Chapter 5 New World
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zai was now travelling, alone, in the wild. Jumping around from tree to tree, hopping from rock to rock, swinging from branches. This would have been deathly training for Zai when he was younger but now it feels like second nature. He reminisces on the first time he tried in an obstacle course.

Back at Vas's place in the woods when he was 10

Zai was attempting to make a basic jump from one rock to another but he kept failing. His legs were scratched up and bruised because of how many times he was falling. He leaped once more from one of the rocks but slipped the landing.

Thump

"Ughhh why is this so hard~ I can't do this" he pouted on the ground.

Vas, who was watching him while fishing "You're taking a rougher beating by a rock than those demons."

"??? How do you expect me to do this exactly?" he turned away embarrassed.

"What do you mean? I was able to do that when I was about 5, maybe you're just not cut out for this stuff."

"But I don't even get a running start!" Zai exclaimed, "I'm just not strong enough to do it" He pouted down at the grass in a defeated voice.

"You can't expect to get better when you give up that easily," Vas replied, he looked at Zai and his defeated face "You're not strong enough right now, but I'm making you do this to get stronger, you can only improve when you're failing."

"Yea I guess, but when am I finally gonna get it?" Zai inquired.

"…Whenever you feel like giving up, look back at your progress, and acknowledge how far you've come rather than sulk on how far you have to go," Vas said nonchalantly, as he focused back on his fishing "When you started you couldn't even reach the other rock, but now you're managing to stick the landing but slip at the end, and now you're gonna quit?"

The words of Vas, which felt useless to him, lit a fire in Zai's eyes. He thought to himself after ?????????? ? ???? ???????, ????? ? ?????? ?? ?? ???? ?????? ?? ?? ???? ?????

Zai got back up and began to practice all over again. And after a couple more rounds, he lands the leap.

Zai's golden eyes radiated with excitement "Look! Look! I did it!"

Vas looked over and gave a light smile "Good goin', I think that earns a cooked salmon" he says as a salmon bites on to Vas's bait and gets instantly electrocuted by mana. "Let's get cookin'."

"Yes sir!" Replies Zai, joyously.

Zai was zoned out as he was reminiscing back to his childhood but was brought back to reality when he heard people. He noticed the lack of tree's around and came to realize he was already at north Voua.

He hopped from the last tree from the forest he was coming out of and looked onward in awe at the plains separating him and North Voua. According to Vas:

"When you leave the forest directly north of here, you're going to end up at the plains, separating you from the second prefecture of Voua, Zekiel" Is what Vas said when preparing for Zai's venture.

"From here I can find a Town and hitch a ride" Zai mumbled to himself and began to set off.

A little while later, Zai managed to come across a town called Teras. In town, he was able to find a coachman to take him to the capital. While heading there he noticed a large group of people heading towards the capital as well. Some were in carriages; some were on horseback and others in carts.

"Hey mister, you know why everyone seems to be headed our direction?" Zai asked the driver.

"Oh, you don't know, eh? A major city in Carasen was attacked by hordes of demons recently. So they're probably survivors that were forced to evacuate."  Carasen was third the prefecture above Zekiel.

Zai immediately thought back to when his town was attacked when he was little and wondered if there were any survivors from his town, Peralin. "I see, by the way, do you know anything about the attack on Southern Voua in recent years? Specifically, Peralin?" 

"Oh, I don't know much about that one son, I think it had no survivors, but it was regarded as the biggest tragedy we've had that wasn't considered a catastrophe. Because it continued to spread through Southern Voua" Said the driver

"Oh, that's… Tragic" The words hit harder than Zai was expecting to, he assumed that even if his family did not survive, there must have been anyone. However, the truth wasn't something that was fond of. 

"Yea, glad it wasn't me!" Said the Driver followed by a hearty laugh.

Zai was baffled at the driver's words, but his thoughts were caught off by the scenery up ahead. Large, beautiful walls encompassing the capital of Gleeland, with Demon Force Guards everywhere atop it. A gate that took the breath out of Zai's mouth with its impeccable craftsmanship. Each detail from the walls, the gates, even as little to the well-kept paths that they were on excellently established that Gleeland was the capital of Voua and Zekiel.

"Woah," said Zai.

"Yup I've only come here a couple of times but it still puts you in a trance huh, they say Gleeland has only been penetrated once ever since its creation, and that was during the first catastrophe."

"Yea it really is awesome." Zai was in awe of the capabilities of mankind and was excited to begin his new life in the heart of luxury and history.

Zai eventually was dropped off by the gates and was standing in line for quite some time even though they were taking in a couple dozen at a time. He was eventually met with the guards.

"Hello sir, state your origin and reason for coming here." Said a large armoured man

"uhh, hey," Zai was questioning whether it would be a smart idea to say he was a survivor from the attack on South Voua 11 years ago. Would people believe him if he said so? On top of that, he didn't have any form of identification that could be used, he needed an alibi to get in.

"I-'m from, Carasen, yea, I was one of the victims of the recent demon attack and I came here for a job," He said with an awkward smile.

The guard stared at him "You look awfully happy after just escaping a demon attack."

"O-oh, I'm smiling because I'm happy to…live?" He continued to smile even wider than before.

"I see, well any proof of citizenship?" replied the guard, suspicious of Zai.

"Ummm I don't have any, sir"

"You can't get in without proof of citizenship, for all we know you could be infiltrating us, sir."

I am, just not in that sense Zai thought to himself "W-well is there any way I could enter?"

"I see, well you have 2 options, I recommend you sign up for the Demon Forces if you want to get a form of citizenship and be able to stay here for good. Of course, that's assuming you pass."

"And what's the other option?" Zai asked interested.

"Leave."

"I guess I only have one option, huh, ok then that's fine."

Zai said in a defeated tone, but this is a best-case scenario for him. Trying to avoid any suspicion was the best course of action since it would be awkward to explain such an unrealistic story to higher-ups and guards. and as a result, they would mistake him for an enemy.

"Very well," The guard reaches into a box next to him and grabs some papers "This is a map which highlights the location of recruitment. As well as some documents you should sign and hand in, Good luck." He said as he moved to make way for Zai to enter.

"Thank you" replied Zai, as he entered through the beautiful maroon gates, he began to look in wonder. Living most of his life in the mountains, Zai had not really experienced such luxuries.

He walked slowly through and was greeted by a large and bubbly plaza, with all different types of people. There were shops on every corner; an armoury with an intricately designed sickle as their logo and a sign saying VALENTINA ARMORY.

Along with that, there was a convenience store with a wide selection of herbs all the way to basic weapons, restaurants with food that smelled so good it could put you to sleep.

Zai was touring around Gleeland, enjoying the scenery and the buildings surrounding him. He eventually decided to make his way to the recruitment grounds. He came across a stadium of sorts but wasn't able to go in, there was a sign on the wall.

??, ??????????? ?????? ??? ???? ???? ??? Zai thought to himself. With that his plans were a little inconvenienced until staring at the sign for a while longer he realized, ? ???'? ???? ? ????? ?? ????… he let the thought sink in as he stood there for a bit longer, ? ???'? ???? ? ????? ?? ????? The delay was long, but he finally comprehended his situation when he reached in his pockets for money, ? ???'? ???? ? ????? ?? ???? ??? ?? ?????!? Zai spent the last bit of his money coming here and didn't foresee something like this happening.

He began rushing through all the inns in the city in hopes of finding someone generous enough to let him stay for a week.

"E-excuse can you let me stay for one week?" Zai asked smiling.

"Beat it, kid." He was kicked out.

"Only for 1 week, I'll pay you back?" He smiled.

"No money no business." He was kicked out.

"I'll work for it?" he smiled.

"Get out" he was once again kicked out.

Attempt after attempt after attempt, Zai continued to get rejected as he was going through all the cities inns, before he knew it, it was already nighttime and Zai found himself in an unfamiliar part of the city. In contrast to the heart of the city, this area was gloomy, with little smiles, and a much quieter atmosphere.

As he was looking around, he noticed children huddled up with families, and individuals on the streets, all with depressed looks on their faces. He was slightly surprised at the dramatic change of atmosphere and was wondering who these people were and what happened to them.

???? "argh hey!".

From the distance, Zai heard a woman yell. Turned around and noticed a scruffy-looking man stealing some bags and running in his direction. The man was about to sprint past him until he pulled on his collar choking him and stopping him in his tracks.

"??? W-What the hell." The man protested.

"You're acting like you're in the wrong-" Zai was cut off by yelling coming nearby.

"HAAAAAAA! TAKE THIS!" The woman came out of nowhere dropkicking the thief.

"Oof!"

"Woah!" Zai was startled by the fierce kick that sent the man and the bags flying.

The woman goes up to the man and grabs him by the collar "That's what you get you jerk! You think NOW is the time to commit petty crimes!"

"S-sorry~" he cried running away.

Zai stood there awkward at the situation but was glad things came out alright. Right before he was going to head out he was stopped by the woman.

"H-hey!" she yelled.

Zai turned around to the woman blushing. he noticed her surprising beauty when she's not mad. Sharp facial features and her sky-blue eyes contrast her short black hair. She was so beautiful that he was slightly paralyzed by her.

"You're seriously not goin' to leave me now right!? Help me pick up my stuff!" the atmosphere was quickly ruined, Zai sighed internally but complied, and came to aid the struggling woman.

"Sorry about that, I just had some stuff to do, so I kinda forgot." He said while picking up some minerals, smithing tools, and groceries.

"????, I didn't know chivalry died so young" She complained as she began walking with the rest of her bags.

"I didn't mean to be disrespectful or anything. Jeez, besides, I have a lot on my mind as I said." Zai said annoyed.

"What could be on your mind to just leave a helpless woman like me to carry all this stuff" she sarcastically inquired.

"You're anything but helpless from what I've seen. I'm also new to Gleeland, but I may or may not have come here completely broke…" Zai said embarrassingly.

"How is it possible to one of the most luxuries cities in Voua, with no money?" She had an overly shocked expression on her face.

"I get it, ok, I may have underestimated the cost of travel, and now I have nowhere to stay until the Demon Force recruitment day."

"Oh, is that so? Why do you want to join the demon forces?" she inquired.

"I uh, need the citizenship" ???? He thought to himself.

"Ah, I guess you're not from here then," she replied, "But does it have to be the Demon Forces," she muttered to herself with a glum look on her face.

"Hmm?"

"Nothing- well, since you'd be doing us a service, and because you helped me, ill let you stay with me for the time being."

"W-what? Seriously?"

"Yea, it's the least I could do, we're already here anyway."

"wait what? HUH!??" Zai finally came to his senses and realized he was already at the woman's house. It was a relatively large hybrid of a home and workshop. "Since when did I get here?"

"Does that matter now? You need a place to stay, and I hate being in someone's debt, two birds one stone y'know?" she said casually.

"Oh well, thanks I guess, uhh, can I get your name?"

"Zonira, it's Zonira Valentina." She said

Zai immediately thought back to the armoury he saw before. "Are you perhaps somehow connected to the Valentina Armory?" he asked.

"Oh yea, That's my dad's store. I came here from Carasen because of the recent demon attack, and decided id stay here and help my pops out a bit."

"Ok, thanks for taking me in Zonira,"

"Please, just call me Nira."

"Nira it is." He smiled.

Nira helped Zai get situated, the inside of her place was compact and messy everywhere. She led him to the basement where she let him stay, the basement was even more cluttered than everywhere else. Tools, weapons, contraptions of all sorts were scattered everywhere except for the small corner where the bed was.

"Sorry 'bout the mess, but you'll get used to it, that's basically this entire place."

"Thanks again, since it's already getting kinda late I'm going to sleep" Said Zai, he was feeling exhausted and relieved now that he has a place to stay for a week until recruitment.

"My thoughts exactly, if you need anything, don't bother. If you're in trouble, scream, but that doesn't mean I'll help. Oh, and don't try anything funny while I'm asleep, weirdo." She playfully said leaving.

What an interesting person Zai thought to himself ?? ???, ?? ??????? ?? ???? ? ???????? ????????????? This was the first time in years Zai has been acquainted with someone like this. ???? ????? ??? ????????… ????, ???? ?????'? ?????? ???. ???? ???? ?? ?? ???? ?? ????????? ????? ?? ??????. ???? ?? ??? ????????? ?? ? ??? ???????. Zai contemplated as he sat on the bed about everything that happened, he was both excited and nervous, but he couldn't help but have a smile on his face and speak.

"I'm Finally gonna make it."

1