Request
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Earlier...

 

“What do you mean you want to ask the kid to help us during the [Incursion]s? Are you crazy?”

 

David frowned as Kurimuzon slammed his hands down onto his desk, sighing. “I know it sounds like I am, but I can promise you that I’ve thought this through. Tell me, have you ever met someone with the [Heroic] trait before? Physically met them, and seen their stats, I mean.”

 

Kurimuzon took his hands off the desk as he crossed his arms, frowning. “No, sir. I have not. Is that why you want him to help?”

David waved his head back and forth. “It’s a part of it, yes. I am not at liberty to share the... finer details of the trait, but I will tell you this, there is a reason many people with the [Heroic] trait go down in history as a local myth or legend.”

 

Sighing, David leaned back, rubbing his eyes. “Not only that, but what Melissa told me about his run through the second floor is both intriguing, and worrying. I’m sure you understand what I mean about that.”

 

Sitting down in a chair across from David, Kurimuzon hummed. “Yea, the bells are bad enough, but something messed with the monster spawning. Hobgoblins don’t spawn on Floor 2. And they are never big enough to carry a [Goblin Archer] on their shoulder…”

 

David nodded. “There is only one monster in the UA Dungeon that can have a [Goblin Archer] as a supporting creature. I don’t blame Izuku for not realising, but something caused a Hobgoblin to be spawned in with the size and stats of an Orc.”

 

Kurimuzon tapped his fingers against the arm of the chair, his other hand resting on the pommel of his sword. “So what the hell does that mean? I’m worried about monsters spawning for him in lower floors than they should, but how would something cause that to begin with?”

 

David shook his head. “That’s the thing, I don’t really know. The fact that we are facing two [Incursions] in one week points to something being wrong with the Mana levels in the area, and I guess that could affect the Dungeon, but so far nothing has gone wrong for any other teams.”

 

Putting his elbows to the table, he placed his chin on his hands. “Which leaves me with only one other theory. The Orc-Hobgoblin was strong enough to provide a significant challenge, but at his level, it was not an impossible task.”

 

David sighed. “From what he told Melissa about the bells, the messages, and the Orc-Hobgoblin, I believe that the Dungeon itself is trying to cultivate Izuku’s potential. There is obviously something special about that boy, and while we have no clue what it is yet, the Dungeon seems to.”

 

Standing up, David moved over to his bookshelf, seemingly searching for one.“Dungeons are incredibly sensitive to the changes in the worlds Mana. They have to be to do their job, taking it in and purifying it to create monsters and items, and maintain their portals and demi-realms.”

 

“If the Dungeon has sensed something wrong, and has decided to help a [Heroic] soul grow strong enough to help, then we need to do the same. I’m planning on sending word to Yagi about the boy as well. As the highest levelled person with the [Heroic] trait in the known world, I would like his expertise on how to help the boy grow. Ah, there it is.”

 

David grabbed out a book and tossed it over to Kurimuzon. It floated over slowly, landing in the man’s lap. Reading the cover, Kurimuzon hummed. “Incursions: A guide to the commonly spawned. Written by Kaina and Beros Tsutsumi. Wasn’t she the empire’s top assassin duo, before Yagi overthrew that old despot?”

 

David nodded. “Kaina and her sister were, and still potentially are, the most powerful archers in the world. And because of her extended travels for… her work, she was witness to a great many [Incursions] over the years. After Yagi overthrew the old ruler and freed them from their pact, Kaina wrote this book at my request.”

 

“When you give Izuku the offer, make sure to give him this book as well. Even if he doesn’t accept to assist with this set of [Incursion]s, it would be good for him to learn the commonly spawned monsters for the future.”

 

Standing up, Kurimuzon turned to leave but was stopped when David spoke again. “I know you think this is risky, but I promise you that I won’t be leaving him to the jaws of fate. I’ve hired that mercenary you hate so much to assist during the coming [Incursion]s.”

 

Kurimuzon groaned. “Oh god, please not her. She might be strong, but she’s so damn smug about it all the time. God, you lose one fucking arm wrestling match and you never hear the end of it.”

 

David chuckled. “Sorry, my friend, but Miss Usagiyama is one of the best mercenaries this side of the great sea. She will be arriving tomorrow night and assisting us whether Izuku accepts my request or not.”

 

Kurimuzon sighed. “Fine, sir. But I am formally putting it on the record that I am displeased by this.”

 

Laughing outright, David very obviously pretended to write something on a piece of parchment. “Duly noted. Enjoy the rest of your day, my friend.”

 

Kurimuzon nodded as he left, heading towards the Sleeping Boar Inn, the most likely place to find him. And if the kid wasn’t at the Inn, he was probably at the Hatsume Forge.

In the present...

 

Kurimuzon just waved his hand for Izuku to follow him. 

 

“Let’s walk and talk, David wanted me to check up on you, and to make a request on his behalf.”

 

Izuku walked next to Kurimuzon as the man exited the Hatsume Forge, listening. “Essentially, while David heard from Melissa that you were alright, he wanted me to check that you were in fighting shape, after taking a day off of going into the dungeon.”

 

Izuku frowned, confused as to why he would be asking that. “I mean, I feel fine now, and it’s still only around noon, so I’ll have the remainder of the day to rest. I should be fine?”

 

Kurimuzon nodded, smiling. “It’s good to hear that you’re ok, David told me that you had an… eventful trip to Floor 2.”

 

Izuku hummed, remembering the… odd Hobgoblin, the Dungeon seemingly helping him, the fact that he had to sleep inside the dungeon… “Eventful is definitely the right word, I’d say. But it’s fine. What does Sir Shield need from me?”

 

Kurimuzon went quiet for a moment, before sighing. “You helped escort Young Melissa out into the forest to check on the [Mana Springs] that are about to rupture, correct?”

 

Izuku nodded. “Yea, the first one is happening fairly soon, right?”

 

Kurimuzon grunted, nodding his head. “I guess Melissa didn’t share the specifics, then. The first [Mana Spring] is set to rupture in 2 days, starting a [Water] Incursion. The announcement for that one should be made this evening.”

 

Kurimuzon checked around to make sure that no one else was listening in, and after seemingly clearing the area around them, continued. “But the issue is that the next one is set to rupture only 4 days after that. And that’ll be an [Air] incursion”

 

Izuku blinked as he realised how many monsters would be coming, and how soon it was. “That’s… a lot. Are the city guards going to be able to deal with so many monsters back to back like that?”

 

Kurimuzon hummed, moving his head left and right as he thought about the question. “See, I believe that we could, but David seems to be worried about the Incursions wearing us down too much. This leads me, finally, to the request David wanted me to make.”

 

Kurimuzon stopped and placed a hand on Izuku’s shoulder. “David wants you to be part of the defence force for the town. He believes that you could be helpful in the defence and that the defence itself could help level you up so you can get your second class sooner. You’ll get some silvers out of it too, maybe a gold or two  if you bag a big monster”

 

Izuku’s eye widened as he processed Kurimuzons words. “B-but, I’m super low level compared to the rest of you, how much help could I really be? I’m grateful that he wants to help me level up faster, but wouldn’t me being there just put me in your way?”

 

Kurimuzon shrugged. “I’m not sure, to be honest. You’ve got talent, going through the dungeon by yourself, and from what you and David have told me, you’ve got something special going on that we haven’t figured out just yet regarding the dungeon.”

 

Izuku’s eyebrow raised, and he gulped. “You mean the messages and the bells, right?”

 

Kurimuzon gave him a look. “Yea, kid. I mean the messages and the bells. You know how damn weird they are, right? David hasn’t said much, but you’ve piqued his curiosity as well. Said that you reminded him of someone or something like that.”

 

Kurimuzon shook his head. “I’m getting off track. You don’t have to decide now, but if you could make your decision if you want to help out the defence force or not by tomorrow night, that’d be good.”

 

He rummaged through his pack, before handing Iuzku a book. “Just make sure to tell David or myself directly so we can get it sorted asap.”

 

Kurimuzon left Izuku then, and Izuku sat down on a nearby bench, Sir Ratsudon sitting below the seat as a menu appeared to his left. The book Kurimuzon gave him sat next to him.

 

He knew that he should really be thinking about the pros and cons of David’s request, thinking about what he should do logically, but then again…

 

Defend the Town!

Mustafu has called for aid! And you shall answer! 

Help defend the town of Mustafu from the upcoming [Water] and [Air] incursions

[10-12] Silver and [1-2] Gold

1500XP upon completion

 

He had never been a very logical person.

1