship from him and rule. Of this you don’t have to worry.” I felt the pressure of his magic coming off him in waves as he stood directly in front of her.

“I expect that you will never question me again? Good” He walked away, but not before giving me the death stare. 

We stood in silence for a few seconds, mother and I, before I broke it. 

“Devouring, huh? How was it?” She chuckled absently. 

“The best sex I’ve had in a while.” 

‘Well damn.’

2