Chapter 4
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Michael did not risk leaving the house. Although mostly people were visible on the streets, monsters appeared occasionally. He wouldn’t endanger Rose outside, or leave her alone at home.

Work or school was out of the question after all that had happened.

Of course, food supplies were limited, and given their appetite lately, there won't be enough food for a long time. Well, for the first day or two, it was definitely possible not to worry about anything.

From time to time it was reported on TV that the president was going to make a statement today at 18-00. Michael hoped that the president would be able to clarify the situation, instead of carrying another banal nonsense.

- I also want to listen to the president - Rose perked up.

Michael did not know if this was a good idea, given the situation with the virus, but after a little reflection, he decided that it was unlikely that the president would go naked or carry some outright nonsense that is prohibited for children.

- Okay Rose, let's listen to the president together.

Soon it was finally time for the President to speak.

At first he spoke the standard patriotic and inspiring nonsense, but soon got down to business.

- Dear citizens of America, I sincerely condole with everyone who has lost their loved ones due to this terrible virus. However, I hasten to inform you that the probability of mutation is very low, so the situation is under control. All remaining monsters will be hunted down shortly.

- I think many of you have already noticed a sharp increase in appetite and are worried about this. I hasten to assure you that this is absolutely normal. We have all already confronted the virus and managed to avoid mutation. Not only that, the virus has positively affected us and improved human bodies. Hence the accelerated metabolism. It is recommended that you eat well to avoid side effects. In these difficult times, the government will not stand aside, we will try to provide citizens with enough healthy food. There is no reason for panic; rather, on the contrary, this is a new round of evolution and progress for humanity. Thanks for attention.

Michael didn't know if what the president said was true. There was a lot of speculation on the Internet regarding current situation. But what was said sounded logical enough.

He decided that they should have a good meal again.

That night he and Rose slept together, he was afraid to leave her alone.

Rose woke up in the middle of the night and woke him up.

- Dad, I want to eat. - she babbled.

- Of course, baby, I will quickly cook something right now, be patient a little.

It turned out that he was too optimistic, given their gluttony, food ended at an incredible pace.

The next day, Michael again watched the surroundings from the window. There were more people, but he didn't see the monsters anymore. People were armed with anything and were obviously agitated. Some hippies prowled in search of monsters, others tried to buy food. The situation didn't look very good, but there was no choice.

Michael decided that he should still go outside and try to buy something to eat, of course Rose will have to go with him. He was not going to leave her here alone.

Michael hid a knife in his bosom and picked up a baseball bat that he had kept since college. She and Rose put on masks and went outside.

Holding hands, they walked to the nearest store. it was closed, but one of the windows was broken. Michael walked closer to the window.

- Hey! Get the fuck out of here! - shouted a full man and pointed the rifle in the direction of Michael.

In his other hand the man was holding something like a sheet and, apparently, was going to cover the broken window.

Michael raised his hands - Sorry, I just wanted to buy ...

- I don't give a shit what you wanted there, get the fuck out of here until I blow your head off! - the man shouted.

There was no need to persuade twice, and Michael grabbed Rose in his arms and got away from there.

Most likely, the store was robbed and now the owner was not happy with the customers, perhaps he wanted to keep food supplies for himself alone.

Michael thought a little and decided to move in the direction of a large supermarket, he did not believe that even there he would be denied the opportunity to buy food.

There were other people walking the streets, most of them probably had the same goal. People who had enough food at home would hardly go outside. Of course, among them were troublemakers who happily incited chaos and confusion. Fortunately, no one has touched them yet.

Passing one of the alleys, Rosa suddenly screamed.

- Monster!

Michael became alert and looked down the alley. Not too far, there really was a monster near the trash cans. He was small, most likely some kind of mutated cat. However, this was only a guess, because this creature could hardly be called a cat. The ugly creature was devouring something with appetite.

Michael felt a burning rage and hatred at the sight of this terrible mutant, he rushed towards him mechanically, completely forgetting about the baseball bat and the knife. To his surprise, Rose got to the monster even faster than himself. Within seconds, they caught and tore the mutant apart.

All the hatred and anger finally disappeared after killing the monster, it seemed the haze cleared away and Michael turned his attention to Rose again.

- Are you okay Rose? - he asked anxiously.

- Yes, daddy, I defeated the monster! - Rose said excitedly.

Michael smiled too. They really got stronger and faster. These monsters were no longer a threat for them.

Moreover, it seemed that their hunger was also partially satisfied.

They did not notice at all how their tentacles devoured the remains of the poor cat. It seemed their brain was simply ignoring such an obvious fact for some odd reason.

______

Note

The infected do not notice the changes in their body at all, the virus also affects their mind. They do not notice spots, sarcomas, transformations in the end. In addition, the virus automatically sees all non-infected as a threat and in the eyes of the infected they look like monsters.

3